• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I dont see that as a problem like as I explained, the last arc focused in other aspects of the character and I feel it is being ignored
And that's when people agree to disagree, I myself and some other people aren't really enjoying the direction Ochako been taking, can it all lead to something great that everyone enjoys, sure it's possible but that doesn't mean people shouldn't State their current displeasure because that's how they feel about Ochako right now, and plenty of people are enjoying her character right now and more power to you, I'm not going to say I like it cause I don't

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna mostly agree with NSESN here, like let's take the last arc here, The argument seems to be that Ochako's development focuses too much on Deku, but in my opinion the moment when she jumps in to help Deku and we get a view about her current thoughts on what she wants to be as a hero is more about what happened to Nighteye than anything else. Her crush on Deku is used as an after scene comedy moment and doesn't detract from the moment itself in my opinion.

I can understand why you would be annoyed about the way her crush on Deku is portrayed, and I agree for the most part, but I'm also not going to let that take away from her other developments either. Honestly at least when it comes to other students MHA does have somewhat of a 'the protagonist is the world' problem in MHA. You can even see it in characters like Bakugo and to a lesser extent Todoroki who both have a lot of their character development revolve around or happen because of Deku.

That's all just my opinion though.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The yakuza arc being skipped has nothing to do with her love interest tho
Like the whole love interest thing about her was mostly solved in the license arc, after it was mostly a gag, her arc now is more impacted on her resolve to save people, specially after the death of Nighteye
It compounds the problem. Her fight being skipped but Hori has no problem showing she has a crush on Deku every time we saw her was not a good look. Why did Uraraka's crush have to define her actions for so long?

You keep saying now, and I've already explained she has about 100 chapters where people were disappointed about what she was doing. You say people ignore her recent actions, but what about you ignoring that?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And that's when people agree to disagree, I myself and some other people aren't really enjoying the direction Ochako been taking, can it all lead to something great that everyone enjoys, sure it's possible but that doesn't mean people shouldn't State their current displeasure because that's how they feel about Ochako right now, and plenty of people are enjoying her character right now and more power to you, I'm not going to say I like it cause I don't
That is ok, I am not asking you to like it, hopefully the next arcs Horikoshi make people like her development more

Also just going back to her rival being Toga, I think the villain's arc provides another reason beyond deku to show them being foils of each other

Toga comes from a rich family that repressed her, Ochako comes with a poorer family but tha loved her a lot and supports her, I think that will be important when they finally clash

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I'll say it could be even worse than it is now(Hinata), but this article is claiming something that I just don't think holds up. Uraraka having one good arc recently doesn't make up for the past 100 chapters or so.
Funny that you mentioned Hinata because I was thinking the other day how Ochako is a perfect example why Hinata wouldn't have worked as a main character, the whole too shy to confess routine loses it's charm when a character is around the main character as much as Ochako is, at that point you just want to shout get on with it

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It compounds the problem. Her fight being skipped but Hori has no problem showing she has a crush on Deku every time we saw her was not a good look. Why did Uraraka's crush have to define her actions for so long?

You keep saying now, and I've already explained she has about 100 chapters where people were disappointed about what she was doing. You say people ignore her recent actions, but what about you ignoring that?
because that is only one part of her development, she discovering she likes Deku and having to deal with it is, in my perception, just a part of her overall character arc that is "why I am here trying to become a hero".

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Funny that you mentioned Hinata because I was thinking the other day how Ochako is a perfect example why Hinata wouldn't have worked as a main character, the whole too shy to confess routine loses it's charm when a character is around the main character as much as Ochako is, at that point you just want to shout get on with it
Eh, Hinata's crush for Naruto was completely one sided. Ochako and Deku at least have mutual feelings for eachother even if they're too shy to admit it. That makes their scenes together a lot more charming to me than any of the Hinata stuff in Naruto.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think a big difference is that Hinata wanted to date naruto while Ochako thinks it will muddle her hero studies

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Eh, Hinata's crush for Naruto was completely one sided. Ochako and Deku at least have mutual feelings for eachother even if they're too shy to admit it. That makes their scenes together a lot more charming to me than any of the Hinata stuff in Naruto.
True, but it also amplifies the "get on with it" feeling more, it's more annoying to drag out a romance when both parties have feelings for each other

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but in comparison to Deku, she has a lot less going on outside of that crush, to the point where the main perception the manga fandom has of her nowadays is her being the "love interest". So while not exactly the same as Hinata's situation, its still aggravating nonetheless when you compare her back when she fought Bakugo.

And yea, like Alexi said, both characters have feelings for each other just makes me want them to get on it with even more lol

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Yeah, one of my least favorite romantic tropes. Just get on it with it, will ya. It's cute for sure, but I didn't want it to overshadow what she had going on. Especially since she hasn't even told him yet! Which means it could come back at any time, because you know she won't be able to surpress her feelings forever
because that is only one part of her development, she discovering she likes Deku and having to deal with it is, in my perception, just a part of her overall character arc that is "why I am here trying to become a hero".
Ok, that's fine, but do you get other people don't like that part of her character development? Your perception on it is not everyone's

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, that's fine, but do you get other people don't like that part of her character development? Your perception on it is not everyone's
I get that, I just think it is ok that people like that.
I think it is the same scenario with Bakugo, I think it is ok for people to dislike him but I dont like when some people act like everyone should dislike him and agree that he is a problem

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
True, but it also amplifies the "get on with it" feeling more, it's more annoying to drag out a romance when both parties have feelings for each other
I've just come to accept that relationships don't exist in shonen until the last chapter. Seeing them go on a date or something would be pretty cute, but it ain't happening. It is what it is.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, one of my least favorite romantic tropes. Just get on it with it, will ya. It's cute for sure, but I didn't want it to overshadow what she had going on. Especially since she hasn't even told him yet! Which means it could come back at any time, because you know she won't be able to surpress her feelings forever
Well you never know, Horikoshi could go the Assassination Classroom route

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am ok with deku and ochako not dating until the last chapter because I feel that she dating deku before that would go against her development
But Ojiro and Hagakure should totally date, they deserve something

Oct 25, 2017
Really great cover page, Baks has the best outfit, Kiri and Shoto could have had different outfits, The girls really got good fashion.

Awesome chapter especially with that Shoto Endeavor stuff, but also that Endeavor smile. Amazing.

Always pictured these three working under the top hero post graduation before they got themselves established so its nice to get this taste of it.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good chapters for both series. I liked seeing Deku's mother again. And Endeavor dropping the facade with the kids is hilarious. It was cool to see them keep up with him at the end too. Though that vertical panel right before Endeavor reacts to the distress feels like it needed a sound effect.

As for Vigilantes, His Purple Highness is great. And I really like Shirakumo. Oddly enough, he feels like such a Jump main character with that design. The goggles and nose bandage help sell it. Helps his light/dark dynamic with Aizawa. Looking forward to learning more about his story.

Also the color page is excellent. Love the style, coloring and environmental detail. Perhaps one of my all time favorite Jump color pages.

I just noticed this on my feed, and I honestly have no idea how the author came to this conclusion:

Man what a weird headline and even weirder article.

Ochaco really doesn't seem like she's bucking the trend. I can kinda understand where the writer is coming from given that there was a time when I also considered Ochaco to be a well-used character, and saw the treatment of MHA's female cast as a whole as positive, but man that was a long time ago. The article brings up her fight against Bakugo as the best case but the more time passes and the more it seems like it's not so much a fight that sets an example for her character going forward but rather the exception to the rule. My feelings on that fight have basically gone from how I view "Sakura vs Sasori" when I'm only 40 eps into Shippuden to how I view "Sakura vs Sasori" once I'm done with Naruto. The idea that Ochaco has been keeping up with the powerful characters of the series is ridiculous. And hell that's not even an just an Ochaco problem but a wider "Not Good Enough for Endeavor's Agency" problem.

The irony in what I'm about to say following a recent conversation on this thread about comparisons is not lost on me but fuck it, blame the author for making their praise of Ochaco about "Shonen" as a whole instead of just praising the character in her own right. Hell nah to her breaking the curse of female leads/chars. Hell nah to her being a proof of Battle Shonen maturing with the times.
I certainly feel like the "curse" is being broken right now, across multiple series in Jump I read (like literally, pick a random non-MHA ongoing action series and you're likely to be satisfied). Bleg and I recently talked about it in the One Piece thread aka the Shonen Jump OT and some dude even made a thread kinda related to the idea fairly recently. But if there's a fight going on against the curse, and Ochaco (whose last satisfying fight was 4+ years ago, aka at a time when Black Clover barely had 5 chapters out and Demon Slayer/Promised Neverland/Dr.Stone/Jujutsu Kaisen/Chainsaw Man didn't even exist yet) is somehow meant to be a part of that fight then she sure as hell seems to have been slacking.

I've still got hope for her to get a cool fight again eventually but when "Where's the cool Ochaco fight" is starting to approach "Where's the Last Guardian" territory, you can't expect me to take that article seriously.

giphy.gif
Oh snap you reading MHA finally?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
whose last satisfying fight was 4+ years ago
Wait you didnt like her fight against class B?
It was my favourite part of the end of the arc, specially after I was disappointed with Bakugo's fight and still waiting for the payoff of Deku's powerup to decide on how I feel about it

seriously
this:
tumblr_pm8sbwLdzg1qmc0az_500.jpg

Is one of my most waited moment to be animated

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It was my favourite part of the end of the arc, specially after I was disappointed with Bakugo's fight and still waiting for the payoff of Deku's powerup to decide on how I feel about it

seriously
this:

In all fairness that wasn't much of a fight

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Caught up. Villain arc not my thing but I guess ol shiggy needed a powerup after ol deku started unlocking quirks.

Yea that JT arc really opened the floodgates as far as abrupt powerups go.

Mha monster trio arc will be fun

I gotta see where it goes first because admittedly the hook of the "Big 3" doing their arc ain't doing it for me. I really would like to confirm other students are getting a decent role in this arc, but it currently isn't looking good due to the Big 3 being isolated through Endeavor's internship.

That said, at least Bakugo will finally get his due villain-wise I suppose.

Oct 25, 2017
What didn't click with ya?
Not caring bout any of em.
Yea that JT arc really opened the floodgates as far as abrupt powerups go.

I gotta see where it goes first because admitt
It was weirdly abrupt lol I read the two powerup chapters twice cuz I was admittedly speed reading but they kinda come out of nowhere but the whole badass decaying the town shot was great.

Hopefully no more unlocking quirks happens so soon

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Power up are fine as long as they don't introduce Power Levels, that is when you really need to start worrying

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
True but what people are asking for is for her to get what she got during the sports festival or what Toga got vs Curious, a chapter dedicated to her beating her opponent
I get that people want things to bet the way they would like it to be but it doesn't make the fight and development disappear.
I also like that they make a character that wasn't central for the arc and even the battle be competent, many people were afraid that it was going to be the Shinso and Deku show

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It was weirdly abrupt lol I read the two powerup chapters twice cuz I was admittedly speed reading but they kinda come out of nowhere but the whole badass decaying the town shot was great.

Twice's is fine, that was thankfully established beforehand as a being a mental limitation he placed upon himself. And in the end, he even still has his mental issues, so that was pretty much handled perfectly all things considered.

The other two on the other hand... Major red flags is all I'll say.

Oct 25, 2017
Twice's is fine, that was thankfully established beforehand as a being a mental limitation he placed upon himself. And in the end, he even still has his mental issues, so that was pretty much handled perfectly all things considered.

The other two on the other hand... Major red flags is all I'll say.
I'm still weary of eri but I'll hold judgment cuz remember I was bugging bout other time person and that turned out not to be much

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Not caring bout any of em.

Hopefully no more unlocking quirks happens so soon
Though for Twice and Shigaraki they always had that power, Twice just never used his quirk on himself because of Trauma and Shigaraki was suppressing himself the whole time

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The excuse for Shiggy is something we learn after the fact, in the same arc no less. It's better than how Toga's was handled, but still kinda ehh.... Frankly I'm not even sure how exactly one can suppress something like that (both the chain decay and the extreme range boost) but whatever. Not to mention his sudden ability to decay without all 5 fingers is pretty headscratching as well.

I'm still weary of eri but I'll hold judgment cuz remember I was bugging bout other time person and that turned out not to be much

Idk who you mean

Oct 25, 2017
The excuse for Shiggy is something we learn after the fact, in the same arc no less. It's better than how Toga's was handled, but still kinda ehh.... Frankly I'm not even sure how exactly one can suppress something like that (both the chain decay and the extreme range boost) but whatever. Not to mention his sudden ability to decay without all 5 fingers is pretty headscratching as well.

Idk who you mean
Toki

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

seriously
this:

I didn't much care for her contribution to that fight, no. And this panel looks cool but it's not very satisfying either when I think of how Monoma didn't really amount to much in the fight. (And this minor thing when seen outside the context of series-wide confusing action but also in terms of readability the move she pulls on him and how she transitioned into that was weird)

I did however like her "Who protects the heroes when they need protecting flashback". It's part of why I still have hope for her.
True but what people are asking for is for her to get what she got during the sports festival or what Toga got vs Curious, a chapter dedicated to her beating her opponent
This basically.
tenor.gif

But yeah I'm looking forward to this Monster Trio arc as well.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't much care for her contribution to that fight, no. And this panel looks cool but it's not very satisfying either when I think of how Monoma didn't really amount to much in the fight. (And this minor thing when seen outside the context of series-wide confusing action but also in terms of readability the move she pulls on him and how she transitioned into that was weird)
for that I will just quote myself
I get that people want things to bet the way they would like it to be but it doesn't make the fight and development disappear.
I also like that they make a character that wasn't central for the arc and even the battle be competent, many people were afraid that it was going to be the Shinso and Deku show
So you might not have enjoyed, but that fight was in no way negative for her character and for many was a cool a moment for her.

Also I dont get your readability comment, i think her move was normal, what is weird about it?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I did however like her "Who protects the heroes when they need protecting flashback". It's part of why I still have hope for her.

This basically.

tenor.gif

But yeah I'm looking forward to this Monster Trio arc as well.
Not particularly fond of most of those training matches. Bakugo surprised me tho that was fun

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
for that I will just quote myself

You might not have enjoyed, but that fight was in no way negative for her character and for many was a cool a moment for her.

Also I dont get your readability comment, i think her move was normal, what is weird about it?
I didn't present that fight as a negative. It just was not satisfying to me. I'm just indifferent to her part in it, as I said above.

As for the readability of it, it's just that the way she transitioned from prepping the attack to doing the attack looked weird to me in terms of posing/distance and whatnot. Nothing much to add other than what I said already, not that big of a deal anyway.

Not particularly fond of most of those training matches. Bakugo surprised me tho that was fun
Yeah the Bakugo part was my favorite of the arc.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Did you guys conspire to do all your posting when I was asleep?
Taking prior posting data as well as known wellsprings of salt controversial topics into account, I specifically entrusted Lotus with the job of posting that Ochaco article from within the shadows when I felt like you wouldn't be around. The thread beautifully took care of the rest...
--------------------------------------------------
On Viz's site they're promoting the latest batch of chapters with MHA headlining with "Deku starts his work study with Endeavor in MHA" and that feels like the kinda thing that would get me so curious and hype if I wasn't up to date.

It reminds me of how in May 2017, when I was only reading a few series in Viz Jump and was anime only on MHA, they had an issue with Overhaul looking really cool and menacing on the cover saying "In MHA, the assault on Overhaul's compound is underway! Superheroes vs. the yakuza!" and the words "yakuza" coupled with a villain with a cool name like Overhaul and a plague doctor mask got me so insanely hype I had to resist the urge of switching to the manga. Then I did that anyway two months later when the Stain fight started in the anime and in the back of my mind kept waiting for the Yakuza arc even as exciting stuff was happening before. And that arc didn't disappoint, ended up loving it and it's now my favorite arc (I remember being quite surprised when I first saw people online disliking it lol).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.