• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no, gotta disagree. Shigaraki being set up so hard as the parallel to Deku means that there's not really a good way forward. I'd sooner bet on a Boruto type deal after it's done than a direct continuation.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
You just can't top the successor of All for One, the last greatest big bad. Shigaraki will be even more powerful than him in the end. It would just feel like jumping the shark. Any ideas for any other baddies Horikoshi might have can be taken down before the final fight with the PLF or join them. It's not like he's in a rush to get to this final confrontation to get to Deku vs Shigaraki so any ideas he has can just be done beforehand.

And honestly I like that I can say with 99% certainty who the final boss is here, and I bet it helps Hori to not to lose focus.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Is it strange for me to still not be very engaged by Shigaraki as a villain?

I don't know what it is, but he just doesn't feel like a villain with gravitas even after the recent arc and powerup. There's a disconnect...and I felt this a lot in the latest manga chapter.

Maybe I'm just weird lol

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018

I don't know what it is, but he just doesn't feel like a villain with gravitas even after the recent arc and powerup. There's a disconnect...and I felt this a lot in the latest manga chapter.

Maybe I'm just weird lol
I could see thinking this. He hasn't really fought any of the heroes in ages. I like him as a character after he dumped on Overhaul and went on to prove he genuinely cares for his members, but I'll admit the menace hasn't been there since his confrontation with Deku. He's powerful for sure, but the entirety of last arc i was rooting for him lmao.

The reunion with All Might next time is gonna be rough though.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I'm just weird lol

Not weird at all. He lost me after having changed his motivation to just wanting to destroy everything

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I'm just weird lol
It's not unusual, but honestly, I think that they're selling the hell out of it, so I can't say I agree :P

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

Maybe I'm just weird lol
He lacks bite, but I've actually been digging him a lot more post Overhaul

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Watch when Shigaraki is saved by the power of friendship since he promised to keep the things his friends like around.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
Bakugo got the large cameo in the OP because he about to be non-existent in this season barring another filler episode or the babysitting mini-arc. Thought the episode was acutally pretty good, will probably wait till it's finished to binge the whole season.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Also i saw people wondering why those rando pro heroes are in the OP when they do nothing in the series proper, pretty much points to some in canon filler with Dragon lady's team imo

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The reunion with All Might will indeed be rough.

Not weird at all. He lost me after having changed his motivation to just wanting to destroy everything

Yeah, his motivation just kind of bores me which is a part of it. He is entirely defined by his quirk.

The thing he did to Overhaul was pretty menacing though, I agree, and it did show his agency in acting on his own as a leader...for once.

I think the major reason is that I see Shigaraki as a puppet. Everything's been set up for him to play the part of "the final villain"...and it's always felt like he is marching to the beat of AfO's drum, it feels too easy. And so, I can't properly get invested in him as the big finale of this story.

In some ways, even Midoriya has this problem for me. They both feel like puppets fighting the last battle for those who came before. So I guess what I want to see is more individuality or something?

But maybe Hori can figure it out and I'll be wowed anyway lol I don't mean to sound too negative, just my musings on where the manga will end up.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Shigaraki has been set up as the main antagionst and honestly i kinda expect a twist regarding him and All for One's reunion, maybe Alll for One transfers his powers into Shigraki and dies.

Reading arcs and man Momo vs Kendo still makes me really salty

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Huh... for some reason I thought that Endeavor was already meeting Rei and was trying to make up for what he had done.

Great. Makes for a better emotional punch when he dies and never was able to see Rei again and let his true feelings out. It writes itself. Also Todo wanting revenge then after having witnessed Endeavor redeem himself for real.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It doesn't really matter what Shueisha wants, but what Horikoshi wants to do with his story and if the manga/anime/merch sales support his decision to keep making new arcs. Shigaraki can be the Aizen/Frieza of this series where we can have years of new stories and villains afterwards regardless of quality.
I meant that even they wouldn't require Horikoshi to stretch it out past what he wants. I'm fairly certain Horikoshi doesn't plan on going past the League of Villains. There's a reason Deku and Shigaraki are being developed in parallel to each other.
Lmao

Well, give it a look see when you can. Was curious if it pleased you
Just checked it out. Aside from a few spacing issues (which is totally a personal thing, haha), it looks fantastic! Really love the way you used banners for each section. A bit flattered too that you did something similar what I did for the characters!

Oh, I just thought of something. Wanna use this as the banner instead? It would be very fitting. Swiped it from the Shonen Jump site:

R0zsLSm.jpg

I really wish there was a full version of this. It looks amazing.
the 8 + chrono and mimic
Oh, are Chrono and Mimic not part of the eight? Huh. Guess I misunderstood it this whole time. Not that I paid too much attention on the details, I suppose.
Also i saw people wondering why those rando pro heroes are in the OP when they do nothing in the series proper, pretty much points to some in canon filler with Dragon lady's team imo
I don't know about all of them, but there are a few of those guys who do participate in the raid, so it's not unusual for them to show up in that shot of all the heroes involved. Not that I don't think there's going to be additional content for Ryukyu's team.
interesting tidbit about the databook I missed last week

Ohh!! I noticed something in one of the splash pages this week:

VHgTAxw.png

I don't know if it was a mistake but Uraraka's headgear is different now. I guess this might be that upgrade mentioned? Still could be a mistake and Horikoshi just forgot to draw the visor-like part though.

(side note: I took screenshots of the pages from the SJ app and spliced them together and I'm amused at the very high resolution I'm able to get thanks to my phone)

Speaking of this panel, there's a couple of things I'm pretty excited about and/or interested in:
  • Gang Orca's team probably being the most interesting for me since both Jiro and Shoji are there. Jiro learning a thing or two about sound-based attacks is pretty straightforward, but I wonder what Shoji could learn. Either ways, they're both badass and I'm excited to see how they grow as a result of their internship.
  • Sato and Ojiro have joined Shishida and Shoda to intern under heroes that I assume are melee-based. Ojiro's impressed me with his martial arts ability before but I'd love to see him improve even more. Sato's been pretty straightforward so it would be a great addition to his skillset if he learned some martial arts and advanced melee tactics.
  • The Lurkers also got four interns like the previous team. We already know Kaminari and Mineta are good friends and the latter works pretty well with Sero who is also good friends with Kaminari. The three of them will probably work well together very easily. Then there's Shiozaki. Interesting addition, no doubt a welcome choice for Kamui Woods.
  • Suneater by the corner because he now has to deal with two sunshine boys is adorable.
  • Koda and Manga have the privilege of working under He Who Shall Cleanse the World of Villainy.
It was so disappointing the way Momo was treated in that fight
Yeah... Still unhappy about it. They did her dirty. I try to look at it positively and say that it's room for growth but that doesn't diminish my disappointment much.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Gang Orca's team probably being the most interesting for me since both Jiro and Shoji are there. Jiro learning a thing or two about sound-based attacks is pretty straightforward, but I wonder what Shoji could learn. Either ways, they're both badass and I'm excited to see how they grow as a result of their internship.

Both Shoji and Gang Orca have to deal with the fact that their looks frighten people. Maybe Orca can help Shoji with that. Alternatively, Hori could have Shoji help Orca.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Both Shoji and Gang Orca have to deal with the fact that their looks frighten people. Maybe Orca can help Shoji with that. Alternatively, Hori could have Shoji help Orca.
Oh yeah, good point! If they explore the different internships, I'd love it if that topic was brought up. It would be interesting to hear Jiro's thoughts on the matter too.

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe I'm just weird lol
I'm into him more after this last arc. He has the power to actually do something now. His motivations and direction as a villain will only get stronger as he goes along.

I also just like how he is rather cool-headed and mindful despite his destructive nature. With the latest chapter, for example, he knows he shouldn't underestimate the heroes even though he just got a massive power boost.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Just checked it out. Aside from a few spacing issues (which is totally a personal thing, haha), it looks fantastic! Really love the way you used banners for each section. A bit flattered too that you did something similar what I did for the characters!

Oh, I just thought of something. Wanna use this as the banner instead? It would be very fitting. Swiped it from the Shonen Jump site:

R0zsLSm.jpg
Thanks! Yeah, that banner will work wonderfully

Edit: It's too big lol. Gonna see if I could mess around with it and get it to work

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
The discussion in the avatar thread in the OT thread reminded me of something that's been bugging me about mha; the level of physical affection is insanely low. I don't know if it's an anime thing or a japan thing, but often makes emotional moment feels weirdly sterile. Like Iida has punched Deku in the face but never given him a hug. Deku doesn't even give his mum hugs.
There hasn't even been a kiss in the entire series.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I wonder how the anime is gonna do Shiggy's tone change in his voice when the meta liberation arc is over.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The discussion in the avatar thread in the OT thread reminded me of something that's been bugging me about mha; the level of physical affection is insanely low. I don't know if it's an anime thing or a japan thing, but often makes emotional moment feels weirdly sterile. Like Iida has punched Deku in the face but never given him a hug. Deku doesn't even give his mum hugs.
There hasn't even been a kiss in the entire series.

Its still early days. Plenty of time for all that as we go forward.

It took literally years and a name change before the Naruto series even slightly acknowledged that people have sex lol (Asuma and Kurenai)

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Nah having children in shonen is like in Pokemon, the kid just shows up one day out of nowhere.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Nah having children in shonen is like in Pokemon, the kid just shows up one day out of nowhere.
Yeah I am honestly shocked that they were not one but TWO pregnant women shown in Naruto. Let alone a birth scene. I can't remember the last time I saw a Shonen that had that in it.

Even Bleach skipped ahead and had the kids poop into existence.

gunlovefiction

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
No, he will be like Gigantomachia at worst, like the movie's villain at best. It makes no sense to him to become a nomu when we already saw 2 individuals with multiple quirks that didnt become nomus
Bro i didn't say he would become a Nomu. I mean he will probably become a Human/Nomu hybrid even more humanoid than High-End. Don't think he will be that bulky

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
There's the possibility that bones, in addition to buffing up the dragon squad's role, could re-arrange some sections of the arc as a whole. You'd want to keep some parts, like Mirio vs Overhaul, as one continuous chunk but others you cut between. Make it more like the Deika city battle.

Most importantly, if they want to buff up the dragon squad, they ought to focus on Uraraka. Her experience in the raid goes on to inform her part in joint training arc, so that's where more attention would produce the most results.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
There's the possibility that bones, in addition to buffing up the dragon squad's role, could re-arrange some sections of the arc as a whole. You'd want to keep some parts, like Mirio vs Overhaul, as one continuous chunk but others you cut between. Make it more like the Deika city battle.

Most importantly, if they want to buff up the dragon squad, they ought to focus on Uraraka. Her experience in the raid goes on to inform her part in joint training arc, so that's where more attention would produce the most results.
eh... ochako is fine
Nejire is the one that needs focus there, she doesnt even appear in the climax of the arc like Tsuyu, Ochako and Ryukyu

Status
Not open for further replies.