• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Mmm, that's fair. The power progression in particular is very different from what you usually see in cape comics, and I'd say is probably the most battle shonen thing about it, after shouting the names :P

Honestly, it is a small distinction. I just feel that for taxonomic reasons, it merits a different name, but I do get that a lot of people arne't going to feel it's a distinction worth making.
I do get where you're coming from too bro! MHA is a unique kind of beast that really does do different things for different people. It being a mix of things I adore is why I love the series so much.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
It wouldnt become a derogatory phrase if it had a more accurate name. Why english speakers uses this term still baffles me.
I feel like most people that uses the term doesnt even know that shonen is a magazine demographic
Nothing inaccurate about the term. If you see people call PreCure or Cowboy Bebop a battle shonen, sure call it inaccurate.
But what context are you seeing here that has you so hung up on our accuracy of the usage of the term? You keep bringing up how shonen is a demographic as if we don't know that. Is this not a series from a shonen magazine called "Weekly Shonen Jump"? It's the "battle" aspect that has been disputed today.

And hell even the demographic thing is played out at this point. I'm pretty sure most of Shonen Jump's audience isn't "young boys", at best they probably represent a plurality relative to other groups. If anime characters are any indication, even in Japan they seem to not mind using terms like shonen and shoujo as though they bring about certain expectations beyond just "this targets young boys/girls". And even if things were different in Japan, that doesn't mean the word can't mean different things elsewhere. Loanwords are a thing for a reason. Just as the rest of the world uses "anime" differently from Japan, we can use Shonen differently too. Once people ascribe a certain set of traits to a word/expression and are able to recognize them in other's usage of a word/expression, that becomes what that word/expression means, whether one likes it or not or whether it betrays the most literal interpretation of that.

Oh and it's not just English speakers. Not that that changes much.

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't understand why this conversation lasted so long.

Ima be honest it feels like putting the series on a prestigious high horse above other shonen. It's a battle shonen, battles move the plot like other shonen, these characters grow in and out of battles, they train to be stronger for further battles. It's nothing wrong with it being a battle shonen

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
We've spent the last two pages arguing over a manga where the characters battle numerous of times and that's target audience is the Shonen demographic, I don't see the point in continuing to argue semantics

I call any manga that resolves the majority of it's conflicts through battles a Battle manga, I call any manga that's aimed towards young boys a Shonen, this manga is both and it's pretentious to argue otherwise

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing inaccurate about the term. If you see people call PreCure or Cowboy Bebop a battle shonen, sure call it inaccurate.
But what context are you seeing here that has you so hung up on our accuracy of the usage of the term? You keep bringing up how shonen is a demographic as if we don't know that. Is this not a series from a shonen magazine called "Weekly Shonen Jump"? It's the "battle" aspect that has been disputed today.

And hell even the demographic thing is played out at this point. I'm pretty sure most of Shonen Jump's audience isn't "young boys", at best they probably represent a plurality relative to other groups. If anime characters are any indication, even in Japan they seem to not mind using terms like shonen and shoujo as though they bring about certain expectations beyond just "this targets young boys/girls". And even if things were different in Japan, that doesn't mean the word can't mean different things elsewhere. Loanwords are a thing for a reason. Just as the rest of the world uses "anime" differently from Japan, we can use Shonen differently too. Once people ascribe a certain set of traits to a word/expression and are able to recognize them in other's usage of a word/expression, that becomes what that word/expression means, whether one likes it or not or whether it betrays the most literal interpretation of that.

Oh and it's not just English speakers. Not that that changes much.
I still dislike the term, people use it wrong to say if something is a shonen or not. Like Pokemon is a kodomo anime but has a lot of similarities with battle shounens so I see a lot of people saying it is a battle shounen. Or people calling action seinen mangas battle shonen because of the similarities. I wish people just called those action manga/anime and it would make much more clear of what they are trying to say.
Like what even Battle anything means? Manga/anime is the only type of media that I see this word being used to describe a genre when action would fit as well if not better
Just like how people use the term anime here in the west too, it is often using in gaming cycles as a derogatory term for any game from japan that they dont like the animation style.
Damn I thought Monji-san was with MHA from the start. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention in the volumes.

Would be funny if as soon as he left, Hori was like "okay MVA + Kid Shiggy let's go!!"
No only that, but that might explain why endeavor fight was so graphic
Also after volume 18 is the cultural festival, I think Horikoshi always wanted to do a bigger slice of life arc so when he changed editors that was the first thing he did

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Damn. I wonder what the unedited version of the previous arc would've been like.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Damn. I wonder what the unedited version of the previous arc would've been like.
giphy.gif

My mind immediately went to Mortal Kombat

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I think the previous arc was after the change? Because I am sure that editor wouldnt let Shigaraki's flashback be like that
Hmm? Did you mean before? It sounds like that's what you're saying. I'd be kind of relieved if I found out it doesn't get any worse than that, lol.

Oh snap! I love it! That sounds really good. Getting excited!

You got that OT ready Tace ? Oh, and bro, did you read House of X yet?? Picking up Spider-Man?

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Hmm? Did you mean before? It sounds like that's what you're saying. I'd be kind of relieved if I found out it doesn't get any worse than that, lol.

Oh snap! I love it! That sounds really good. Getting excited!

You got that OT ready Tace ? Oh, and bro, did you read House of X yet?? Picking up Spider-Man?
I haven't read X-mne in a while, if possible, can you give me a TLDR of what's going on?

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The babysitting arc is like the thing I am looking foward the least in s4, it is just there

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The babysitting arc is like the thing I am looking foward the least in s4, it is just there
It's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most to be honest. I am a sucker for some comedy relief and yhe way Camie behaves in those chapters is amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing how they portray her in the anime.

If that is apart of this season then i am even more excited lol

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
You think Horikoshi would be that gory?
Lol oh yeah
Patience, grasshopper. It's coming along nicely, should be up first week in October, though I'm shooting for October 1st. I asked a while back if people wanted anything specific and no one responded so no complaints on what I name the OT lol

giphy.gif

Oh, and I'll probably send you a sneak preview to check for any mistakes. First OT and all 😬

Dawg! House of X #5
Resurrections galore! Goldballs! All the villains at Krakoa?!?!?!? It was a great issue

J.J. and Henry Abrams Spider-Man...
Eh, I actually didn't like this issue. Killing MJ, while I get why they did it, didn't really sit well with me. Peter being that estranged from his son also didn't feel in character. Peter's son does nothing for me. It feels like a weaker, bloodier version of Mayday's origin from MC2. I was disappointed, to say the least.
New movie image

MOD EDIT: Removed prohibited content.
Hhhhnng

*Hype intensifies*

Status
Not open for further replies.