• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more referring to you unironically trying to spin a positive out of that
I am not spinning a positive, it just what it is, the set up for her character arc has been happening since after her fight after Bakugo, sure it didn't start but Kirishima character arc also took until the Overhaul arc to happen despite it being set up since the first chapters

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
At least she has the potential of a character arc compared to Bakugo
How do you define "Character arc" and what more, in regards to that, is it that you actually want out of Bakugo? Because I don't see how Ochaco is in a better position than Bakugo now (for me it seems like she's gotta catch up) character-wise so I don't quite get it.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I am not spinning a positive, it just what it is, the set up for her character arc has been happening since after her fight after Bakugo, sure it didn't start but Kirishima character arc also took until the Overhaul arc to happen despite it being set up since the first chapters
How do you define "Character arc" and what more, in regards to that, is it that you actually want out of Bakugo? Because I don't see how Ochaco is in a better position than Bakugo now (for me it seems like she's gotta catch up) character-wise so I don't quite get it.
In terms of character arcs bakugo goes from person who looked down on others to mask his insecurities, who build himself up as best thing ever and grew hatred towards Izuku because saw him as a inferior being that was trying to be on the same level as him, and right now he has changed to become someone who doesn't look down on others, holds some sort of respect towards Izuku, trust his teammates enough to rescue him which is something the old bakugo would have never done, and most importantly he's grown enough to accept his flaws, he no longer says he is the greatest but that he will become the greatest.

If we look at Ochako she was presented as someone who wanted to be a hero to help out her family, she was then shown to have a crush on Deku, and then she decided to bottle up those feelings(which she's doing a bad job at) to focus on her career, in the Yakuza arc she said she wants to save people now but that line felt thrown in because there wasn't that much focus on her that arc.

From what I've seen Ochako hasn't had enough to even compare to bakugo, she's only had 2 developments, one that can be seen as a negative and the other being a throw away line

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Simple, there is so much more than you can do with ochako

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of character arcs bakugo goes from person who looked down on others to mask his insecurities, who build himself up as best thing ever and grew hatred towards Izuku because saw him as a inferior being that was trying to be on the same level as him, and right now he has changed to become someone who doesn't look down on others, holds some sort of respect towards Izuku, trust his teammates enough to rescue him which is something the old bakugo would have never done, and most importantly he's grown enough to accept his flaws, he no longer says he is the greatest but that he will become the greatest.

If we look at Ochako she was presented as someone who wanted to be a hero to help out her family, she was then shown to have a crush on Deku, and then she decided to bottle up those feelings(which she's doing a bad job at) to focus on her career, in the Yakuza arc she said she wants to save people now but that line felt thrown in because there wasn't that much focus on her that arc.

From what I've seen Ochako hasn't had enough to even compare to bakugo, she's only had 2 developments, one that can be seen as a negative and the other being a throw away line
Yeah this is basically why I was confused.
Simple, there is so much more than you can do with ochako
You didn't actually answer my question but whatever.

There being more to be done with Ochaco doesn't really come as a positive to or something that means in this story she's in a better position than Bakugo. There's more to be done with her not out of the potential set by her character but just by virtue of Bakugo being a character who's potential has been satisfyingly delivered on already, if not yet in full than at least to a significant degree. We could say there's more to be done with any random character than with Bakugo but that doesn't necessarily reflect positively on them. Like I said, it just comes off as her needing to catch up.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif
Ohh. I finally get this reference. I fucking love it. Joseph! Was literally just talking to my brother about Joseph in Part 2 a little while ago.

And yes, that's right. I went back to the old thread in search of my masterpieces essays now that we've got the bookmark feature.

Reading through some of it, though... makes me wanna right another one. Purely in good will this time, of course. Just for fun, to express my love for them. After all, Horikoshi has given us plenty to eat recently. Mmm, chapters 198 to 201. Oh, and the movie! Oh bless that wonderful movie.
Well this arc has been good with Iida, Todoroki, Momo and Tokoyami development, and also had Tsuyu showing a lot of skil.
Don't forget Shoji!! But yes, I'm very satisfied with all the showings these characters have had, including the aforementioned secret best character and Ojiro. You're right about Tsuyu too of course, and that dropkick and the camouflage will always be some of my favorite moments in the entire arc but she's still a boring character for me... At least she's adorable and kicks ass. Somewhat related: we might get translations for her costume page from Audrey soon!
I don't see him having any other type of struggle in the near future with the way Horikoshi directioned his character
I have to agree. I can't imagine anything at the moment, so I hope we're wrong and Horikoshi will give us some better writing for Bakugo's side of the story fairly soon. I think what we'll be getting soon (or whenever the next Bakugo stuff will be) will be about One For All, though, so that's at least exciting with regards to the main story and its history.

WHAT A MAD BANQUET OF DARKNESS.

Hilarious (evil?) Tokoyami sketch aside, Shoto and Uraraka are looking awesome in their Christmas outfits!
1974702553.jpg

My Hero Academia Volume 16: Red Riot is out today in English.
Please support the official release!

Absolutely love this cover. One of my favorite depictions of one of my favorite characters (and seeing that "Red Riot" is the volume title gave me chills). You just know this kid man can't give up! Suneater and Fat Gum look great as well. Also I only noticed today that they don't slap a big fat number on the volume covers, just a small one in the top left lol. Looking forward to reading this again, love these fights to death. The Fat Gum Agency fucking showed up in that arc!
Oh damn! Went to the bookstore in search of Black Torch vol. 1 today (got it! <3) but also browsed the MHA books. Didn't see this one yet. I hope it'll arrive soon! Me needs my hands on that cover!

(but wow, I never noticed the lack of a number! I wonder if Horikoshi simply forgot or if he had a specific reason)
I agree in that currently, we can do a lot with Uraraka's desire to change and grow and steer away from her feelings for Deku. Lots of great stuff that I hope Horikoshi will be able to pull off well and give us a satisfying payoff. Given how well he handled Endeavor's story so far, others might be inclined to have more faith, but with how Horikoshi's handled most of his female characters so far, I'm being cautious.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Kansoku your banner worked miraculously well on mobile despite mobile pages being unable to show the full width of banners, haha. It cuts off really nicely and puts Deku to the right edge while keeping the MHA logo in the middle and empty space to the left. Awesome coincidence!
Been curious about that one. I'll probably pick it up once all the volumes are released since it's pretty short.
Oh, so you knew, huh? I only just found out earlier that it's been cancelled... I'm fucking gutted, man. I really liked it when I read the first chapter or two back then, but rereading that first chapter tonight got me really excited for the story and art (good god do I love it) only to find out it's been cancelled already... *sighs* At least I won't have to spend too much on it. I wish I could, though, lol.
I think there's only the top left thing maybe to emulate American comics.
I just checked my copies. None of them have a big volume number on them, haha. We're remembering the Japanese covers, I guess. Fun way for VIZ to number the books then. Love the nod.

I only just realized you were referring to the volumes as a whole and not just this one. I feel silly now.

FallenChief

Oct 27, 2017
Hello again!!! Posted once on old ResetEra but got no replies in this thread. So with the advent of ResetEra 2.0 I would try posting here once more.

My Hero Academia is one of the best manga I ever read. I love its characters and their development, the art style and the fast pace. Though the current arc is a bit boring....coming off of the EPIC Endeavour fight!!!!! But with the much anticipated Deku fight this week, I can't help but speculate what is gonna happen now....

In my head canon, the original One for All user and brother of All for One is a suspicious person.... All we know about him is what was passed down to its holders. It is very well possible that they were all fed a lie. And during the sports festival, when Deku defeated Shinso, the finger moved on its own. I thought that the spirit or something of the brother is capable of taking control of the holder's body and he is probably getting stronger with each passing of the quirk to another user.....So what I expect in this match is that Shinso once more tricks Deku and One for All goes berserk!!!!! Like all the teachers have to step in to put a stop to its rampage.

Feel free to poke holes in this RIDICULOUS theory of mine:) Looking forward to interacting with you guys.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Dude, stop. Stooooop. You don't need to shit on Bakugo to make some point about Uraraka. Kohei just hasn't cared lately.
Hello again!!! Posted once on old ResetEra but got no replies in this thread. So with the advent of ResetEra 2.0 I would try posting here once more.

My Hero Academia is one of the best manga I ever read. I love its characters and their development, the art style and the fast pace. Though the current arc is a bit boring....coming off of the EPIC Endeavour fight!!!!! But with the much anticipated Deku fight this week, I can't help but speculate what is gonna happen now....

In my head canon, the original One for All user and brother of All for One is a suspicious person.... All we know about him is what was passed down to its holders. It is very well possible that they were all fed a lie. And during the sports festival, when Deku defeated Shinso, the finger moved on its own. I thought that the spirit or something of the brother is capable of taking control of the holder's body and he is probably getting stronger with each passing of the quirk to another user.....So what I expect in this match is that Shinso once more tricks Deku and One for All goes berserk!!!!! Like all the teachers have to step in to put a stop to its rampage.

Feel free to poke holes in this RIDICULOUS theory of mine:) Looking forward to interacting with you guys.

Welcome! I don't think the little brother is secretly evil, but stranger things have happened. Keep the theories coming

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Temporary avatar for Christmas season! I do like it a lot, though... Hmm.

Hello and welcome! Glad to see a new poster who's super enthusiastic about the series! <3 The Endeavor/High-End fight is easily one of my favorites in the entire series. I love how creative Horikoshi got with the entire fight, using Endeavor's new suit to create additional thrust for his Jet Burn attack, weaving a web of Hellflame to slice apart an entire building, Prominence Burn, and then finally having Hawks sacrifice some of his feathers in order to help Endeavor defeat High-End. So many amazing moments. Speaking of which, Hawks' admiration for Endeavor is one of my favorite things in the series.

Shame you find the current arc a bit boring. I'm enjoying it a lot, but the short page count and that one break week does hurt my enjoyment of it a tiny bit. I'm excited as ever for every new chapter.

Holy shit. This is... wow. I love it. I kind of want it to be true? Damn, this would be so interesting! I was just wondering some time ago about how the first wielder even discovered the ability to pass it on, and that it needs his DNA. If he accidentally spit on someone and passed it on to them, that makes sense. Dumb, but reasonable explanation for its discovery. That's impossible though, since OFA can only be consciously passed on, as willed by its user. That means the original wielder specifically had it in his mind to pass it on. Somehow he knew about it.

Although it is possible that he just hoped to pass it and managed to do so without knowing...

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, so you knew, huh? I only just found out earlier that it's been cancelled... I'm fucking gutted, man. I really liked it when I read the first chapter or two back then, but rereading that first chapter tonight got me really excited for the story and art (good god do I love it) only to find out it's been cancelled already... *sighs* At least I won't have to spend too much on it. I wish I could, though, lol.
Yeah I felt weird when I found out it was cancelled too. But as you said, at least we won't spend too much on it.
Welcome! I love your avatar!
My Hero Academia is one of the best manga I ever read.
Same
I don't expect this to be true but there's certainly more to learn about the first user.
Looking forward to interacting with you guys.
Same!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, stop. Stooooop. You don't need to shit on Bakugo to make some point about Uraraka. Kohei just hasn't cared lately.
It isn't shitthing on Bakugo, it is just like some don't like the direction Uraraka went after her fight in the sports festival, I didn't like the direction his character went after his fight with Deku. Also I have been vouching for Uraraka potential way before disliking what is happening with Bakugo

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I really wanted to post this again earlier today but didn't want to double post but now I can!!!
tumblr_p6tpgrOWcQ1vtm42eo1_540.gif

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

The only animated thing more hype than this from 2018 for me is the end of Two Heroes lol
------------------------------
Just got done reading Volume 16 and had a lot of fun. With both of the Fatgum Squad fights, it'll probably end up being my favorite Volume from this arc at the end. Tamaki's fight does a really good job of making me root for him, along with further building up Mirio as this awesome guy with great hero potential, which his coming fight delivers on beautifully. Red Riot/Fat Gum vs Rappa/Tenga is as fun, heated, passionate and enjoyable as ever. I just love Kirishima more than ever and his flashback and display of determination are incredibly inspiring. I NEED Gigantomachia in 2019!!! I just do! And that flashback made me even more excited for the Mina's participation in the coming fight cause she really shone in the flashback.

Now I'm eagerly awaiting Vol. 17!!! (I swear one of my favorite inconsequential traditions is to open my calendar when I finish a volume for a series and mark the date for the next release)
That cover...
xnngg5pbqjs3.gif

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Btw in Volume 16 they describe a couple costumes like for many other volumes and for Mirio's costume, apparently it's based on a hero who inspired and saved Mirio when he was a child. That's pretty cool to think about in relation to this panel
PtwG0Ybm.jpg

And I like how so far, it's just a small element that's not even a big focus of the story but makes Mirio's character even cooler.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man he Bakugo thread is already delivering. Never thought the "Bakugo fans are abusive SOs/are into abusive SOs" thing could be topped but "Bakugo fans are Trump voters" is just as funny lmao.
(99% sure it's said as a joke which is why I find it funny)

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I would've made that thread the instant I saw it, but Era was displaying a maintenance for the last 2 days, until I decided to hit reload.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
The MHA threads that come up remind me of how Super Smash Brothers gets repped outside of it's generals.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Oh look the Bakugo thread is the same as every Bakugo thread maybe next month I can make a Bakugo and TLJ thread so I can create a revolutionary energy source from the how circular it is

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I always make Kacchan threads.
Like when he got land on the moon named after him.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Threads like that are interesting cause they're like case studies of just how vocal the "vocal minority" can get. I like many things that are divisive on Era and so such threads are interesting because of how, no matter how many clear signs there are of something being good/popular/well-received/insertpositive, you will still get a certain vibe in those threads that taken on their own can give you the impression something is widely disliked. It can vary significantly based on how immediately provocative, whether intentionally or not, the title and premise are and a thread about that reprehensible hated bully who can do no right being once again the most popular character...that's provocative, hence the negativity. Always find myself curious about such threads.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Another Bakugo thread? Sheesh. Are there any recent fictional characters that rile ERA users up so much like he does?
This still annoys me cause it still feels like this bit gets cut short. Still, one of the most hype moments in all of the OPs so far. Actually, probably the most. Oh shit, I just realized. OP6 or OP7 is most likely gonna have Lemillion vs. Overhaul or some bits of it. Hoooly shit. Greatness awaits.

Oct 25, 2017
Another Bakugo thread? Sheesh. Are there any recent fictional characters that rile ERA users up so much like he does?

This still annoys me cause it still feels like this bit gets cut short. Still, one of the most hype moments in all of the OPs so far. Actually, probably the most. Oh shit, I just realized. OP6 or OP7 is most likely gonna have Lemillion vs. Overhaul or some bits of it. Hoooly shit. Greatness awaits.
Gohan threads
Sasuke threads

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
But it was a positive one
Oh wait, really? I immediately assumed it was whining about him again, lol. Guess I should've checked it out first.
Gohan threads
Sasuke threads
I hope the former is only for when people are expressing sadness over how he's apparently being completely wasted and whatnot. Better to express disappointment than spending time and energy being mad at a character. Unless the expression of disappointment becomes equally excessive...

FallenChief

Oct 27, 2017
Hello and welcome! Glad to see a new poster who's super enthusiastic about the series! <3 The Endeavor/High-End fight is easily one of my favorites in the entire series. I love how creative Horikoshi got with the entire fight, using Endeavor's new suit to create additional thrust for his Jet Burn attack, weaving a web of Hellflame to slice apart an entire building, Prominence Burn, and then finally having Hawks sacrifice some of his feathers in order to help Endeavor defeat High-End. So many amazing moments. Speaking of which, Hawks' admiration for Endeavor is one of my favorite things in the series.
Same!!!!!! Two things I liked about this fight was that 1. Endeavour is amazing at One Liners. "Plus Ultra Prominence Burn", " Just watch me", and " Burn and rest for all eternity" are AMAZING and just ooze confidence. 2. And other was that the dude actually grew in both character as well as strength in this very fight. In all other fights in MHA, people usually grow stronger but Endeavour actually changed his attitude to many things like working together and using "Plus Ultra"... Probably second only to Todo vs Midoriya

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
One thing I've noticed about bakugo's development is that lately he's been referring to him and the class as "we" more often. It's pretty obvious, but I can't really remember him doing it to often before.
A recent example is his little pep-talk to the team from last chapter. There's another example from the culture festival that goes under appreciated though.
RxQxS8a.png

This statement is quite personal for him, and shows how he has come to appreciate the consequences that come from fighting and combat.
But by saying "we", he also acknowledges the trauma and experiences of all his other classmates as well.
I'd like to see more of this kinda stuff, and not so much "woah Kachan has changed" commentary.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Goddamn I just realized I got kicked out of this thread so I'm watching this thread again
Well at least you're watching it again.
My Watched Threads list only shows video-game related threads right now and refuses to show etcetera threads (like this one and Soma, and Neverland, and...)
Unwatching/Rewatching doesn't change anything.
And as a bonus, since today threads it doesn't even show newly watched video games threads, yay.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well at least you're watching it again.
My Watched Threads list only shows video-game related threads right now and refuses to show etcetera threads (like this one and Soma, and Neverland, and...)
Unwatching/Rewatching doesn't change anything.
And as a bonus, since today threads it doesn't even show newly watched video games threads, yay.
Damn that's weird. I've had many problems with the new site but nothing with Watched list.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Damn that's weird. I've had many problems with the new site but nothing with Watched list.
Outside of the speed/stability after the update all the problem's I've had are with the watched list, haha. (I'm not the only with that specific problem as well).
I did report it in the bugs thread already, so hopefully it gets taken care of soon, but in the meantime using the site is quite annoying.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The pseudo-psychoanalysis of Bakugo fans just reached yet another level in that poll thread right now. Damn.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
I guess it's easier to pick out the hyperbolic and exaggerated, but there is (and has been) legitimate criticism of his character and role in the story―especially as of late.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess it's easier to pick out the hyperbolic and exaggerated, but there is (and has been) legitimate criticism of his character and role in the story―especially as of late.
Maybe. And I don't dispute that there are interesting views to be had on disliking Bakugo, as with any other character, and I've seen such in this thread multiple times in the past. It's why for the most part I enjoy discussing Bakugo here, whether it be with people who like him, dislike him or anything in between.

But if such are present in that thread then lord knows they're buried under the "Bakugo fans are x type of terrible human", "I objectively declare them to have shit taste" and "yeah the show said X but whatever idgaf".

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Maybe. And I don't dispute that there are interesting views to be had on disliking Bakugo, as with any other character, and I've seen such in this thread multiple times in the past. It's why for the most part I enjoy discussing Bakugo here, whether it be with people who like him, dislike him or anything in between.

But if such are present in that thread then lord knows they're buried under the "Bakugo fans are x type of terrible human", "I objectively declare them to have shit taste" and "yeah the show said X but whatever idgaf".
Yeah. Really no point in addressing those who are never willing to change their minds, no matter what happens with the character or the story.

fieldafar

Jan 23, 2018
Melbourne, Australia
I don't dislike Bakugo, but I can see why he's such a controversial character. But denying his popularity is silly, when I watched the movie his first appearance got the loudest cheers in the cinema.

I'm getting this problem as well, so at least it's not just me. This thread is technically still being watched so looks like it's just a small bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.