• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Bakugo's team stomping those guys was awesome. Good on him for being a team player.

Match ranking:
4>1>>>>>>>2>3

Match 2 sucked because Tokoyami deserved better than that, and mushroom hax is stupid.

Match 3 really sucked because Todoroki totally could have beaten Tetsu Tetsu just by going for the extremely obvious strategy of heating and cooling him repeatedly, and Poni forcing a tie was a really lame conclusion.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yung Bakugo stomping. Bakugo fights are always enjoyable to read for me simply because of the art for his explosions

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Ok Let's talk about Bakugo post DvsB 2
You know how people complain about Uraraka and iida not having an arc now? That is basically bakugo. Before Deku vs Bakugo he had struggles withh his inferiority complex towards deku and being the reason that all Might retires that was a really good arc to make him grow and creat conflict in the story. However, after the fight, this main issue was solved and while he is still socially problematic he just solve his issues with little to no conflict.
This battle focused on teamwork, Bakugo wasn't someone that was super good at working with others but in this fight he suddenly made a 180° without much behind it. Sure he worked in the band, but we didn't even follow him learning to work with the band, the focus was mostly on Jiro.
Another issue I have is that his plan wasn't really a plan, he just said some basic teamwork directive and made the rest the team follow him. He learning basic things shouldn't be enough to make him completely obliterate class B, specially seeing ho the oth B teams worked so far. And him basically making people follow him isn't really proper teamwork, that is just leading.
Another problem I have is how his classmates receive the way Bakugo treats them. Bakugo calling other underling, telling other to shut up is just treated like a gag. Lol the matter that he was a bully just until some months ago seems to be completely forgotten.
Basically my issue is that Bakugo doesn't have a conflict to solve and because of that he doesn't have a character arc. It doesn't help that all his "development" since the fight has been basically just showing the end results. I want to know why Bakugo is having a save to win mentality now, we could see he working to change his mindset, he failing a bit to get it right form the get go etc. For now it has been: Bakugo has an issue>someone says that he changed but it isn't shown how we worked for that>Bakugo now is really good at thething he was bad before. I mean he even gave a kid some counseling to not look down on others despite we never seing him working tonot look down on others himself.
Just compare with Todoroki, after his fight against Deku he improved a lot but he didn't magically solve the issues he had for years that fast. Until now we still see having problems using his fire side.

TLDR: Make bakugo have a real character arc

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sure he worked in the band, but we didn't even follow him learning to work with the band, the focus was mostly on Jiro.
This seems like singling out Bakugo for a "problem" that's common for many characters. The characters we don't follow at any given moment are still allowed their own agency and displays of the contrary would probably be met with more negativity as it would give off the impression that if a character isn't on screen, they don't exist and are in stasis as far as the overall story's mechanics are concerned. That's why I find it fine if many of these characters (and as this arc shows, that is far from being unique to Bakugo) are in some way different from the last time they got "focus", whether physically or mentally.

I understand that aspect bothering you and could easily see myself being bothered by the same thing in a different context or a different character but nevertheless we have to acknowledge that the "problem" isn't limited to one character.
Another issue I have is that his plan wasn't really a plan
See cool war quote from a page or two ago.
But also, that's in character. From his interactions with Deku, it's clear that one is more about planning ahead and the other is more about setting the pace and reading the flow. In a basic sense, Deku is a more mental character. Bakugo is a more physical one. Yeah he could've made a real plan and we would've screamed "oh my god he changed so much #growth" but change shouldn't be for the sake of it. If an aspect is key to the character and he's not particularly reprehensible for that, there's no need to change.
that is just leading.
Is that an issue? All these matches have had leaders and a leader is key in any team competition. Is the problem that Bakugo wasn't believably fit for that role?
Another problem I have is how his classmates receive the way Bakugo treats them. Bakugo calling other underling, telling other to shut up is just treated like a gag.
Actions > Words and all that. They seemed to have a problem with it last chapter (they were even calling him out on it) and not this one because of how, even though the language was the same, the behavior and conclusions to be taken from that were different and from the moment Bakugo came back to protect Jiro, it was clear to them he valued his teammates more than his language let on.
I mean he even gave a kid some counseling to not look down on others despite we never seing him working tonot look down on others himself.
We don't see him work on that I suppose but we do see the catalyst for that behavior, in the first Deku fight. Beyond that it's just a matter of characters thinking even if they aren't on screen, as discussed above.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like singling out Bakugo for a "problem" that's common for many characters. The characters we don't follow at any given moment are still allowed their own agency and displays of the contrary would probably be met with more negativity as it would give off the impression that if a character isn't on screen, they don't exist and are in stasis as far as the overall story's mechanics are concerned. That's why I find it fine if many of these characters (and as this arc shows, that is far from being unique to Bakugo) are in some way different from the last time they got "focus", whether physically or mentally.

I understand that aspect bothering you and could easily see myself being bothered by the same thing in a different context or a different character but nevertheless we have to acknowledge that the "problem" isn't limited to one character.
The other characters that have this problem aren't main characters.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
NSESN realizing the truth.

yes-rudy1.gif

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The other characters that have this problem aren't main characters.
Doesn't really change much to me. Main or not, Bakugo spends a lot of time in this series off screen and I don't mind if he has a different thought/technique/method/anything or two when he comes back from that time off screen. As long as it's believable. And for me it was in this case.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Silfer
How did I not know until now that the Just Because writer had another anime this season.

I'll have to catch up.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Those grenades as bullshit lol
Hmm? What was wrong with them?
I couldn't remember what happened then I did then I was whatever
Ouch.
Probably the third match for me. Shoto bias aside, seeing Juzo going nuts & Iida bringing out Recipro Turbo were great.

After all this time & build up, I am hype for this final match. Gooo Shinso & Deku developments!
As I've said, I love the third match, but it's kind of amusing for me to think of Shoto's performance there. It was awesome of course, but it boils down to him just standing there and getting pushed back by Tetsutetsu again and again. He sends wave after wave of ice that Tetsutetsu breaks through, then he burns hotter than he's ever burned before. It's one of those examples of MHA fights being much more about the context and emotions rather than the actual events of the battle.
the art for his explosions
Art? Explosions?

giphy.gif

But holy shit, I totally forgot his detonation word was "katsu!" It's not the same kanji used in Bakugo's Katsuki (勝己) but that's a really cool coincidence.
You haven't been watching Bunny Girl? Shit is too good! Though it's cool that you'll be able to watch the arcs without waiting.
Oh hey! I literally just started watching this tonight. It is surprisingly good. I'm kinda annoyed (well, more amused) at how different it is from what I expected looking at the art and title. I guess it's a perfect example of not judging a book by its cover, lol. I've only watched up to episode 2 but damn, it already got very heavy.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
15 to 17 the acceptable sweet spot I'm fine with him continuing at this pace, also I remember he did some 10 or 11 page chapters this arc, which chapters were those?
200 and 202 had 11 pages, 6 chapters had 13 pages, 6 chapters had 15 pages (including this week), 1 chapter had 17 pages according to my counting.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't recall who said this but someone here during the third match said that Todoroki's battle style was simply to overpower and overwhelm his opponent with his quirk and I remember that affected me so deeply. Ice is my favorite element in these kinds of works and it's a big part of why I love Todoroki but I usually love how ice users use their power in really intricate ways so when someone said that about Todoroki, the sudden realization hit me too damn hard and it hasn't been the same ever since!
Still love him though. But it'd be cool if he became able to do more specific, detailed things with his ice.

Art? Explosions?

giphy.gif

But holy shit, I totally forgot his detonation word was "katsu!" It's not the same kanji used in Bakugo's Katsuki (勝己) but that's a really cool coincidence.
I think I saw that Deidara did surprisingly well in a Naruto popularity poll. I think people love explosion boys for some reason.
Oh hey! I literally just started watching this tonight. It is surprisingly good. I'm kinda annoyed (well, more amused) at how different it is from what I expected looking at the art and title. I guess it's a perfect example of not judging a book by its cover, lol. I've only watched up to episode 2 but damn, it already got very heavy.
Bunny Girl is the biggest "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" moment I've ever had with fiction. Just saw the thumbnail on MAL as I was scanning seasonal shows and thought it'd be dumb ecchi shit. I did not at all expect what I got. Now it's among my three favorites of the season (with Run with the Wind and JoJo)

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Like I said dinky message boards

I laughed.

I didn't take it as Bakugo treating them as expendables, especially not during the Heartbeat Surround moment where he moved out of the way so she could take out Awase. It's just his vulgar personality. Plus, there's the whole not allowing a scratch on any of them, which is his determination to be the #1 but spread to the team, in a way.

It was great too that they had Awase there to stop anyone from chasing them when they're regrouping, but it was unfortunate for them that they had Sato. If Bakugo was the only heavy hitter of the team, he very well could have been stopped then and there. And... I just saw Sato's concept art and kinda wish that was what we got instead. Damn.
I don't think Bakugo sees them as expendable, just that like you said, his vulgar personality gives off the impression. I don't want Bakugo to suddenly stop being himself, god no, but I do think he could come off as less authoritarian

Oh yeah Sato did something totally unique other strength or enhanced types couldn't do

Break something, I'm sure Tetsutetsu was so jealous

Daaaaamn son. Why you gotta do Sato like that lol

Hot Take:

Endeavour > Bakugou in terms of characterisation and development

I can see it, but only because of the major arc Endeavor just got. Also, we all know Endeavor is gonna die at some point, right?
I want Monoma to get a flashback in his fight. Show me where this inferiority complex comes from. Show me that his cousin or uncle failed to become a hero or something. Show me that he looked up to his uncle so much that he just mentally crumbled when he learned his uncle's failing and became determined to not be a loser like him and yet with the behavior he's displaying he's destined to follow in his footsteps and even took inspiration from that uncle when determining his hero aesthetic and persona as the Phantom Thief. And then make that uncle the Gentle Criminal. Arc instantly becomes a 10/10.

This would be cool, but I've come around to the idea that's he just a dramatic guy, with no serious backstory. Feels funnier to me that way, but then again that would be an easy way to bring Gentle back..

This latest chapter combined with the other battles makes me feel Minas not getting shit accomplished the next fight beyond being a glorified assist at best. Ughh i need a new favorite character

Aw, Acido is cool. The match hasn't started yet, she could be MVP. BELIEVE!
I'll probably make a poll out of this soon once the final match concludes, but what's everyone's favorite match so far? I've found myself liking every successive match more than the last. I hope the pattern persists and that the last match will be the best.

The first match is a solid baseline with some cool moments, but some team members got shafted pretty hard like Kirishima, and Koda. Shinso's Persona Code and Eraser Head Style attack, as well as Tsuyu's dropkick were some of my personal highlights. Kaminari showing intellectual improvement was awesome too. While the second hurts me because Momo's team got wiped out like that, I can't deny what a pleasure it was to see such a well-oiled machine in the form of Kendo's team. Plus, all the TodoMomo. Mmm. Good Shit™. The next match had great moments throughout the entire match, from Recipro Turbo, to Octoblow, and Tetsutetsu's intense one-on-one with Shoto. I liked that it was a straightforward slugfest, but what I liked the most is probably the fact that everyone had their own cool moments, even Ojiro. This latest match is disappointing with the unfair treatment 1-B received and the lack of some really good moments for both Sato and Sero, but the unstoppable Bakugasm totally outweighed that for me.

Ahh, fair enough.

Hehehe.

Nor did we for some of the students in the past matches. I hoped we would at least learn a few for this match, Tokage's, perhaps. Shame we didn't. Guess we'll either have to wait for the volume or next character data book.

If it helps, Horikoshi has said before that he wants to showcase Mina's abilities and character more than any of the other girls. He's disappointed that he hasn't been able to (or found a good opportunity, I guess?), but here is a perfect chance for that, so maybe we'll get something good for her. I would pick her having screen time over everyone but Deku and Shinso, so I hope that she'll at least get some memorable moments and contribute largely to the (possible) victory.

The fifth match will probably be longer chapter-wise cause we might see some vestiges stuff (another flashback or dream sequence, ideally) and also due to Shinso's presence, so... maybe all four members of Deku's team will get their moments.
Match 4 without question. An explosive pick I know, but come on. That was an A+ stomping from Bakugo and friends. I also like that it was relatively short.

Match 1 would be runner up, honestly Shinsou with the Eraserhead wrapping flex made that entire fight for me. I didn't realize how much I wanted an Eraserhead protege until the possibility presented itself.

Match 3 is on the good side, TetsuTetsu made a lot of that fight for me surprisingly.

Match 2....Another L for Momo. *sigh*
Doesn't really change much to me. Main or not, Bakugo spends a lot of time in this series off screen and I don't mind if he has a different thought/technique/method/anything or two when he comes back from that time off screen. As long as it's believable. And for me it was in this case.

Sasuke did that shit all the time. Who can forget the great snake escape or the bird summon during the fight with Danzo. I swear Kishi just made up new moves for him on the spot, but it made sense. So yeah, you're right, same thing applies here

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I think I saw that Deidara did surprisingly well in a Naruto popularity poll. I think people love explosion boys for some reason.
He did! He made the top 10 a few times, if I recall correctly. He's also one of my favorite characters for some reason. I think I started liking him because of the art angle and then it kinda just spiralled, lol.
Bunny Girl is the biggest "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" moment I've ever had with fiction. Just saw the thumbnail on MAL as I was scanning seasonal shows and thought it'd be dumb ecchi shit. I did not at all expect what I got. Now it's among my three favorites of the season (with Run with the Wind and JoJo)
Yeah, I thought it'd be that kind of shit too. So glad it's not. The opening and Sakuta's little sister is giving me reverse harem vibes, though... it's not going to end up like that, is it? Glad to hear Run with the Wind is good too! It's on my queue and I think I'll watch it after I start (and catch up) to Slime, which I'll do after catching up to Rascal.
I don't recall who said this but someone here during the third match said that Todoroki's battle style was simply to overpower and overwhelm his opponent with his quirk and I remember that affected me so deeply. Ice is my favorite element in these kinds of works and it's a big part of why I love Todoroki but I usually love how ice users use their power in really intricate ways so when someone said that about Todoroki, the sudden realization hit me too damn hard and it hasn't been the same ever since!
Still love him though. But it'd be cool if he became able to do more specific, detailed things with his ice.
Aha, that was me, lol. I think I also mentioned before that ice is my favorite power too, so I'm also disappointed that he doesn't do much with it in terms of creativity. Seeing how Endeavor uses his Hellflame gives me hope that Shoto will be able to shape his ice into different things in the future and eventually use it in crazy cool (HEH) ways. Now we just need him to get his license and intern under his father once more and get some serious training done!

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of Deidara. He was pretty dope during his first appearance and his clay explosions were nuts. Hell, he went out better than majority of the other members.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Match 1 would be runner up, honestly Shinsou with the Eraserhead wrapping flex made that entire fight for me. I didn't realize how much I wanted an Eraserhead protege until the possibility presented itself.
Let the great Keiid deliver while we wait for the next match:

Match 2....Another L for Momo. *sigh*
Don't worry, brother. She'll get that W one day... She will and it'll be glorious. Just gotta wait.
Speaking of Deidara. He was pretty dope during his first appearance and his clay explosions were nuts. Hell, he went out better than majority of the other members.
Deidara was the best the Akatsuki had.

After Itachi cause it's not fair comparing anyone to NinJesus.

Okay, he's not the actual best, but he's the best in my heart. <3

After Itachi.
They just make Bakugo even more OP than he already is. I love them
Ohh. I don't think they make him that much more OP, though. They're more... utilitarian. An extra tool that can help a bit, and I'd like to think they're gonna end up as team assist tools instead, given that the two times they've been used so far were at the hands of one of his teammates. (I mean that I hope Bakugo never ends up using them and instead gives it to his teammates all the time)

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Todoroki said he can't make complicated shapes with his ice during the remedial exams. I was kinda disappointed when I read that. Dunno if it was foreshadowing him learning or that his ice quirk was put in a giant wall shaped box forever.

It's also more evident that all he really did in his match combat wise was get thrown around and hard countered with some off screen blocking.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
He did! He made the top 10 a few times, if I recall correctly. He's also one of my favorite characters for some reason. I think I started liking him because of the art angle and then it kinda just spiralled, lol.
I wouldn't say I was a big fan of him but I do like his design, power and attitude. Fun character.
Also really fun to play as and fight against in the Storm games due to being one of the long distance fighters.
Aha, that was me, lol. I think I also mentioned before that ice is my favorite power too, so I'm also disappointed that he doesn't do much with it in terms of creativity. Seeing how Endeavor uses his Hellflame gives me hope that Shoto will be able to shape his ice into different things in the future and eventually use it in crazy cool (HEH) ways. Now we just need him to get his license and intern under his father once more and get some serious training done!
Truly you tested my love for the character!
It'll be interesting to see how his quirk's growth is balanced across the two quirks. Licenses should be obtained soon right? I lose track of when things happen in relation to others but I feel like they should get their licenses soon since the exam was right after the summer and now the weather is starting to get cold and they're in their winter uniforms.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh boy, more Bakugo gushing >_>
I don't even remember him being distinctly against cooperating. He largely seems the same as always, but he's now incorporated his teammates in doing what he wants to

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Let the great Keiid deliver while we wait for the next match:

Don't worry, brother. She'll get that W one day... She will and it'll be glorious. Just gotta wait.

Deidara was the best the Akatsuki had

One day brother! Momo will shine in the sun. Also, holy shit that artist is really good.

Deidara and Kisame were hardcore, best of the Akatsuki

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Truly you tested my love for the character!
It'll be interesting to see how his quirk's growth is balanced across the two quirks. Licenses should be obtained soon right? I lose track of when things happen in relation to others but I feel like they should get their licenses soon since the exam was right after the summer and now the weather is starting to get cold and they're in their winter uniforms.

I'm thinking one more big villain arc(though probably not as long as the Yakuza arc), the license exam retake, and finally year one final exams. That should be it for their first year I think.

I'm curious what their final exam could be. Maybe a 1v1 against a teacher? Or old reformed villains maybe, that could be cool

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking one more big villain arc(though probably not as long as the Yakuza arc), the license exam retake, and finally year one final exams. That should be it for their first year I think.

I'm curious what their final exam could be. Maybe a 1v1 against a teacher? Or old reformed villains maybe, that could be cool
One more villain arc makes sense. Cause it allows for more secondary 1A characters to get a villain arc (like Mina who apparently Hori wants to write more about) and then once Bakugo and Todoroki get their licenses to door is opened for them to come back to those arcs.

Final Exam??? How about...3 students against...a Pro Hero who graduated UA in the year right before those students entered and then...the Hero has small bells and...the students have to grab a bell to pass the test and advance to 2nd year. But then, crazy twist, there are only two bells!!!
I'm a genius.

(No but seriously, I think that since they've already fought teachers and we already now about some third years, it'd be cool if they faced off against some recent UA graduates. They'd know better than anyone what it's like to just become a hero in their period, which is special because of the League of Villain shit and All Might retiring)

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
You know, while Deku is overdue for a L, I'd love for him to have a win that didn't come from typical shonen hero reasons. Has Deku ever had a win that didn't fuck him over somehow?

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
You know, while Deku is overdue for a L, I'd love for him to have a win that didn't come from typical shonen hero reasons. Has Deku ever had a win that didn't fuck him over somehow?
When Deku wins he also loses. When Deku loses he also wins. So it's hard to say lol.

I guess his cleanest, not much to regret, victories are the Sports Festival race, Shinso match and the License Exam.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
I don't want Deku to win because Shinso was robbed during the Sports Festival and Copy is too cool of a power for Monoma to get chumped after all his talk.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
One more villain arc makes sense. Cause it allows for more secondary 1A characters to get a villain arc (like Mina who apparently Hori wants to write more about) and then once Bakugo and Todoroki get their licenses to door is opened for them to come back to those arcs.

Final Exam??? How about...3 students against...a Pro Hero who graduated UA in the year right before those students entered and then...the Hero has small bells and...the students have to grab a bell to pass the test and advance to 2nd year. But then, crazy twist, there are only two bells!!!
I'm a genius.

(No but seriously, I think that since they've already fought teachers and we already now about some third years, it'd be cool if they faced off against some recent UA graduates. They'd know better than anyone what it's like to just become a hero in their period, which is special because of the League of Villain shit and All Might retiring)

I'm down for some UA graduates showing up, plus it would be cool to see their perspective on the recent shake ups in Hero society

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Anybody that's not Bakugou that does a cool pose at the end of a chapter will lose in the next so I'm already prepared

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Okay Bakugo.

1. Mirio
2. Bakugo.

Art looked great but was a liiiiil bit hard to follow.

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, this is what I wanted to see in this chapter Bakugo dominating and showing off his teamwork skills. Poor class B did not stand a chance. I can't wait to see Monoma and Shinso performances in the next round.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lol Shinso and Todoroki were both talking shit at the Sports Festival, one got a standing ovation, attention from pros and a chance to realize his dream, the other was saved from being as hateful as his father.

Pfft, they weren't nearly as much of a douche as Monoma!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well i got annoyed with people saying "look at this development" almost every chapter he appears and went back and reflected what development he got in the series.
I will do a similar thing with ochako like I promised but I will wait her battle.
After Ochako I dunno. Maybe Momo and Todoroki? They are the only 2 students other than deku that have clear arcs right now

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugo needed the W. He hasn't had a real moment to shine since the Sports Festival, and every time since being admitted into UA, a win for him has been in the form of a Pyrrhic victory.

This is the first time he gets to win on his own terms, and he does so by being a team player.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugo needed the W. He hasn't had a real moment to shine since the Sports Festival, and every time since being admitted into UA, a win for him has been in the form of a Pyrrhic victory.

This is the first time he gets to win on his own terms, and he does so by being a team player.
Against Deku it wasn't a pyrrhic victory at all. Also saying that needed the W don't excuse the way he got the W, it could be much better worked than what we got

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017

Was beating deku not a W?

Status
Not open for further replies.