• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Fan translation 1: I truly exist only to destroy
Fan translation 2: All I truly want to do is destroy
Viz translation: All I can do is destroy.
Shigaraki's talk with ReDestro

[redacted]: "Future? Who needs that?"
Viz: "No future huh? Nah I don't want that either".

Viz also says "all I can do is destroy" as opposed to "all I truly want to do is destroy" that other translations have

All this makes it more likely that Shigaraki will have a change of motives, the other translations make it seem like he is going to stay the way he is forever
Oh ok. I was expecting a bigger difference than that. I wouldn't look into it too much.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I can't hate on Nana for abandoning her son but it really did end up being the worst choice, she should had ask for ether Gran Torino or All Might to look after him

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
This your best avatar yet
giphy.gif

Aw shucks. Thanks! Welp, there you have it folks. Lotus approved.

You're the only Kat avatar I acknowledge on Era. Accept no substitutes.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Shit the Viz translation completely changes that line. I think we might be looking at a change in direction for Shiggy after this.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I thought All For One was talking about how Shigaraki's quirk was perfect for him one time as if he gave it to him at some point.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I was surprised by Shigaraki's line in VIZ's version as well. I don't think it'll mean much in terms of what happens going forward, but at least we know now that Shigaraki feels like all he can do is destroy, rather than simply wanting to destroy. It's a small-ish difference, but I like it.
I can't shake the feeling AfO is more responsible for the tragedy than Hori lets on.
The chapter actually made me feel like he isn't involved? Initially, anyway. Reading it again a few more times... I think he could still be involved, but I get the impression now that the quirk really was Shigaraki's, at least, as opposed to the theory that All For One gave him the quirk. I'm still open to the possibility of the theory though, of course.
How many more times must Dabi's backstory get skipped?!?!?
LOL. Yeah... but as I said earlier, I don't mind it getting pushed back. I'd rather wait than have it be told in a forced manner.
Dude, @Bunkitz, have you heard about Teppen? It's a card game with Capcom characters. Hearthstone is its closest comparison, but it has this awesome ATB system out of an RPG almost. I'm addicted. Using an X Charge Shot deck. The music is amazing. The remix to X's Sky Lagoon stage...godlike
DAMN. That sounds really good. And yes! I know about Teppen and I want to play it badly but unfortunately it's not yet available here... *sighs*
Yeah the clones still being competitive is a cool aspect to keep around.
I like Geten too brother. And yeah the contrast between Twice's and Skeptic's quirks is interesting. I almost always like fights between folks with similar abilities with some key differences. And here the difference may help Twice have a newfound appreciation for the way his quirk works, as opposed to an alternative he might've preferred in the past which is now put in front of him.
Same on the folks with similar abilities fighting! I think I find those appealing due to the kind of raw nature of it being Power X vs. Power X-but-slightly-different. Like, in a way, the battle is reduced to the nuances found in each of the powers. Like with Twice and Skeptic's case, they're essentially the same but at the same time fundamentally different? They're the same but also totally contrasting. It's cool.

Huh. It would be really cool if Twice ends up looking at his quirk differently and appreciates it in a new way. Maybe he'll begin to treat his clones with more care? Thinking of them as their own people, maybe. While still keeping their disposability, of course.
You're the only Kat avatar I acknowledge on Era. Accept no substitutes.
Damn, disrespecting DriftingSpirit just like that. Tsk, tsk.

By the way, I haven't started season 3 yet but Steve is indeed the best and I'm looking forward to his scenes in the new season.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
The chapter actually made me feel like he isn't involved? Initially, anyway. Reading it again a few more times... I think he could still be involved, but I get the impression now that the quirk really was Shigaraki's, at least, as opposed to the theory that All For One gave him the quirk. I'm still open to the possibility of the theory though, of course.
Oh yeah, it could be totally off base. I just think it's interesting Shigaraki didn't develop his quirk at the usual age, which could be for all manner of reasons. I just like the idea of AfO puppeteering from the shadows.
LOL. Yeah... but as I said earlier, I don't mind it getting pushed back. I'd rather wait than have it be told in a forced manner.
True
DAMN. That sounds really good. And yes! I know about Teppen and I want to play it badly but unfortunately it's not yet available here... *sighs*
RIGHT?!? Damn, that sucks. Really wanted to play with you. Hopefully it comes over soon, I guess the launch is still being rolled out
By the way, I haven't started season 3 yet but Steve is indeed the best and I'm looking forward to his scenes in the new season.
I enjoyed it quite a bit! Steve is the best yeah, lol
Damn, disrespecting DriftingSpirit just like that. Tsk, tsk.
Aight, run it. Tace and I got beef now.

481024658221694978.png
enhanced-15446-1457976375-10.png

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from seeing Spider Man Far From Home and
giphy.gif

Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio is the new best MCU villain, he literally stole every scene he was in, this movie also sold me on Tom Holland as Spider-Man, not that I was ever against him or didn't like homecoming but before he felt like Iron Man's sidekick, here he really comes into a his own, this also had the best mid credits ever, not sure where I'll rank this but it's definitely in the top three Spider-Man for me, if I had one complaint it's their take on Flash Thompson they pretty much ruined my favorite Spider-Man side character though hay you can't win them all

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
giphy.gif

Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio is the new best MCU villain, he literally stole every scene he was in, this movie also sold me on Tom Holland as Spider-Man, not that I was ever against him or didn't like homecoming but before he felt like Iron Man's sidekick, here he really comes into a his own, this also had the best mid credits ever, not sure where I'll rank this but it's definitely in the top three Spider-Man for me, if I had one complaint it's their take on Flash Thompson they pretty much ruined my favorite Spider-Man side character though hay you can't win them all
Good shit! Glad you liked it

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I just like the idea of AfO puppeteering from the shadows.
Same. It also just makes sense for me, given the lengths he's gone just to hurt All Might. Plus, he's a sick fuck in general.
RIGHT?!? Damn, that sucks. Really wanted to play with you. Hopefully it comes over soon, I guess the launch is still being rolled out
I'll let you know as soon as I can play!

That line is kind of weird to me now, since I don't think Shiggy wanted any of them to tell him he could be a hero. It was pretty clear he wanted them to stop his father from beating him. His mom and sister seemed pretty supportive of his dream after all.
giphy.gif

Amazing shit, yeah? Glad to see you loved it too!
I actually like this version of Flash, although I totally understand why someone would be disappointed. He's less of a bully now and is more of just a nuisance. Seeing the turn from bully who tormented him to becoming one of his best friends is more satisfying than seeing a person who annoyed him becoming one of his closest friends.

I agree on the Iron Man's sidekick thing. I'm really glad seeing how far he's come compared to how he performed back in Homecoming. On a related note, I kind of hated how he was so heavily tied to Iron Man before but since... Infinity War, maybe? Well, more of Far From Home, I suppose, I accepted that this is just how this version of Spider-Man is. The MCU's version is one that is supported and helped by Iron Man but that doesn't mean he's nothing without his mentor. Far From Home shows that really well and I love the entire struggle he goes through as the "successor of Iron Man" throughout the whole film. I like it now. It's a cool version and what matters is that it's done really well without undermining what makes Spider-Man and Peter Parker great.

Speaking of Far From Home, this was one of my favorite scenes and it's pretty dope fan art:

Now some awesome Endgame fan art that made me emotional due to the music and because the Portals scene makes me so emotional (cried through the whole thing during my second watch lol) and Cap summoning Mjolnir is, no joke, one of the happiest moments of my life:

---

EDIT: Okay, now for some dope MHA fan art:

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Mon-Chan was working for All For One, they're definitely fine. All part of the plan.

Always knew Corgis were overrated.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
That line is kind of weird to me now, since I don't think Shiggy wanted any of them to tell him he could be a hero. It was pretty clear he wanted them to stop his father from beating him. His mom and sister seemed pretty supportive of his dream after all.
The parallel there is just both of them had problems to their psyche because in both cases their family for whatever reason didn't say the thing they needed to hear. It's unfair to blame them because of course but Deku lack of confidence was probably as a result of his mom crying instead of comforting and Shigiraki hatred was because he thought his family didn't care about him because they didn't speak out. Both of those is related to them wanting to be heroes

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
The parallel there is just both of them had problems to their psyche because in both cases their family for whatever reason didn't say the thing they needed to hear. It's unfair to blame them because of course but Deku lack of confidence was probably as a result of his mom crying instead of comforting and Shigiraki hatred was because he thought his family didn't care about him because they didn't speak out. Both of those is related to them wanting to be heroes
Ah, I suppose you're right. Guess I was just being pedantic, haha.
Always knew Corgis were overrated.
HEY NOW WAIT A MINUTE--

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Aside from a deeper look into the League Of Villains, I think one of the most important lessons from this arc is that there is a lot of problems, whether they be related to quirks, society or family issues, that heroes can't solve of help with.
This issue also raised it's head in Gentle and LA Brava's story, but it's more comprehensive here. Most people now understand why an organization like the Liberation Army could exist.

It's a pretty important aspect of MHA's world, because it makes it necessary for the Hero Society to change.
All Might can remain the greatest hero of the old system while Deku and his generation lead Japan into a new era.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Aside from a deeper look into the League Of Villains, I think one of the most important lessons from this arc is that there is a lot of problems, whether they be related to quirks, society or family issues, that heroes can't solve of help with.
This issue also raised it's head in Gentle and LA Brava's story, but it's more comprehensive here. Most people now understand why an organization like the Liberation Army could exist.

It's a pretty important aspect of MHA's world, because it makes it necessary for the Hero Society to change.
All Might can remain the greatest hero of the old system while Deku and his generation lead Japan into a new era.
I agree, this is great storytelling

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Just saw the quoted tweet there. Weird take, but it makes me wonder if that actually is the case with Japan's Shonen Jump. Kishimoto certainly didn't shy away from doing similar stories.
Though for Kishimoto he had Sasuke who many people saw as the second protagonist, for Shigaraki it's different since this is the first arc where we're seeing their perspective

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Though for Kishimoto he had Sasuke who many people saw as the second protagonist, for Shigaraki it's different since this is the first arc where we're seeing their perspective
I actually wasn't thinking of Sasuke, haha. Forgot about him. I was thinking of Pain, Nagato, Obito, and Itachi. Most of these were the main antagonists at some point, so I think it's a pretty fair comparison. I get it though, there are some differences that set them apart. The CEO didn't say he didn't like it anyway, apparently, just that it was taboo among Jump titles. I think it's good that we're getting stories like this, I hope it won't be taboo for them eventually.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
For those who've been wanting to pick up the Blu-rays (first 2 seasons).

Edit: Deal expired.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I've been thinking about it after seeing FFH and MHA really needs a character like Mysterio. In the comics he uses tricks to fool Peter and I feel like MHA is really lacking in the illusionary trickster character. You'd think Hori would be all over it. Maybe he's saving it for later. I'm surprised the LoV doesn't have an illusionist.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I've been thinking about it after seeing FFH and MHA really needs a character like Mysterio. In the comics he uses tricks to fool Peter and I feel like MHA is really lacking in the illusionary trickster character. You'd think Hori would be all over it. Maybe he's saving it for later. I'm surprised the LoV doesn't have an illusionist.

Perhaps Cammie could get a larger role in an upcoming arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.