• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"He's waiting on forgiving him"
*sigh*
Maybe because I have read the other translation but that wasnt Deku meant at all.
"You're probably getting ready to forgive him" implies that Shoto wants to reconcile but can't yet
I think in this case we need the official translation before sighing
The "forgiveness" stuff regarding Shoto.
How was that dumb? Explain?
I think what Deku said makes total sense with what he knows and saw about the situtation

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe because I have read the other translation but that wasnt Deku meant at all.
"You're probably getting ready to forgive him" implies that Shoto wants to reconcile but can't yet

How was that dumb? explain

I mean, first i don't think it's something he should be giving any commentary on. He barely knows him and their family dynamic. He's assuming stuff to kinda lead into a "forgiveness" situation when Endeavor hasn't really payed for all the shit he's done to the family. Yeah Enji has bleen gloomy, and sad, and better lately, but it's in no way enough for the narrative to go "You're on the way to forgiving your dad, because you're kind".

It's even worse if you consider the Dabi stuff that's probably coming.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, first i don't think it's something he should be giving any commentary on. He barely knows him and their family dynamic. He's assuming stuff to kinda lead into a "forgiveness" situation when Endeavor hasn't really payed for all the shit he's done to the family. Yeah Enji has bleen gloomy, and sad, and better lately, but it's in no way enough for the narrative to go "You're on the way to forgiving your dad, because you're kind".

It's even worse if you consider the Dabi stuff that's probably coming.
Ignoring the Dabi stuff because Deku has no way to know that, he doesnt even know about Toya.
Deku did a commentary because:
First: They are friends
Second: Deku has always been a person that tries to help people, even if helping isnt the better option at the moment, it is one of his core traits.

Also, like I said, the other translation Deku says that Shoto is on the way to getting ready to forgive him. Being ready to forgive is different of just forgiving, and that is why he is waiting for a moment, such moment, I assume, is when Endeavor proves that he is worth of the forgiveness that Shoto is ready to give.

Compare to Fuyumi, she admits in this chapter that she shares the same feelings as Natsuo but for she is past that the moment that she forgave her father. Natsuo however is very far from that moment and is very possible that he will never reach that.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like the forgiveness thing is going to be one of the most divisive moments so far in my hero. You will either like it or hate it with no in between

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring the Dabi stuff because Deku has no way to know that, he doesnt even know about Toya.
Deku did a commentary because:
First: They are friends
Second: Deku has always been a person that tries to help people, even if helping isnt the better option at the moment, it is one of his core traits.

Also, like I said, the other translation Deku says that Shoto is on the way to getting ready to forgive him. Being ready to forgive is different of just forgiving, and that is why he is waiting for a moment, such moment, I assume, is when Endeavor proves that he is worth of the forgiveness that Shoto is ready to give.

Compare to Fuyumi, she admits in this chapter that she shares the same feelings as Natsuo but for she is past that the moment that she forgave her father. Natsuo however is very far from that moment and is very possible that he will never reach that.

Yeah might be issues with translation, as you're saying.

My comment is based on my fears that Hori won't handle all this stuff correctly. After all, shonen tend to rush things like this to get to the "redemption" or "forgiveness" part, but in this case we have years of abuse that kinda destroyed a family, and i don't really want them to rush to the "happy ending" that he's probably teasing with endeavor's dreams (after he's gone or death, or whatever).

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You know what should happen? I think Bakugo needs to talk to Endeavor.
Yeah might be issues with translation, as you're saying.

My comment is based on my fears that Hori won't handle all this stuff correctly. After all, shonen tend to rush things like this to get to the "redemption" or "forgiveness" part, but in this case we have years of abuse that kinda destroyed a family, and i don't really want them to rush to the "happy ending" that he's probably teasing with endeavor's dreams (after he's gone or death, or whatever).
Relax, I am certain there will be no happy ending with Dabi around (assuming Dabi is Toya), either Dabi or Endeavor, or perhaps both, will get a tragic ending imo. There is also Natsuo that still can't stand being in the same place as Endeavor.

Last edited:

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
*DEATH FLAG ALERT*

yeah....Endeavor is dying and that when in typical anime fashion Shoto will forgive him.

Dabi=Touya is reaching Obito=Tobi status.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Dabi means cremation so I'm guessing Touya faked his that way or maybe there is something more to Dabi's quirk since Horikoshi still hasn't even given a name for it

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dabi means cremation so I'm guessing Touya faked his that way or maybe there is something more to Dabi's quirk since Horikoshi still hasn't even given a name for it
My personal theory is that Dabi's quirk involves the patchwork pieces of flesh he has on him. The pieces are from Touya's corpse and Dabi's quirk is somehow apart of that.

But that would be SUPER dark. Maybe too dark.

Triggs

May 3, 2019
The "forgiveness" stuff regarding Shoto.
This was the main thing that bothered me. Deku tried to say it's okay to not forgive Endeavor, but saying that he thinks Shoto will forgive him because he's kind definitely makes it seem like Deku thinks forgiving him is the correct thing to do. I think Deku is out of place here, but I also think it's very in character for him so it makes sense.

Kreed

The Negro Historian
Oct 25, 2017
My Hero Academia 249:

Way too many Endeavor death flags this chapter, to the point where I wouldn't be surprised if nothing happens to Endeavor/these flags are there to throw readers off. I really liked Deku and Bakugou's interactions this chapter. Normally Bakugou and his constant yelling/inappropriateness can be hit and miss comedy wise, but it worked really well here in regards to the Todoroki family.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This was the main thing that bothered me. Deku tried to say it's okay to not forgive Endeavor, but saying that he thinks Shoto will forgive him because he's kind definitely makes it seem like Deku thinks forgiving him is the correct thing to do. I think Deku is out of place here, but I also think it's very in character for him so it makes sense.
I feel like Deku said that not because he thinks Endeavor deserves forgiveness, but because he feels it will be better for Todoroki to move on.
Normally Bakugou and his constant yelling/inappropriateness can be hit and miss comedy wise, but it worked really well here in regards to the Todoroki family.
TBH, as someone that criticized Bakugo some chapters ago, I agree. Bakugo was clearly uncomfortable so it makes a lot of sense that he isnt able to contain himself in such situation.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ironic that despite Bakugo being way too loud, I can't get mad at how he reacted to the family drama. Like damn, y'all got guests over that as far as you know don't know anything, that's just uncomfortable.

Also I swear to God, if this arc is just another Dabi tease...

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Also, glad to hear Fuyumi feels the same, would fell odd if she didn't
For me it seems that she is tired of everything and is trying to put an act so she can have a functional family again. She looks very cheerful when other people are around but in those panels some chapters ago she looked very sad.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
My personal theory is that Dabi's quirk involves the patchwork pieces of flesh he has on him. The pieces are from Touya's corpse and Dabi's quirk is somehow apart of that.

But that would be SUPER dark. Maybe too dark.
It's a nice theory but I prefer Endeavor being the cause of Dabi, with what's been set up it'll hit harder if Dabi was Touya

My theory on Dabi's quirk is that like a phoenix he comes back to life from his ashes, it goes well with the cremation name and it would be pretty Dark if Endeavor's abusive household actually made Touya suicidal but he couldn't die

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rei's note to Todoroki seems to imply she has no intention of living with Endeavor. Good.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

m3UZxuW.png

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Would've loved to see the entire letter, but what we got was good. Shoto's mom has to be one of the most tragic figures in the series.

Endeavor has to die or be disgraced imo. It's the only way I'll accept his redemption

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Would've loved to see the entire letter, but what we got was good. Shoto's mom has to be one of the most tragic figures in the series.

Endeavor has to die or be disgraced imo. It's the only way I'll accept his redemption
In my eyes Endeavor can not be redeemed until he himself confesses all the terrible shit he's done to the public, if he really feels guilty about everything then he shouldn't be holding the position that he destroyed his family for

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I feel like the forgiveness thing is going to be one of the most divisive moments so far in my hero. You will either like it or hate it with no in between
Right now on the hate side of the fence and I ain't going over to like unless its forgivrness after public admittance. Forgiving him after he upholds the law and confrsses his crime would feel a lot better, forgiving him and keeping it in the family is groan worthy. Of course its a double edge sword cause if the #1 Hero comes out and admits to his deeds, the world would go into chaos and the villains win.
*DEATH FLAG ALERT*

yeah....Endeavor is dying and that when in typical anime fashion Shoto will forgive him.

Dabi=Touya is reaching Obito=Tobi status.
You even have us crazies claiming it's really Geten, like how people were convinced its actually Madara.

Dabi means cremation so I'm guessing Touya faked his that way or maybe there is something more to Dabi's quirk since Horikoshi still hasn't even given a name for it.

I'm still convinced Dabi's flames are blue because its not his own quirk. Touya's quirk as an extremely volatile but perfect mutation of Endeavor and his wife's quirk is probably what was Endeavor wanted, but settled for Shoto after how crazy the quirk was. I'm starting to wonder if the quirk singularity was already achieved because of this. Touya has white hair, the most apparent mark of an ice quirk. However we know he was a flame user. My guess is that Touya was able to cool himself off enough or cool down the flames while being able to exponentially increase its power without any bodily harm or stress. This is why Dabi's flames are blue, because they become way too hot without the cooling aspect of his quirk, thus why he has burnt skin in a lot of places. Now I'm not gonna bring up Geten again, but there has to be somewhere the ice quirk went to or even Touya.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
In my eyes Endeavor can not be redeemed until he himself confesses all the terrible shit he's done to the public, if he really feels guilty about everything then he shouldn't be holding the position that he destroyed his family for

I'm gonna be honest, Fuck the public and their opinion. This is a family matter and its being handled in house. I'm more interested in the victims of his actual crimes getting closure with him than the public getting their piece of meat.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I'm gonna be honest, Fuck the public and their opinion. This is a family matter and its being handled in house. I'm more interested in the victims of his actual crimes getting closure with him than the public getting their piece of meat.
Him confessing isn't for the public, I think he confess as a gesture for his family and for the integrity of his character, him confessing wouldn't stop him from being a Hero, it'll just remove him from the very position he abused his family over, if Endeavor didn't want the number one position he could have easily rejected by confessing his wrong doings but him taking that position gives off the impression that he still values being number one over his family

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Him confessing isn't for the public, I think he confess as a gesture for his family and for the integrity of his character, him confessing wouldn't stop him from being a Hero, it'll just remove him from the very position he abused his family over, if Endeavor didn't want the number one position he could have easily rejected by confessing his wrong doings but him taking that position gives off the impression that he still values being number one over his family
But thats not all that would happen you realize that? They would hound the whole fucking family and none of them deserve the media digging into their fucking lives and trying to interview them when they are just trying to get by. You think they are gonna let Rei off if they learn she is the reason Shoto has his scar? That they will be as understanding as the rest of the family has been about that?

To me that is just some pretentious pound of flesh without thinking of the collateral damage such a decision would have for his family as a whole. If Endevour goes to the public about his abuse he makes it about himself which it isn't anymore, its about his kids and his wife and their healing while he is just trying to figure out how to forgive himself and gain some positive connection to his children.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Right now on the hate side of the fence and I ain't going over to like unless its forgivrness after public admittance. Forgiving him after he upholds the law and confrsses his crime would feel a lot better, forgiving him and keeping it in the family is groan worthy. Of course its a double edge sword cause if the #1 Hero comes out and admits to his deeds, the world would go into chaos and the villains win.

Which is exactly why I hope it doesn't become public knowledge.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Her'e a question for the the thread:
If Endeavor and the kids are confronted by the PLF this arc, what specific members would you want to see?

For me, the line up would be:
1. Dabi (for obvious reasons)
2. Hawks
3. Geten
4. Compress
5. Spinner

I would like to see Skeptic but I don't think he would go and fight directly. Shigaraki is busy elsewhere and ReDestro probably isn't going to the frontline either, especially after his injury.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
After giving it some careful consideration(I thought about it for like 2 seconds), I hereby declare MHA, Demon Slayer, and One Piece

The New Big Three
No duh I know One Piece was in the original Big Three, don't @ me bro
If Endeavor and the kids are confronted by the PLF this arc, what specific members would you want to see?

2. Hawks
3. Geten
4. Compress
5. Spinner
Swap out Compress and Spinner with Toga and Twice and this is my list. Though I'm not sure they'll have Hawks on the front line if they want him to keep his cover, so maybe switch him out with Gigantomachia.

Last edited:

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Very messy chapter, as expected.

I will definitely be on the "hate it" side if Shoto's forgiveness isn't handled to my liking. I really didn't like how Midoriya conveyed his advice (but I know he meant well, it wasn't his place to assume though). I'm almost hoping in the next chapter, Bakugo's loud mouth is useful for once and completely refutes it.

I do think Shoto is kind and has been thinking about this carefully. But, a lot more needs to be done BY ENJI before forgiveness is even in question. It's not a matter of when Shoto, or Fuyumi, or Natsuo are "ready to forgive". That puts the onus on them to just move things along conveniently and I hate that. No. Enji needs to step up, it's on him. And judging by his inner thoughts in this chapter, he at least knows this.

And to be honest, the only way I see Enji repenting is if he steps down as Number 1 Hero. He doesn't have to confess to the public and cause chaos, but I do think there should be consequences in some way. :/

I did love the letter from Rei (with no mention of Enji) and seeing Fuyumi admit it still bothers her too.

That Touya tease at the end....I wonder how that'll go.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017

Endeavor pulled off some atrocious acts with his emotional and physical abuse. Just because he feels guilty and remorse for his past actions doesn't mean his family should forgive him. It's possible Shoto and his siblings will never forgive Enji.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a matter of when Shoto, or Fuyumi, or Natsuo are "ready to forgive".
I completely disagree, it ultimately falls on them if they want to forgive or not and nothing that Endeavor can do to change that. Even if Endeavor steps down, confess his crimes, do a lot of good things etc, if one of them still aren't able to forgive him it is fine.
And that is ultimately what I believe what deku wants to say to shoto. If he is ready to forgive Endeavor it is fine and if he doesnt to forgive it is also fine because it is ultimately his choice.

Honestly, after this chapter, saying that Endeavor needs to do x or y to be redeemed seems to do a bit out of place for the Todoroki plotline. First because it assumes forgiveness means redemption, when it isnt necessarily the case; second because it puts all of the agency on Endeavor when it is something his family should decide and not him; third because what Endeavor ultimately wants is atonement and not exactly redemption imo.

Last edited:

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

2. Hawks
3. Geten
4. Compress
5. Spinner

I would like to see Skeptic but I don't think he would go and fight directly. Shigaraki is busy elsewhere and ReDestro probably isn't going to the frontline either, especially after his injury.
I want to see the other internships get involved, mainly Ryukyu team vs Toga

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I completely disagree, it ultimately falls on them if they want to forgive or not and nothing that Endeavor can do to change that. Even if Endeavor steps down, confess his crimes, do a lot of good things etc, if one of them still aren't able to forgive him it is fine.
And that is ultimately what I believe what deku wants to say to shoto. If he is ready to forgive Endeavor it is fine and if he doesnt to forgive it is also fine because it is ultimately his choice.

Honestly, after this chapter, saying that Endeavor needs to do x or y to be redeemed seems to do a bit out of place for the Todoroki plotline. First because it assumes forgiveness means redemption, when it isnt necessarily the case, second because it puts all of the agency on Endeavor when it is something his family should decide and not him.

"What can I do for my family at this stage?" What Enji thinks here was basically my point.

You seem to have misunderstood what I was trying to say by ignoring the rest of my post. Obviously, it's ultimately up to the family if they want to forgive him. But, that's the last step. Enji can definitely impact that decision along the way.

One of the first steps should be Enji making strides to communicate with his family, making strides to build inroads with them, making strides to get them to trust him again, finding his own answer which he's still figuring out. Enji has to prove himself TO THEM. And, during this process, the family can either start to consider how they want to approach their own version of forgiveness or walk away. EIther way is fine, of course. The family has complete agency in their own choice (which I didn't think I needed to state so plainly...).

Deku gave hasty advice and skipped to the last step when he said Shoto was "getting ready to forgive him" and " just waiting for the right time" because he is kind. That implies....there is no possibility where Shoto won't forgive him. He just has to wait for THE RIGHT TIME. Do you see the issue there? It's naive to assume that just because someone isn't saying "I'll never forgive you" at the moment, that they will never say that in the future.

(not trying to hate on Deku btw and maybe the official translations will be worded differently)

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
"What can I do for my family at this stage?" What Enji thinks here was basically my point.

You seem to have misunderstood what I was trying to say by ignoring the rest of my post. Obviously, it's ultimately up to the family if they want to forgive him. But, that's the last step. Enji can definitely impact that decision along the way.

One of the first steps should be Enji making strides to communicate with his family, making strides to build inroads with them, making strides to get them to trust him again, finding his own answer which he's still figuring out. Enji has to prove himself TO THEM. And, during this process, the family can either start to consider how they want to approach their own version of forgiveness or walk away. EIther way is fine, of course. The family has complete agency in their own choice (which I didn't think I needed to state so plainly...).

Deku gave hasty advice and skipped to the last step when he said Shoto was "getting ready to forgive him" and " just waiting for the right time" because he is kind. That implies....there is no possibility where Shoto won't forgive him. He just has to wait for THE RIGHT TIME. Do you see the issue there? It's naive to assume that just because someone isn't saying "I'll never forgive you" at the moment, that they will never say that in the future.

(not trying to hate on Deku btw and maybe the official translations will be worded differently)
I think you are jumping conclusions to say that advice imply what you just said.
Anyway I explained what I think Deku meant

Last edited:

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
The new Vigilante chapter was pretty fantastic, gave me a new appreciation for Aizawa
I think I look forward to Vigilantes more then the main manga at this point. Not that the main is bad but I enjoy the character interactions in Vig better. With Aizawa's declaration at the end tho it feels like it might be coming to a close which I'm okay with. The one thing I've always disliked is the mysterious organization pulling the strings in the background never getting any advancement or even getting hinted at. They fix that and the manga will be perfect in my eyes.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
looks like the whole Yazkua arc is going to fit into the first cour, even with the wasted first episode.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As expected. Lot of action with short chapters. They'll go through that quick in the anime.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
That Red Riot title got me excited for Kirishima's big moments in this arc.

Maybe he'll get a hype Red Riot theme during his fight!

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
New stills from Heroes Rising

That background art looks so nice, especially after some of the background art in the latest episode which was....not good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.