• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
But thats not all that would happen you realize that? They would hound the whole fucking family and none of them deserve the media digging into their fucking lives and trying to interview them when they are just trying to get by. You think they are gonna let Rei off if they learn she is the reason Shoto has his scar? That they will be as understanding as the rest of the family has been about that?

To me that is just some pretentious pound of flesh without thinking of the collateral damage such a decision would have for his family as a whole. If Endevour goes to the public about his abuse he makes it about himself which it isn't anymore, its about his kids and his wife and their healing while he is just trying to figure out how to forgive himself and gain some positive connection to his children.
These aren't real people. The author can literally have Endeavor confess and step down with no ill effect on his family. And more importantly that sends a message of contrition and sacrifice to *the reader*. Hero without the number one title is probably the best outcome for Endeavor, as it illustrates his changed focus.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
These aren't real people. The author can literally have Endeavor confess and step down with no ill effect on his family. And more importantly that sends a message of contrition and sacrifice to *the reader*. Hero without the number one title is probably the best outcome for Endeavor, as it illustrates his changed focus.
True, but I believe Horikoshi is trying to have a more realistic approach to this plotline.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
True, but I believe Horikoshi is trying to have a more realistic approach to this plotline.
The realistic approach, statistically, is the abuser who achieves all his objectives with no consequences continues to abuse. But that's neither here nor there, because again they're not real.

The statement was largely about that post directly, including the "media digging into their fucking lives" and "pretentious pound of flesh", which to be clear, sounds a whole lot like real arguments against certain real-world victims confronting their abusers.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
If it was realistic people would have been suspicious about Endeavour wife being in an asylum and Shoto having a scar around the same time and rumors would flow

Also the number two hero wife is in a asylum

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I guess future Japan journalist are super respectful of privacy

Even if isn't and it probably wasn't

That's not the kind of thing that goes unnoticed today especially with big celebrities whose lives are picked apart

I'm not complaining btw for the story it works for what Hori wants

Japans press is usually really gun shy about celebrities families so The Whole Endevour not being in the press is not something abnormal.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If it was realistic people would have been suspicious about Endeavour wife being in an asylum and Shoto having a scar around the same time and rumors would flow

Also the number two hero wife is in a asylum
I dont see how people would make the connection that Endeavor is an abuser from that, at maximum they would think Rei was the one responsible for what Shoto suffered and not Endeavor. Endeavor also doesnt appear much in the media so I wouldnt be surprised if they know little about the family, deku is a hero nerd and he didnt know that Shoto was Endeavor's son, that isnt unrealistic for japan. The family of famous people usually arent known iirc.
Anyway what I am talking about the realistic approach is how he is showing and developing the feelings of the characters.
The realistic approach, statistically, is the abuser who achieves all his objectives with no consequences continues to abuse. But that's neither here nor there, because again they're not real.
Just because the abuser wanting to atone isnt common doesnt mean you can't approach that in a realistic way
I guess future Japan journalist are super respectful of privacy

Even if isn't and it probably wasn't

That's not the kind of thing that goes unnoticed today especially with big celebrities whose lives are picked apart

I'm not complaining btw for the story it works for what Hori wants
That isnt future japan, that is what happens in Japan nowadays. You are thinking this with a US centric view.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2017
I'm guessing Touya died when his quirk activated and was later revived by All For One. I do not believe the stitches on Dabi are cosmetic. Rather, the stitches are the remants of the surgery when he was revived.

If his own quirk didn't kill him, then the doctor covered it up and kidnapped him for experimentation.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing Touya died when his quirk activated and was later revived by All For One. I do not believe the stitches on Dabi are cosmetic. Rather, the stitches are the remants of the surgery when he was revived.

If his own quirk didn't kill him, then the doctor covered it up and kidnapped him for experimentation.

Problem with that is that we have to believe that Dabi had contact with AFO/League before the Stain incident. Doesn't really make sense.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017

Problem with that is that we have to believe that Dabi had contact with AFO/League before the Stain incident. Doesn't really make sense.
Yeah going by Toya= Dabi more than likely he either was just assumed dead and was able to either find a back alley doctor or was in the emergency room and left before he could be identified

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It's interesting that some of the anime only peeps really want Deku to be a better successor than Mirio. Like, definitively better. I didn't expect Mirio to get the level of push back he did from them for being a possible candidate.

I wonder how his big moment will go over

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that some of the anime only peeps really want Deku to be a better successor than Mirio. Like, definitively better. I didn't expect Mirio to get the level of push back he did from them for being a possible candidate.

I dont understand,what do you mean by being better successor?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

i only see like 1 guy who said that

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I dont understand,what do you mean by being better successor?
When it was revealed Mirio was a potential candidate for OfA I noticed people got really defensive, when Mirio was universally liked before then. Like, they felt the need to drag Mirio in order to prop up Deku.

Felt unnecessary
i only see like 1 guy who said that
I'm not just talking about today, he probably only brought it up now because of the original debate that was being had about it in the anime thread a couple weeks ago

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When it was revealed Mirio was a potential candidate for OfA I noticed people got really defensive, when Mirio was universally liked before then. Like, they felt the need to drag Mirio in order to prop up Deku.

Felt unnecessary
It isnt any different from what some Mirio fans do with Deku, including in this thread.
Anyway imo Deku is ultimately the better successor for the way the story is developing.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Japans press is usually really gun shy about celebrities families so The Whole Endevour not being in the press is not something abnormal.

That and we've seen the Police/ Hero Association cover stuff up (they even manipulated the media coverage of the stain incident to make it look like Endeavor was the one that defeated Stain).

It's not a stretch to imagine they'd cover up Endeavors past as well, I mean hell they're currently covering up Best Jeanists current whereabouts.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah this episode plays a big part in why Mirio isn't as cool to me. Of course I understand why he says to let them go, but man I'm with Deku with how it doesn't feel right. And obviously it messes with Mirio too since it's a large part in why he's so hell bent on getting her back during the raid, but it really shows that none of them are anywhere near All Might yet.

Also the comments on taking eri then but overhaul going into hiding are intriguing. Eri is so essential to Overhaul's plans that it would incapacitate him for an awfully long time.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this episode plays a big part in why Mirio isn't as cool to me. Of course I understand why he says to let them go, but man I'm with Deku with how it doesn't feel right. And obviously it messes with Mirio too since it's a large part in why he's so hell bent on getting her back during the raid, but it really shows that none of them are anywhere near All Might yet.

Also the comments on taking eri then but overhaul going into hiding are intriguing. Eri is so essential to Overhaul's plans that it would incapacitate him for an awfully long time.
His plans would stop, but he could always put them on hold to come up with a strategy or get enough forces to get her back. I don't see how him going into hiding, even without Eri, isn't a bad thing.

Lotus pointed out the best in that thread. Both Mirio and Deku's initial reactions on what to do have both their pros and cons. I don't find one to be more heroic than the other.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If it was realistic people would have been suspicious about Endeavour wife being in an asylum an

Been in there for about a decade too...

Hehe

Of course it's not gonna feel "right", but Deku's option very likely gets someone horribly hurt or worse. It's classic naivety.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Been in there for about a decade too...
It totally ignores that her identity is probably not known by the general public.
Also, considering she is related to a hero, her location and situation is probably protected so she cant be easily attacked by villains.
If we are talking about realistic things, it makes no sense why the government would let the media investigate the life of a top hero and their relatives.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't wait to see Fat Gum and Kirishima in action

Also I still am not entirely sold about Dabi = Toya, though maybe that's just denial at this point

Oct 27, 2017
Caught up and that was a neat set of chapters to binge

Hawk's passing that message all sneaky like is dope but only four months? Man Idk what to expect here but colour me concerned bro

Also on edge every time Hawks is on screen yo like this triple agent shit makes me nervous.

Touya face reveal, potential Dabi reveal incoming???

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
In retrospect, it's nice to see that Nighteye's philosophy of heroism is upheld by Hawks.
Makes sense since they're both intelligent and have powerful intelligence-gathering quirks.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
The thing about the alleyway Deku vs Mirio that I couldn't say in the other thread is that the Story does pick a side, the other heroes during the meeting told them they should have taken action, when they got the full information of what was going on they immediately regretted their lack of action, and we pretty much see later on the arc that both Mirio and Deku could have taken on Overhaul without any problems

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about the alleyway Deku vs Mirio that I couldn't say in the other thread is that the Story does pick a side, the other heroes during the meeting told them they should have taken action, when they got the full information of what was going on they immediately regretted their lack of action, and we pretty much see later on the arc that both Mirio and Deku could have taken on Overhaul without any problems
Hindsight is 20/20, it's easy to tell someone "you should have done this" after the fact. Mirio regrets his actions, but taking on a guy who can obliterate anyone he touches in the middle of a city, with no backup, is a poor decision, even if you think you can take him. Some heroes had the confidence, quirk, and/or experience to pull it off successfully, but two trainee students could have screwed it up in that situation and made everything way worse.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
My whole issue with that is not whether Mirio or Deku was ultimately right, but that people want to use that one interaction as "proof" that one is better than the other. It's obvious with what we know Mirio is just as worthy as Deku.

It's all preference

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
we pretty much see later on the arc that both Mirio and Deku could have taken on Overhaul without any problems

Yea idk about all that lol

. It's obvious with what we know Mirio is just as worthy as Deku.

Yea I don't blame anime-only peeps for thinking this arc is doing the cliche thing where Deku has to (and succeeds) in proving he's better. As we know, Mirio is 100% deserving of being the successor, to the point where Deku still firmly believed that at the end of the arc. The imposter syndrome was that strong. Mirio in the end never got that big moral falling moment or what have you that would've made me think "Oh, guess I'm glad Deku has it instead after all."

Mirio's just that good. :3

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
anyway I thought this couple was filler
EI8NSLHU8AAjv-x

but rereading the chapter apparently they were there the whole time.
EI9ThFWXsAIAadX

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Stupid post-apocalyptic delivery game distracting me from discussing Todoroki family drama. 😔

Fantastic chapter, the little bits with Deku and Bakugo awkwardly eating while they're witnessing drama unfold. Freaking gold, man. Amazing. The Endeavor stuff though, holy shit that's heavy. Expected, of course, but still.

Glad to finally get confirmation of what (supposedly) happened to Toya. Look at them cute little Dabi eyes and that Dabi hair. Good stuff.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I'm liking the arc, but Deku needs more of a narrative hook, besides just being friends with Todoroki. Getting closer to Endeavor could be interesting, or developing his relationships with his schoolmates in new directions.
Todoroki has Dabi and Bakugo has some tasty drama being cooked up with Hawks and Best Jeanist. Deku's main villain, Shigaraki, is sitting this arc out so hori can't rely on that.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm liking the arc, but Deku needs more of a narrative hook, besides just being friends with Todoroki. Getting closer to Endeavor could be interesting, or developing his relationships with his schoolmates in new directions.
Todoroki has Dabi and Bakugo has some tasty drama being cooked up with Hawks and Best Jeanist. Deku's main villain, Shigaraki, is sitting this arc out so hori can't rely on that.
That's a good point. Even his friendship with Shoto doesn't interest me that much cause it's pretty typical of his friendships in general, with the sole exception being Bakugo for obvious reasons. I find Bakugo and Todoroki's friendship to be way more interesting because of their dynamic and contrasting personalities.

I suppose this is kinda true of Deku as a whole. I like the character a lot, and I love characters who are unapologetically passionate about the things they love and I love heroic characters like him who want to save people so damn much. Those are great qualities, in my opinion, but it's... I guess not that exciting? The qualities and traits some of the other characters have are more appealing for me. Like, when those apealing traits of his have their time to shine I always enjoy it a lot but if we're just looking at them as a whole I'll often find other characters more appealing.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The narrative hook is he working to unlock black whip and his friendship with Todoroki. Also, just with his statement in the last chapter, he added more to the narrative than Bakugo so far.
That's a good point. Even his friendship with Shoto doesn't interest me that much cause it's pretty typical of his friendships in general, with the sole exception being Bakugo for obvious reasons. I find Bakugo and Todoroki's friendship to be way more interesting because of their dynamic and contrasting personalities.
I completely disagree, Bakugo and Todoroki's "friendship", if you can even call that, is just a joke, what makes it is more interesting than Deku and Todoroki's? Deku and Todoroki's friendship is much better developed and deep and has much more impact on the narrative as we can see in this chapter.
I suppose this is kinda true of Deku as a whole. I like the character a lot, and I love characters who are unapologetically passionate about the things they love and I love heroic characters like him who want to save people so damn much. Those are great qualities, in my opinion, but it's... I guess not that exciting? The qualities and traits some of the other characters have are more appealing for me. Like, when those apealing traits of his have their time to shine I always enjoy it a lot but if we're just looking at them as a whole I'll often find other characters more appealing.
Just because Deku isnt a loud character or gag character doesnt mean he isnt interesting. Deku proved in the school festival and again in this chapter that he is someone that push Todoroki forward emotionally wise. Moments like deku hesitating but saying anyway what he thinks about the situation makes me appreciate him a lot and frankly I cant understand why some people think he isnt necessary, he is the what drives most characters in this manga and without him most of them wouldnt change.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I completely disagree, Bakugo and Todoroki's "friendship", if you can even call that, is just a joke, what makes it is more interesting than Deku and Todoroki's? Deku and Todoroki's friendship is much better developed and deep and has much more impact on the narrative as we can see in this chapter.
That's perfectly fine, I'd be surprised if only a few people agreed with you. Like I said in my post, I find Bakugo and Todoroki's friendship fun and more interesting because of their contrasting personalities. We have Bakugo who is abbrasive and ill-mannered yet is respectful enough towards Shoto (because he learned about his past) to hold back his taunts during the remedial lessons arc. Deku's friendship with Todoroki is simple, it's a great friendship where they both care for each other and have an impact in each other's lives. It's straightforward and good. I like it, but I don't find it that interesting. It's similar to Deku's friendship with most of his peers. It's common.
Just because Deku isnt a loud character or gag character doesnt mean he isnt interesting.
That's true. Nobody's arguing that.
I cant understand why some people think he isnt necessary
I would be baffled as well if anyone felt this way, though I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised given how everyone is different and may find all sorts of different things interesting and/or unappealing.

Tunichtgut

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Looking at the discussion Deku vs Mirio, i never thought one reacted better at the situation with Eri. For me, it's just two people who react differently to the situation. Deku reacted more out of his emotions, while Mirio was more calm, and had the whole picture in his head. There is not really a right or wrong here.

It's also very easy to say "they should have done this and that" when you have the whole picture, but for them in that moment, it was live or die, without really knowing what powers the enemy has, or how strong he is.

Oct 25, 2017
didnt realize we get chapters an hour earlier, always get thrown off.

Vigilantes This Week

Sad my favorite cloud boy is confirmed dead then, so totally didn't need to die. He was awesome and now I'm sad.

Also where is this cafe in the present. Like so much of this I want to see indications of what its like in the present :(

Yams

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked this week's chapter.

Deku and Bakugo's comments to Shoto really come down to whatever you feel you have to do just do it because it might help to move on

And Endeavor knows for his family to be
Happy he can't be there

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
That's perfectly fine, I'd be surprised if only a few people agreed with you. Like I said in my post, I find Bakugo and Todoroki's friendship fun and more interesting because of their contrasting personalities. We have Bakugo who is abbrasive and ill-mannered yet is respectful enough towards Shoto (because he learned about his past) to hold back his taunts during the remedial lessons arc. Deku's friendship with Todoroki is simple, it's a great friendship where they both care for each other and have an impact in each other's lives. It's straightforward and good. I like it, but I don't find it that interesting. It's similar to Deku's friendship with most of his peers. It's common.

That's true. Nobody's arguing that.

I would be baffled as well if anyone felt this way, though I suppose I wouldn't be too surprised given how everyone is different and may find all sorts of different things interesting and/or unappealing.
I agree. Todoroki and Bakugo is more interesting because of how fun it is

Oct 25, 2017
And Endeavor knows for his family to be
Happy he can't be there
dont understand howy you reached that conclusion when the whole plot is forgiveness and redemption and will most likely end up being a happy recovered family situation at the end of the day, Enji's already showed some change, so to say he cant be there seems to imply that he shouldn't have been making any effort at all. He's clearly motivated to change.. Enji's not going to give up on his dream of a a somewhat rebuilt family. Quite sure his dream/nightmare is anxiety driven and not a premonition.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, I dig their designs, especially the first one. Second one reminds me of Chico's concept art for The Phantom Pain.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Bakugo and Todoroki barely interact, whichis odd in hindsight because they've been together more than Deku and Todoroki. "Friendship" is saying a while lot over what's actually there.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugo and Todoroki barely interact, whichis odd in hindsight because they've been together more than Deku and Todoroki. "Friendship" is saying a while lot over what's actually there.
They had that whole provisional license classes thing together, but we only caught the very very tail end of that on panel. Wouldn't exactly be out of character for either of them to not have taken the opportunity to socialize much during that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.