• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I was only making a joke, mainly on how it's common for big CEO types in real life to get away with crime
I know

The big CEOs also tend to be well connected like Kid Destro

Though to be honest I'm sure no would murder their assistant who people saw in their own office. That was just shonen nonsense lol

Dec 28, 2018
Well any hopes I had of Hawks fighting alongside the LOV are all but dashed now, well it should still be an entertaining brawl even without Hawks. And I'm kinda now leaning towards this arc being on the longer side than before, were on the seventh chapter and I can't imagine this will be as long as the Pro Hero arc which was only ten chapters. Mainly because of the LOV having to fight their way through Deika City and then having to deal with the top members of the Liberation army, I can't imagine this arc will be ending soon. Unless Horikoshi for whatever reason rushes through it and has Giga show up in the next chapter. Speaking of Giga I assumed Shigaraki would use him but I didn't think he'd also do it to wear him down, that's pretty smart of him. And the Sliding hero was a part of the Liberation Army like some people predicted so that's neat. And I found it interesting that a few of the panels had a lot of emphasis on a camera. Wonder if Destro Jr is recording the LOV in order to make them more hated in Japan by making it look like there attacking innocent people or maybe it's nothing and I'm crazy. And it's cool to see Toga is going to be the one with the first big fight of the arc, not that I can say I'm really excited for it. Partly because I find lame that the sole female characters of each side are fighting against one another, and another reason is because I still don't entirely trust Horikoshi in regards to female characters and a part of me feels like he might just skip over the fight and only show the end results of it. Well regardless of my worries this was another good chapter. And next chapter should be interesting for Toga's past possibly being revealed and finding out if the Liberation army are worth a shit or just fodder for the LOV to improve themselves.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
And I'm kinda now leaning towards this arc being on the longer side than before, were on the seventh chapter and I can't imagine this will be as long as the Pro Hero arc which was only ten chapters.

The Pro Hero arc was eight chapters. And this isn't the seventh chapter, it's the sixth. This current arc will reach that 8 chapter mark in another two chapters.

Otherwise, yeah I'd agree with you. I have a feeling we may not have even passed the halfway point yet. It's not going to go over 18 or so though, unless Hori's schedule starts falling apart again.

Dec 28, 2018
The Pro Hero arc was eight chapters. And this isn't the seventh chapter, it's the sixth. This current arc will reach that 8 chapter mark in another two chapters.

Otherwise, yeah I'd agree with you. I have a feeling we may not have even passed the halfway point yet. It's not going to go over 18 or so though, unless Hori's schedule starts falling apart again.
Guess I should stop drinking my dumbass juice cause I could've sworn the Pro Hero arc was ten chapters long and this was the seventh chapter, thanks for the correction. Personally I'd want this arc to be over twenty chapters but being more realistic I could see it being around 15 chapters. And unless he gets sick again and moves to another house I don't think it will fall apart like the previous arc.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I hope this arc is longer than the Yakuza arc, everything happening in this arc is just much more interesting than anything else we've had in a long time

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I hope this arc is longer than the Yakuza arc, everything happening in this arc is just much more interesting than anything else we've had in a long time

No lies regarding the bolded, though I can't see it being anywhere near that long without us changing back to the heroes' (Basically Deku) perspective. Which is... fine, I guess. But I'd be lying if I didn't say that the main appeal is that it is squarely focused on the LoV being the protagonists.

Dec 28, 2018
I want it to be longer arc as well but it focusing mainly on the LOV and not on Deku makes me doubtful that it will. And I agree that this is the most interesting arc we've had in a long ass while. Hell this is the first arc since the Hideout Raid Arc that I've really enjoyed.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So I've been really mulling the previous chapter that explained Shiggy's full motivation and I think I've come to a conclusion that Hori might be going for. At its core, his motivation is based in a selfish desire. The LOV, each one of them, all have selfish desires. Each one has a feeling, a motivation, a meaning that is at ends with how society is at the moment. Spinner wants justice for mutants due to the way he was treated and I think at the end of this arc he will realize the LOV can help him change society for this end. Toga is nuts crazy for sure, but she says in a previous chapter that following Shiggy allows her to "fall in love" as she says it. Toga has found out that following Shiggy lets her step out of the shadow of Stain she was originally in, and I think this arc will do the same for Spinner. Dabi is odd because clearly Hori has something going on here. I think the same can be said for Compress, who along with Dabi, seems to be a trusted ally for the front lines.

Shiggy continues to be the most interesting character in the manga for me. Not due to any particular traits per say, but because it's clear Hori is developing him over time to be the best villain, like Deku is meant to be the best hero. Just like how Deku stands for the core values of the heroes to save everyone, Shiggy stands for the core values of the stereotypical villain to destroy everything. They are both very extreme ends, but Shiggy's end goal is significantly harder to pull off as a motivation in a realistic way. Deku wants to be able to save everyone, cool then, you work at that boo. But convincing the audience that a character wants to "destroy everything" is a lot harder and is sure to bring some eye rolls.

I'm not entirely sure Shiggy is supposed to be taken 100% seriously though. Even the Doctor calls his dreams a childish pipe dream, but still agrees to help him. Ultimately Deku has a the same pipe dream, just that he wants to save everyone instead of destroying everyone. However, society is set up to help Deku in his goal. Shiggy has to show that he is a proper threat and that he means business when he says he'll destroy everything, which I think this arc will do.

I also think people are lying to themselves when they say they don't think anyone could come to the same conclusion as Shiggy. I'm sure we have all been in a situation where we were willing to give up and just say "fuck it". That's where Shiggy is and, unlike most people, he has refused to move on (obviously due to some All For One shenanigans).

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, who hasn't contemplated committing murder every now and again.

Right, guys?

...guys?

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I also think people are lying to themselves when they say they don't think anyone could come to the same conclusion as Shiggy. I'm sure we have all been in a situation where we were willing to give up and just say "fuck it". That's where Shiggy is and, unlike most people, he has refused to move on (obviously due to some All For One shenanigans).

I see his new goal to be kinda sad too. Up until this point, he's been fooling himself into thinking that accomplishing certain objectives, such as killing AM or being the underworld ruler, would bring him some sort of satisfaction.

Now, he's gonna just blow away everything in his path, so that he can exist without pain. I'm not really interested in a redemption, but I do hope that Shigaraki can find a bit of hope somewhere down the line. Who knows, maybe he'll spiral down even further.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, who hasn't contemplated committing murder every now and again.

Right, guys?

...guys?
Lol you missed the idea, Shiggy is the extreme of these urges like Deku is the extreme of the heroic urges. Shiggy is the extreme of every negative thought anyone has ever had, therefore in the end he can allow his end goal to house every selfish end goal (this is why he allows Toga and the others to follow their own goals). Again, this is all what All for One wants though.

We all have things that annoy us. Things we want gone. To say otherwise would be blatant lying and virtue signaling. However we know that we have to work past it and learn to work around it because we know removing certain obstacles is not the right path. The LOV work under Shiggy who never thought this, therefore he will be the ultimate evil that All for One wants that allows the rest of the members to work out there selfish desires.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between "fuck it" and what Shiggy has decided to do.

At least before it was semi-interesting, him wanting to see how society would react if All Might is no longer around. (Horikoshi hasn't really done much with that on a macro scale tbh) Or maybe if they went with an anarchy angle, that could prove appealing. Instead it's switched to wanting to destroy everything, and yea like you said, that immediately elicits an eye-roll from me. The only way for me personally to really roll with that is if I massively sympathized with him enough to be understanding/accepting of his new motivation. But I don't. It's just too grandiose and childish for me to really take seriously. Actually I can't recall if there was ever a character, villain or otherwise, where I was totally down with them wanting to literally destroy everything just because they don't like it.

As of this arc, the appeal with Shiggy for me is seeing his increased swagger and confidence in the face of being thoroughly called out for basically being a loser, as well as being in a context where Horikoshi can allow him to use his quirk freely. But as for his apparent overaching goal of villainy, yea not a fan.

I'm not entirely sure Shiggy is supposed to be taken 100% seriously though. Even the Doctor calls his dreams a childish pipe dream, but still agrees to help him. Ultimately Deku has a the same pipe dream, just that he wants to save everyone instead of destroying everyone. However, society is set up to help Deku in his goal. Shiggy has to show that he is a proper threat and that he means business when he says he'll destroy everything, which I think this arc will do.

It feels somewhat contradictory to say that we're not supposed to really take him all that seriously, but then go on to say that this arc will likely make us take him seriously. And you mention the doctor calling a spade a spade, but in the end he's helping him, so not much of a condemnation.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I mean, it's literally the same idealized idea as the heroes. What All Might stood for. Not everyone can be saved. Not everything can be destroyed. Whether Hori addresses this is up in the air though.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Well that was a really cool chapter. Shigaraki's playing it smart by taking advantage of Gigantomachia like that, but I wonder how exactly it's gonna happen... is Gigantomachia going to just run towards him and smash everything in his way? Will Ujiko help him and teleport him there? Heck, how does Shigaraki fight Gigantomachia with his quirk anyway?

That aside, I'm really enjoying the vibes of this, with the League literally going to enemy territory and fighting their way through to the tower to rescue Giran. It's adorable and awesome all at the same time. I love how much the League cares for its members. Well, aside from Dabi who doesn't give a shit, lol.

Psyched for next chapter. I like Toga and I get the feeling that we're gonna get her backstory soon, which is something I've been curious about since the character's introduction. Also, I really like the part where she crosses her fingers saying it's a bad idea to just jump in and how the MLA might have been lying, etc.

Also, I really love that panel of Dabi and Toga (and Spinner) getting ready to attack/defend.

Shigaraki quickly dusting his two attackers was really cool too. I wonder if he's trained enough to be able to make things decay faster or if he's somehow doing things differently.

I'm a bit surprised to find out that even the heroes of Deika city are all under the MLA's control, but it's an interesting case since this tells us that there really are some heroes out there who aren't just not heroic but even those who oppose the current structure of society. Hopefully, this arc won't end with the destruction of the Meta Liberation Army and that they'll live on somehow and gain more recruits in the future. I don't want things to simply be U.A. students + pro heroes vs. League of Villains in the end.
bunkitz
legend-of-korra-asami-kiss-1017111.jpg
Damn straight that's what's gonna happen.

I need to get started on reading the Legend of Korra comics. Loved the Last Airbender ones from before.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
That aside, I'm really enjoying the vibes of this, with the League literally going to enemy territory and fighting their way through to the tower to rescue Giran.

I don't know if Horikoshi is doing this deliberately, but the whole scenario is reminiscent of videogames.

There's the "level design", with the objective they need to reach being:
1. in the center of the level
2. In an elevated position, so it's visible from all angles.

Then there's kind of a "mission" style structure to the LoV's plan. They have to fight their way to the top of the tower, confront the "final boss", rescue their captive and then survive until the Giga-clock counts down. it's like something out of Left 4 Dead lol.

It may be deliberate just because of Shigaraki's renewed passion for videogame terminology. Cool either way.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if Horikoshi is doing this deliberately, but the whole scenario is reminiscent of videogames.

There's the "level design", with the objective they need to reach being:
1. in the center of the level
2. In an elevated position, so it's visible from all angles.

Then there's kind of a "mission" style structure to the LoV's plan. They have to fight their way to the top of the tower, confront the "final boss", rescue their captive and then survive until the Giga-clock counts down. it's like something out of Left 4 Dead lol.

It may be deliberate just because of Shigaraki's renewed passion for videogame terminology. Cool either way.
If I had to guess, I'd say it's deliberate because of both Shigaraki and Horikoshi himself being fans of games.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
We were talking about villain redemption a while back. I'm eager to get some flashbacks on Toga and more of the league to get a sense of who could potentially switch sides.

I've said before I always thought Toga was one of the more likely candidates. Anyone who joined the League because of Stain I think could flip

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
We were talking about villain redemption a while back. I'm eager to get some flashbacks on Toga and more of the league to get a sense of who could potentially switch sides.

I've said before I always thought Toga was one of the more likely candidates. Anyone who joined the League because of Stain I think could flip
Toga being redeemed all comes down to how Horikoshi handles her backstory, if it's a tragic backstory that shows how she turned crazy then I say she has a chance, if her backstory only serves the show how twisted and evil she is then I give up on her redemption

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018

Naw she has to many bodies under her. Her and Dabi need prison more than any kind of redemption, Especially Dabi because he is completely a serial killer and even killed a couple cops and a hero.

Twice is redeemable because that man seriously needs some mental healthcare. Shigi needs prison or death also. No matter his backstory he is an unrepentant terrorist.

Spinner is redeemable the most out of all of them and is the most likely to switch sides if actually gotten by himself and talked down.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Same, though I don't see Hori going in that direction

Yeah it feels more like Hori is building a Phantom Troupe in that you love the characters but also recognize that these people are going to have to die because they have committed to many sins against way to many people to be allowed to walk around.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Also I wish people would give horokoshi more credit when they keep posting about them being worried about the girl vs girl fight when this is one of the few times in the series a girl has fought 1 v 1 vs another girl.

Toga ambushed The girls in the forest is one and the only other girl fight I can think of is Momo vs Kendo. Outside of that its always been mixed fights.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I dont expect a backstory that redeems toga, I think her backstory will be much more similar to Twice's

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Finally got round to watching Two Heroes for the first time, it was.....fine? Opening and closing fight were pretty dope (as well as Shoto/ Bakugo taking on the villains) and I thought Melissa was a cool character, but the rest of it was a bit meh? I know most Shonen movies are like this but I dunno, was kinda expecting a bit more from it.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised people are considering Toga redemption? I mean, okay, it can somehow happen cause anything is possible but I don't expect it nor would I want it. Same goes for Dabi. (I brought him up since he's my favorite villain)

By the way, BigWinnie1 , it's not prohibited or anything, but please try to refrain from double/triple posting. Your second post was just a minute later than the first so you could've just edited that one. Double posting is perfectly fine if nobody's posted in a long time, of course.
Anyone who joined the League because of Stain I think could flip
I've actually began to consider Spinner not turning and instead sticking with the League. Given how "lost" Spinner seems to be, I think he might end up following Shigaraki instead after this arc, instead of trying to be a Stain-lite. Finding out that Spinner wanted something to fill that "emptiness" he felt makes me think that's what's gonna happen. It made me question how genuine his belief of Stain's ideals are, somewhat.

Dec 28, 2018
I still think that none of the LOV members will end up being redeemed in the story. Especially if they end up killing a whole bunch of people this arc. I personally feel that it's hard to give someone a chance at redemption if they've murdered another and even less of a chance if they committed mass murder. The only ones who I can sorta see possibly being redeemed is Spinner, Twice, and Compress. I honestly can't see someone like Toga for example being redeemed. And even if she does end up having a super sad backstory I still don't think she'd get redeemed.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who joined the League because of Stain I think could flip
Eh I kinda agree though probably not for the same reason

Toga doesn't give a shit so I can see her leaving if Shigaraki gets boring

Spinner is the most likely though I can see him being loyal if Shigaraki gave him an actual goal

Dabi also doesn't have any loyalty he's staying as long as the league is useful to him he doesn't seem to have any illusion about the league

Which depends what Dabi goals actually are because we don't know much about him (for a good twist reason I'm betting)

Last edited:

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm more surprised people are so hesitant to the idea of any of the villains being redeemed. This is a battle shonen (where villains get redeemed, their past sins waved away, and become good guys) Inspired by American comics (where villains get redeemed, their past sins waved away, and become good guys). Gentle already has the door opened in this series for villain redemption I'm sure more will happen before the story ends.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more surprised people are so hesitant to the idea of any of the villains being redeemed. This is a battle shonen (where villains get redeemed, their past sins waved away, and become good guys) Inspired by American comics (where villains get redeemed, their past sins waved away, and become good guys). Gentle already has the door opened in this series for villain redemption I'm sure more will happen before the story ends.

Whatever happens happens, but for some of them it'd simply be laughable for Horikoshi to go down that route. Gentle isn't a good comparison because his misdeeds are nowhere near as bad.

It being a common trope in battle shounen/comics isn't going to suddenly make people on board with it happening here.

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, Gentle is an odd example to use. He hasn't even killed anyone, has he? Though maybe I've forgotten already.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I kind of always imagined shigaraki winning the first part of the story, and having the second part of the story be Deku and his friends re-establish a new hero society, if a Villain were to switch sides I think they'd be perfectly fine if the old justice system got destroyed

Someone like toga or twice getting away with murder doesn't feel any different than reading about Deadpool or Harley Quinn becoming good guys

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If the LoV were to ever be redeemed, we would need a bigger set of bad guys to step up, forcing everyone to team up. We have the opportunity this arc, but I doubt it, it's too early.

Time for aliens.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I'm surprised people are considering Toga redemption? I mean, okay, it can somehow happen cause anything is possible but I don't expect it nor would I want it. Same goes for Dabi. (I brought him up since he's my favorite villain)

By the way, BigWinnie1 , it's not prohibited or anything, but please try to refrain from double/triple posting. Your second post was just a minute later than the first so you could've just edited that one. Double posting is perfectly fine if nobody's posted in a long time, of course.

I've actually began to consider Spinner not turning and instead sticking with the League. Given how "lost" Spinner seems to be, I think he might end up following Shigaraki instead after this arc, instead of trying to be a Stain-lite. Finding out that Spinner wanted something to fill that "emptiness" he felt makes me think that's what's gonna happen. It made me question how genuine his belief of Stain's ideals are, somewhat.
I could be misremembering but I don't see Toga as being as villainous as Dabi and the others. That's just me of course, but the backstory will decide a lot for me
Some villains shouldn't. It's case by case
I kind of always imagined shigaraki winning the first part of the story, and having the second part of the story be Deku and his friends re-establish a new hero society, if a Villain were to switch sides I think they'd be perfectly fine if the old justice system got destroyed

Someone like toga or twice getting away with murder doesn't feel any different than reading about Deadpool or Harley Quinn becoming good guys
This is a good point, Deadpool was evil for a while. Toga and Twice definitely fall on that same spectrum
Eh I kinda agree though probably not for the same reason

Toga doesn't give a shit so I can see her leaving if Shigaraki gets boring

Spinner is the most likely though I can see him being loyal if Shigaraki gave him an actual goal

Dabi also doesn't have any loyalty he's staying as long as the league is useful to him he doesn't seem to have any illusion about the league

Which depends what Dabi goals actually are because we don't know much about him (for a good twist reason I'm betting)
I see Spinner striking out to find Stain once Stain gets free. I have nothing to back it up I just think that'll happen

I can see Stain on some Morlocks shit tbh

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So I was discussing with some people about the possibility of one of the LoV dieing and they seemed to believe Toga has high chances. I was against the idea but I was in the minority, I just think she is endgame material. What do you guys think? Will someone die? Will Toga die? Will toga be a final arc threat?

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
So I was discussing with some people about the possibility of one of the LoV dieing and they seemed to believe Toga has high chances. I was against the idea but I was in the minority, I just think she is endgame material. What do you guys think? Will someone die? Will Toga die? Will toga be a final arc threat?

Toga's gonna survive long enough to disguise herself as either Uraraka and Deku and making a move on the other.
She might die after she gets some closure of some sort.
Likewise for Dabi and Shiggy, they're only dying after they settle their shit. That's probably going to be at the series finale, so they're safe until then.

Rest of the LoV, who knows. They're a pretty small group though, so any death will have a big impact.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
No way in hell they kill the only female and most popular member of the LoV.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Were they talking about this arc because see clearly has set up for later story plot points and she's also the second most prominent figure in Shigaraki's group, it's like saying Dabi will die before the final arc

Status
Not open for further replies.