• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Best Boy?

• Deku

Votes: 250 41.7%
  • All Might

Votes: 179 29.9%
  • Bakugou

Votes: 65 10.9%
  • Kirishima

Votes: 46 7.7%
  • Other (Type in comments)

Votes: 59 9.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's the comic book influence probably where there isn't arcs like manga
Comic books absolutely have arcs, whatchu on about?

It's just a little more freeform than most. Each arc merges with the preceding and following really cleanly, and there's a ton of threads running through the whole thing that get picked up and dropped as needed.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm coming in on this arc thing a little confused because 1) MHA absolutely has arcs. Where is this "no arcs" thing coming from? We've referred to the various arcs tons of times in this thread. 2) stories, in general, have arcs(or as they're more commonly referred to in the West, acts). Especially most forms of long-term stories. That's how stories work, its usually a series of small arcs/acts reaching a climax closing out some story threads within that arc/act while leaving room for other story points to progress forward in a different way than before to help create a bedrock for the next arc/act.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It has arcs for sure. I just agreed with the "not really" sentiment because of a private nitpick I have with the series. I look at MHA's contemporaries, and it's pretty damn easy to know where the arcs begin and end. Chunin Exam arc. Soul Society arc. Enies Lobby arc. Chimera Ant arc. Etc, etc.

They're visually distinct arcs. I have a much easier time of figuring out once said arc has begun due to their visual presentation differing from whatever the last arc was. Also it helps that their names tend to stand out as well.

Meanwhile MHA has been trickier for me, I feel like it's lacking in visual variety. It just feels like we're in this city (and school by extension) all the time. And yea, we've gone places (the school festival, the camp), the majority of it just feels so... samey. It feels like it all just blends together. Like one of the arcs is legit called the Rescue Bakugou arc by the fandom. It just sounds so damn awkward to say aloud. Now, this could be partly because I might just not ultimately all that attentive as I should be, but the feeling persists regardless.

When people talk about their favorite arcs in this series, all I can really remember is like the individual moments, stuff like All Might v. All for One for example. But someone asked me to describe the settings of these arcs, I'd admittedly be at a loss for a lot of them.

Even with this arc, it is indisputably an arc, I know how said arc ended (albeit because the last chapter literally said as much), but the arc pretty much just had us in that basement.

So yea, it has arcs. It does have stuff like villains and such to help out a little in labeling them, and yet... I still feel like this anyways. I dunno, it's kind of hard to articulate properly, but basically I wish MHA was more adventurous with its settings.

Oct 25, 2017
So yea, it has arcs. It does have stuff like villains and such to help out a little in labeling them, and yet... I still feel like this anyways. I dunno, it's kind of hard to articulate properly, but basically I wish MHA was more adventurous with its settings.

No, I think you did a good job of articulating it. I didn't really think about it like that, but you're right. Now that you mention it, there hasn't really been much visual variety and I don't think MHA has really developed its setting very well outside of a few key aspects. One of my favorite moments of the last arc was Kirishima's patrol because it showed us a bit more of the city and of the daily lives in it. And on the other end, even though A4O destroyed large parts of the city, I didn't really care about that aspect of the fight because it was also just kind of a generic city so I didn't really have any emotional connection outside of "people live here, I guess." I've never thought about the visual aspect of it, but that's kind of a good tell now that you mention it.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think the problem is that it is also a school manga, and you don't have much variety in that, regardless if it is action like MHA or comedy or romance like most school mangas.
Most battle shounens also tell about adventures like DB (And in a lesser extent DBZ) and OP. MHA doesn'r tell that.

Oct 25, 2017
But even as a school manga, I don't think that's really a good excuse as school mangas tend to try and break up their settings with various school events and trips and we don't really see that in MHA. I mean, I'd like it to. I think seeing Deku's class do a culture festival would be dope and a lot of fun.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But even as a school manga, I don't think that's really a good excuse as school mangas tend to try and break up their settings with various school events and trips and we don't really see that in MHA. I mean, I'd like it to. I think seeing Deku's class do a culture festival would be dope and a lot of fun.
We did have 2 "arcs" about that tho, school festival and the camp trip. In fact the only reason I think people consider camp trip and kamino arcs separate is because of the different location.

Oct 25, 2017
We did have 2 "arcs" about that tho, school festival and the camp trip. In fact the only reason I think people consider camp trip and kamino arcs separate is because of the different location.

But what I mean is they both just kind of broke down into "Do the fights" I'll give the school arc credit for having them do various little challenges before that (love the race) but it still came down to a tournament where everyone fought. What I'm talking about is stuff like the moment where they all went into each other's rooms. Moments where the point isn't "You've got to fight!" I think I would have enjoyed their big exam a while back if we focused more on the people doing the saving than the people fighting Orca. Even if the point was "They shouldn't have fought" the story still focused on the fight. I know its shonen battle manga and all that but maybe I'm just moaning cause we haven't had a good clean moment of levity in awhile and I imagine once Handy does his thing we'll get a silly chapter or two hopefully.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But what I mean is they both just kind of broke down into "Do the fights" I'll give the school arc credit for having them do various little challenges before that (love the race) but it still came down to a tournament where everyone fought. What I'm talking about is stuff like the moment where they all went into each other's rooms.
I agree about the camp arc being too fight focused, btw if you want the arc to be more than fights you should read the novels, I don't know if they are considered canon but I liked them for showing more of class B.
Moments where the point isn't "You've got to fight!" I think I would have enjoyed their big exam a while back if we focused more on the people doing the saving than the people fighting Orca. Even if the point was "They shouldn't have fought" the story still focused on the fight. I know its shonen battle manga and all that but maybe I'm just moaning cause we haven't had a good clean moment of levity in awhile and I imagine once Handy does his thing we'll get a silly chapter or two hopefully.
I think the second part of the exam arc is the weakest part of the whole manga, and that was after the first part that was so cool with a lot of members of class A doing something new and things being about more than fights.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree about the camp arc being too fight focused, btw if you want the arc to be more than fights you should read the novels, I don't know if they are considered canon but I liked them for showing more of class B.

I actually didn't mind/liked the camp arc mostly for, like what Lotus said above, the fact a lot of new villains faces showed up and even though a lot of it did break down into fights, the villains presented interesting problems. Like the gas guy. Or the way Dabi kept the Class B teacher occupied with a clone. Or birdkid going rampaging. Or that weirdo cannibal whose power was to shoot his teeth everywhere, presenting Baku with an enemy with mobility that matched/beat his own. (I really want them to bring back tooth guy. His power was weird and I liked that.) Compare that to this current arc where the big problems were essential "I have to beat this opponent to go forward." The guy controlling the labyrinth was kinda interesting to me at first, but I wished they did more neat things with him in the end.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I actually didn't mind/liked the camp arc mostly for, like what Lotus said above, the fact a lot of new villains faces showed up and even though a lot of it did break down into fights, the villains presented interesting problems. Like the gas guy. Or the way Dabi kept the Class B teacher occupied with a clone. Or birdkid going rampaging. Or that weirdo cannibal whose power was to shoot his teeth everywhere, presenting Baku with an enemy with mobility that matched/beat his own. (I really want them to bring back tooth guy. His power was weird and I liked that.) Compare that to this current arc where the big problems were essential "I have to beat this opponent to go forward." The guy controlling the labyrinth was kinda interesting to me at first, but I wished they did more neat things with him in the end.
I think the fights themselves were alright to good in this arc but I would be lieing if I said that the "Go on I will fight this guy" trope wasn't a bit boting.
That is the reason why i think it will be better in the anime, I feel Bones did a good job improving the flow of things in the anime. The final exams arc in the anime felt more about the class instead of only Momo, Bakugou and Deku in the manga.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comic books absolutely have arcs, whatchu on about?

It's just a little more freeform than most. Each arc merges with the preceding and following really cleanly, and there's a ton of threads running through the whole thing that get picked up and dropped as needed.
Mhmm. I think it's pretty refreshing. You can break it up into arcs but it would be like looking at Battle Tendency and saying there's a "Training in Rome Arc" and a "Colosseum Fight Arc". Maybe it's just because it moves pretty fast but I'm always surprised with how much time passes between episodes.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Well, all the other big shonen showcase fantastic worlds or dimentions that are completely new (OP, BC, DB, HxH) or try to merge different worlds with realistic settings (Bleach, Noragami, yuyuhakusho?) so yeah, when you have MHA set in a normal world but with superpowers the author has to be a lot more creative to engage people with the settings. Even then i feel like Horikoshi has done a great job considering the limitations of the world he created. Maybe he could go crazy with architecture?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, all the other big shonen showcase fantastic worlds or dimentions that are completely new (OP, BC, DB, HxH) or try to merge different worlds with realistic settings (Bleach, Noragami, yuyuhakusho?) so yeah, when you have MHA set in a normal world but with superpowers the author has to be a lot more creative to engage people with the settings. Even then i feel like Horikoshi has done a great job considering the limitations of the world he created. Maybe he could go crazy with architecture?
The weird thing to me is that apparently people consider there to be Sagas too, and apparently the first one isnt over yet despite the whole end of All Might and moving to dorms thing.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
For the most part, I've seen it as arcs for the series, but I can see where the others are coming from. It does blend well together. Some are more clearly... separate/contained, like the sports festival, but they still easily connect to the other events/arcs that follow/precede them. Looking at the wiki, I didn't even realize the first season supposedly had multiple arcs. It was just one event after another for me, even with the USJ attack.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I mean there are clear arcs its just that the story does a good job of starting a new arc as everything in the last arc is wrapping up, theres not any real padding between each arc but its pretty clear there are arcs constantly throughout the story and they are pretty well defined.

You have the begining arc which goes through Izuku entering UA
You have the second arc which is about Izuku's first days of school
You have the third arc where the villains finally enter
The fourth Arc is the School Festival
Fifth Arc is Stain
6th is the Final Exams

And so on and so forth, some are longer then others but theres a clear start point and end point for each arc.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the most part, I've seen it as arcs for the series, but I can see where the others are coming from. It does blend well together. Some are more clearly... separate/contained, like the sports festival, but they still easily connect to the other events/arcs that follow/precede them. Looking at the wiki, I didn't even realize the first season supposedly had multiple arcs. It was just one event after another for me, even with the USJ attack.

Yep and there isn't much of a filler chapter after each arcs which other shonens do. Besides arc isn't really necessary for a being a good manga as seen on works outside of shonen.

Talal

Unbreakable
Oct 25, 2017
Binged the 2 seasons last week and read the manga just after. Amazing show that reminded me of the feeling of watching shonen anime when I was a kid.
Great stuff.

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_ozilwc0hgH1su3ku9o1_500.gif

Source

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Not really a fan of the leader of the League of Villains yet. I mean his actual abilities haven't impressed me at all. Particularly compared to Overhaul and All for One. I have yet to see much to justify why he is in the position he is...

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Heh. Todoroki is awesome. Super tempted to change to his avatar.

My Hero Academia should be blowing up like crazy. Its an amazing young adult show.
I would use an avatar of best boy too, but for whatever reason, I'm inclined to use avatars of my favorite female characters on forums. But yeah, Shoto is awesome. He was one of my favorites during the sports festival arc, but became my favorite in the next arc and has remained so since. (✿◡‿◡)

It's already pretty popular right now, though, but I imagine it'll be loads more popular come season 3.
That's the whale henchmen right?
Aren't those Twice?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
MHA is already popular enough in the west. What it needs is to be more popular in japan. And also a game that doesn't suck please.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I would use an avatar of best boy too, but for whatever reason, I'm inclined to use avatars of my favorite female characters on forums. But yeah, Shoto is awesome. He was one of my favorites during the sports festival arc, but became my favorite in the next arc and has remained so since. (✿◡‿◡)

It's already pretty popular right now, though, but I imagine it'll be loads more popular come season 3.

Aren't those Twice?
No remember the license exam when one of final obstacles was saving people while being attacked by villains played by the number 10 hero a killer whale guy and his sidekicks who are playing henchmen

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
MHA is already popular enough in the west. What it needs is to be more popular in japan. And also a game that doesn't suck please.
It's not so popular in Japan?

I'd kill for a console fighting game, though. Ugh. Just imagining ASW or CC2 making a game for it... *drools*
No remember the license exam when one of final obstacles was saving people while being attacked by villains played by the number 10 hero a killer whale guy and his sidekicks who are playing henchmen
Oh! Gang Orca! Right. Forgot what they looked like, my bad. They look a lot like Twice, though. The mask, anyway.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not so popular in Japan?

I'd kill for a console fighting game, though. Ugh. Just imagining ASW or CC2 making a game for it... *drools*

Oh! Gang Orca! Right. Forgot what they looked like, my bad. They look a lot like Twice, though. The mask, anyway.
It is the 3rd place after Haikyuu for WSJ iirc. 4th if you count hiatus x hiatus, but I wouldn't count that. When I say more popular is more like SDS or even AoT levels of sales

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It is the 3rd place after Haikyuu for WSJ iirc. 4th if you count hiatus x hiatus, but I wouldn't count that. When I say more popular is more like SDS or even AoT levels of sales
Oh. Huh. That's pretty disappointing. Didn't even know The Seven Deadly Sins was that popular, though.

Lakuza

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
amazing chapter x_x

Shigaraki had a lot of awesome looking panels and the villain alliance teamwork is great to see improving. It was pretty cool having the entire chapter dedicated to the villains and that they won too XD
Now I couldnt tell if Chisaki is dead from the fire or if he just had his arms destroyed and has to live with that (I'm guessing the latter based on Shigaraki's words to him)

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Best chapter in a damn long while. League > Eight Precepts, now and forever

Status
Not open for further replies.