• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017

FeminineCelebratedGerbil-size_restricted.gif

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
bunkitz why didn't you warn me about Tamaki in fire force

The series is good btw
Cause since I stopped reading it, my mind seemed to have blocked out all the fan service from the series. I totally forgot about it until I talked to a friend about Fire Force. *sighs*

I'm really hoping the anime reduces them or if possible, outright skips them.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
bunkitz why didn't you warn me about Tamaki in fire force

The series is good btw
Fire Force started strong but tbh I feel like it went off a cliff pretty fast.

At the beginning it looked like it was gonna be an almost World Trigger esque "here is what everybody can do and we're going to follow these rules scrupulously to make interesting fights" and then it turned into basically any random Shonen complete with a harem and gratuitous fanservice for no particular reason.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

Fire Force started strong but tbh I feel like it went off a cliff pretty fast.

At the beginning it looked like it was gonna be an almost World Trigger esque "here is what everybody can do and we're going to follow these rules scrupulously to make interesting fights" and then it turned into basically any random Shonen complete with a harem and gratuitous fanservice for no particular reason.
AWW MAN. Fuck, that sucks. That really fucking sucks.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Heroes Rising Villan Design:

people have already pointed out the villain has already been foreshadowed in Chapter 222:
fIRjJxV.jpg

Summary: All the students of U.A. High School's 1-A gather together. The "Symbol of Peace" All Might-- people around the world looked up to him but he has regrettably retired from hero work. Now they face the series' most sinister villain "Nine", who is operating behind the scenes in a certain incident and boasts overwhelming strength.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry but Toga's power up didn't break any rule, she copies people by taking their DNA, quirks are apart of the DNA, we had an arc were the UA students learn super moves, invisible girl learning how to flashbang, frog girl learning how to camouflage, and red riot unbreakable

She described how her quirk worked in the past. Now we later put her in a fight where she conveniently suddenly gains the ability to copy quirks. When I say rules, I'm not being super literal, I'm just saying that we've been told her quirk worked one way, and now all of a sudden it conveniently gets a huge boost out of nowhere when her life is in danger, because emotions. If she had it from the beginning, I wouldn't have taken issue with it.

I have minor gripes with Tsuyu's camoflauge as well, but overall the examples you gave have a noticeably different execution in that they trained for it, albeit off-screen, and had it revealed in an arc with virtually no stakes. They are also abilities that it makes sense one can train for. Toga copying quirks isn't something she trained to accomplish. (Not that I really think that would make sense anyhow, but that's another topic) People are handwaving her "evolution" because it fits their idea of what a shapeshifter should be theoretically capable of, which I don't disagree with. But it doesn't change that the execution was done through an asspull.

Hence why I say I'm not a fan of this concept that has been utilized repeatedly in this arc.

I actually find Toga's being less egregious because it's a character that barely fights finding out something new about their quirk, the very first chapter says quirks can be categorized as one thing and end up being something else

She's a serial killer with ninja-esque agility. I didn't agree when you said it before, and I don't agree now either. She had ample opportunities to learn about this. Given the context of their upgrades this arc, where the MLA are conveniently caught off guard despite their extensive info-gathering, its clearly something that has happened for the first time, not a scenario where all along she misinterpreted how her quirk worked. This latest chapter more or less spells it out even further.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Toga's copying quirks isnt any evolution tho, quirks are part of the DNA, Toga copies the DNA, it feels like a natural application of her quirk

Talking about "evolution", I wonder if it has anything to do with trigger. Shigaraki suddenly removing the limits of his quirk feels like it

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
She described how her quirk worked in the past. Now we later put her in a fight where she conveniently suddenly gains the ability to copy quirks. When I say rules, I'm not being super literal, I'm just saying that we've been told her quirk worked one way, and now all of a sudden it conveniently gets a huge boost out of nowhere when her life is in danger, because emotions. If she had it from the beginning, I wouldn't have taken issue with it.

I have minor gripes with Tsuyu's camoflauge as well, but overall the examples you gave have a noticeably different execution in that they trained for it, albeit off-screen, and had it revealed in an arc with virtually no stakes. They are also abilities that it makes sense one can train for. Toga copying quirks isn't something she trained to accomplish. (Not that I really think that would make sense anyhow, but that's another topic) People are handwaving her "evolution" because it fits their idea of what a shapeshifter should be theoretically capable of, which I don't disagree with. But it doesn't change that the execution was done through an asspull.

Hence why I say I'm not a fan of this concept that has been utilized repeatedly in this arc.

She's a serial killer with ninja-esque agility. I didn't agree when you said it before, and I don't agree now either. She had ample opportunities to learn about this. Given the context of their upgrades this arc, where the MLA are conveniently caught off guard despite their extensive info-gathering, its clearly something that has happened for the first time, not a scenario where all along she misinterpreted how her quirk worked. This latest chapter more or less spells it out even further.
I would say sneak killing someone isn't really a fight, civilians and school students probably don't show off their quirks that often, from her flashback we are to believe she started drinking human blood around 2 years ago, the people she's killed and transformed into are most likely civilians that don't show off their quirks, in the fight she says " I saw Ochako's quirk, I know how to use it", that not only implies that she needs to see how the quirk is used but also Ochako is one of the few people she has gotten blood from that she has seen how her quirk is used, Toga's quirk also has a time limit so it's not like she had time to experiment with one of her more important transformations she had limited time with

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Huh, the movie villain being foreshadowed in the manga is interesting. More so because of the fact that Hori mentioned that he is gonna draw from his manga ending idea. I wonder if this movie will be a proper Canon setup to the real big bad after AfO.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Neat. It didn't register in my brain that July 12 was only 5 days away and not the usual 7.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

It mentions we're getting a 5th popularity poll next issue, any predictions on how it'll go, I just hope Shigaraki, Twice, and Toga make it to the top 10 this time

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017

It mentions we're getting a 5th popularity poll next issue, any predictions on how it'll go, I just hope Shigaraki, Twice, and Toga make it to the top 10 this time

God I hope Momo can stay in the top ten.

Maybe we should have a new poll too? We can only have seven choices though... Hmm.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Why not just have a poll through like survey monkey/strawpoll or some such? Have it be hidden that people have to quote to get the link.
Nah, the less clicks people have to go through the better.
Seeing how we're still in a Villain, how about favorite non-LoV villain, if not maybe favorite pro hero?
Ooh, I did want to make a poll like that before.

Seven options could be...
  • Stain
  • Overhaul
  • Chronostasis
  • Gentle Criminal (and La Brava?)
  • Re-Destro
  • Curious
  • Skeptic
  • Geten
Not enough space for Trumpet but I don't think anyone would miss him. Then again, I could probably say the same for Curious and Skeptic.

EDIT: Wait, those are eight. Lol. My bad. That's one option too much.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017

• Stain
  • Overhaul
  • Chronostasis
  • Re-Destro
  • Curious
  • Skeptic
  • Geten
Not enough space for Trumpet but I don't think anyone would miss him. Then again, I could probably say the same for Curious and Skeptic.

Gentle, Overhaul, Stain and ReDestro are the only four that matter.
Henchmen, sidekicks and partners can be lumped into the organization's leader.

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Gentle, Overhaul, Stain and ReDestro are the only four that matter.
Henchmen, sidekicks and partners can be lumped into the organization's leader.
That's true, but I figured since there's enough space for a few more I should add some options.

Plus, I really like Geten, heh.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

• Stain
  • Overhaul
  • Chronostasis
  • Re-Destro
  • Curious
  • Skeptic
  • Geten
I would probably switch Chronostasis for Rappa since I do remember a lot more people liking Rappa during the Overhaul arc, Trumpet guy so far is the worst MLA member so I don't think anyone would complain

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
So the movie guy is the same guy we see the back of in the panel when Shigaraki proclaims he will destroy everything?

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Anyone good and salty about this yet?
Not yet, but give it time. Bakugo triggers people

I can see Twice and Toga making it quite easily, idk about Shiggy.

Hope Hawks is still top 5. Expecting Kacchan to keep #1

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'd like to think Shigaraki and Twice will at least reach the top 10 list.

---

Merch news. They're getting Kotobukiya figures.

Pretty cool, though it's a shame it's season 1 Kirishima and Shigaraki.
I would probably switch Chronostasis for Rappa since I do remember a lot more people liking Rappa during the Overhaul arc, Trumpet guy so far is the worst MLA member so I don't think anyone would complain
Oh right, Rappa's pretty cool, a bit popular around here I think. I'll just remove Curious and Skeptic and replace them with him then. Unless anyone has other suggestions?

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Any hope for Nejire ever getting into the top 10 is low unless Hori develops her more
Anyway, hoping Todoroki gets number 1, but won't be surprised if its Bakugo

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No anime means the rankings will barely change. I do think Todoroki has a chance to hit first tho, he was second with little to no focus in early season 3.
About the rest the top 3 will be the same, hawks might fall but not much. The other positions will change but I expect the same people
Any hope for Nejire ever getting into the top 10 is low unless Hori develops her more
Anyway, hoping Todoroki gets number 1, but won't be surprised if its Bakugo
Mirio isnt even close to the top 10, Nejire has no chance

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
After six months I've finally watched the whole show from beginning to end. Is this the general consensus that S3 was the weakest? I felt a lot of the provisional licensing fights were a little boring, and nothing in the summer camp villain attack compared to the Stain or sports festival arcs from S2. That All Might vs. All For One battle was great though, and I did like - while it was a little short and cut up with too many flashbacks - the fight between Deku and Bakugo near the end. That move where he grabs Deku's shirt, spins around, then uses his flame to rocket the two of them down into the ground was dope.

I know S4 is airing in Oct is it a simuldub situation, or is there usually a gap between subbed and dubbed releases?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
After six months I've finally watched the whole show from beginning to end. Is this the general consensus that S3 was the weakest? I felt a lot of the provisional licensing fights were a little boring, and nothing in the summer camp villain attack compared to the Stain or sports festival arcs from S2. That All Might vs. All For One battle was great though, and I did like - while it was a little short and cut up with too many flashbacks - the fight between Deku and Bakugo near the end. That move where he grabs Deku's shirt, spins around, then uses his flame to rocket the two of them down into the ground was dope.

I know S4 is airing in Oct is it a simuldub situation, or is there usually a gap between subbed and dubbed releases?
Generally people seem to agree with you on S3, though I think the season's highs made up for its lulls.

The anime starts simuldubbed then goes into a week delay about halfway through, generally.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I think people say the 1st half of the season is the best, 2nd half is probably the weakest arc in the series.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Ok cool cool.

I forgot to mention, amid my (minor) S3 complaints, I am really digging the show! It is pretty tropey and hardly ever subversive of them (at least in terms of plotting; dialogue will frequently call out and dunk on that kind of stuff) but I love it; it's fun and hilarious and has some really killer action. S2 in particular I binged in about a few days. Looking forward to what S4 brings. And apparently a new movie is on the way too.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
J-Force is always an assault on the eyes, I don't know what they were thinking with that art style, I'm at a point right now where I even prefer a warriors type game then another anime arena brawler, let the genre die

"What is Dabi's true identity?" poll results
OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
2UcfpGb.png

Second poll ran for a little over one month, ending today at July 9th. The winning vote's taken a larger share than Twice did in the last poll, but only by 2.6%, although there are only 90 votes this time around. There was 100+ in the first one.

Pretty cool to see that most people follow the same theory I'm following. I still think it can be the second or third options, though I think those are very unlikely. And I don't want them to be true either, lol.

Time for a new poll, and since we're still in My Villain Academia, it'll be villain-related once more. This time, who's your favorite non-League villain? Mine is Gentle by a long mile due to him being somewhat of a Robin Hood type of villain rather than the usual superstitious and cowardly variety. His use of his quirk was also one of the more exciting ways Horikoshi's displayed power use in the series, in my opinion. I wouldn't have ever thought of using an elasticity power to turn the air into a reflective barrier, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.