• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
plenty of endgame villains are irrational serial killers but the common denominator between them is that they are fearsome characters that make you worry about the lives of the main characters, Shigaraki doesn't do that, if he were to kill people close to Deku and have the power to become a character that needs to be stopped at all costs because he's killing millions, then he would be a villain to fear for when he's on screen, AFO is probably more one dimensional than Shigaraki but he's a better villain because shit goes down when he's on screen

They need more than that, there's no real personal grudge between them yet, it'll most likely be built later but right now they are not nemesis
The personal grudge will probably be when he kills All Might
I really hope All Might lives tho

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I still want to see what the League is planning with the dequirk bullets. I assume there is some plan there.

Also I've like Shiggy ever since the highway incident with Overhaul. It's such a great chapter.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
plenty of endgame villains are irrational serial killers but the common denominator between them is that they are fearsome characters that make you worry about the lives of the main characters, Shigaraki doesn't do that, if he were to kill people close to Deku and have the power to become a character that needs to be stopped at all costs because he's killing millions, then he would be a villain to fear for when he's on screen, AFO is probably more one dimensional than Shigaraki but he's a better villain because shit goes down when he's on screen

Shiggy being a villain to fear is also another issue people have with him, but that being fixed won't change the fact that his goal just isn't interesting for the main antagonist of the series. Even other villains themselves rightly call it out as childish.

Also I've like Shiggy ever since the highway incident with Overhaul. It's such a great chapter.

Twas' a good day for Overhaul haters

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I still think his power brings a lot of fear, it just doesnt bring fear in a battle shonen way

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I still think his power brings a lot of fear, it just doesnt bring fear in a battle shonen way
But one thing that actually does bring fear in Shonen is actions, Shigaraki actually needs to do evil things to be feared, if you look throughout the story the only arc he's been the main villain in was the USJ arc and he didn't do much there, even in the current arc he's protrayed as the hero taking out an evil town.

Shigaraki is a good character but currently a not so good villain, though I can see what Horikoshi is going for, he's currently only building up Shigaraki's character and saving up all the evil deeds for an arc were Shigaraki is finally the main Villain again, that way it'll be Shigaraki's I Am Here moment

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
I'd read the beginning chapters of this years ago, up to the beginning of the sports festival, but I fell off it for whatever reason. I kept hearing good things about the anime adaptation so I gave it another shot.

A few weeks later and I've voraciously watched every single aired episode, then immediately burned through every manga chapter up to the current. I wouldn't say I ever totally fell off watching anime but that's kinda crazy for me. I usually watch one show a season, sometimes two, sometimes nothing. There's just something about it that really grabbed me - the world building, how much attention it gives to side characters, the gradual but steady and satisfying character development.

Part of why I picked it back up was Mirio and Toga, I'd seen them posted around a lot and their designs intrigued me enough to want to know more. Not gonna lie, based on how popular she seemed to be I thought there'd be more Toga/Izuku yandere action but they've barely interacted so far. And Mirio was actually a lot cooler than I expected his Tintin looking ass would be. I love the concept of weird/weak-sounding powers being taken to an extremely refined level.

I watched the movie last and during one of the flashbacks to the very beginning I noticed that
the doctor who told Izuku that he'd never get a quirk is the same motherfucker working for All for One. I understand that people following this week to week probably figured it out long before (thanks to anime voice casting) but it was a neat little holy shit moment for me.
Are there any other neat bits of callback/foreshadowing like that I missed?

Anyways, Twice is best bro and Shoji needs to stop getting snubbed because his power and design are super interesting.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But one thing that actually does bring fear in Shonen is actions, Shigaraki actually needs to do evil things to be feared, if you look throughout the story the only arc he's been the main villain in was the USJ arc and he didn't do much there, even in the current arc he's protrayed as the hero taking out an evil town.

Shigaraki is a good character but currently a not so good villain, though I can see what Horikoshi is going for, he's currently only building up Shigaraki's character and saving up all the evil deeds for an arc were Shigaraki is finally the main Villain again, that way it'll be Shigaraki's I Am Here moment
I don't think he needs to stir fear to be a good villain. It is a thing that works for some villains but not for every one.

Dec 28, 2018
tumblr_nkrmqsLoIO1tkhqtso1_400.gif
tenor.gif

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I'm of the opinion that Shiggy will continually get new motivations as the series progresses. His current goal is very vague and it is a black mark on what has been some excellent character development for him lately. I'm almost certain as more of his backstory and history with his family is revealed his motivations will become more concrete.

I kinda see it as a Part 2 Sasuke situation where his motivations for being evil changed every arc

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
He's the villain foil for Deku. There isn't some end game villain to appear later, Shiggy is growing into that end game villain like Deku is growing into a hero.

Oh I understand that (it's not exactly a subtle relationship between the two) it's just that he has no charisma, no personality and dull motivations.

I can see what the author is attempting to do, I just personally don't think its being executed as well as it could be.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Shiggy has a lot of personality
His charisma and motivations suck but thats part of his development arc

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think that the problem isn't Shiragaki's goal, it's his reasoning. He's basically acting like a kid lashing out - thus the "manchild" label he gets hit with in-universe and out. But as he calms down and gets exposed to more stuff, I think that you'll see his thinking evolve, if not his endpoint. What he needs to do is internalize a little of Re-Destro's motivations and start to frame himself as the hero of his own story a bit. He's going to tear down everything because it'll be better then!

This'll nicely set up his full nihilist turn later on when he gets his memories back and finds out that AfO is the reason his family died. Not enough to tear down the good guys, he's going to destroy everything . Only way to make sure nobody gets hurt is to make sure there's nobody to get hurt :thinky-hand:

Or that's how I see it going, anyway.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Here's a question for the thread: What kind of animal-based mutations would you like to see in the future?

I think a Goat hero could be really cool. They would be an aggressive brawler like Miruko, but deal damage primarily through devastating headbutts instead of kicks.
Dnz46X5.gif

Having those weird goat eyes on a human face would also make for a unique character design.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a question for the thread: What kind of animal-based mutations would you like to see in the future?

I think a Goat hero could be really cool. They would be an aggressive brawler like Miruko, but deal damage primarily through devastating headbutts instead of kicks.
Dnz46X5.gif

Having those weird goat eyes on a human face would also make for a unique character design.
A moose. They would be terrifyingly powerful and large. All Might would look normal (in terms of height) next to them.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
We need to see how powerful Miruko is, we know that she can jump super high and be super fast by her appearance in the pro hero arc but I want to see more

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
The League of villains dumping on the Yakuza that whole arc was what won me over. Twice and Toga openly mocking them so they messed up was amazing. Then of course Shiggy and Compress taking away both of Overhauls' arms at the end. "I'd say you can't even lift a finger to it but it seems you don't even have those anymore". Absolutely savage.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Meta Ability: Stress It stores stress and turns it into power. The more saved up the larger and stronger he becomes!

Text Bubble: An earthquake...!?

Hype Text: In the middle of this intense battle... a sudden strange event in the city!?

Next week MHA will be on a break. Planned to resume in issue 32.

Edit:

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Meta Ability: Stress It stores stress and turns it into power. The more saved up the larger and stronger he becomes!

Text Bubble: An earthquake...!?

Hype Text: In the middle of this intense battle... a sudden strange event in the city!?

Next week MHA will be on a break. Planned to resume in issue 32.

That's my secret, I'm always stressed.

Also lame, nothing the next week

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
it was stated in one of those quirk reveal box panels
You're right It is stated but it's said by the guy Spinner is fighting so I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to it. There is a quirk at the end of the chapter called Stress that's in a quirk box proper. I may be wrong about all this but it's just what I'm gathering

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
You're right It is stated but it's said by the guy Spinner is fighting so I wouldn't be surprised if there's more to it. There is a quirk at the end of the chapter called Stress that's in a quirk box proper. I may be wrong about all this but it's just what I'm gathering

Spinners quirk is called Gecko, he can stick to walls and not much else (hence why he didn't use it at the training camp)

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
one of the scans also mentions Twice gathering and cloning alot of blood to perform Blood Transfusion on Toga, as a comic fan whenever I hear Blood Transfusion I automatically expect something odd to come from it and knowing how Horikoshi is a huge Marvel fan I can see Toga gaining something out of it

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Chapter Spoilers from the usual guy
Twice copies Toga for her to give herself blood

Hanabata's quirk is electromagnetic pulse

ReDestro gets big

Shigaraki loses half his hand(his actual hand)

Deku is at the town border

Edit:
the Deku part could be fake, this leaker is a known troll, and the thread he posted to leak on hates Deku so that part is 100%

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Damn the panel of Shiggy getting his hand messed up is hardcore. Also the leaker means Giga surely

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
inb4 complaining about lack of Dabi screen time

I like Re-Destro's quirk. He looks super creepy in the final panel. Cool to see Skeptic fight in the fontlines with his gorilla puppets.

Although it's probably just a part of his personality anyway, Re-Destro's quirk partially explains the extreme mood swings we've seen so far.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
- Gee, now why would Twice think that Dabi of all people knows a good plastic surgeon...

- Some more limitations on Twice's quirk presented I see. I always found the idea of Toga being copied being potentially fascinating given her own quirk so I do actually wonder if anything interesting will come out of that one day.

- I think I officially do not care for Destro's henchmen.

- Spinner's quirk is pretty disappointing, especially given how long it took just to learn what it was. The ability to stick to walls, surely that's not all... right?

- Likewise, the full explanation of what Destro's quirk is a little underwhelming. It really is just a better version of Kendo's quirk, just framed through stress. (So many jokes one can make out of who would utilize that quirk best lol) I did get a kick out of him saying it affects his hairline though. And admittedly, can't deny that it gets results when all is said and done, Shiggy's hand got f u c k e d up. Now that the quirk has been fully explained, I'm sure part of the reason Horikoshi gave Destro that ability is so he can properly face off against Giganto without getting immediately creamed.

- I often poked fun at Shiggy for having a strictly inferior quirk to Overhaul's, and it still is, but I had a nice chuckle at him now being at the point where he can fuck up the ground similarily to how Overhaul does it. Though I guess it's moot to point that out right after a chapter where he disintegrated an entire building...

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
- Likewise, the full explanation of what Destro's quirk is a little underwhelming. It really is just a better version of Kendo's quirk, just framed through stress. (So many jokes one can make out of who would utilize that quirk best lol) I did get a kick out of him saying it affects his hairline though.

It seemed very Kendo-eque last chapter, where one limb was disproportionately enlarged. With it fully activated, it seems much more akin to Muscular's quirk.

Good thing Hori properly established "accumulation" type quirks earlier, since this seems like another example. Speaking of who else would utilize the quirk well, Monoma would be an absolute monster lmao.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
In the first panel where Shiggy faces off with Redestro, Shiggy seems to be doing something with his pocket.

I suspect that he's going to try and hit Redestro with one of the quirk-destroying bullets.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
So not quirkless, but just a very weak quirk. I want Spinner to beat this dude, but Giganto seems like he's about to get there.

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the shame guy that Hawks took down would have hulled out too if he wasn't taken out instantly.

Also if Twice never copied Toga before...then what was up with the Toga clone in the Yakuza Raid? Did Toga drink Twice's blood and make her own clones?

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder if the shame guy that Hawks took down would have hulled out too if he wasn't taken out instantly.

Also if Twice never copied Toga before...then what was up with the Toga clone in the Yakuza Raid? Did Toga drink Twice's blood and make her own clones?

Until we get further info, it's a plothole.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
So he's not Ultimate Norman Osborn but actually stressed out Hulk. Noice. I like it. I wonder if the insults by Miyashita builds up stress...

Pretty shocked to see Shiggy lose most of his left hand like that, but... I guess that's karma for him? Slicing off Overhaul's hands and all. I guess.

Cool to finally see how... err, I already forgot his name, the puppet guy, makes his puppets. I wonder what he needs in order to make them though, aside from a large object to change into a puppet. Cool to see that it looks like he and Twice will be fighting head on.

Wait, I just realized... Doesn't Shigaraki's power up make him function similarly to his One's Justice version? That makes two villains whose quirks One's Justice took some liberties with but now turned out to be true.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

I'm guessing ether it was an inaccurate clone(wrong size because of no measurements) or maybe it was some Toga trick

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
one of the scans also mentions Twice gathering and cloning alot of blood to perform Blood Transfusion on Toga, as a comic fan whenever I hear Blood Transfusion I automatically expect something odd to come from it and knowing how Horikoshi is a huge Marvel fan I can see Toga gaining something out of it
She can already copy someone's appearance and voice after ingesting their blood, so if she gains some Twice powers that can result in something OP as fuck. Imagine if she can use the clone power making multiple copies of herself that completely transform into someone else, that would let them imitate entire bodies of government or even the entire U.A staff if they were so inclined.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, I just realized... Doesn't Shigaraki's power up make him function similarly to his One's Justice version? That makes two villains whose quirks One's Justice took some liberties with but now turned out to be true.
Turn out to be true or Hori told them or he played the game

Also "Hot and cold peaches"

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Shigaraki is using awakening i see. And damn at that hand mutilation.

Even then, Shigaraki seems so... bland as a villain. It's like Hori tries to keep building him up but then he throws him against far more interesting characters so he ends up looking like a forgettable NPC. When his motivation is just "burn it all" then it doesn't puts on the table anything new as a character or villain.

In contrast to Midoriya, that started the series with an interesting mindset and grows from that. Basically you can resume Shigaraki in 2 phrases "Kill all might" "destroy the hero society".

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Great chapter, I knew that Re-destro had a hulk type quirk, it is very different from Kendou's that can increase her hand with no accumulation
Also I liked a lot that Spinner quirk is lame, makes a lot of sense for his character, specially that he tries to emulate stain that didn't use his quirk much to fight
Of course he gets big.
How else would he job.
Crushing Shiggy's hands, that he needs to apply his quirk, isn't jobbing

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly predicted Spinner quirk will be lame quirk ages ago it fits with him being a loser that only got inspired by Stain and he would have used ages ago if it was actually powerful

Also all we know his quirk is Gecko and he can climb on walls it's more likely he can do whatever a gecko can but he never practiced because he's too busy copying stain and playing GTA

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly predicted Spinner quirk will be lame quirk ages ago it fits with him being a loser that only got inspired by Stain and he would have used ages ago if it was actually powerful

Also all we know his quirk is Gecko and he can climb on walls it's more likely he can do whatever a gecko can but he never practiced because he's too busy copying stain and playing GTA
Yeah, compare him to Tsuyu or Miruko for example, I am pretty sure he is able of doing superhuman feats if he actually tried

Status
Not open for further replies.