• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Tace I don't have a GIF but I do have this sweet Murata art to share that I'm sure you'll love. ♥️

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Okay so I binged all 58 chapters of Vigilante and I actually really enjoyed it. I really like most of the characters too. I like the contrast between Koichi and Midoriya as characters and their radically different paths to being heroes as well as the contrast in who surrounds them.

Do we know exactly how long before the main timeline the Vigilante series is? Because obviously set a decent amount of time in the past.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I binged all 58 chapters of Vigilante and I actually really enjoyed it. I really like most of the characters too. I like the contrast between Koichi and Midoriya as characters and their radically different paths to being heroes as well as the contrast in who surrounds them.

Do we know exactly how long before the main timeline the Vigilante series is? Because obviously set a decent amount of time in the past.
I don't think we have a firm timeline, but it'd have to be at least a few years - Eraserhead has been a teacher for a good while by the time the series starts, and he's just taking the first steps on that now.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think we have a firm timeline, but it'd have to be at least a few years - Eraserhead has been a teacher for a good while by the time the series starts, and he's just taking the first steps on that now.
Fat Gum doesnt seem much younger than he currently does as well, so probably not THAT far off from the timeline.
So 3-5 years maybe? Does that sound like a safe assumption?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I'm happy that you enjoyed it. I found Vigilantes really fun when I started it and ended up catching up quick too.

Timeline-wise, I'd guess just a few years.

For Chase, I must ask what, if any, are your thoughts on Captain Celebrity?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'm happy that you enjoyed it. I found Vigilantes really fun when I started it and ended up catching up quick too.

I thought he was just a gag character at first meant to make fun of celebrity culture in the US, but once he kept popping up i realized he was gonna be a real character and not just a gag. So I tried to decide if I liked him or not, but the moment he tried whisking Makoto away to dinner i was like "yeah this is shit", but man oh man that plot twist lol

After that I actually enjoyed him. The running joke of Makoto keeping him in line and his ultimate turn around in the eyes of public was great. I also like how they did the rescue scene with the taxi. They did a good job of showing that CC wasn't just some meathead diva. He is a hero and he willing to lay his life down to save others if that's what it takes.

The main thing I don't get is his strength though? Because his quirk is described as being "flight", but the dude is a damn near All Might level powerhouse. So does that mean he has two quirks?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was just a gag character at first meant to make fun of celebrity culture in the US, but once he kept popping up i realized he was gonna be a real character and not just a gag. So I tried to decide if I liked him or not, but the moment he tried whisking Makoto away to dinner i was like "yeah this is shit", but man oh man that plot twist lol

After that I actually enjoyed him. The running joke of Makoto keeping him in line and his ultimate turn around in the eyes of public was great. I also like how they did the rescue scene with the taxi. They did a good job of showing that CC wasn't just some meathead diva. He is a hero and he willing to lay his life down to save others if that's what it takes.

The main thing I don't get is his strength though? Because his quirk is described as being "flight", but the dude is a damn near All Might level powerhouse. So does that mean he has two quirks?

Haha I had basically the same reaction to that moment. Makoto is always 10 steps ahead of him.
I liked his story quite a lot and though I already liked him before his recent arc, that arc was great for him and made me like him even more.

His quirk I don't get much either. He has a barrier thing he controls that protects him or he can use to protect himself. In terms of strength, I'm guessing he can kinda coat his arms in the barrier thing to be stronger (kinda like Armament Haki in One Piece or Gyo in Hunter x Hunter). And then somehow he can levitate with it too. It's not too clear. Maybe he does have a mix of multiple quirks as well.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Haha I had basically the same reaction to that moment. Makoto is always 10 steps ahead of him.
I liked his story quite a lot and though I already liked him before his recent arc, that arc was great for him and made me like him even more.

His quirk I don't get much either. He has a barrier thing he controls that protects him or he can use to protect himself. In terms of strength, I'm guessing he can kinda coat his arms in the barrier thing to be stronger (kinda like Armament Haki in One Piece or Gyo in Hunter x Hunter). And then somehow he can levitate with it too. It's not too clear. Maybe he does have a mix of multiple quirks as well.
Yeah idk. Though we might be overthinking it. It's clear he is meant to be the stereotypical Superman type hero in terms of powers. I just found it odd they decided to go into detail to try and explain his Quirk. Because all it did was raise more questions than answers.

Okay so he has a barrier? Cool. Got it. But he can fly? Um.....okay? Wait AND he can lift small moons? Wtf?

My exact thought process lol

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just now noticed this thread is now called My Villain Academia. No idea how my brain just kept glossing over that

Yeah idk. Though we might be overthinking it. It's clear he is meant to be the stereotypical Superman type hero in terms of powers. I just found it odd they decided to go into detail to try and explain his Quirk. Because all it did was raise more questions than answers.

Okay so he has a barrier? Cool. Got it. But he can fly? Um.....okay? Wait AND he can lift small moons? Wtf?

My exact thought process lol
Yeah we're overthinking it. As you say, his deal is just being Superman lol.
Though the pseudo-scientific nature of Quirks kinda invites "overthinking it", the main series itself shows that we shouldn't bother lol

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I just now noticed this thread is now called My Villain Academia. No idea how my brain just kept glossing over that

Don't feel bad I didn't notice until you mentioned it lol

Yeah we're overthinking it. As you say, his deal is just being Superman lol.
Though the pseudo-scientific nature of Quirks kinda invites "overthinking it", the main series itself shows that we shouldn't bother lol

Agreed. The moment that Bakugo was literally knee'd so hard in the face that he was launched into the 5th floor of building and yet didn't seem to have been harmed at all I knew the whole "quirks" thing was really just an explanation of their special power and not their overall abilities. Because Bakugo by all logic should have been dead. His quirk offers him no defensive resistance, but he ate that knee like it was nothing. Meanwhile another character like Uraraka can take multiple blasts fr Bakugo amd keep trucking. Then in the same Arc Aoyama is knocked out cold by Mina in one hit who has no strength quirk. The abilities and endurance of characters seems to fluctuate based on who is being presented and what the situation requires.

And there are several other examples. The prime candidate to me being Aizowa. His quirk is in his eyes and yet he can manipulate his capture weapon like he has telekinesis.

It drives me nuts lol

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. The moment that Bakugo was literally knee'd so hard in the face that he was launched into the 5th floor of building and yet didn't seem to have been harmed at all I knew the whole "quirks" thing was really just an explanation of their special power and not their overall abilities. Because Bakugo by all logic should have been dead. His quirk offers him no defensive resistance, but he ate that knee like it was nothing. Meanwhile another character like Uraraka can take multiple blasts fr Bakugo amd keep trucking. Then in the same Arc Aoyama is knocked out cold by Mina in one hit who has no strength quirk. The abilities and endurance of characters seems to fluctuate based on who is being presented and what the situation requires.

And there are several other examples. The prime candidate to me being Aizowa. His quirk is in his eyes and yet he can manipulate his capture weapon like he has telekinesis.

It drives me nuts lol
For me what always comes to mind is how One for All in one person can know about the One for All in someone else. Like, if All Might just happens to lose a hair, or anything else with his DNA, nothing happens. But if that hair is ingested by someone else, then there's some wi-fi communication/resonance thing that lets the OFA in All Might know so that it can start peacing out lol.

Though recently I thought of an explanation that kinda satisfies me which is just that, since All Might needs to willingly transfer the power, once he pulls a hair with the express intention of transferring, the OFA in him starts dying out regardless of whether or not the hair has been ingested yet. I don't think that's how Horikoshi sees it but at least this way I can sleep peacefully at night.

Of course there's also Nighteye's quirk that literally see someone's future with 100% accuracy except when it can't. But I think someone here had come up with a somewhat solid explanation of that once too.

Btw
His quirk is in his eyes and yet he can manipulate his capture weapon like he has telekinesis.
I remember this coming up here once and it seems that was just an anime adaptation error. I'm too lazy to go look but basically in the manga panel where this happens, Aizawa's hand is kinda blocked out by a speech bubble and so in the anime they made it look like he had telekinesis when he really was just using his hand.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
For me what always comes to mind is how One for All in one person can know about the One for All in someone else. Like, if All Might just happens to lose a hair, or anything else with his DNA, nothing happens. But if that hair is ingested by someone else, then there's some wi-fi communication/resonance thing that lets the OFA in All Might know so that it can start peacing out lol.

Though recently I thought of an explanation that kinda satisfies me which is just that, since All Might needs to willingly transfer the power, once he pulls a hair with the express intention of transferring, the OFA in him starts dying out regardless of whether or not the hair has been ingested yet. I don't think that's how Horikoshi sees it but at least this way I can sleep peacefully at night.

Of course there's also Nighteye's quirk that literally see someone's future with 100% accuracy except when it can't. But I think someone here had come up with a somewhat solid explanation of that once too.

Yeah overthinking something relatively simple is annoying sometimes, but it's like half the fun of being an anime fan in my opinion. Breaking down moves, power levels, characters, etc etc is all part of enjoying a good series.

Btw

I remember this coming up here once and it seems that was just an anime adaptation error. I'm too lazy to go look but basically in the manga panel where this happens, Aizawa's hand is kinda blocked out by a speech bubble and so in the anime they made it look like he had telekinesis when he really was just using his hand.

Oh I didn't know that.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
...D-did he not?
IW6J.gif

Last edited:

Chase

Oct 25, 2017

Nice to see the important questions getting asked.

One of the elements that make CC so compelling is his clearly defined, definitely not multiple powers (lol), quirk.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So I was reading my copy of Vigilantes volume 1 and there's this cool page at the end where Furuhashi describes what it's like to be the writer of a manga that you don't draw and is based off someone else's world. I always wondered how the dynamic worked when the writer and the illustrator were two different people. I like how his rough drafts amount to school children drawings and how he has to write stuff like "make this super cool" since he can't draw lol

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
So I was reading my copy of Vigilantes volume 1 and there's this cool page at the end where Furuhashi describes what it's like to be the writer of a manga that you don't draw and is based off someone else's world. I always wondered how the dynamic worked when the writer and the illustrator were two different people. I like how his rough drafts amount to school children drawings and how he has to write stuff like "make this super cool" since he can't draw lol
Reminded me of this little bit from Hikaru.

NOPR0q8.png

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017

Awright, so, you guys are right later on that everybody in the setting is basically made of iron (because it's a cape comic and they gotta be if the stories are going to work), but CC's deal is a little more straightforward than that. He's basically got this power they tried out for Superman a couple decades back when they were on a "rational superheroes" kick. Essentially, his flight, barrier, and strength are all the same thing thing. He's got this telekinetic sorta field he can manipulate around himself to either pick himself up and move, or shield himself, or make himself stronger, or all at the same time.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Awright, so, you guys are right later on that everybody in the setting is basically made of iron (because it's a cape comic and they gotta be if the stories are going to work), but CC's deal is a little more straightforward than that. He's basically got this power they tried out for Superman a couple decades back when they were on a "rational superheroes" kick. Essentially, his flight, barrier, and strength are all the same thing thing. He's got this telekinetic sorta field he can manipulate around himself to either pick himself up and move, or shield himself, or make himself stronger, or all at the same time.
Oh gotcha. Telekinesis to basically pick himself up does make sense.
Didn't know Superman was like that at some point lol

'Favorite non-League villain? poll results
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
A-hah! I finally remembered to delete the poll and start a new one. This time, Gentle takes the lead with nearly half of the total votes. Pretty impressive given that Stain was quite popular back in the day, though definitely well earned. He was my vote for multiple reasons such as his vigilante-like objective (as opposed to plain villainy) and incredible skill with his quirk.

H2KJwfY.png

So to pit off the first poll against this one, sort of, the next one asks who your overall favorite villain is! The options are based off of the top results of said polls, as well as Shigaraki and Re-Destro since the two have been the focus these last few chapters. I'm pretty curious to see how many may now lean towards Shigaraki... Personally, I like him a lot more now but my biased ass still favors Dabi, lol. Who is not in the poll cause he lost which makes total sense... PLEASE GIVE US HIS BACKSTORY ALREADY. Just kidding, take your time Horikoshi. Don't force the reveal.
NEXYsmU.gif

We good, Silfer , haha. No worries. And I'm just glad to see you posting here again!

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Look out for the reveal of Dabi's backstory exclusively in the Smash!! spin-off

A-hah! I finally remembered to delete the poll and start a new one. This time, Gentle takes the lead with nearly half of the total votes. Pretty impressive given that Stain was quite popular back in the day, though definitely well earned. He was my vote for multiple reasons such as his vigilante-like objective (as opposed to plain villainy) and incredible skill with his quirk.

H2KJwfY.png

So to pit off the first poll against this one, sort of, the next one asks who your overall favorite villain is! The options are based off of the top results of said polls, as well as Shigaraki and Re-Destro since the two have been the focus these last few chapters. I'm pretty curious to see how many may now lean towards Shigaraki... Personally, I like him a lot more now but my biased ass still favors Dabi, lol. Who is not in the poll cause he lost which makes total sense... PLEASE GIVE US HIS BACKSTORY ALREADY. Just kidding, take your time Horikoshi. Don't force the reveal.

I was surprised to see Gentle with such a commanding lead too, given how popular Stain seemed. Happy he won though, and hopefully he wins this new one as well.

NEXYsmU.gif

We good, @Silfer , haha. No worries. And I'm just glad to see you posting here again!
Phew.
And thanks, it's good to be here.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
cause he's a cool character

And he stands out more because he was the first major antagonist that wasn't really a villain like we've known them. Plus his fight is still the best in the series.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
cause he's a cool character

And he stands out more because he was the first major antagonist that wasn't really a villain like we've known them. Plus his fight is still the best in the series.
Yeah I don't really agree with any of that. He is my least favorite "villain" in terms of villains who have gotten significant attention. I didn't like his personality. I didn't like the gimmick with Brava. And I didn't really like his backstory either considering how much of it didn't really make sense given the canon of the series. I also didn't find his quirk or his use of it particularly interesting either.

But like I said. To each their own. God knows I have preferences and opinions about MHA that would have people scratching their heads so i can't really talk.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Well both Stain and Overhaul lost in the last poll so there's no point in putting them in the new one

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well it's been a bit since I read it since I usually just skip that part of the festival arc, but isn't his whole backstory centered on how he tried saving someone without a license and ended up being screwed because of that?

Not exactly. He went to save that person and in the process he unintentionally obstructed the efforts of another hero who was gonna save that person, who person ended up being injured as a result.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Not exactly. He went to save that person and in the process he unintentionally obstructed the efforts of another hero who was gonna save that person, who person ended up being injured as a result.
Okay so it's kind of like that. But yeah after reading through Vigilantes it's hard for me to believe that a dudes entire life would go down the drain like it's shown in the flashback. We see the Vigilantes make numerous mistakes and break numerous laws, but nothing like that happens to them. And by seeing Ingenium offer a job to Koichi we even find out there at other ways to become a licensed hero. It just doesn't make sense to me that Gentle lost anyone and everything over the fact he saved someone, but got in the way of pro heroes. Hell Deku does similar to that in the very first episode. The pro heroes are forced to wait for a hero with the right quirk to show up, but Deku runs in which would have forced them to fight anyway if All Might hadn't been there.

But this is more of a nitpick than an actual complaint. His backstory is not really a major reason why I don't like the character. It's more of something to just throw on the pile. Because it's mainly his personality and the gimmick with Brava that I didn't like.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Okay so it's kind of like that. But yeah after reading through Vigilantes it's hard for me to believe that a dudes entire life would go down the drain like it's shown in the flashback. We see the Vigilantes make numerous mistakes and break numerous laws, but nothing like that happens to them. And by seeing Ingenium offer a job to Koichi we even find out there at other ways to become a licensed hero. It just doesn't make sense to me that Gentle lost anyone and everything over the fact he saved someone, but got in the way of pro heroes. Hell Deku does similar to that in the very first episode. The pro heroes are forced to wait for a hero with the right quirk to show up, but Deku runs in which would have forced them to fight anyway if All Might hadn't been there.

But this is more of a nitpick than an actual complaint. His backstory is not really a major reason why I don't like the character. It's more of something to just throw on the pile. Because it's mainly his personality and the gimmick with Brava that I didn't like.

what.
gimmick.

Are you talking about them being youtubers? her quirk? her crush on him?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
what.
gimmick.

Are you talking about them being youtubers? her quirk? her crush on him?
All of it. The videos, her quirk, the crush, and his reasoning for doing what he does. It all adds up to him just being an annoying character to me. That whole section of the Arc was a hard read for me.

But maybe the way it's presented in the anime will change my mind.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I think the difference is that Gentle is basically the worst-case scenario of what Koichi and Deku were doing. The Vigilantes make mistakes and break laws but they ultimately help keep the peace. Gentle's failed attempt to save that person lead to them being severely injured and needing 6 months to recover. In Deku's case, the end result was favorable so he only gets scolded.
And Gentle's life was already in a downward spiral with him failing to show his potential as a hero at a school that didn't even have a challenging hero program and the adults in his life thinking he was delusional so when on top of all that, he obstructs a hero and causes someone injury, it makes sense for his life to become terrible after that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I think the difference is that Gentle is basically the worst-case scenario of what Koichi and Deku were doing. The Vigilantes make mistakes and break laws but they ultimately help keep the peace. Gentle's failed attempt to save that person lead to them being severely injured and needing 6 months to recover. In Deku's case, the end result was favorable so he only gets scolded.
And Gentle's life was already in a downward spiral with him failing to show his potential as a hero at a school that didn't even have a challenging hero program and the adults in his life thinking he was delusional so when on top of all that, he obstructs a hero and causes someone injury, it makes sense for his life to become terrible after that.
I guess that's a better way to look at that part of his story. And it does make more sense when you put it that way. But like I said that is more of a nitpick than anything.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess that's a better way to look at that part of his story. And it does make more sense when you put it that way. But like I said that is more of a nitpick than anything.
Oh I get you don't worry lol. Just felt like clarifying.

Regardless, the true moment when each and everyone of us is meant to love Gentle is when he comes back into focus as part of the Suicide Squad alongside Stain and La Brava. With the squad of course being led by The Crawler himself, Koichi Haimawari cause that's obviously what Vigilantes is leading to.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Oh I get you don't worry lol. Just felt like clarifying.

Regardless, the true moment when each and everyone of us is meant to love Gentle is when he comes back into focus as part of the Suicide Squad alongside Stain and La Brava. With the squad of course being led by The Crawler himself, Koichi Haimawari cause that's obviously what Vigilantes is leading to.
Koichi would be eaten alive lol

Status
Not open for further replies.