• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
cf9.gif

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I'm really interested in seeing where Bakugo's character arc goes.

To date, he's never really suffered a serious defeat; he was kicking Izuku's ass when he lost that training exercise at the beginning, All Might knocked him out when they fought but c'mon, it was All Might, he didn't even get a chance to defend himself when the LoV captured him, he just got blindsided by Mr. Compress, and he only failed the License Exam because of his bad attitude..

I'm betting that Hori is building up to a big moment where Bakugo takes a serious L, one with major consequences, and that's what's really going to push him to grow as a person.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

To date, he's never really suffered a serious defeat; he was kicking Izuku's ass when he lost that training exercise at the beginning, All Might knocked him out when they fought but c'mon, it was All Might, he didn't even get a chance to defend himself when the LoV captured him, he just got blindsided by Mr. Compress, and he only failed the License Exam because of his bad attitude..

I'm betting that Hori is building up to a big moment where Bakugo takes a serious L, one with major consequences, and that's what's really going to push him to grow as a person.
To me Hori has been building up to a cathartic villain stomp (or just hard fought win) for Bakugo, who still hasn't had a serious and proper villain fight.
Perhaps it doesn't come across that way or matter to you but his defeat in his training match against Deku/Ochaco, his capture by the villains leading to All Might expending his power and his failure to get his license at the same time as everyone else were presented as more than big enough losses that I can't really agree with him not having suffered a "serious defeat".

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
You can never have too much BakuGOAT
No lies detected
Just don't confuse quality Bakugo content with Bakuwank guys.
He earned that 4-0 stomp against class B.

Yeah, I mentioned this a while back, but I really want a villain to just push Bakugo's shit in. Someone who really makes him change up his approach. Bonus points if the villain can also get him to face some truths about his behavior as well, though I suspect Endeavor might do that for Kacchan anyway.

He's had a number of personal defeats, but yes, his combat record remains so far undisputed. It's another reason I hope he and Todoroki can fight again in the future. Curious who would win if they both tried

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
One of bakugous greatest character moments, admitting that he felt like he was the reason for all mights end, is the result of him taking an L.

I'm interested in seeing how the thing with best Jeanist is related to Bakugou this arc. Maybe he learns from some villain that hawks "killed" him.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Bakugo is constantly punished by the story. Bad things keep happening to him. Maybe it's karma.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
You wanna elaborate?
I think the fight would have been much more compelling if Bakugo has started being a proper leader after some initial setback. A bit of introspection? As it is, Bakugo just says "we're doing it this way idiots", his team is skeptical then they just do it anyway and it works.

Jirou should have been more than just an extra too. She just came off her role in the culture festival arc and she had a few moments with Bakugo in that arc. It would be great to see her say "Bakugo stop shouting for a fucking second and actually respect my input in the situation".

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I think hori just doesn't want bakugou to have big fighting Ls since he's the rival character and as a compromise instead gives him character losses. It's a good alternative imo and likely has a lot to do with why he's so popular.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I think hori just doesn't want bakugou to have big fighting Ls since he's the rival character and as a compromise instead gives him character losses. It's a good alternative imo and likely has a lot to do with why he's so popular.
That is a very interesting way to look at it. I had never considered that.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Bakugo is constantly punished by the story. Bad things keep happening to him. Maybe it's karma.
This is me being harsh but to me, it feels mild compared to others aside from his guilt of All Might
I'm probably being biased cuz he is one of my least favorite characters admittedly

And everyone, can we agree this line is still bad? Not as bad as 'He was the coolest guy' but still

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I think the fight would have been much more compelling if Bakugo has started being a proper leader after some initial setback. A bit of introspection? As it is, Bakugo just says "we're doing it this way idiots", his team is skeptical then they just do it anyway and it works.

Jirou should have been more than just an extra too. She just came off her role in the culture festival arc and she had a few moments with Bakugo in that arc. It would be great to see her say "Bakugo stop shouting for a fucking second and actually respect my input in the situation".
I don't think the purpose of the fight was to call Bakugo's combat ability into question or his leadership skills. It was probably the opposite actually, to just show how good Bakugo is. That's why I don't think Jirou or the others questioned it either, because they knew Bakugo would lead them to victory if they work together. Combat wise he is a prodigy.

The hang ups about Jirou and the others doing more is true, they could've, but it really was meant to be a Bakugo showcase I feel. Plus with Hori's track record with the girls, I'm not sure he would've done much with her anyway :/

The Bakugo shouting thing, idk what to tell you. I'm sure he'll learn to listen more, but dude is probably going to be a shouter his entire life. Just part of his character, I think if Hori was gonna change that he would've done it after Deku vs Bakugo 2

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugou's 4-0 is kind of an interesting example of what Hori is doing with him as a character in relation to the rest of the students (aside from Deku). He's still an abrasive ass, but he's got the skills and the talent to back it up, and the other students recognize that. He'll never be their favorite person, but he's somebody they can rely on when things get hairy.

I'm also very fond of the fight 'cause it feels more real in terms of what a winning strategy looks like. No complex plans with multiple moving parts - in fact, Bakugou's whole approach there is meant to break that kind of plan, and it does it successfully. He assesses the team's strengths (offensive mobility and damage) and a course to maximize those advantages (keep pushing through so they don't have time to recover from the initial impact) and... it works.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I don't think the purpose of the fight was to call Bakugo's combat ability into question or his leadership skills. It was probably the opposite actually, to just show how good Bakugo is. That's why I don't think Jirou or the others questioned it either, because they knew Bakugo would lead them to victory if they work together. Combat wise he is a prodigy.

Well there you go. I'm not really interested in fights that exist to just show how good Bakugo is.
What's even more annoying is that his leadership lead his team directly into a trap, only for them to all get out unscathed because Kachan is so awesome!
It's funny that people back then laughed at poor Setsuna. Her only crime was that she was put up against Bakugo. Kendo planned just the same and she won 4-0.

Allow me to put forward this hypothetical: in the first ambush, Sero and satou are captured. Bakugo and Jirou then have to pull it together to comeback and clutch the win. That would be far, far more interesting and still demonstrate Bakugo's skills and growth.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Well there you go. I'm not really interested in fights that exist to just show how good Bakugo is.
What's even more annoying is that his leadership lead his team directly into a trap, only for them to all get out unscathed because Kachan is so awesome!
It's funny that people back then laughed at poor Setsuna. Her only crime was that she was put up against Bakugo. Kendo planned just the same and she won 4-0.

Allow me to put forward this hypothetical: in the first ambush, Sero and satou are captured. Bakugo and Jirou then have to pull it together to comeback and clutch the win. That would be far, far more interesting and still demonstrate Bakugo's skills and growth.
I suspect Hori just wanted Bakugo to straight stomp, any setback would've gotten in the way. Bakugo bodying with a team eventually in perfect sync was plenty interesting to me. At the same time, there are certainly things I wish Hori had done differently, so I know that feel. Just not in this instance

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019

Agreed

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People laughed at Setsuna because she got hyped up as a recommendation student only to lose in such an embarrassing fashion.

As many noted, it felt like she only got the recommended label to begin with to make Bakugo's victory look better.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Can 1-B even be redeemed at this point? That arc made them a complete joke imo

Monoma fucks them over every time. It's like having a Bakugo in your class who doesn't win. Just a constant stream of shit talk and L's.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
God damn lol so many people don't like the joint training arc. It's such an inoffensive arc to me. I actually enjoyed it. But then again I really really like vs/tournament kinds of arcs.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Just don't confuse quality Bakugo content with Bakuwank guys.
Yes, give more deku x bakugo type of content
To me Hori has been building up to a cathartic villain stomp (or just hard fought win) for Bakugo, who still hasn't had a serious and proper villain fight.
Perhaps it doesn't come across that way or matter to you but his defeat in his training match against Deku/Ochaco, his capture by the villains leading to All Might expending his power and his failure to get his license at the same time as everyone else were presented as more than big enough losses that I can't really agree with him not having suffered a "serious defeat".
Does Bakugo really need another stomp victory? I think a hard fought win is better, I would like to see how he reacts under the pressure of facing a villain that i theoritically stronger than him just like Deku did so many times

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Can 1-B even be redeemed at this point? That arc made them a complete joke imo

Monoma fucks them over every time. It's like having a Bakugo in your class who doesn't win. Just a constant stream of shit talk and L's.
Lol no, Kinoko, Kendo, Tetsutetsu, Kuroiro, Honekuni even Pony imo had good showings. Ibara and the beast guy were also good but they screwed up by not deciding who should be the lead

Reminder that kinoko's quirk is completely stupid and she could have killed Tokoyami with her special move

Monoma is a joke but that is basically part of the character now

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I think 1-B did well, even if the overall score is stacked against them. A lot of them showed great teamwork and skill. I don't think any less of them after the arc. I'm looking forward to seeing them more in the future.

That said, I wasn't that impressed with Tetsutetsu (bringing him up since I saw a few praising him) given that pretty much all he did was just stall Todoroki. Yes, impressive and incredible defensive power that can withstand intense heat despite being steel, but... compared to everyone else in that match? Kinda got overshadowed for me. Especially given Honenuki's and Iida's performances.
And everyone, can we agree this line is still bad? Not as bad as 'He was the coolest guy' but still
Everyone acknowledges how bad that line is. Unfortunately, most people are not aware that Horikoshi already commented on that a long time ago admitting that he went too far with that line.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Lol no, Kinoko, Kendo, Tetsutetsu, Kuroiro, Honekuni even Pony imo had good showings. Ibara and the beast guy were also good but they screwed up by not deciding who should be the lead

Reminder that kinoko's quirk is completely stupid and she could have killed Tokoyami with her special move
They've lost to 1-A every time. They've had some individual wins but as a class they've come up short. It's hard not to see the larger class as unimportant. You have TetsuTetsu and Kendo sure, but at the end of the day they seem to exist only to prop up the real main characters.

Might sound overly harsh, but after last arc I can definitely say I'm not invested in them as a whole.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I think 1-B did well, even if the overall score is stacked against them. A lot of them showed great teamwork and skill. I don't think any less of them after the arc. I'm looking forward to seeing them more in the future.

That said, I wasn't that impressed with Tetsutetsu (bringing him up since I saw a few praising him) given that pretty much all he did was just stall Todoroki. Yes, impressive and incredible defensive power that can withstand intense heat despite being steel, but... compared to everyone else in that match? Kinda got overshadowed for me. Especially given Honenuki's and Iida's performances.

Everyone acknowledges how bad that line is. Unfortunately, most people are not aware that Horikoshi already commented on that a long time ago admitting that he went too far with that line.
Oh I meant the 'good childhood friend' line, not the kill yourself

I also think 1-B did well. Tetsutetsu holding his own against Class 1A's strongest is respectable

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Cool cool. Red Riot Unbreakable hype!

Blackleg-sanji1 Sounds like your boy is gonna steal the scene.
Oh I meant the 'good childhood friend' line, not the kill yourself

I also think 1-B did well. Tetsutetsu holding his own against Class 1A's strongest is respectable
Oh. In that case then I disagree. It's not a bad line. I don't interpret it as All Might saying Bakugo was a good childhood friend, it was All Might saying Bakugo was being a good friend. However since they're childhood friends it would make sense to refer to him as such.

Oct 25, 2017
Cool cool. Red Riot Unbreakable hype!

Blackleg-sanji1 Sounds like your boy is gonna steal the scene.

Oh. In that case then I disagree. It's not a bad line. I don't interpret it as All Might saying Bakugo was a good childhood friend, it was All Might saying Bakugo was being a good friend. However since they're childhood friends it would make sense to refer to him as such.

UNBREAKABLE
Let's go baby!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That arc is good, the only parts I didn't like for were the 4th match and Deku's reveal, and I don't think Deku's reveal was bad, I just can't like it without knowing the payoff

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I have a friend who just caught up and he likes it too. He suggested I try it again now that all the chapters are out. I quite like the Provisional License arc which I read in one go and remember seeing that that arc wasn't too popular so I'm interested in reading the Class B one again eventually.
I binged it my first time through and loved it. I wonder if reading it in one go vs chapter by chapter has any effect?

Because to me the arc is alot of fun despite it not have much overall story value. It's just your basic run of the mill vs/tournament arc, but I love those. And i enjoyed getting a peek at what everyone in Class-B can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.