• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Friendly Wager: Will the UA mole/traitor's identity be revealed in 2020?
Yes/No

TEAM YES
Kewlmyc (Denki Kaminari)
Good thing we weren't betting on WHO the traitor was, or I would have already lost (probably).

bq5qHr5.png

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Bakugo in my mind is basically just DBZA Vegeta.

He's a loudmouth and an asshole, but whatever, it's entertaining to watch him do his thing, and his gradual character growth is always nice to see.

Vegeta later is way less asshole. Bakugou keeps being insufferable all the chapters he's in.

The character is terrible. In any normal real-life group someone like bakugou would be immediately kicked out for being an overall rude piece of shit. Nobody would stand him. But here he gets his own fanclub on deku, kirishima, kaminari, etc.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Vegeta later is way less asshole. Bakugou keeps being insufferable all the chapters he's in.

The character is terrible. In any normal real-life group someone like bakugou would be immediately kicked out for being an overall rude piece of shit. Nobody would stand him. But here he gets his own fanclub on deku, kirishima, kaminari, etc.
Yeah, Deku licking his boots is awful
Also, Vegeta suffers due to his arrogance and is humbled so much
Bakugo...not so much

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018

Suspension of Disbelief

I agree that the writing surrounding him could be much better (especially with Deku) but Bakugo's incremental character growth keeps me from disliking him.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Thats another frustrating thing about Bakugo. When he isn't a dickhead, he's insightful. He could be a much better character while retaining his grumpiness but he's just 100% awful whenever he's "on". He's an asshole 99% of the time and its not worth trudging through the shit to get to the nuggets of wisdom.

Gimme a movie focused on Kendo and Setsuna

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
Maybe the time will come where Bakugo will realize that it would be impossible for him to become the number one hero with his attitude. Endeavor is a testament to that fact.

DragonSJG
The term 'bootlicker' doesn't fit the dynamic at all. Deku and All Might tolerate Bakugo's bullshit much more than they should, but Deku is still 100% committed to beating Bakugo. We've seen it in their fights and we'll no doubt see it again if they ever have another sports festival fight.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Maybe the time will come where Bakugo will realize that it would be impossible for him to become the number one hero with his attitude. Endeavor is a testament to that fact.

DragonSJG
The term 'bootlicker' doesn't fit the dynamic at all. Deku and All Might tolerate Bakugo's bullshit much more than they should, but Deku is still 100% committed to beating Bakugo. We've seen it in their fights and we'll no doubt see it again if they ever have another sports festival fight.
I mean Deku is always praising him no matter what and never really calls him out
Vegeta has a body count...
In a world where death has no consequence

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Suspension of Disbelief

I agree that the writing surrounding him could be much better (especially with Deku) but Bakugo's incremental character growth keeps me from disliking him.

Character growth that's so obnoxious. Guy is unable to express ideas without insulting or yelling. It's so over the top. Like the stuff with the band, or the talks with all might and Deku...

I feel after the tag team fight vs All Might or the second fight with Deku the character should've recieved a major overhaul on his approach with people. Damn they even saved the guy from the #1 villain but he keeps the trash attitude...

You know what, Shokugeki no Soma did Bakugou better than MHA. Soma has the skill and knows he's talented af. He also isn't afraid of mentioning it or rubbing it on other people's faces, it happens at the beginning and with most of the antagonists. However, the character isn't obnoxious or takes you out of the whole world because it's able to feel empathy, change, adapt, be friendly too or be more shonen-like. His friendships and relationships feel earned at the end of the day. And he doesn't loses that edge or that "conflict maker" attitude throughout.

Last edited:

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

Vegeta's arc is also done. Dude didn't redeem himself until he blew up. Vegeta was way more of an asshole than Bakugo ever was
Vegeta has a body count...
This is the thing that gets me. The way people talk about Bakugo you'd think he's a lot worse than he actually is. I also don't get why people act like Bakugo never suffers for his actions. Are we forgetting he failed the provisional license exam because of his abrasiveness or his outburst during Deku round 2?

I don't get how Vegeta has done so much worse, acts nearly the same as Bakugo and everyone loves him yet Bakugo who is clearly gonna end up in similar position when the story is over is hated...

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
I mean Deku is always praising him no matter what and never really calls him out
So what? I already said in my post that deku tolerates his bullshit too much. But my post went on to say that it doesn't matter much because Deku is assertive when it comes to mastering OfA and beating Bakugo to become the number 1 hero.
tumblr_inline_pjla66ryJT1qg21e9_1280.png

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
So what? I already said in my post that deku tolerates his bullshit too much. But my post went on to say that it doesn't matter much because Deku is assertive when it comes to mastering OfA and beating Bakugo to become the number 1 hero.
This exact same interaction could happen with Vegeta/Goku and no one would bat an eye

Bakugo does it and he's the worst ever
So because the dragon balls can bring you back Vegeta murdering people isn't as bad as Bakugo being loud and obnoxious?

Idk man, give me the guy who's loud over the loud murderer any day

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I still believe Bakugo is one of the better characters in the series, but eh, context is everything as far as why people like Vegeta far more.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
I still believe Bakugo is one of the better characters in the series, but eh, context is everything as far as why people like Vegeta far more.
Context being people still being(rightfully) angry at Bakugo telling Deku to kill himself. Yes that was a terrible moment and he needs to apologize but actually killing people is still worse. MHA being more realistic I don't think negates that fact

I get why people would dislike Bakugo, I really do, but sometimes it feels way too hostile when compared against his actual actions in the series and what we have learned about him thus far.

Oct 25, 2017
For the ppl that visit other forums for mha Do the fandom at large not like Bakugo this much? I feel like we do this faithfully once a week
Context being people still being(rightfully) angry at Bakugo telling Deku to kill himself. Yes that was a terrible moment and he needs to apologize but actually killing people is still worse. MHA being more realistic I don't think negates that fact

I get why people would dislike Bakugo, I really do, but sometimes it feels way too hostile when compared against his actual actions in the series and what we have learned about him thus far.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

He gets too much screentime yelling and saying shit. It's exhausting for the readers and takes you out of the mha world a lot. I'd give that time to other, underdeveloped characters, or even Todoroki or Uraraka.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
This exact same interaction could happen with Vegeta/Goku and no one would bat an eye

Bakugo does it and he's the worst ever

So because the dragon balls can bring you back Vegeta murdering people isn't as bad as Bakugo being loud and obnoxious?

Idk man, give me the guy who's loud over the loud murderer any day
I didn't say it wasn't as bad but I mean come on, in dragonball, death is not taken seriously and Vegeta has had huge character growth since then

Bakugo's been kinda flanderized

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
He gets too much screentime yelling and saying shit. It's exhausting for the readers and takes you out of the mha world a lot. I'd give that time to other, underdeveloped characters, or even Todoroki or Uraraka.
I didn't say it wasn't as bad but I mean come on, in dragonball, death is not taken seriously and Vegeta has had huge character growth since then

Bakugo's been kinda flanderized
Difference of opinion. Until lately Bakugo's antics never took me out of the story. Dudes the main reason I read this series

I will admit he has been flanderized lately, and I'm not a fan of what Hori did with him last arc

Also, Vegeta has the benefit of the main manga being done. Bakugo has and is having character growth

When Vegeta was killing oodles of people he didn't think of wishing them back with the Dragon balls. I'd still say it's pretty bad

Death means nothing in comics either, you still don't want to die

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I mean the issue is that Deku is still passive. Yes he wants to beat him, but its in a friendly way. Like Mirio and Tamaki are best friends and friendly rivals and Deku is going about it like that

Doesn't negate that outside of that, Bakugo can say whatever he wants and Deku will just turn the other cheek or still worship him

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Well I said likable, not which is morally superior. It's not just MHA being more realistic, there's a bunch of reasons I could list, but I don't really wanna go down this road again lol

It's not even that big a deal if some hate him or feels he's flanderized, as he's still very much the most popular character in the series.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
...If you're associated with Goku in some way. All of those worlds Vegeta blew up before meeting Goku are still gone.

I just fine the comparisons of Bakugo, a bratty middle school bully, to a planet destroying mass murderer to just be funny.

Hell, even Sasuke comparisons fall flat for me.

I don't get how Vegeta has done so much worse, acts nearly the same as Bakugo and everyone loves him yet Bakugo who is clearly gonna end up in similar position when the story is over is hated...
As I like both, Vegeta's arrogance has him constantly taking massive Ls throughout the series. Also after their first fight, Goku is always implied to be stronger than him at all times.

Bakugo is shown to be on par with Deku, and the worst L he takes is failing a minor test, a license exam (which he later passes), and blaming himself for All Might's retirement (which isn't his fault as it was inevitable).

I like Bakugo, but he seriously needs to take more Ls. Also, if we're going to keep this Vegeta comparison up, he needs a Bulma character that actively doesn't take his shit and put him in his place.

Instead of constantly hating bakugo let us all take this time out to appreciate two of the top 10 heroes eos
7ae6cbe1a34e4f374ec93da533a3b96752db850e_hq.gif

EnchantedSarcasticElephantseal-size_restricted.gif
Kirishima is cool. Froppy is cool in concept, but I don't really like "teacher's pet" characters.

Oct 25, 2017
...If you're associated with Goku in some way. All of those worlds Vegeta blew up before meeting Goku are still gone.

I just fine the comparisons of Bakugo, a bratty middle school bully, to a planet destroying mass murderer to just be funny.

As I like both, Vegeta's arrogance has him constantly taking massive Ls throughout the series. Also after their first fight, Goku is always implied to be stronger than him at all times.

Bakugo is shown to be on par with Deku, and the worst L he takes is failing a minor test, a license exam (which he later passes), and blaming himself for All Might's retirement (which isn't his fault as it was inevitable).

I like Bakugo, but he seriously needs to take more Ls. Also, if we're going to keep this Vegeta comparison up, he needs a Bulma character that actively doesn't take his shit and put him in his place.

Kirishima is cool. Froppy is cool in concept, but I don't really like "teacher's pet" characters.
Teachers pet characters? Did teachers pet change meanings I know I'm an old foggy but uhh

Yea Kirishima's cool
Why you like this

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017

Bakugo also hasn't had a muscular type-situation where he chooses to fight a battle which he knows he probably won't win. That would be cool to see, especially he takes a serious injury while doing so.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017
I love me some Geets but the only version of him that I actually like as a person is Super where he's basically just a huge Tsundere

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Teachers pet characters? Did teachers pet change meanings I know I'm an old foggy but uhh
How is anyone a teacher's pet when Aizawa is the teacher lol

Yeah, I guess teacher's pet is the wrong phrase I was going for. "Goody Too Shoes" would be more apt, but even that's not really what I'm trying to say.

She's the biggest stickler for rules in the class, barring Iida, and even Iida went after Stain. The whole "you'd be as bad a villains" thing really rubbed me the wrong way as well, though she did feel bad about that.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I guess teacher's pet is the wrong phrase I was going for. "Goody Too Shoes" would be more apt, but even that's not really what I'm trying to say.

She's the biggest stickler for rules in the class, barring Iida, and even Iida went after Stain. The whole "you'd be as bad a villains" thing really rubbed me the wrong way as well, though she did feel bad about that.

Yea I figured you were referencing that

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tsuyu isnt a teacher's pet, she is a big sister figure.
Yeah, I got teacher's pet wrong, always thought it meant the "stickler for school rules" kind of characters.

But I don't see her as a "big sister type". She's never really having hearts to hearts with people or give them advice, something that the "big sister" type is known for in anime.

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really call her a stickler for rules cuz of that one instance where she was worried bout losing her friends. Otherwise I don't know what archetype id put tsu under. She hasn't done much she just a cool character to me

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Instead of constantly hating bakugo let us all take this time out to appreciate two of the top 10 heroes eos
7ae6cbe1a34e4f374ec93da533a3b96752db850e_hq.gif

EnchantedSarcasticElephantseal-size_restricted.gif
Kirishima should have his own holiday

Who from Shonen would you compare him to then? Vegeta is an easy point of reference because everyone knows DBZ and they are at the end of the day similar characters personality wise

Bakugo has taken L's. Just not in combat. One thing I appreciate about Bakugo is unlike Vegeta he can back up his trash talk. But at the same time, y'all acting like the series is done lol. I'd be shocked if Bakugo didn't take at least one combat related L and become a version of the Vegeta archetype. He's slowly becoming that already. It seems fairly obvious, but I guess just to me

Camie would be the perfect Bulma for Bakugo. She's completely unfazed by him and even told him off

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't really call her a stickler for rules cuz of that one instance where she was worried bout losing her friends. Otherwise I don't know what archetype id put tsu under. She hasn't done much she just a cool character to me
Fair enough.

I don't know, it's just personal for me I guess. I get why she said that, as the manga/anime had her explain it, but it just reminds me too much of that "you'll be as bad as the villains" trope you see a lot in games, anime, comics etc that just annoys the absolute crap out of me. It just comes across as so shortsighted.

I don't hate her, she's just not that high up on the list for me in terms of 1-A classmates. She's like in the bottom 10 for me, behind all of the other girls bar Invisible Girl, because lol invisible girl.

Oct 25, 2017
Kirishima should have his own holiday

Who from Shonen would you compare him to then? Vegeta is an easy point of reference because everyone knows DBZ and they are at the end of the day similar characters personality wise

Bakugo has taken L's. Just not in combat. One thing I appreciate about Bakugo is unlike Vegeta he can back up his trash talk. But at the same time, y'all acting like the series is done lol. I'd be shocked if Bakugo didn't take at least one combat related L and become a version of the Vegeta archetype. He's slowly becoming that already. It seems fairly obvious, but I guess just to me

Camie would be the perfect Bulma for Bakugo. She's completely unfazed by him and even told him off
Red riot day. Harder day(snicker)

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Good question.

"An arrogant bully who hates on MC, but eventually buries the hatchet, and becomes a different less arrogant character?"

Thinking on it, I think Jean from Attack on Titan is a good example.

Also to your point, I want Bakugo to take more Ls because it feels like the series is constantly giving him praise at every corner. Even All Might is saying actual crap like "you've got a good friend in him" when mentioning Bakugo to Deku. I like Bakugo, but that was some nonsense.

Also of course the series isn't done yet. These are more just hopes for the future. Also it's not like we can wait until the series is over to discuss this or something.

...I see what you're doing. You think you're sly, don't ya? :P

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Red riot day. Harder day(snicker)
Lol I like the way you think

Also, you, Bunkitz and Reyes...y'all wanna make a squad for RE3's multiplayer?

I'll watch your back bros
Good question.

"An arrogant bully who hates on MC, but eventually buries the hatchet, and becomes a different less arrogant character?"

Thinking on it, I think Jean from Attack on Titan is a good example.
Jean's not a bad pick, he's got some Shikamaru in him too now that I think about it.
...I see what you're doing. You think you're sly, don't ya? :P
Lol I don't know what you're talking about sir :D
Embrace the BakuCamie

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I got teacher's pet wrong, always thought it meant the "stickler for school rules" kind of characters.

But I don't see her as a "big sister type". She's never really having hearts to hearts with people or give them advice, something that the "big sister" type is known for in anime.
She isnt the type that gives advice but the type that keeps everyone calm. She showed that at USJ and against 1B. I would say she being harsh when Bakugo was kidnapped was also she trying to calm people.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Kirishima is awesome. My 2nd fave. He's ma boi

And on Bakugo, compared to others, he hasn't taken too many L'S. I agree, a Bulma like character is needed for him

Oct 25, 2017
Lol I like the way you think

Also, you, Bunkitz and Reyes...y'all wanna make a squad for RE3's multiplayer?

I'll watch your back bros

Jean's not a bad pick, he's got some Shikamaru in him too now that I think about it.

Lol I don't know what you're talking about sir :D
Embrace the BakuCamie
Well you see my multiplayer ways I don't need my back watched I do all the carrying ask Silfer 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.