• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
download.png

Yeah, they're gonna have to censor that somewhat in the anime.

No way they show a hand being destroyed like that.

They're gonna have to censor most of this arc the way things are going

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I'd kind of figured that the earlier Toga clone was a "close enough" clone without measurements, but this does make more sense.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't have minded if it was an error/retcon, but it's cool that we got a clarification from Horikoshi about the Toga double thing.
It's not Ana it's her Mom and I think it's Grim Hunt
Yeah it's the Grim Hunt storyline which was kind of the climax to The Gauntlet if you remember that. Ana and her mom Alyoshia plan to resurrect Kraven but manipulate a bunch of old school enemies to go after Spidey one after another for weeks to wear him down. I started collecting single issues of Amazing at Brand New Day so it's a storyline I remember fondly.

Let's just say at that point in the story Spidey was done playing lol
Ooh, yeah, I remember now. That was a long time ago... Great arc.
I've got a buddy working their way through the manga for the first time, now, and they're really calling "Bakugou will probably end up a villain because he's never really lost and when he does it'll break him" during the license arc. This'll be fun :D
LOL. I love impressions like that, haha. Not ashamed to say I was one of those people who thought he was gonna turn, so I was incredibly hyped when I saw him reject their offer. That was such an awesome moment.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I never got the impression that Bakugo would end up a villain personally. I always knew he was an asshole, but he seemed like the type that would consider switching sides to be what a loser does.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Bakugo becoming a villain was an idea that never made sense to me, Bakugo's main goal is to become the best Hero, that goal is literally impossible if he became a villain, and the Sasuke comparisons were always dumb, Bakugo is alot more like Vegeta instead of Sasuke

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugo becoming a villain was an idea that never made sense to me, Bakugo's main goal is to become the best Hero, that goal is literally impossible if he became a villain, and the Sasuke comparisons were always dumb, Bakugo is alot more like Vegeta instead of Sasuke
It depends on the definition of hero that you are talking about. Endeavor is a hero as a profession, but many people considered him a villain to the story bfore the pro hero arc.

Oct 25, 2017
Shoto never seemed like an avenger like Sasuke so Im confused on where the similarity people are drawing for him, maybe the thing with trying to please his father is similar but beyond that he just seemed unique and different in the genre.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It depends on the definition of hero that you are talking about. Endeavor is a hero as a profession, but many people considered him a villain to the story bfore the pro hero arc.
I meant as the actual profession, Bakugo can be an asshole like Endeavor but the doesn't make ether of them villains, breaking the law or joining an evil organization would automatically make them lose their hero license, something Bakugo needs to accomplish his goal

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Shoto never seemed like an avenger like Sasuke so Im confused on where the similarity people are drawing for him, maybe the thing with trying to please his father is similar but beyond that he just seemed unique and different in the genre.
It's not a 1:1, Todoroki is different enough. Obviously never been evil for one. But he has a similar brooding vibe about him, while also being regarded as a prodigy. He also has a family member impeding his progress in some way. The similarity was strongest in the first couple arcs, it's faded somewhat as he's developed.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
I think a lot of the early characterization of Bakugo was a little meh (he just is TOO much of an asshole to accept as a potential top hero) but I can't see him being a villain. Not when the most villainous people in the story are SO cartoonishly evil

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Now just to be clear, I was binging the series so it was a momentary thing I expected to happen only because of what was happening at that specific time. I didn't exactly have an abundance of time to think ahead or look back at stuff that much.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
People are too caught up in the traditional definition of a super hero and a hero in MHA when discussing Bakugo

In MHA they're basically glorified cops who get more freedom and money. It's obvious you don't need to be a good person to be competent at arresting people and not like cops are bastions of morality

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
People are too caught up in the traditional definition of a super hero and a hero in MHA when discussing Bakugo

In MHA they're basically glorified cops who get more freedom and money. It's obvious you don't need to be a good person to be competent at arresting people and not like cops are bastions of morality

You know, I actually think the series has tried to show otherwise. Pro heroes get put through the wringer to get their license and it really does show in the strength of their character. There have been plenty of jobber tier heroes who lacked the strength to get things done but I can't think of situations where they weren't 'heroic'. Fakeouts like Hawks and Bakugo just drive that home more. The message is, of course, that Stain was wrong.

Endeavor is a complicated case and I certainly don't think he's come close to redeeming the fucked up shit he's done. But that's more of a twisted 'ends justify the means' mindset and at least he's recognized that now. I don't think he's lacking in terms of his actions and willingness for self-sacrifice.

Maybe I overthink it but the idea of 'what it means to be a hero' is what draws me to this and One Punch Man. Mumen Rider in that series being a great example of someone who may not have much power but is undeniably heroic. And plenty of examples of the inverse there.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
The scene of Twices fighting over who gets to measure Toga was probably worth a little continuity error. I did like the Marvel No-Prize like explanations from the community over how it could've still worked out, though.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I keep thinking "oh I can't wait for the next MHA chapter" but then I remember no chapter this week and I get sad.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
40b2dgu1qq631.jpg

At least we get this

These little strips have reminded me of something I've thought for a little while. It would be cool if Hori decided to develop Ochaco and Momo's relationship, or made them main characters in a new arc.

Since they're the most prominent female protagonists, it just makes sense for them to have some sort of dynamic. There are, however, a few reasons why they might be interesting together.
Momo is rich and academically gifted. Uraraka, on the other hand, is from a working class background and one her primary motivations is to help her parents out financially. Uraraka also doesn't do well with tests/course work. When it comes to pure hero work, Momo is the one that struggles. Even though she has a great quirk, her performance hasn't been spectacular in the sports festival or recent class vs class arc. Uraraka has made the most of her opportunities and really grown as a fighter and hero. The two of them reflect each other's insecurities and weaknesses.

Might be nothing, but I also noticed that despite scoring low on the mid-term tests, Uraraka didn't participate in Momo's study sessions. A bit of rich-girl resentment?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
40b2dgu1qq631.jpg

At least we get this

These little strips have reminded me of something I've thought for a little while. It would be cool if Hori decided to develop Ochaco and Momo's relationship, or made them main characters in a new arc.

Since they're the most prominent female protagonists, it just makes sense for them to have some sort of dynamic. There are, however, a few reasons why they might be interesting together.
Momo is rich and academically gifted. Uraraka, on the other hand, is from a working class background and one her primary motivations is to help her parents out financially. Uraraka also doesn't do well with tests/course work. When it comes to pure hero work, Momo is the one that struggles. Even though she has a great quirk, her performance hasn't been spectacular in the sports festival or recent class vs class arc. Uraraka has made the most of her opportunities and really grown as a fighter and hero. The two of them reflect each other's insecurities and weaknesses.

Might be nothing, but I also noticed that despite scoring low on the mid-term tests, Uraraka didn't participate in Momo's study sessions. A bit of rich-girl resentment?

Maybe not resentment (that's not in Urarakas nature) just general insecurity I think, also all your points about a Momo/Uraraka arc make perfect sense which is why it'll never happen unfortunately, Hori ain't never gonna do a female only arc and we all know it :(.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
40b2dgu1qq631.jpg

At least we get this

I don't expect any resentment from Uraraka, that's highly doubtful. Interesting observation about how they're opposites though... Never thought about it that way. A small correction though: Momo is great with rescue work and the like as we saw in the license exam. It's the combat aspect of hero work that she's not so great on, though she has the potential but I suspect Horikoshi will have her lean towards the strategic side of battle rather than hands-on combat. *sighs* Uraraka's the opposite in that she's doing well with combat but still needs work on rescues and the like but has a lot of potential.

Oh wait! I guess Uraraka saved Deku and that counts as "rescue work and the like." Quick thinking and reflexes really helped lessen the damage.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I think a girl centric arc would be a good change of pace for the story, the boys dominate so much of the screen time that the girls don't get the opportunity to show their stuff as much as they should

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think a girl centric arc would be a good change of pace for the story, the boys dominate so much of the screen time that the girls don't get the opportunity to show their stuff as much as they should

Do they really? We haven't had a boys centric arc at all. Its more that Deku has gotten the most screen time and none of the side characters showed up much until the class A vs Class B arc that happened recently and ALmost all the girls had great showings within what we knew about them. I'd say most of the girls outshined the dudes.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit! The choreography! That was fly AF. Wow wow wow super!!!

I went into it thinking it was gonna be another lame live action fight but ended up losing my shit lol

The teleportation was really well done
Not sure how it's related to MHA outside of the music used and a nod at the end, but it's very well made. Nice find.

He's supposed to be a UA student in LA lol. He's got the uniform on and everything. It isn't necessarily meant to reflect the actual mangas, just takes place in the MHA universe.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
DAYUM that video! Very very cool choreography.
Yes. The female cast of the series is far too small and the only time a good amount of female characters got to shine was the joint training arc, whereas the sheer number of male characters always results in an opportunity to shine.
Plus, the last time they did set up a chance for the female students to shine in a big way, they ended up shuffling them off and having their entire plot take place off screen.

Really can't emphasize how much the way the women were treated in the Yakuza arc screwed up their development.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017

Plus, the last time they did set up a chance for the female students to shine in a big way, they ended up shuffling them off and having their entire plot take place off screen.

Really can't emphasize how much the way the women were treated in the Yakuza arc screwed up their development.

I'm going to have to disagree you there.

The girls were shafted, but Neijre, Tsu and dragon lady didn't have any sort of character arc set up. You can't screw up their development when there was no sign that those characters were gonna be developed anyway.

The exception is Uraraka, who's role in the Yakuza arc seems to have left a lasting impact of her character. For that reason, she's the only one of the dragon squad who really needed and deserved that lost screentime.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, the Yakuza arc is one of the biggest offenders in terms of the female cast and their screen time. They had the opportunity to develop these three and only really did anything with Uraraka. At least Uraraka's development has been pretty good even if it's a little slow.

Reminds me of how I was a bit disappointed to find out "Ujiko" was just the doctor and not a new female villain who joined the League. Speaking of which, we can include the current arc too. Curious had one battle and died almost immediately while the rest of the MLA executives are still running around doing things.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Yakuza arc is one of the biggest offenders in terms of the female cast and their screen time. They had the opportunity to develop these three and only really did anything with Uraraka. At least Uraraka's development has been pretty good even if it's a little slow.

Reminds me of how I was a bit disappointed to find out "Ujiko" was just the doctor and not a new female villain who joined the League. Speaking of which, we can include the current arc too. Curious had one battle and died almost immediately while the rest of the MLA executives are still running around doing things.

On the bright side, in both the Yakuza arc and this arc Toga continues to be the most relevant female character in the series, with this arc in particular giving her all the bells and whistles that would normally go to a male character, including brutal injuries.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Sorry for the perhaps stupid question. Is there a reason it's called Boku no Hero Academia in Japan, I mean the words hero and academia exist in Japanese right? Or is it only to sound cool perhaps?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Sorry for the perhaps stupid question. Is there a reason it's called Boku no Hero Academia in Japan, I mean the words hero and academia exist in Japanese right? Or is it only to sound cool perhaps?

Boku no means mine in Japanese, so boku no hero academia = mine/my hero academia

Why do American's call it by that name? Because they're weeaboos who hate the fact they aren't Japanese and refuse to read the English name in their face, ignoring it for the romanji name so they can feel elitist.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
There hasn't been any given explanation from what I know. Given that the series is heavily influenced by Horikoshi's love for western superhero comics, however, it's most likely to sound cool and more distinct. Heroes (ヒーロー pronounced "hiirō") and villains (ヴィラン pronounced "viran") in the series are literally called that even in the Japanese version, for instance.
Why do American's call it by that name? Because they're weeaboos who hate the fact they aren't Japanese and refuse to read the English name in their face, ignoring it for the romanji name so they can feel elitist
Don't generalize. While plenty of western fans do prefer to call it that, there's nothing wrong with it, and there are also plenty of others who prefer calling it by its English name.

Status
Not open for further replies.