• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
803bJxV.png

I love this panel

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting (If we're not already there...) to the point where Dabi not being Todoroki's brother would be less a good twist and more subverting expectations just because.
I'll say what I said about TLJ:
If I'm predicting it from more than a year our based on evidence, then it's not subverting expectations, y'all were just looking in the wrong direction the whole time.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'll say what I said about TLJ:
If I'm predicting it from more than a year our based on evidence, then it's not subverting expectations, y'all were just looking in the wrong direction the whole time.

The general consensus of the fandom is the expectation that he is related to the Todorokis, with a lot of that having to do with Horikoshi himself pushing us in that direction due to all the blatant teasing. For that not to be the case would be clearly be a prime example of subverting our expectations. There being a small minority that feels differently doesn't change that and furthermore is missing the point. People fully expecting him to be a Todoroki is not the same as saying that there's nothing people could retroactively point back to as evidence on the slim chance we get an entirely different reveal. Its just that said "different reveal" would very likely come across to most as wanting to surprise the readers for the sake of it, making all of that prior teasing an unnecessary red herring. To not properly payoff on all of that teasing, all for a character no one asked for a long term mystery from to begin with, is indeed a choice Horikoshi could make...

I struggle to see the value behind confirming that he isn't a Todoroki after all this time beyond having readers feel briefly shocked. Same goes for the weird half measures I've seen here and there like the idea that Dabi is just wearing Touya's skin or what have you. In my opinion, the margin of error for Horikoshi actually deciding to not have Dabi be a Todoroki and genuinely executing it well is quite large.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The general consensus of the fandom is the expectation that he is related to the Todorokis, with a lot of that having to do with Horikoshi himself pushing us in that direction due to all the blatant teasing. For that not to be the case would be clearly be a prime example of subverting our expectations. There being a small minority that feels differently doesn't change that and furthermore is missing the point. People fully expecting him to be a Todoroki is not the same as saying that there's nothing people could retroactively point back to as evidence on the slim chance we get an entirely different reveal. Its just that said "different reveal" would very likely come across to most as wanting to surprise the readers for the sake of it, making all of that prior teasing an unnecessary red herring. To not properly payoff on all of that teasing, all for a character no one asked for a long term mystery from to begin with, is indeed a choice Horikoshi could make...

I struggle to see the value behind confirming that he isn't a Todoroki after all this time beyond having readers feel briefly shocked. Same goes for the weird half measures I've seen here and there like the idea that Dabi is just wearing Touya's skin or what have you. In my opinion, the margin of error for Horikoshi actually deciding to not have Dabi be a Todoroki and genuinely executing it well is quite large.
If you dismiss all other possibilities of course the one you believe is the only one that makes sense

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you dismiss all other possibilities of course the one you believe is the only one that makes sense
It's not that. It's that with all the weight of teases, the only reason for him not to have some kind of deep, personal connection to Endeavor is to turn those teases into red herrings. And the only reason to do that is to outsmart the readers, who are only making reasonable assumptions based on the information we've been given. It'd be silly.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not that. It's that with all the weight of teases, the only reason for him not to have some kind of deep, personal connection to Endeavor is to turn those teases into red herrings. And the only reason to do that is to outsmart the readers, who are only making reasonable assumptions based on the information we've been given. It'd be silly.
How can you claim right now it is the "only" reason, seriously, how can you dismiss something that didnt even happen yet?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
How can you claim right now it is the "only" reason, seriously, how can you dismiss something that didnt even happen yet
Because I am familiar with the basic conventions of storytelling, having consumed a great deal of media in my time.

Like, what kind of question is that? It's the way it is because that's the way it is lol.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
People fully expecting him to be a Todoroki is not the same as saying that there's nothing people could retroactively point back to as evidence on the slim chance we get an entirely different reveal
It's not retroactive though. I've been pointing to reasons it wouldn't make any damn sense for a good long while now and have had folks just shrug off what I've been saying. It's the same damn thing that happened with me having been saying that One for All was going to let Deku use past wielder's quirks then everyone turning around and saying it came out of nowhere. It's not retroactive if someone's been shouting it from the rooftops for months/years and the rest of y'all have just decided that person is wrong.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Dabi's such a freaking dweeb with his "cool" poses.
Pfft. Are you implying Dabi is dorky? That he thinks himself badass by posing as he attacks? Dabi? This guy?

MKZr0Hi.jpg

latest

latest

Yeah, he's a huge fucking dork just like his dad and little brother and I love that about him.

By the way Lotus I like that analogy you made about how Dabi not being a Todoroki would be like the opposite of Tobi being revealed to be Obito... That one still stings. Damn you, Kishimoto. Damn you. It was too obvious a choice. God I was so pissed when I read that chapter, lol.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not retroactive though. I've been pointing to reasons it wouldn't make any damn sense for a good long while now and have had folks just shrug off what I've been saying.

Call it whatever you want. Point is, the purpose of the hints is clear, to make us readers believe that Dabi is related to Endeavor. The eventual reveal is something that makes the most narrative sense given the hints, and would also have a tangible effect on at least two established characters. Whereas Dabi being some random guy is... whatever.

I firmly believe we're pretty much past the point of doing something lame like that. It's no longer just some wild theory, the author is actively encouraging us to look forward to that revelation. Can't speak for others, but it's not a matter of "Oh fuck we were wrong after all", that isn't the issue whatsoever. I'm just acknowledging that it would be a poor decision to subvert this particular expectation. Sometimes a spade should just be a spade.

You clearly disagree, so not much else to say.

It's the same damn thing that happened with me having been saying that One for All was going to let Deku use past wielder's quirks then everyone turning around and saying it came out of nowhere.

I mean...

Ok.

By the way @Lotus I like that analogy you made about how Dabi not being a Todoroki would be like the opposite of Tobi being revealed to be Obito... That one still stings. Damn you, Kishimoto. Damn you. It was too obvious a choice. God I was so pissed when I read that chapter, lol.

Yea, like, you could see why people argued that Tobi = Obito, but it was so stupid that as a result many people had difficulty buying into it. This on the other hand is something that's plain as day for just about everyone in the fandom, and just isn't asking to be subverted for the sake of it, especially when such a theoretical twist is almost guaranteed to be "lesser" in comparison. But whatever, I ain't the author lol

Exactly.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Call it whatever you want. Point is, the purpose of the hints is clear, to make us readers believe that Dabi is related to Endeavor. The eventual reveal is something that makes the most narrative sense given the hints, and would also have a tangible effect on at least two established characters. Whereas Dabi being some random guy is... whatever.

I firmly believe we're pretty much past the point of doing something lame like that. It's no longer just some wild theory, the author is actively encouraging us to look forward to that revelation. Can't speak for others, but it's not a matter of "Oh fuck we were wrong after all", that isn't the issue whatsoever. I'm just acknowledging that it would be a poor decision to subvert this particular expectation. Sometimes a spade should just be a spade.

You clearly disagree, so not much else to say.
I'm with you. Hori has nothing to gain at this point if Dabi is not a Todoroki. It doesn't always pay to overly complicate your story. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I think He is going to have something to do with Endevour but I'm still pretty set on Dabi either being a body snatcher or someone else but actually a Todoroki.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm with you. Hori has nothing to gain at this point if Dabi is not a Todoroki. It doesn't always pay to overly complicate your story. Sometimes the simplest explanation is the best one.
I just think it is hard to pinpoint that there is nothing to gain without seeing it happenning
I think you guys are focusing too much on the end result and aren't considering that the means that make or break the reveal

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I just think it is hard to pinpoint that there is nothing to gain without seeing it happenning
I think you guys are focusing too much on the end result and aren't considering that the means that make or break the reveal
The alternatives I've seen floated aren't convincing. So much of what Hori has teased leads to him being a Todoroki. For all of that to be a red herring or misdirect could be a choice, but would be completely unsatisfying to me

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I'm curious to see about Touya is whether he is estranged from the rest of Todoroki's, or do they think he's dead? Becuase I've seen a lot of theories ranging from him trying to become a hero and "dying" in an incident where he went too far with his flames, or was it just an accident when Endeavor pushed him too hard, got injured and left home?

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I'm curious to see about Touya is whether he is estranged from the rest of Todoroki's, or do they think he's dead? Becuase I've seen a lot of theories ranging from him trying to become a hero and "dying" in an incident where he went too far with his flames, or was it just an accident when Endeavor pushed him too hard, got injured and left home?

I'm going to say that I think Dabi is currently Touya todoroki but Dabi isn't Touya todoroki. I think he is a body snatcher like the goo guy from the first few chapters. If only because of what was said in the last chapter when they were talking about wanting The ice dude on their team.

I first thought recruitment but then went back to maybe Dabi body snatches into this dudes body and touya todoroki will be recovered and give insight into what Dabi actually is.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I'm going to say that I think Dabi is currently Touya todoroki but Dabi isn't Touya todoroki. I think he is a body snatcher like the goo guy from the first few chapters. If only because of what was said in the last chapter when they were talking about wanting The ice dude on their team.

I first thought recruitment but then went back to maybe Dabi body snatches into this dudes body and touya todoroki will be recovered and give insight into what Dabi actually is.

That's such a wack theory dude lmao.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I must've missed some pages when I first read the chapter. I completely missed the part about Twice offering to copy Compress and Dabi. I love his little comment about how Dabi copies would just burn everything, lol.

Dabi says Apocrypha's belief that one's worth is directly tied into their superpower/quirk is sad, i.e. Dabi disagrees with the notion. On a completely unrelated note, Endeavor viewed the world like that, seeking to improve his own quirk and make it as powerful as he can, while commending others with powerful quirks and looking down on those without.

I wonder about Dabi's scars. Like, I get that, say, his forearms were scarred beyond repair due to his quirk use and whatnot, but what's with the staples? That he has scars below his lips towards his clavicle is curious too... It would make more sense if they covered his torso but it doesn't, so I wonder what caused those particular scars. The same goes for those under his eyes...

By the way, this isn't new information at all, but just in case some of you are unaware:

tNooMEd.jpg

swcQDtb.jpg

As early as the first time Dabi attempted to use his quirk, during his and Toga's first meeting with Shigaraki, Horikoshi's already shown his skin burning up. The second set of panels are from after he attempted to burn Aizawa. It's cool that these little details are paying off now and we've gotten confirmation that Dabi hurts himself whenever he uses his flames.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I wonder about Dabi's scars. Like, I get that, say, his forearms were scarred beyond repair due to his quirk use and whatnot, but what's with the staples? That he has scars below his lips towards his clavicle is curious too... It would make more sense if they covered his torso but it doesn't, so I wonder what caused those particular scars. The same goes for those under his eyes...

My theory is that Dabi tried to create his own version of Endeavor's flame guard and it backfired horribly.
endeavor.jpg

Makes sense since Endeavor does it for the intimidation factor.
Endeavor could have pushed Dabi into doing it or Dabi could have done it of his own accord to get some respect from his father.
Either way, scars/burns is probably going to be a major theme of any future Shoto/Dabi interaction.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm. According to Wikipedia: "Apocrypha are works, usually written, of unknown authorship or of doubtful origin." Searching "apocryphal" on Google yields this definition: "(of a story or statement) of doubtful authenticity, although widely circulated as being true. " Makes me wonder if Horikoshi will subvert our expectations by having Dabi not be a Todoroki. That would suck, but we'll see.
My theory is that Dabi tried to create his own version of Endeavor's flame guard and it backfired horribly.

endeavor.jpg

Endeavor could have pushed Dabi into doing it or Dabi could have done it of his own accord to get some respect from his father.
Either way, scars/burns is probably going to be a major theme of any future Shoto/Dabi interaction.
Oh right! That was one of the points of the theory I read on Tumblr before. Makes sense.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
endeavor.jpg

Yeah, I've been saying this for ages - I don't think that the way that Dabi's facial scars look like a mask is a coincidence.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think endevour pushed him and figured out what qas wrong and left his son. Most likely tonget back in his dads good graces he tried to emulate him and pretty much set himself ablaze
Well, I'm still on the Dabi =/= Touya train, so my theory is that Endeavor probably never even met Dabi, but his mom told him who his dad was, so he tried to copy him so he could get closer and then, you know, fwoosh.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Well, I'm still on the Dabi =/= Touya train, so my theory is that Endeavor probably never even met Dabi, but his mom told him who his dad was, so he tried to copy him so he could get closer and then, you know, fwoosh.

I'm good with that to. Im on your side in hoping Dani isn't touts but does know what happened to touya cause he ia some kind of weird family stalker to the todoroki family

Oct 25, 2017
Was each twice going to be able to copy something else? Good thing he got wiped out as that would have been way too powerful if implemented breaking the balance of power especially in the context with someone like Dabi who is burning his fake skin off.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Each copy is weaker than the original so I'd imagine that eventually they'd be taken out by a light breeze

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
But Apocrypha is so much cooler....
So much.

Gonna look it up and see, maybe the Japanese word for "apocrypha" is "geten."

Anyway, names aside, the official translation makes Geten sound like a bigger threat and Dabi in more trouble. I've said before how Dabi will most likely do his own version of Prominence Burn, but I only just thought of it now how he's gonna have to evaporate all the water in the city in order to win this fight. That's a tall order even for him...

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I started reading the light novel and I would just like to inform everyone that Midnight may or may not have castrated a boy when she was young and either way that boy is gay now. Also UA needs sexual harassment training.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I started reading the light novel and I would just like to inform everyone that Midnight may or may not have castrated a boy when she was young and either way that boy is gay now. Also UA needs sexual harassment training.

Its been noted multiple times that Midnight is a sadist and her tendencies come out in weird ways. I'm not surprised she fucked some dude up when she was younger

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Also Mineta is just an insufferable in the light novel as he is in the manga. Maybe even worse.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
She truly is a perfect match for Mineta, they're both equally terrible

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
HUH. I don't recall understanding the implications when I read that part... Yikes.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been saying this for ages - I don't think that the way that Dabi's facial scars look like a mask is a coincidence.
But his face is scarred exactly where Endeavor isn't using his fire. (Unless, again, skin grafts, at which point his scarring doesn't look like a mask, it's all over his face beneath the grafts).

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
HUH. I don't recall understanding the implications when I read that part... Yikes.

I thought it was pretty blatant and was a bit shocked they put in there lol. Her "playing doctor" leading to playing surgery and Midnight being coy about what she did and then Mic covering his junk in response to that.

Anyways, finished the light novel. It was a short, fun read. Tokoyami's love of apples was the star of the book. That and Shoto visiting his mom.

Edit:

D8GyN8SUYAA-ZqU.jpg

Sanrio Collab announced.

Last edited:

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That panel where he teases Shoto on the forest gives away already there's more than meets the eye. The way it was framed specially.

I'm really waiting for the reveal. I want events that challenge the notions and beliefs of the class. Same thing with the traitor stuff.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Oh right, so I did look it up:

Screenshot_2019-06-03-11-48-54-211_com.renzo.japanese.png

(apologies for the huge image but it's a screenshot from my phone)

Under alternate readings is げてん which is "ge-ten-n." Also, Caleb tweeted about it. I only just saw this now but it's cool to know the dictionary app I use got me the exact word!

Oh, and this (the one below) is neat. I was wondering what's stopping Twice's clones from killing each other once again in the future and this clears things up. I'm very happy for Twice! It won't happen again now that he's found a place where he belongs. Also, the above tweet is cool too cause this just shows how powerful Twice could get now. I never imagined this before so this is another one of those pleasant surprises.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can understand why they kept Geten. If they started translating names now, the hole manga would become inconsistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.