• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Deku is one of the least intresting parts of MHA sadly in my opinion. He's not awful as a charcter but just bland
He is nowhere near bland, his internal conflicts and his struggle to keep up with his powers are one of the most interesting things in MHA. He is also a positive figure in every relationship he has in the manga. Like for example in this arc, Bakugo basically only existed to be the gag character while Deku's talk with Todoroki is what ultimately made Endeavor reach his conclusion.
Deku's characterization is deeper than what people give him credit for, specially his connections to other characters

s y

Nov 8, 2017
He is nowhere near bland, his internal conflicts and his struggle to keep up with his powers are one of the most interesting things in MHA. He is also a positive figure in every relationship he has in the manga. Like for example in this arc, Bakugo basically only existed to be the gag character while Deku's talk with Todoroki is what ultimately made Endeavor reach his conclusion.
Deku's characterization is deeper than what people give him credit for, specially his connections to other characters
wow, sounds like a best supporting actor nominee.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess Bakugo gotta give the best character to Endeavor now, he's getting a bit flanderized nowadays since Joint Training

Deku is one of the least intresting parts of MHA sadly in my opinion. He's not awful as a charcter but just bland

Despite my gripes, I thought having multiple quirks would help, but now we're kinda just doubling down on his development being mainly about improving his powers than actually being an interesting character in his own right.

Is it time to kill All Might? ;D

Oct 25, 2017
I guess Bakugo gotta give the best character to Endeavor now, he's getting a bit flanderized nowadays since Joint Training

Despite my gripes, I thought having multiple quirks would help, but now we're kinda just doubling down on his development being mainly about improving his powers than actually being an interesting character in his own right.

Now will that help is my question or make it worst

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Deku is a good boy. He's not my favorite character in the series, but I can't really think of many shonen where the MC is. I can only think of Yusuke from YYH

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah, Bakugo's been kinda obnoxious this arc
And I personally really like Deku due to how heroic he is

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Blackleg-sanji1 Lotus

Of course that scenario would help because it would put Deku onto a new path and force him to confront a whole lot of new issues.
Very rarely is a character boring in principle. Most of the time, it's the narrative that's failing to push/pull them in new directions.

Deku's got too much together right now. Horikoshi has either got too break him down a bit or give him a personal type of quest, a plotline where he's in the driving seat and makes the decisions.

Endeavor's got both of these elements on his side right now and he's the best character in the manga for it.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
He's probably the most least interesting one in 1A for me
IMO

Ard wait I forgot a character(do you blame me) grape juice boy
The opposite for me, with the exception of Todoroki and Bakugo, every other UA students seem pretty one note, Deku is at least a driving force for the plot so that alone puts him above the other kids for me

This is true, Horikoshi hasn't focused on Deku's character development lately, his character mainly has just been mastering AFO but I am sure he's going to get a actual shift in character once he loses someone close to him 4 months from now

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Deku needs an arc all by himself. He doesn't really shine in group settings like he used to. Him losing the underdog status hurt his character I think
Endeavor can have it for now, Hori is setting up something juicy for Bakugo and I can wait for it
Bakugo's Hero name and potential conflict with Hawks was also set up this arc.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Blackleg-sanji1 Lotus

Of course that scenario would help because it would put Deku onto a new path and force him to confront a whole lot of new issues.
Very rarely is a character boring in principle. Most of the time, it's the narrative that's failing to push/pull them in new directions.

Deku's got too much together right now. Horikoshi has either got too break him down a bit or give him a personal type of quest, a plotline where he's in the driving seat and makes the decisions.

Endeavor's got both of these elements on his side right now and he's the best character in the manga for it.
Deku's got everything together at the end of the culture festival, after that the only arcs that really had him in the front was the 1a vs 1b arc that was more directed to develop his powers than his character, and kinda this last one that was more focused on him trying to dominate his new powers.
But with the big arc against the army coming I am sure this will change, it will hit Deku the hardest, he is a big hero fan and seeing the hero society collapse will be very bad for him
The opposite for me, with the exception of Todoroki and Bakugo, every other UA students seem pretty one note, Deku is at least a driving force for the plot so that alone puts him above the other kids for me

This is true, Horikoshi hasn't focused on Deku's character development lately, his character mainly has just been mastering AFO but I am sure he's going to get a actual shift in character once he loses someone close to him 4 months from now
I dunno the shift will be because someone will die but he will surely be the biggest affected if the hero society falls. If the public perception changes Deku will be the one that will be hit the hardest because of how much a hero fanboy he is.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Deku needs an arc all by himself. He doesn't really shine in group settings like he used to. Him losing the underdog status hurt his character I think
I disagree, like I said he is the character that has the most impact on others and it was important in this arc.
Bakugo's Hero name and potential conflict with Hawks was also set up this arc.
You didnt get what I meant. What I said is that even in this arc that wasnt about him Deku still had a big impact with his talk with Todoroki

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I disagree, like I said he is the character that has the most impact on others and it was important in this arc.
As a character himself he he stagnated since the Culture Festival. It's all about developing his powers atm, which isn't as compelling to me.
You didnt get what I meant. What I said is that even in this arc that wasnt about him Deku still had a big impact with his talk with Todoroki
I got what you meant, I didn't mention Deku. You said Bakugo was a gag character in this arc and I listed off two things that show he wasn't just played for laughs. He arguably got more development this arc than Deku did

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Different hair texture, different chin shape. Similar eye shape, though Dabi's are drawn angular while Toya's are rounded. They look a lot alike if you're looking for them to.

This is literally saying this arc is teasing it because you already assume Dabi is Toya.
Also, it makes no sense for Dabi to taunt Shoto unless he's his older brother

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
As a character himself he he stagnated since the Culture Festival. It's all about developing his powers atm, which isn't as compelling to me.

I got what you meant, I didn't mention Deku. You said Bakugo was a gag character in this arc and I listed off two things that show he wasn't just played for laughs. He arguably got more development this arc than Deku did
It isnt about development. All Might is a character that barely developed and is still great because of his influence on others, Deku is the same for me.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
It isnt about development. All Might is a character that barely developed and is still great because of his influence on others, Deku is the same for me.
Personally, I like character development in my stories. You can also influence people and be a great character in your own right, hell, the main character influencing others is basically a Shounen commandment. Tanjiro, Luffy, Naruto, Goku, Yusuke, etc, all do this. It's not unique to Deku.

You think Deku is fine the way he is, more power to you. He's definitely missing something for me, and I say that still liking his character. He's not touching the greats imo, but he could still get there

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I like character development in my stories. You can also influence people and be a great character in your own right, hell, the main character influencing others is basically a Shounen commandment. Tanjiro, Luffy, Naruto, Goku, Yusuke, etc, all do this. It's not unique to Deku.

You think Deku is fine the way he is, more power to you. He's definitely missing something for me, and I say that still liking his character. He's not touching the greats imo, but he could still get there
I disagree with your statement for a lot of resons:
  1. Deku has character development, it is just that not every arc is about his character development;
  2. Deku influence isn't magical like some of these characters, he just doesnt talk with the other characters and change them, it is kind of a slow burn. Biggest example is Todoroki, Deku's relationship with Todoroki is one that comes since the sports festival and he still influencing him for the better;
  3. Also not having a character development doesnt mean you arent a great character, like I said earlier, there is All Might.
One big aspect of My Hero Academia is that it cares about the aftermath, it just a big moment happens and the character is changed, and deku is huge part of how this works. To give another example we have eri, Deku saved her in the Yakuza arc but the manga make an enitre arc about to show the heroes adequate her to a normal life, with deku being the main person working towards this

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Blackleg-sanji1 Lotus

It's the mole. And that's why the mole has to be someone significant.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I disagree with your statement for a lot of resons:
  1. Deku has character development, it is just that not every arc is about his character development;
  2. Deku influence isn't magical like some of these characters, he just doesnt talk with the other characters and change them, it is kind of a slow burn. Biggest example is Todoroki, Deku's relationship with Todoroki is one that comes since the sports festival and he still influencing him for the better;
  3. Also not having a character development doesnt mean you arent a great character, like I said earlier, there is All Might.
One big aspect of My Hero Academia is that it cares about the aftermath, it just a big moment happens and the character is changed, and deku is huge part of how this works. To give another example we have eri, Deku saved her in the Yakuza arc but the manga make an enitre arc about to show the heroes adequate her to a normal life, with deku being the main person working towards this
I'll break it down too

1. Every arc doesn't need to be. He's stagnated since the cultural festival imo and could use an arc more focused on him. Agree or disagree, that's how I see it.

2. Magical? I don't agree that these other MC's had some magical influence over their cast that Deku doesn't. The same stuff happens. They fight, words are exchanged, and they are changed through the MC's interactions. These other series have slow burns, or did you forget Naruto and Sasuke or how long it took for Vegeta to acknowledge Goku? This isn't unique to MHA man

3.All Might has had character development though. I don't think the powerless All Might we have now is the same person we saw in chapter 1. I'm also satisfied with All Might's development as a mentor character. I can't say the same about Deku's development as the protagonist

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it was always going to be personal. Nobody at UA would be significant to the world at large

The traitor is Can't-You-See-kun

Deku is a good boy. He's not my favorite character in the series, but I can't really think of many shonen where the MC is. I can only think of Yusuke from YYH

I don't need Deku to be my favorite, I just need him to be better, to have that "it factor"

Tanjiro from Yaiba is also a good boy, probably even nicer than Deku, but I have never been down on him like I've been with Deku.

I was just pondering how his dynamic with All Might is the best thing about Deku, so that being taken away will suck.

Is Deku even more compelling than Ichigo from Bleach? ⚆ _ ⚆

Uhhhhh, idk, Deku actually has a goal, but he does feel similarly bland nonetheless.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The things I said are present in this image.
Also, it makes no sense for Dabi to taunt Shoto unless he's his older brother
It makes no sense for the fire wielding villain seemingly deformed by his own powers to "taunt" (and by taunt you mean speak the name of) the (from an outside perspective) privileged fire wielding son of the fire wielding number 2 hero who is a prime example of everything Stain (the inspiration the aforementioned fire wielding villain claimed lead him join the league because of) said was wrong with hero society unless he is the brother of said privileged son?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Deku is not comparable to the worst of the worst Shonen heroes, c'mon now. You've got a ton of really, truly awful characters in there. Mindless "let's fight!" guys, mindless "let's peek!" guys, mindless "friend power!" guys, or... whatever the fuck Ichigo was. Deku at least has some kind of ethos and hook to him. He's not as interesting as somebody like Bakugou, because his personality is more static, but bad by comparison isn't the same as bad.

Anyway, I've said my bit on Dabi before, but having a connection to the family doesn't mean he necessarily has to be the brother.
Tanjiro is like a better Deku tbh
I mean, Tanjiro is in a class of his own.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Deku and "relateability" is that Deku is a crazy person. (This is not dissimilar from say, Goku in DBZ.) At the beginning of the series he's seeking an impossible goal which he's guaranteed to fail at, then obtains great power by happenstance .... that he promptly destroys himself with in the name of his dream. His insanity is what propels the series forward, but it also makes him a hard person to emphasize with because virtually anyone else in his position would have taken a different path.

Other characters in the story are people that you're more likely to have encountered in your life. We know assholes who would unexpectedly open up like Bakugou, we know parents who fucked up like Endeavor. Hori's incredible at characterization (as long they're male anyway) and the level at which he's able to evolve the supporting cast stands in pretty stark contrast to Deku, who's much more static.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yes. The things I said are present in this image.

It makes no sense for the fire wielding villain seemingly deformed by his own powers to "taunt" (and by taunt you mean speak the name of) the (from an outside perspective) privileged fire wielding son of the fire wielding number 2 hero who is a prime example of everything Stain, who said fire wielding villain claimed to join the league because of, said was wrong with hero society unless he is the brother of said privileged son?
His exact words "were how sad, Shoto Todoroki" in a taunting manner, which makes more sense if he's mocking him in a way like "Oh, you're supposed to be the masterpiece and I'm the failure, but look how this turns out."

If he isn't his bro, then why else would he say that?

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
exact words "were how sad, Shoto Todoroki" in a taunting manner, which makes more sense if he's mocking him in a way like "Oh, you're supposed to be the masterpiece and I'm the failure, but look how this turns out."

If he isn't his bro, then why else would he say that?
Because he just failed to successfully rescue his friend despite being the golden boy son of the number 2 hero.

In the pursuit of Dabi being a Todoroki, I really feel like some of y'all are forgetting he joined the league because of Stain's ideology and continued to uphold that, burning people who wanted to join but failed to meet his standards.

I'm not saying it won't happen, mind. I'm saying that you're reading into literally everything being teasing it, whether it is or isn't. Going so far as to say a villain taunting a hero for failing could only mean that villain is his brother.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If I'm interpreting the dialogue correctly, I'm getting the impression that Endeavor and his family believe Touya died doing something bad. Something that he'd have to be forgiven for posthumously, and that Endeavor's ice son blames Endeavor for his brother going off the rails.

Which, yeah, lines up with Dabi being a villain, being deliberately kept away from interacting directly with any of the Todorokis, etc.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Tanjiro is constantly struggling against the the central conflict of his sister being a demon, even thought he's supposed to be hunting demons. Otherwise, they're largely the same. In fact, Deku vs. Gentle was a very Tanjiro arc.
Yeah, two things I think put Tanjiro over.

Tanjiro has a much stronger hook to him. They are both sympathetic characters with huge amounts of empathy, but I think the Nezuko of it all makes his goal feel a lot more immediate. Deku wanting to be "the greatest hero" is a lot more nebulous a goal in comparison

Tanjiro isn't as much of a pushover, despite being really nice. Deku seems too timid at times, at least for me

Oct 25, 2017
Ah shit here we go the other shonen mc comparisons have started don't mention tanjiro cuz if I see a tanjiro get compared to deku I'll lose my sh....*looks up goddammit

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Ah shit here we go the other shonen mc comparisons have started don't mention tanjiro cuz if I see a tanjiro get compared to deku I'll lose my sh....*looks up goddammit
giphy.gif

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
You don't like Tanjiro? Interesting
I like him well enough but he doesn't really have much beyond being a really good boy, Deku is similar to Tanjiro but he has more negative traits he has to grow from which actually makes me like him more, Tanjiro is a character that had his shit figured out early on so he ends up feeling more like a static character

Status
Not open for further replies.