• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Welp my headsets just died on me well, they still work for listening but the mic is dead. I opened them and I can't fix them :(
They are Astro A50's 3rd gen.

Can anyone recommend me a great quality headset? No more Astros pls hehe. The best one out there that won't make me go bankrupt.

Also is it possible for me to use the headset and just buy a microphone for in game chatting. I have no soundcard just the motherboard internal one. So I was thinking something USB?

Forgot to mention I'm a PC player only.

Last edited:

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I had my Astro A40's (2011 Edition) break on me like half a year ago. I know the pain.

Also is it possible for me to use the headset and just buy a microphone for in game chatting. I have no soundcard just the motherboard internal one. So I was thinking something USB?

That is a possibility. I know lots of people that are using their favorite headsets, but then use something like the Blue Yeti microphone (for example) for voice chat. I'm not sure on what platforms you play on and if you use voice chat on them, but keep in mind that USB mics won't work on Xbox One for example (not sure about PS4 or Switch).

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
The Hyper X series is the most consistent quality audio output out there. I'd recommend that if you are strictly looking for video gaming headsets.

Oct 25, 2017
The Antlion modmic is a decent solution if you already have a pair of good headphones. Not the greatest quality to be honest but it works.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
I replaced my 4 year old Sony Golds recently with a pair of HyoerX Cloud Alphas and I have been very happy. The build quality is very good, they are more comfortable, and the sound quality is good. I definitely recommend.

OP
OP

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
I had my Astro A40's (2011 Edition) break on me like half a year ago. I know the pain.

That is a possibility. I know lots of people that are using their favorite headsets, but then use something like the Blue Yeti microphone (for example) for voice chat. I'm not sure on what platforms you play on and if you use voice chat on them, but keep in mind that USB mics won't work on Xbox One for example (not sure about PS4 or Switch).
I'm on pc only

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Welp my headsets just died on me well, they still work for listening but the mic is dead. I opened them and I can't fix them :(

Can anyone recommend me a great quality headset? No more Astros pls hehe. The best one out there that won't make me go bankrupt.

I do believe the Modmic could be a very good replacement.
Basically, its an attachable mic so you can turn any pair of cans into a gaming headset.

It comes with a 3.5mm -> USB adapter i think

edit: Oh, no wait, i guess that one's 10bucks extra.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
This might seem like an odd recommendation, but I use a pair of Plantronics Voyager Focus UCs. Absolutely stunning sound with noise-cancelling, very ergonomic and lightweight, with great mic.

You might need to shuck the feeling that you're a day trader on the hunt, but compared to chunky gamer fare, these are class.

manunkindh

Jun 7, 2018
About 1 month ago I bought 2 pairs of Turtle Beach Stealth 700 for X and PS4. Couldn't be happier with the sound quality and I def reccomend them.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I went with a pair of Arctis 7s recently. Really happy with them compared to the Sony Gold wireless set and they were not that pricey. This was mainly for PS4 gaming and I thought Astros were a little pricey due to features I wouldn't be able to use.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
My HyperX Cloud II's just recently died in less than a year of owning them. They were great while they worked.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
I very recently had a long search for a new headset until I eventually gave up and just use my preferred ear buds and a separate desktop USB mic.

Mic - Samson G-Track Pro - It's relatively heavy and bulky but recording quality is great. Also is really good if there is a mix of people in one room and people online.
Earbuds - JVC Marshmallow - In my , although these are cheap they punch well above their weight. I suspect JVC has a patent or something on using memory foam in ear buds. Makes them more comfortable and carry decent bass for their size.

It took a little bit of tinkering to get stop the mic from picking up background noise especially if I'm using speakers, but once it was there I've found the setup to be much better in terms of comfort and sound quality.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

Beyerdynamic.

Get yourself a studio-quality headset made in Germany for the same price as Astro's plastic toys.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
My HyperX Cloud II's just recently died in less than a year of owning them. They were great while they worked.

Same. The breakaway inline remote has had problems since about six months in on mine; the mute switch makes everyone else hear an echo and the headphone jack on the remote is constantly scratchy and people in DIscord complain about me cutting in and out. This was after I had a set of Cloud I that died within a year, too.

Won't be going back to them.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
Hyper X Cloud 2. Been using my pair for a good 3-4 years ? I'd have to dig for the receipt. Excellent headset. I use them daily for hours. Whether to watch Netflix or play games on PC and PS4

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
No offense, but the Astros A50s are trash. I stopped using them a while ago. A big gaming purchase regret for me.

Steel Series had been good to me so far.

Oct 27, 2017
V-moda Crossfade Wireless 1 (currently 115 at Amazon) combined with a V-moda Boompro Mic.

Or if you intend to get a gaming headset again, Amazon and Target are both selling the Hyperx Cloud Alpha (much better than the Cloud 1 and Cloud 2) for 75 right now.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Since it's PC only and I don't really know what games you play...

Sennheiser HD58x headphones
Samson Q2U microphone

edit: Scarlett Solo if you want to integrate it all.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I say this every time people recommend the HyperX Cloud's (I went through 2 pairs myself), but I advise you to stay away due to the built in audio cable.

It will eventually fail on you, which is why I went through 2 pairs. They sound great thanks to their larger drivers, but the built in cable and my experience with what that brings means I can't recommend them anymore.

If you can afford a wee bit more, go for the Alpha for a removable cable. If not that, grab the Arctis 3 and use their EQ software to fine-tune the audio on PC and it comes out sounding pretty good.

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Speaking of headsets, my Sony Gold headset just broke too. Those plastic hinges broke on one side. I can't believe how cheap that thing is despite costing $100.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
So I'm thinking of getting the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 but one thing confuses me. I have an older TB set (PX4) and even though it's got the optical-out wireless surround receiver thingy like the Stealth 700, it requires this little cable run from the headphones to the controller in order to chat. It doesn't mention this on the 700 website - is that just not a thing anymore? Do new sets just connect to the PS4 via Bluetooth for chat? If so why did I ever need this effing cable?

MCD

Honest Work
Oct 27, 2017
PC and using Astro A50 so you have a preference for wireless headsets, I'm guessing.

I'd look into Steelseries wireless headsets. Same goes for HyperX I believe they also have a wireless one.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No offense, but the Astros A50s are trash. I stopped using them a while ago. A big gaming purchase regret for me.

Steel Series had been good to me so far.
I won my A50 in a contest like 6 years ago and they're still great. Can't say the same for the keyboards and mice I've went through.

Probably would never pay money for one though. I often get lost looking around for the best headphones coupled with a modmic and give up eventually. Would absolutely go that route if I could get some solid recommendations.

Like, the A50 has the mixamp. If I bought a pair of standalone studio headphones, would I need something like the mixamp, or would it be capable of sounding better than the A50 without one?

Surprised at the number of people in here recommending gaming headsets. I thought you guys were better than that.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't know why people say Astro's are shit when they clearly aren't. They're even better than what many "studio quality" brands put out, but at that price they'd better be.

Rtings is a good site when comparing headphones.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/astro/a50-wireless
Rtings is a good site for TV critiques. Their ratings scale is completely fucked for everything else, especially headphones. They review gaming headsets on a completely different scale from standard headphones. Astro A50s might be good for a gaming headset, as it should be, because it's the most expensive gaming headset you can buy. But in terms of what you're getting, you'd be significantly better off with a quality pair of headphones and a modmic. Both the audio and voice quality will be significantly better.

The reason why most people would suggest not to get a gaming headset is because they're overpriced for what they are.

You go find an audiophile thread where someone actually recommends a gaming headset.