• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flame Flamey

Feb 8, 2018
After sleeping on it, for me I feel it's one of those instances where words speak louder than actions, Bakugo's still the same abrasive jerk he's always been in, and whatever teamwork he's doing still involves calling his teammates losers. I guess that's Bakugo, if he ever decided to bake cookie for everyone, he'd do it by insulting everyone and stuffing their faces with them. And they'd say it'd be worth it because the cookies are really good

Maybe one day his mouth will settle down, but I doubt it lol

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh, Gentle and that little girl. I don't know about this one fam.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh, Gentle and that little girl. I don't know about this one fam.

Any minute now

tenya_speed_by_trident346-dbn1ijp.gif

MrCinos

Oct 26, 2017
Match 2 sucked because Tokoyami deserved better than that, and mushroom hax is stupid.

Real talk, unless you've phasing powers, how do you win vs a team with Komori (Mushroom girl) supported by any kind of decent team? Even knowing her quirk you can't really predict that choking from a distance move.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
Finally a chapter I felt had good pacing and was exciting to read. On top of showing character development.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Against Deku it wasn't a pyrrhic victory at all.
I'd argue it was, or at the very least was a completely perfunctory one, primarily because at that point he still hadn't gotten over his own perceived inferiority. He didn't feel any better for winning, nor did he believe he should have actually won that battle. It makes sense - being better at Deku in terms of raw fisticuffs was never his actual concern, as much as it was the elements of Deku that enabled him to become a potentially better hero. His dissatisfaction at beating Deku proved that punching him down was clearly not the answer he was looking for. The victory here on the other hand shows how much he's applied himself, even if it's in his own Bakugo kind of way.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, brainfart, either way she is in her 20's
I'd argue it was, or at the very least was a completely perfunctory one, primarily because at that point he still hadn't gotten over his own perceived inferiority. He didn't feel any better for winning, nor did he believe he should have actually won that battle. It makes sense - being better at Deku in terms of raw fisticuffs was never his actual concern, as much as it was the elements of Deku that enabled him to become a potentially better hero. His dissatisfaction at beating Deku proved that punching him down was clearly not the answer he was looking for. The victory here on the other hand shows how much he's applied himself, even if it's in his own Bakugo kind of way.
By your definition Deku almost never had a W then, he is always dissatisfacted with his wins, and even worse than bakugo a lot of his wins involve he getting serious permanent damage. Same with Todoroki

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Real talk, unless you've phasing powers, how do you win vs a team with Komori (Mushroom girl) supported by any kind of decent team? Even knowing her quirk you can't really predict that choking from a distance move.
You'd basically just have to catch her team off guard, and KO her ASAP before she could choke anyone out.

Alternatively, her Quirk operates by spreading spores, right? Yaoyarozu could have given everyone gas masks so that they could avoid having to breath in Komori's spores. Horikoshi just didn't go with that because he needed a convenient way to make Class A take an L for that match.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
You'd basically just have to catch her team off guard, and KO her ASAP before she could choke anyone out.

Alternatively, her Quirk operates by spreading spores, right? Yaoyarozu could have given everyone gas masks so that they could avoid having to breath in Komori's spores. Horikoshi just didn't go with that because he needed a convenient way to make Class A take an L for that match.
Nothing stops her from using a poisonous shroom in someone's skin

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
By your definition Deku almost never had a W then, he is always dissatisfacted with his wins, and even worse than bakugo a lot of his wins involve he getting serious permanent damage. Same with Todoroki

This comparison doesn't really work with me because Deku treats a loss way differently than Bakugo does. Deku is used to losing, it's practically in his code. That said, every loss he's procured is usually appended with a major development, meaning he takes things in his stride. To use an MCU analogy here, he's like Captain America in that he knows what it's like to be at the very bottom, which is why he respects the power he has and the improvements he's made along the way. All of his victories are a learning experience to him, and losing isn't as much of a big deal to him, which is exemplified by the fact that the Deku who fought Gentle is clearly on a whole other league than the one that fumbled his way through the Sports Festival.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Wait there are spores that eat plastic? If TLOU wasn't enough to make me fear mushrooms this will

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Dope chapter was dope! I agree with that "no plan survives contact with the enemy" quote somebody posted - Bakugou demonstrated some smart strategic thinking by hewing more to a single tactical principle (maintain the momentum) rather than trying to execute a complex plan. Dude's personality is still... well, very Bakugou, but he's grown enormously as a person under that. Good stuff. Damn shame it came at Tokage's expense, though. At least Jiro had a shine moment.

Hoping for Good Stuff from Mina and Ochako. I think there's a decent chance class A is the one with the complex scheme in the final match. Monoma doesn't strike me as a "planner," and unlike the other fights, class B is going to have a bit of a cohesion disadvantage (though Shinso's quirk does a lot to level the playing field there). And of course, Deku's constantly theorycrafting shit. Curious to see what he comes up with.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the weakest fight this arc. It might actually be one of the worst fights in a while actually. The action itself was just kind of whatever, but generally the fights in this arc are enjoyable because they're an opportunity for other underutilized characters to shine and/or to see Class B's quirks in action for the first time, but because Class B's team is taken out so quickly that isn't the case and they come out looking really pathetic. The Class A team also comes out not really looking great because Jiro, Sero, and Satou were just following Bakugou and didn't do anything on their own. This entire fight just exists to serve as character development for Bakugou and nobody else, which would be fine but it's really lame character development. The fight starts and Bakugou immediately takes charge with his plan and doesn't listen to anybody else, charges into danger and tells the rest of his team to cover for him and that's supposed to be his big character moment to show that he's nicer and they win for some reason because I guess the other team just wasn't doing teamwork as good even though they appeared way more organized and cooperative and had a more thought out plan of attack.

As someone who likes Bakugou even I find myself rolling my eyes at this a little. Like I was expecting the fight to go that Bakugou was willing to cooperate more but would struggle to connect with the team or that the rest of the team wouldn't trust Bakugou leader because he hasn't proven himself as a leader yet and so they'd fail and it'd be a learning moment for Bakugou that you can't just will teamwork, it requires time and effort. But no, Bakugou just wills that the team works flawlessly and so it does and everyone loudly talks about how great Bakugou is and how great he is at teamwork, not the rest of his team though, just him. Really really lame fight.

Flow

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida, USA
I feel like Hori spent so much time on how Endeavor being a giant asshole despite working well with other heroes in a support role was detrimental to him and his growth and then to go right back to Bakugo doing the same thing is just bad writing. I get it, he's the primary rival, but he's so one note and every time you think "oh wow maybe" he goes right back to being the same. Sure, he's changed somewhat in that he doesn't immediately just punch his teammates and go do whatever by himself, but that's not enough of a change to A) dedicate the entire two chapters and panel spread for and B) doesn't tell us anything new about his character or the characters around him and how they interact.

If anything this just re-affirms that he needs to mellow the fuck out.
co-signed

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
Bakugo's team was very well rounded overall. Probably the most well rounded of any of the teams so far. Bakugo and Sato are both power types, though both specializing in different aspects of that, with Bakugo being fast and having explosions, while Sato in theory would be like a discount Deku and can handle heavy lifting and grappling which Bakugo can't. Sero and Jirou are both good for versatility with Sero having good abilities for both neutralizing and movement and Jirou for detection and additional AoE offense. Setsuna had a versatile quirk but her team was more about neutralizing and didn't really have much power, outside of maybe Kamakiri, but he's got a power like Ashido where he can't really use it its full extent against people.

Honestly while I guess I would have preferred something more drawn out, rather than a steam rolling, and especially would have liked to seen more from Setsuna and Sato, its probably for the best that at least one of these fights went by quick.

Still kind of wonder what makes someone worth being "recommended" though. Setsuna has a good quirk (even if its not that powerful from an offense standpoint) but if the speculation on Yui is true, then she's got pretty much a double quirk like Todoroki has, but she's just a regular student.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Still kind of wonder what makes someone worth being "recommended" though. Setsuna has a good quirk (even if its not that powerful from an offense standpoint) but if the speculation on Yui is true, then she's got pretty much a double quirk like Todoroki has, but she's just a regular student.
Momo and Todoroki are recommended and from those we can infer that it's probably due to connections. Todoroki's father was the #2 when it came time to enroll and also an alumni. Momo's only known to be rich but her family probably has connections as well.

The recommended students aren't necessarily better than all the others or have the stronger quirks. They just tend to be better than the average.

Edit: Scouting might play a role too. Either way, it's gotta involve people trusted by UA

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like recommendations are mor about who you know than raw potential or scouting, yeah. Todoroki (and Inasa, who was up for a slot) is crazy strong, but the other three are more technicians than outright powerhouses, and we know that Todo and Momo are both from prominent/rich families. It's hard to say without knowing the exact circumstances of the others, but it certainly feels more like a networking thing than anything else. Obviously they still have to pass some exams and prove they're worth it, though.

If it was scouting, you'd probably see Bakugou and Tokoyami as recommended students - people with really clear power advantages.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I think the issue is that Bakugo isn't really meant to struggle when it comes to combat skills. It's been said before but he's got a natural instinct when it comes to those things, and we've seen him again and again prove that he's leagues above his peers when it comes down to combat ability. Even if Shoto were to use his flames on him, Bakugo could indefinitely stay in the air with his explosions and the heat would only make him sweat more, allowing for more powerful explosions. Consider Shoto's lack of experience with his flames too and I've little doubt Bakugo would have the match even if Shoto went all out. Then again, he could just do that rapid temperature compression thing to blast Bakugo away...

Still, I get what NSESN is saying about how unsatisfying and disappointing it is to see the character no longer struggle after Deku vs. Kacchan 2. I understand why that would be disappointing for others, but I guess I'm just looking at it in a more positive (and almost definitely at least slightly biased) way. Since the aforementioned fight, Bakugo has shown up three times: the remedial lessons arc, the cultural festival, and now the joint training exercise arc. I do not see the point in having him struggle in any of those. We saw him show some interpersonal growth in the first, some very subtle one with the second, and now his combat ability with the third. To me, Bakugo struggling in combat would have been uncharacteristic of him. Even against Shoto, he did very well and easily beat him. He could keep up against the League of Villains trying to recapture him during the Kamino incident, and even then he was just playing keep away and barely fighting back. What we needed to see was for him to show growth in terms of teamwork, and stifling that after all this time having his team make mistakes would have been a little disappointing for me. It would have felt like: Let's progress this character and develop him BUT wait let's also still hold him back and show that he still can't properly work with others.

Yes, it's disappointing that Tokage and her team got shafted as a result, and this match became a totally one-sided massacre, but... it works. It makes sense given the context. Deku and Shoto still struggling with their anxiety and father issues, respectively, are appropriate because that's how those things work. Anxiety does not just go away, and it's very likely that Deku will still be anxious and nervous (but much more confident as a whole) in the future once he's a pro hero. Shoto's issues with his father is something that will take a lot of time to resolve and it's great that Horikoshi is able to tackle this sensitive topic really well. Bakugo has always been a genius in combat and strategy. We were shown that repeatedly during the sports festival, and now having overcome or at least learned his lesson about teamwork and saving others, his instinctual ability to fight and win are, in a way, being spread with the rest of his team. I like to think of it as an extension of how Bakugo and Deku are able to inspire their classmates and spur them into action.

The match could have been done better, that's true. I wish it was at least a chapter longer to at least show 1-B being able to fight back some more while still getting stomped. Similarly, I would have preferred it as well if Sero, Sato, and Jiro were able to do more. Especially the former two.
Truly you tested my love for the character!
It'll be interesting to see how his quirk's growth is balanced across the two quirks. Licenses should be obtained soon right? I lose track of when things happen in relation to others but I feel like they should get their licenses soon since the exam was right after the summer and now the weather is starting to get cold and they're in their winter uniforms.
Actually, I think it's gonna take a while before they can get their licenses? The makeup exam itself will be in April, if I recall correctly, and it's still December. Or November? It'll probably take us two real-world years to get there... Maybe. I hope not.
One day brother! Momo will shine in the sun. Also, holy shit that artist is really good.

Deidara and Kisame were hardcore, best of the Akatsuki
Oh yeah, man, Kisame was awesome. Definitely one of the best for me as well. His final fight with Guy was one of my favorites.
I'm curious what their final exam could be. Maybe a 1v1 against a teacher? Or old reformed villains maybe, that could be cool
Hmm. Gentle, perhaps? Maybe that's how they'll put him to use... which would be nice because it would allow him to contribute in the molding of future heroes-to-be, which sort of lines up with his past goal of wanting to be a hero.
Final Exam??? How about...3 students against...a Pro Hero who graduated UA in the year right before those students entered and then...the Hero has small bells and...the students have to grab a bell to pass the test and advance to 2nd year. But then, crazy twist, there are only two bells!!!
I'm a genius.
Jokes aside, it would be cool if we got to see the previous Big Three (if there were any) in the final exam!
I don't want Deku to win because Shinso was robbed during the Sports Festival and Copy is too cool of a power for Monoma to get chumped after all his talk.
Okay, can somebody explain to me why people say Shinso was robbed? Is it because the vestiges helped Deku out? It's true that he would've won if not for that, but he'd have lost all the matches afterwards for sure.
From what we know, it seems to be based on connection. How you get that connection varies, but it's implied that that is at least partly due to their ability. I'm curious as to the connections that got Honenuki, Inasa, and Tokage recommended... For some reason, I think possibly because of the bug and flashback as a whole, I get the impression that Inasa isn't exactly rich. Possibly from a middle-class family. Maybe a pro hero recognized his abilities and recommended him, or they have a pro hero family friend or something.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I think the issue is that Bakugo isn't really meant to struggle when it comes to combat skills. It's been said before but he's got a natural instinct when it comes to those things, and we've seen him again and again prove that he's leagues above his peers when it comes down to combat ability. Even if Shoto were to use his flames on him, Bakugo could indefinitely stay in the air with his explosions and the heat would only make him sweat more, allowing for more powerful explosions. Consider Shoto's lack of experience with his flames too and I've little doubt Bakugo would have the match even if Shoto went all out. Then again, he could just do that rapid temperature compression thing to blast Bakugo away...

Still, I get what NSESN is saying about how unsatisfying and disappointing it is to see the character no longer struggle after Deku vs. Kacchan 2. I understand why that would be disappointing for others, but I guess I'm just looking at it in a more positive (and almost definitely at least slightly biased) way. Since the aforementioned fight, Bakugo has shown up three times: the remedial lessons arc, the cultural festival, and now the joint training exercise arc. I do not see the point in having him struggle in any of those. We saw him show some interpersonal growth in the first, some very subtle one with the second, and now his combat ability with the third. To me, Bakugo struggling in combat would have been uncharacteristic of him. Even against Shoto, he did very well and easily beat him. He could keep up against the League of Villains trying to recapture him during the Kamino incident, and even then he was just playing keep away and barely fighting back. What we needed to see was for him to show growth in terms of teamwork, and stifling that after all this time having his team make mistakes would have been a little disappointing for me. It would have felt like: Let's progress this character and develop him BUT wait let's also still hold him back and show that he still can't properly work with others.

Yes, it's disappointing that Tokage and her team got shafted as a result, and this match became a totally one-sided massacre, but... it works. It makes sense given the context. Deku and Shoto still struggling with their anxiety and father issues, respectively, are appropriate because that's how those things work. Anxiety does not just go away, and it's very likely that Deku will still be anxious and nervous (but much more confident as a whole) in the future once he's a pro hero. Shoto's issues with his father is something that will take a lot of time to resolve and it's great that Horikoshi is able to tackle this sensitive topic really well. Bakugo has always been a genius in combat and strategy. We were shown that repeatedly during the sports festival, and now having overcome or at least learned his lesson about teamwork and saving others, his instinctual ability to fight and win are, in a way, being spread with the rest of his team. I like to think of it as an extension of how Bakugo and Deku are able to inspire their classmates and spur them into action.

The match could have been done better, that's true. I wish it was at least a chapter longer to at least show 1-B being able to fight back some more while still getting stomped. Similarly, I would have preferred it as well if Sero, Sato, and Jiro were able to do more. Especially the former two.

Oh yeah, man, Kisame was awesome. Definitely one of the best for me as well. His final fight with Guy was one of my favorites.

Hmm. Gentle, perhaps? Maybe that's how they'll put him to use... which would be nice because it would allow him to contribute in the molding of future heroes-to-be, which sort of lines up with his past goal of wanting to be a hero.

Well said in respect to Bakugo and this past match in general. It's funny, even though Tokage's team lost and I don't like her quirk at all I quite like her. She seems self assured and assertive, which is nice. I do think there should come a time where Bakugo fights someone who is just flat out better. Almost like a Goku/Vegeta situation, just because I think it'd be extremely interesting to see how he reacts to that post Deku round 2.

Kisame versus Guy was great. Those sharks man...And yeah, that'd be an excellent way to reintroduce Gentle and I hope that happens.

Also, apologies if I missed it but did you just become a moderator? Congrats! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Represent for the MHA fam brother

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Probably the weakest fight this arc. It might actually be one of the worst fights in a while actually. The action itself was just kind of whatever, but generally the fights in this arc are enjoyable because they're an opportunity for other underutilized characters to shine and/or to see Class B's quirks in action for the first time, but because Class B's team is taken out so quickly that isn't the case and they come out looking really pathetic. The Class A team also comes out not really looking great because Jiro, Sero, and Satou were just following Bakugou and didn't do anything on their own. This entire fight just exists to serve as character development for Bakugou and nobody else, which would be fine but it's really lame character development. The fight starts and Bakugou immediately takes charge with his plan and doesn't listen to anybody else, charges into danger and tells the rest of his team to cover for him and that's supposed to be his big character moment to show that he's nicer and they win for some reason because I guess the other team just wasn't doing teamwork as good even though they appeared way more organized and cooperative and had a more thought out plan of attack.

As someone who likes Bakugou even I find myself rolling my eyes at this a little. Like I was expecting the fight to go that Bakugou was willing to cooperate more but would struggle to connect with the team or that the rest of the team wouldn't trust Bakugou leader because he hasn't proven himself as a leader yet and so they'd fail and it'd be a learning moment for Bakugou that you can't just will teamwork, it requires time and effort. But no, Bakugou just wills that the team works flawlessly and so it does and everyone loudly talks about how great Bakugou is and how great he is at teamwork, not the rest of his team though, just him. Really really lame fight.

Same. The struggle is gone. With no struggle, he's the Sasuke.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
If Bakugo loses, it has to be a important narrative event though. Winning and emerging victorious is that integral to the way he sees himself.

If we're gonna see Bakugo just straight up lose in a 1 v 1, I'd like it to be against a villain. That or a sports festival Grand Finals against Deku.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't go as far as to say Bakugo is struggle free. They underestimated Bakugo in a combat exercise, not the greatest idea. He still has a lot of stuff internally to get through, and that's better saved for future arcs

I don't need to see him lose per se. I'd just like there to be some tension. At no point did I believe the fight would go anyway other than the way it went. Set 4 was two chapters and done. Set 3 was five. Set 2 was six I think?

Set 4 was a gimme. Not sure Horokoshi has anything to really say about Bakugo at the moment, and it's clear that his team members were chosen for the same reason, as they also lacked the insightful moments of the previous sets. So I think that was intentional, but it's disappointing. There was some forward movement, but it wasn't a big one.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, can somebody explain to me why people say Shinso was robbed? Is it because the vestiges helped Deku out? It's true that he would've won if not for that, but he'd have lost all the matches afterwards for sure.

I know it seems silly but yeah it is that for me. I remember watching the episode and being mad about it. I honestly think I would've been less annoyed if Deku didn't get caught in the first place because it was stupidly avoidable.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I don't need to see him lose per se. I'd just like there to be some tension. At no point did I believe the fight would go anyway other than the way it went. Set 4 was two chapters and done. Set 3 was five. Set 2 was six I think?

Set 4 was a gimme. Not sure Horokoshi has anything to really say about Bakugo at the moment, and it's clear that his team members were chosen for the same reason, as they also lacked the insightful moments of the previous sets. So I think that was intentional, but it's disappointing. There was some forward movement, but it wasn't a big one.

I hear what you're saying up to a point, and I think everyone expected Bakugo to win, but I think it's a mistake to say there was no tension. Whether or not it was effective is definitely up for debate but Tokage and her team were a threat for sure, it's just that Bakugo has been building up to a moment like this for a while.

You're second half kinda feels like reaching. Those sets had what, 10-12 pages a chapter? They were longer because the chapters were shorter. Kohei could've also rushed this fight because he's been on this arc a month longer than he should have, we really don't know.

As far as the insightful moments go, I disagree unless you're talking about the post fight talk. Which could happen next chapter(plus we still need team 3 iirc to get a talking to from Aizawa as well)

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
You're second half kinda feels like reaching. Those sets had what, 10-12 pages a chapter? They were longer because the chapters were shorter. Kohei could've also rushed this fight because he's been on this arc a month longer than he should have, we really don't know.

Not really.

Set 4
208 - 15 Pages
207 - 13 Pages

Set 3
206 - 15 Pages
205 - 15 Pages
204 - 15 Pages
203 - 13 Pages
202 - 11 Pages

As far as the insightful moments go, I disagree unless you're talking about the post fight talk. Which could happen next chapter(plus we still need team 3 iirc to get a talking to from Aizawa as well)

If it fits with the previous, any extra talk will be around half of the next chapter. Sero and Sato got nothing. Jiro got a new use of her power that was blink and you'll miss it. Nah, we're pretty low on insight. It's a beautiful chapter overall and in the grand stretch, it'll be fine.

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Not really.

Set 4
208 - 15 Pages
207 - 13 Pages

Set 3
206 - 15 Pages
205 - 15 Pages
204 - 15 Pages
203 - 13 Pages
202 - 11 Pages

If it fits with the previous, any extra talk will be around half of the next chapter. Sero and Sato got nothing. Jiro got a new use of her power that was blink and you'll miss it. Nah, we're pretty low on insight.

Set 3's fight starts halfway through chapter 202 and even then doesn't really start until 203, but ok I guess. Set 3 also has double focus, Kohei split the time between Todoroki and Iida, who apparently is still a main character. No offense to any of Bakugo's team cause I love them, but they are extras in that sense.

We have always gotten bits and pieces of the ancillary 1-A characters' lives compared to some of the other students, and bringing those three up when they were also 1-A students from other sets who get the same treatment(Aoyama, Koda) seems weird. Especially when this is the only team on 1-A's side that acted like a team the whole way through.

Not everyone gets a moment, yeah. The story significance isn't equal, but it is what it is.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Would have expected Jiro at least to get some internal focus because of the culture festival

Status
Not open for further replies.