• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What will Hero Society's status be after this arc?

• Hero Society is damaged, but remains standing for the most part

Votes: 32 41.0%
  • Hero Society is destroyed, forcing a major change in the status quo

Votes: 46 59.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Shiggy is totally going to dust the house.

Also why does this series have so many bad fathers? Shiggy's, Shouto's, Deku's

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Gotta say, Horikoshi is really good at drawing cute stuff. From the characters as kids/toddlers, to Eri, and now even a corgi!
Naw, Dabi's is plot relevant, I'm fine pushing that off. Besides, he's a shit.
As much as I'd love to find out the answer now, I agree. It doesn't need to be told yet just because most readers have figured it out. I'd rather it play out naturally than something forced just to sate the fans.
It does explain the hatred for heroes he has that was probably subconscious but couldn't remember
If that's actually his reason... then this is even more heartbreaking than I thought. Imagine loving heroes so much, but to have that love twisted into hate. Poor Shiggy.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Did Tenko's sister throw him under the bus with the photo thing? Did he even want to see cuz he asked her why she showed it to him

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Photos taken 5 seconds before disaster

D_Rz5wwXsAAI2TG

OP
OP
bunkitz

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
What are you guys talking about? Mon-chan is safe. She's perfectly fine and good. Nothing bad will ever happen to her.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The families in this series piss me off.

Jirou remains MVP for also having one of the few functional families in this damn universe

vigGf02.png

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
Deku is lucky that he has best mom and Dad Might on his side

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, that was a painful chapter.

It's been a while since i've actually felt this way with a manga, specially how Dull major series have been lately (like OP :s).

This was really, really well done.

Sooooo... the question is, Nana went to fight AfO... so she lost and the guy tracked the family?

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018

This year's 33rd issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine revealed on Saturday that Yōkō Akiyama (Saguri-chan Tankentai) will launch a spinoff manga of Kōhei Horikoshi's My Hero Academia manga, titled My Hero Academia: Team Up Mission.

The manga will get a prologue chapter in the Summer Volume 2 issue of Shueisha's Jump Giga magazine on July 25, and then the manga will start its serialization in the September issue of Shueisha's Saikyō Jumpmagazine on August 2. The new spinoff manga is commemorating the fifth anniversary of the main manga.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Vigilantes 57

Holy shit. Great art for once and Knuckleduster is so damn hardcore. If you aren't caught up, this is a great time to do so.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
5 years of MHA y'all! Can't believe it's been that long. I've been reading since mid 2015, absolutely in my top 5 shonen. Anyway...

tenor.gif

(Me ready to see villains clash but realizing we're getting another sad Shiggy flashback with a dog added)

Geez. I swear every time Hori gives Shiggy's backstory some shine he adds a new layer of tragedy to it. I mean, come on dawg 😎
Shigaraki bout to be like the boy John Wick. Already John Wick'd his family. Tsk tsk.

Speaking of his family and what happened to them, lots of new info this chapter. Nana's son is an asshole, huh? I get not wanting to talk about heroes given what happened to his mom, but he lives in a society...of heroes. What did he expect? Going off the top on your son is just that extra layer of sauce. He takes half of the blame. The other half goes to AfO.

Now hear me out guys! We know most people develop quirks around age 4, and Shigaraki is 5 in his flashbacks. While it's very likely he could just be a late bloomer...what if it's more to it? What if Nana was right and AfO never stopped trying to find her son? What if he found him after her son had already started a family?

It would be child's play to watch the family and play them against each other. Once deciding young Tomura would be the easiest to seduce to the dark side, he gives him a quirk and hangs back, letting the chaos unfolds. Then he swoops in later like...
tenor.gif

He also could've targeted Shigaraki's sister too, but decided on him because he was more unstable. A bit of a long shot, yeah, but I can't shake the feeling AfO is more responsible for the tragedy than Hori lets on.

-The rest of Shigaraki's family is lovely. The brother sister Hero duo is all kinds of cute and his mom seemed very kind as well.
-Destro, y'all. He's like the green goblin but black. Dark Goblin

While I was a bit bummed the fight got sidelined for what looks to be at least a 2 part flashback, the Origin chapters are some of my favorites in the series. Iirc, this is the first origin chapter we've gotten for a villain, yeah?

Is Hori gonna swerve us and spare the dog? How will All Might factor in? How many more times must Dabi's backstory get skipped?!?!? Find out next time on My Hero(Villain) Academia!
——————————————
Dude, Bunkitz, have you heard about Teppen? It's a card game with Capcom characters. Hearthstone is its closest comparison, but it has this awesome ATB system out of an RPG almost. I'm addicted. Using an X Charge Shot deck. The music is amazing. The remix to X's Sky Lagoon stage...godlike

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Baby shiggy looks like Deku
Also very tense chapter, the beating and the Nana parts crushed me
Not sure why we suddenly got a full fledged flashback here. This is the Kirishima fight all over again lol
No it isnt, Kirishima's flashback was in the middle of action this one is just after the battle was interrupted by Giganto

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
No it isnt, Kirishima's flashback was in the middle of action this one is just after the battle was interrupted by Giganto

Except this chapter has him ignore/unable to hear Skeptic and go straight back to fighting Shiggy, only to then be suddenly be interrupted by a flashback.

Anyways, point is, it's odd timing.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Without spoiling too much.
The Kimetsu No Yaiba anime was going to slow for me so ive binged the Manga.

These "feel sorry for the villain" flashbacks are actually amazing when pulled off well.
A good number of Kimetsus major villains have had such sad back stories that I end up feeling sorry for them and actually hating the true big bad(because so far he is just a bad guy)

While the flashback was touching, Kimetsu has had better so it didnt touch me anywhere near as much as im sure it touched some of you.....these villains arent people i can feel for not after reading about Akaza, Daki and even Kyogai.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Except this chapter has him ignore/unable to hear Skeptic and go straight back to fighting Shiggy, only to then be suddenly be interrupted by a flashback.

Anyways, point is, it's odd timing.
I disagree, for me what was odd in the kirishima battle was that it interrupted the action, in this chapter it happenned before the action restarted
Without spoiling too much.
The Kimetsu No Yaiba anime was going to slow for me so ive binged the Manga.

These "feel sorry for the villain" flashbacks are actually amazing when pulled off well.
A good number of Kimetsus major villains have had such sad back stories that I end up feeling sorry for them and actually hating the true big bad(because so far he is just a bad guy)

While the flashback was touching, Kimetsu has had better so it didnt touch me anywhere near as much as im sure it touched some of you.....these villains arent people i can feel for not after reading about Akaza, Daki and even Kyogai.
Those aren't "feel sorry for the villain" tho, those serve to explain their motivations and why they ended up like that
Also pretty weird comparison, there isnt a competition to see who has sadder backstories. In fact I have a problem with th escalation of sad backstories that some shonen manga like to do.

Last edited:

AoM

Oct 31, 2017
You get a tragic backstory!

And you get a tragic backstory!

And you get a tragic backstory!

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Bakugo backstory being just about him looking up to All Might is so refreshing, really glad that Horikoshi didn go down the route of making every major character have a screwed up chidhood. Same thing with AFO

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Bakugo backstory being just about him looking up to All Might is so refreshing, really glad that Horikoshi didn go down the route of making every major character have a screwed up chidhood.
I wouldn't really say any of the heroes have a tragic pass actually, when you compare both sides the Heroes mainly have trivial things happening to them

Oct 25, 2017
Vigilantes 57

Incredible Knuckleduster, slowly becoming a fan, was always afraid hes stealing Koichi screentime.

First time an old man has done anything close to something cool in a manga/

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Okay the Viz translations are totally different, when Shigaraki response to ReDestro there it sounds like he could still change motives, on mangastreams and jaiminis it sounded more like all he want is still to destroy

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Glad to hear you're enjoying it! So far we've had two arcs that didn't focus on Deku and co. and I've really enjoyed them both a lot. I feel the same way about Toga and Twice, it was really exciting seeing them "power up" like that, especially Twice. Sad Man's Parade is definitely one of the highlights of the arc for me. I was worried they''d just suddenly drop the problem of Twice's doubles fighting over who's the original, so I was relieved to see it briefly brought up when they were confronting Re-Destro.

I believe the common opinion on the MLA is... disappointment? Aside from Re-Destro (and Geten for me) the other members haven't been that interesting. Personally, I'm okay with them, though I do wish Curious stayed around a bit longer. I'm looking forward to seeing Twice vs. err, I keep forgetting his name. Skeptic! Yeah, it's cool that they both essentially make clones but there's a big contrast in that the former's clones are alive and have their own sense of self while the latter's are lifeless.

Disappointment on the MLA members aside, most of us here have been enjoying it! It's annoying that Dabi's story just keeps getting teased though, lol.

The Shigaraki stuff has been great, and his power up's pretty fucking cool. I like that we're seeing the results of his "training" with Gigantomachia like this. Speaking of which, I'm really curious how things are gonna turn out now that the big guy's at the edge of the town.
Yeah the clones still being competitive is a cool aspect to keep around.
I like Geten too brother. And yeah the contrast between Twice's and Skeptic's quirks is interesting. I almost always like fights between folks with similar abilities with some key differences. And here the difference may help Twice have a newfound appreciation for the way his quirk works, as opposed to an alternative he might've preferred in the past which is now put in front of him.

Damn, I definitely feel bad for Shiggy now.
For real. At some point, Shiggy's narration implies what he wanted to hear from the grown ups in his life was what Deku wanted to hear as a kid from his mother and later got from All Might so I was like "Oh damn...", then his sister comes in like "we can be heroes" which had me smiling and then she hits him with that double-cross. Too sad.

Poor dog too.

Vigilantes 57

Holy shit. Great art for once and Knuckleduster is so damn hardcore. If you aren't caught up, this is a great time to do so.
Yes, fantastic chapter. Knuckelduster always manages to come off as savage and also really clever in his fights which is really fun to see. That double page spread was too good.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright color page, was sure I've seen these outfits and such many times before this so was expecting something new.

Good Kami position, Kiri couldbe more forward. Endeavor getting on it was awesome.

Kid Shigs is precious. Aw one of the best chapters ever.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am seeing a lot of hate(maybe hate is a strong word it more like heavy criticism) for haba for what she did with Shigaraki
I am not sure what she was supposed to do in that situation, if she told the truth she would be the one being beaten and she was clearly afraid.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
I am seeing a lot of hate(maybe hate is a strong word it more like heavy criticism) for haba for what she did with Shigaraki
I am not sure what she was supposed to do in that situation, if she told the truth she would be the one being beaten and she was clearly afraid.
This is where I stand as well, can't put much blame on a like six year old girl not wanting to get hit by her abusive father

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Still she's a weird character. I thought from earlier Flashbacks that she acually cared about him, isn't she like the first major family member he remembered in this fight?

I mean she's still a kid, but something seems so off. Like if you knew your father was an abusive pos, would you set up your brother? It's far more serious than child's play i feel.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Still she's a weird character. I thought from earlier Flashbacks that she acually cared about him, isn't she like the first major family member he remembered in this fight?

I mean she's still a kid, but something seems so off. Like if you knew your father was an abusive pos, would you set up your brother? It's far more serious than child's play i feel.
She obviously didn't set him up, she thought she was clever and got caught and got scared because her dad is an obvious asshole and she's not even 10

I don't think it's really complicated but Shigiraki probably felt betrayed and it's why hates everything

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

It wasn't a setup, the dad most likely found out someone was in his room and open up the drawer, the dad is abusive but from the family's reaction that time was him at his worst so I don't think she expected him to go as far as he did that time
Been thinking on it, and now I'm 100% sure.

That dog is actually All for One in disguise.

Think about it.
That panel where they're playing fetch the dog (AFO) obviously gave him his quirk

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
wait, what's totally different?
Shigaraki's talk with ReDestro

MOD EDIT: Please refrain from mentioning or naming unofficial sources.
Viz: "No future huh? Nah I don't want that either".

Viz also says "all I can do is destroy" as opposed to "all I truly want to do is destroy" that other translations have

All this makes it more likely that Shigaraki will have a change of motives, the other translations make it seem like he is going to stay the way he is forever

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.