• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
MRW Hori gives us Shiggy backstory:

giphy.gif

I had some worries a few weeks ago about where this chapter was going but I'm totally onboard with the Shiggy stuff atm, the parallels Hori is setting up between him and Deku are amazing.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if I wanna learn that All For One orchestrated the whole thing or it really was a freak accident and Shiggy just couldn't control his quirk. Both are tragic.

He just wanted to be a hero, dammit...

Rawky

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly what I believe this is setting up is for Shiggy to resolve to become the hero of villains/ outcasts of society. The parallels this is setting up between him and Deku are undeniable, but his different perspective on life would lead him to a different conclusion, to say the least.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
I don't know if I wanna learn that All For One orchestrated the whole thing or it really was a freak accident and Shiggy just couldn't control his quirk. Both are tragic.

He just wanted to be a hero, dammit...

One theory I saw on Reddit was that he accidentally dusted Hana and that's when everything went pear shaped, which would be fucked up regardless of whether he did it by accident or if AFO remote activated his quirk.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I think I can see where Horikoshi is going with Shigaraki and League's endgame, they have the quirk erasing bullets, all their backstories in a way involve quirks turning them into villains, it's possible that Shigaraki can come out of this flashback blaming his quirk for all his problems. This chapter has ReDestro asking Shigaraki what kind of world he wants to create, I think it's a world without quirks

Last edited:
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Didn't know that. Imagine doing the same in the AOT thread. 😂
This is the thread for the manga.
Correction: This is the thread for the series in general. There have been dedicated anime OTs for past seasons (well, season 3 at least) and as are the common rules in seasonal anime OTs, you only discuss the anime there. In threads like this and the One Piece OT, you're free to discuss anything. Spoiler tags are only needed when discussing manga spoilers before the chapters are translated.
One theory I saw on Reddit was that he accidentally dusted Hana and that's when everything went pear shaped, which would be fucked up regardless of whether he did it by accident or if AFO remote activated his quirk.
Yeah... That doesn't sound any less horrifying. This is gonna be painful no matter what.
I think I can see where Horikoshi is going with Shigaraki and League's endgame, they have the quirk erasing bullets, all their backstories in a way involve quirks turning them into villains, it's possible that Shigaraki can come out of this flashback blaming his quirk for all his problems. This chapter has ReDestro asking Shigaraki what kind of world he wants to create, I think it's a world with quirks
I take it you meant a world without quirks, which sounds about right to me. I wonder how his comrades would feel about it though. Spinner would probably follow him all the way.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I think I can see where Horikoshi is going with Shigaraki and League's endgame, they have the quirk erasing bullets, all their backstories in a way involve quirks turning them into villains, it's possible that Shigaraki can come out of this flashback blaming his quirk for all his problems. This chapter has ReDestro asking Shigaraki what kind of world he wants to create, I think it's a world with quirks
37eb53452030f6d20dca89a0cf1b5336be5af162_00.jpg

tfw your ideals get stolen

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Confirms for me a major part of my own speculations regarding Shigaraki.

Spoilers for 227

So I was never big on the notion that AFO gave Shigaraki his quirk or killed his family.and implanted false memories, but I did believe he did something fucky to him.

This chapter gives me the what. AfO Scott Summers'd him. Based on the way Shigaraki's quirk now seems to work (killing multiple different people because his sleep depriv3e state perceived it as one large object) that means the quirk can't possibly be all or nothing. And if it can scale up, it can likely scale down.

If that's the case it's likely he should be able to straight up turn it off. But he can't. My hypothesis is that Shigaraki could turn his quirk off as kid and AfO did something to temporarily disable his control. The trauma after killing his family did the rest.

The apparent exchange with his father serves as evidence as well.

Picture this, Shigaraki saying he wants to be a hero, his dad telling him he can't be a hero with his quirk, his sister cheering him up by telling him their grandmother was a hero. Runs into a strange man on the street one day who says some nice things and sends him off with a pat on the head. And that evening that same quirk his father had said he couldn't be a hero with kills his whole family.

He's able to control his quirk and always has been. The trauma of what happened to him rendered him unable to. What's left to confirm is that AfO disabled his control to cause what happened to him to happen.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
giphy.gif

(Exclusive footage of Giga entering the city)

Here I am, minding my own business, patiently waiting for Dabi's backstory to be revealed and Hori decides to pull more of the curtain back on Shiggy. I ain't mad at it.

The flashback helps us paint an even better scene of his home life. We know AfO was the one who gave Shiggy his family's hands in a twisted show of affection. Shiggy mentions his memories are coming back to him, meaning he forgot or more likely blacked it out. I think we all have suspicions of the role AfO played in what happened to Shiggy's family and nothing I've seen this chapter has dissuaded me from that thinking.

Destro is totally Ultimate Green Goblin. In the midst of his transformation he had some Hulk about him but he's full on Norman baby. Very nice. While the fight they had this chapter was fun to look at, I'm more excited about what new answer Shiggy will give Destro about his motivation.

I think pretty much everyone in the league except Dabi and Compress has had a quirk awakening this arc. With Deku having all of those quirks in him, expect this to happen to the U.A. students at various points too.

-Shiggy's family seemed really nice
-His face on page 9, LOL

How will Giga turn the tide? Will Destro have to go 100%?!? What will Shigaraki's answer be? What other surprises lay in wait?!? Find out next time on My Hero (Villain) Academia!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We're still on this quirk evolution train I see...

Alright chapter, mainly happy at Destro potentially getting to Shiggy rethink his lame villain goals.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt sure before but now I am that Eri will be very important on dealing with Shigaraki in the future. Not only they have similar origins, but they also are the the 2 examples of characters that have evolved quirks the other being deku but in deku's case the quirk isn't really his

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe Shigaraki will use the quirk-eraser bullet on himself. Say goodbye to the quirk that ruined everything he had.

Man, the heroes and police are going to be shook when they find what's left of Deika city.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I wasnt sure before but now I am that Eri will be very important on dealing with Shigaraki in the future. Not only they have similar origins, but they also are the the 2 examples of characters that have evolved quirks the other being deku but in deku's case the quirk isn't really his
I feel like Eri's existence confirms a timeskip which I'm both dreading and looking forward to.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I can see Shigaraki stopping Machia by himself to end redestro, proving to him that he's able to lead them like AfO.

Still, Hori is rushing this shittt, i want to see more of what are the other guys doing, specially Dabi and ice man, or where the fuck is compress...

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
1. Think a timeskip is coming soon?
2. Why do people say Shigaraki will go after AFO?

Time skip is possible, whether we go into the final semester (end of 1st year exam) or straight into the second year is debatable.

I feel like Hori's set up some stuff like Shoto training his fire side with Endevour, Deku still processing black whip, AM's inevitable death, the traitor etc that needs to be addressed first, there's a ton of stuff I think that needs to be wrapped up before we move on to the second year.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I expect the markings to be black, but I hope they're more of a dark purple so that we'll have all three of Norman's colors on Re-Destro.

Not too fond of how his 80% form gave him a similar black goop mask thing as Overhaul's though.

Anyway, what are everyone's thoughts on the "awakening" thing? I'm curious if it's meant to be the same as the "evolutions" the U.A. students' quirks have been going through, except the acquiring method is more like an adrenaline rush kind of thing rather than rigorous training.

He's able to control his quirk and always has been. The trauma of what happened to him rendered him unable to. What's left to confirm is that AfO disabled his control to cause what happened to him to happen.
I like this theory.
giphy.gif

(Exclusive footage of Giga entering the city)
LMAO.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017

This makes the most sense.

Can't wait to see how he fucks destro up.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Evo Quirks will 100% be the ass pull power up going forward in a time skip, I guarantee it. They will find that the Quirk event horizon isn't some ultimate quirk being that can nuke the planet in a second, but the awakening of people's quirks in one generation where over time they get stronger and develop more uses and abilities with em. Which is exactly what is happening now first with Shigraki and Deku, later with others.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Some I can imagine what awakening means like Ochako might learn how to control stuff in midair or maybe increase and decrease somethings gravity at will. Others like Bakugo or Kirishima I have a hard time thinking of ways to 'improve' theirs.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
There is a MHA Panel at AX today so I bet we get a trailer or something today for the next season.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It just seems like a new name for something we've been seeing since the start of the series.

Eventually Kaminari would be able to use his quirk without getting ditzy.

Something like what you're suggesting makes perfect sense in the context of training. But say he's pushed to the brink in a fight, and suddenly that weakness disappears, that would feel cheap.

Likewise with Shiggy and especially Toga, not only did that happen, but their "evolution" moments pretty much rewrote the rules we've been given on how their quirks work. It was less egregious the first time around with Shiggy, but for it to not only happen again, but also conveniently ignore his known handicap of needing to use all 5 fingers... c'mon.

I mean I could handwave it all away if I really wanted to. But regarding the execution... how many times does he plan on relying on this crutch moving forward?

Oct 25, 2017
Something like what you're suggesting makes perfect sense in the context of training. But say he's pushed to the brink in a fight, and suddenly that weakness disappears, that would feel cheap.

Likewise with Shiggy and especially Toga, not only did that happen, but their "evolution" moments pretty much rewrote the rules we've been given on how their quirks work. It was less egregious the first time around with Shiggy, but for it to not only happen again, but also conveniently ignore his known handicap of needing to use all 5 fingers... c'mon.

I mean I could handwave it all away if I really wanted to. But regarding the execution... how many times does he plan on relying on this crutch moving forward?
I never even noticed the 5 finger rule. At least we know he can jerk off, albeit weirdly. Extend the pinky.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Shigaraki's quirk is just like Eri's, the "rules" never applied to such quirks
About Toga there was no rule saying that she couldnt copy quirks, in fact it makes a lot of sense that she could copy quirks since he copies everything else.

I dunno, for me it seems very nitpicky to complain about this now without a deeper explanation, it reminds of people saying that Eri's quirk would break the series. In fact I feel the MHA fanbase does this a lot recently.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

Sorry but Toga's power up didn't break any rule, she copies people by taking their DNA, quirks are apart of the DNA, we had an arc were the UA students learn super moves, invisible girl learning how to flashbang, frog girl learning how to camouflage, and red riot unbreakable

I actually find Toga's being less egregious because it's a character that barely fights finding out something new about their quirk, the very first chapter says quirks can be categorized as one thing and end up being something else

Status
Not open for further replies.