• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Season?

• Season 1

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Season 2

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Season 3

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Now that the arc is finally over, and next episode is the epilogue and setup for the next (good) arc...

This arc sucked, it sucked on the manga, and Bones somehow made it worse. It felt like filler, and not a good filler, something Naruto levels of filler.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
It baffles me that they had so much time to change/improve this arc, especially pacing wise and they just didn't. That movie better be a 10/10.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Riiight. Something felt off about this shot. I don't mind it much, but it's so sad seeing the huge difference. The original had so much personality.

Real talk, this just feels like nitpicking at this point. The anime has never been a panel for panel recreation of the manga (which usually works for the better, especially in action shots), so I'm not sure why people keep expecting that. The Compass bow happens in another shot in the anime.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
GIF.gif

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
It baffles me that they had so much time to change/improve this arc, especially pacing wise and they just didn't. That movie better be a 10/10.
They had more time from before the season started but there was still a schedule, during the time these episodes were being made they were understaffed, and even though it may look like they had more time, there are still deadlines for how long they can work on a certain episode

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Real talk, this just feels like nitpicking at this point. The anime has never been a panel for panel recreation of the manga (which usually works for the better, especially in action shots), so I'm not sure why people keep expecting that. The Compass bow happens in another shot in the anime.
The problem isn't so much that it isn't a panel for panel recreation, but more that the anime is just lacking the impact and personality that scene had in the manga. Which becomes especially noticeable when comparing scenes that actually are recreations of the panels. In this case, the scene actually would be better if it was entirely a panel for panel recreation cause the way the anime frames the scene is just boring.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like Mirio will be alright eventually.

I thought the whole Shigaraki scene in the road was pretty cool and interesting, not boring at all, but then again I don't know what we're missing from the manga.

Last edited:

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
A lot of people who read the manga have a lot of love for Hori's art when he's at his best since he's really freaking good at drawing when his hand isn't about to fall off.I can see the issues going from that to seeing how the scenes have been altered into an animated form though.

This Compress bit you mentioned seems valid to me though, his bow in the anime looks like it was toward the police and not the chaos of the explosion. It's a small change that someone could read in an entirely different way. Of course adaptations always do this as it's an inevitability of it but people liking one over the other over small things like this seems reasonable and also inevitable.

Also in the manga Shiggy kills the driver straight up, here he just grabs the wheel. I wonder why that change was made.

Last edited:

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I didn't want to start a new thread so I'm going to attempt to share this here.

I am on my third attempt of watching MHA and halfway through Season 3 I have to say- I am astonished by the dramatic boost in quality storytelling and character development. I also finally feel something that I felt was lacking in Season 1 and especially Season 2:

Tension.

What I liked then: How Deku is introduced, how he navigates his lack of quirk through sheer intellect and determination. I loved All Might as a character who felt fully realized and the world was a joy to uncover. In Season 2 I really loved Todoroki's backstory and fight sequences.

What I didn't like then: when everyone survived the first attack, the sense of danger felt slightly diminished. Stain in Season 2 was promising at first glance but felt muddled, unfocused and ultimately very, very unsatisfying as a threat. I also hate Bakugo and his 1 dimensional characterization of always hating Deku, always screaming and always being angry. I had a lot of people hype him up to me but he's a nothing character. Also fuck Mineta. Every scene with him is torture and I understand why some people straight up quit the series over this character.

Why I like it now: Years later I went back to Season 2 and really enjoyed the battles between student and teacher. It was a good way of further expanding upon the other classmates in a really fun and engaging way. Reminds of falling of love with the expanded cast if Naruto. The season 3 arc in the summer camp was the first time I felt a sense of momentum in the story. I legit stayed up until 4am one night just hitting "omg next episode" over and over again. Learning more about the classmates and fearing for their safety was something that I never expected. I also really appreciate how "human" some of the conversations become. The exchange between Deku's mother and All-Might or Tsu trying to her classmates how she feels about everything. Most shown skip over this kind of stuff and I appreciate that MHA is relishing it.

What I'm concerned about: ok here are some things that I would appreciate some reassurance on, maybe someone can address without direct spoilers.

- Mineta is getting worse, not better. We're getting into sexual assault territory here and the excessive drooling while trying to spy or grope or stalk is really bothering me. Does this ever get better on any level?

- Bakugo. Maybe the manga is better at this but the show keeps giving you tiny hints that suggest we may finally get to know him. His line to Deku "stay back" almost hints at concern, we see his parents, we get a flashback of him adoring All Might and then we see a suggestion of character evolution after the rooftop fight.

Up until now however, his story has gotten closer and closer to being a retelling of Sasuke's arc in part one. I kept hoping the series would throw a curve ball but it only got worse. Many shonen have a "rival" character, a Vegeta, but this is very similar to the Sasuke retreival arc down to the villain's actions, their motivations and Deku & CO's reaction. Only it's worse because while Sasuke started to slowly bond with Naruto and eventually tried to die to save his life, Deku and Bakugo have no visible friendship to speak of. We just know that Deku thinks of him as a friend.

Please please tell me that this is going somewhere else and that we'll finally get some level of character development within Bakugo.

I do not want to see him "decide" to join the villain's and then face Deku in another fight "as a bad guy". So far the series is so much more promising than that.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017

I am on my third attempt of watching MHA and halfway through Season 3 I have to say- I am astonished by the dramatic boost in quality storytelling and character development. I also finally feel something that I felt was lacking in Season 1 and especially Season 2:

Tension.

What I liked then: How Deku is introduced, how he navigates his lack of quirk through sheer intellect and determination. I loved All Might as a character who felt fully realized and the world was a joy to uncover. In Season 2 I really loved Todoroki's backstory and fight sequences.

What I didn't like then: when everyone survived the first attack, the sense of danger felt slightly diminished. Stain in Season 2 was promising at first glance but felt muddled, unfocused and ultimately very, very unsatisfying as a threat. I also hate Bakugo and his 1 dimensional characterization of always hating Deku, always screaming and always being angry. I had a lot of people hype him up to me but he's a nothing character. Also fuck Mineta. Every scene with him is torture and I understand why some people straight up quit the series over this character.

Why I like it now: Years later I went back to Season 2 and really enjoyed the battles between student and teacher. It was a good way of further expanding upon the other classmates in a really fun and engaging way. Reminds of falling of love with the expanded cast if Naruto. The season 3 arc in the summer camp was the first time I felt a sense of momentum in the story. I legit stayed up until 4am one night just hitting "omg next episode" over and over again. Learning more about the classmates and fearing for their safety was something that I never expected. I also really appreciate how "human" some of the conversations become. The exchange between Deku's mother and All-Might or Tsu trying to her classmates how she feels about everything. Most shown skip over this kind of stuff and I appreciate that MHA is relishing it.

What I'm concerned about: ok here are some things that I would appreciate some reassurance on, maybe someone can address without direct spoilers.

- Mineta is getting worse, not better. We're getting into sexual assault territory here and the excessive drooling while trying to spy or grope or stalk is really bothering me. Does this ever get better on any level?

- Bakugo. Maybe the manga is better at this but the show keeps giving you tiny hints that suggest we may finally get to know him. His line to Deku "stay back" almost hints at concern, we see his parents, we get a flashback of him adoring All Might and then we see a suggestion of character evolution after the rooftop fight.

Up until now however, his story has gotten closer and closer to being a retelling of Sasuke's arc in part one. I kept hoping the series would throw a curve ball but it only got worse. Many shonen have a "rival" character, a Vegeta, but this is very similar to the Sasuke retreival arc down to the villain's actions, their motivations and Deku & CO's reaction. Only it's worse because while Sasuke started to slowly bond with Naruto and eventually tried to die to save his life, Deku and Bakugo have no visible friendship to speak of. We just know that Deku thinks of him as a friend.

Please please tell me that this is going somewhere else and that we'll finally get some level of character development within Bakugo.

I do not want to see him "decide" to join the villain's and then face Deku in another fight "as a bad guy". So far the series is so much more promising than that.

Just continue watching lol. I'll let Bakugo do the talking.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

Tension.

I'm glad you're enjoying the series. Bakugo is actually my favorite character, and it's largely because of what happens in Season 3.

Keep watching. Bakugo is more Vegeta than Sasuke.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Bet Overhaul wishes he did more than stroll down that hallway. Really liked that highway scene. Shigaraki is actually growing on me, and I never thought that would happen. It seriously feels like Horikoshi introduced the Hassaikai just to deliberately be shit compared to the LOV.

Nighteye scene was pretty well done, its just a pity I never warmed up to him. He's introduced, given a superficial character quirk that's rarely brought up again, moves the plot along, dies. Mirio dying would have made more of an impact.

And we get to see the rest of the class next week. I've missed them.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
My jaw dropped when I was watching what Shigaraki had planned unfold. Holy shit. He played Overhaul so hard and just utterly ruined him in the end. That scene actually made me start to like Shigaraki as a villain.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
My jaw dropped when I was watching what Shigaraki had planned unfold. Holy shit. He played Overhaul so hard and just utterly ruined him in the end. That scene actually made me start to like Shigaraki as a villain.

Yeah the anime/manga does a good job of simultaneously showing the growth of both Class 1 - A and the League of Villains. Its a nice twist of the villains not already being a beyond grand end villains the Heroes have to overcome, they started as minor crimes and essentially drop kicks now you hear Dabi is just leaving charred corpses everywhere...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Tension.

Bakugou's slow burn character development wise is a deliberate choice.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it was always obvious that the point of Shigaraki was that he was a villain who was in the process of growing in the same way the main characters were. But yeah this was definitely one of his first really huge moments

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
My only issue is probably how they somehow made this scene even lamer:

Like, I wouldn't have minded it if they didn't have Uravity say "Gunhead Martial Arts!" (the manga had her not say anything) because it gives me the impression that she's not owning her own skills and techniques? Like, yes, you learned that from Gunhead but that's martial arts and it doesn't necessarily belong to any one person and you're supposed to make it your own and... I don't know, it's a minor thing, but it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
If anything her saying that unlike the manga makes it kind of cheesy because all she does is holding down an unconscious guy, regardless I still don't know what was the point of Ochako and Tsuyu in this arc since they did nothing remarkable you could even remove them and nothing would change, in fact the girls team didn't have any focus unlike the men (even Rock Lock got something)

Last edited:

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I feel bad for Uraraka and Tsu. They actually showed up in this arc, so tell me why it feels like they got as much out of it as Todoroki and Bakugo?

Loved Kirishima. Also loved how Mirio kicked ass without his quirk.I want Eri to grow up and live a normal life with her new dad Aizawa.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
I get that Overhaul wants to payback the Hassakai boss for taking him in but he's such a sociopath he totally messes it up

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode. The League of Villains scene was awesome villain one-upsmanship. The Nighteye death scene was sad, but part of me was thinking "oh thank god they actually killed him, it would be insane if he lived through that". I started to notice that heroes in this show don't die, so I kinda expected them to somehow save Sir Nighteye. I don't want heroes dying left and right, but it's good to see they aren't immortal. One of the reasons I like the show so much is how "upbeat" it can be. Upbeat isn't the right word, I suppose it's more hopeful? The heroes are all heroes and actually saving lives and it just feels good. I don't want this story to get insanely dark. Maybe more anime is like this, but the stories I generally consume aren't so it's a nice change of pace for me. There's enough negativity elsewhere, I like that My Hero helps me escape that for a bit.

Speaking of negativity, be honest ya'll, is it just this arc or is this thread always filled with people who read the manga just complaining about the anime? I recognize I didn't have the same experience as most of you, I just caught up to the show and only had to wait a week between episodes for the last 3, maybe that makes this arc more tolerable but man oh man, each week I come here to read people's impressions and they are almost overwhelmingly negative. Hell, this week people were just nitpicking small lines that weren't in the show but were in the manga. I don't expect to agree with everyone's opinion on things, but it just feels coming into this thread that all I see is complaints. Has it always been like this? Or is it just this arc (which I loved, by the way. Won't top the first half of Season 3 for me, but it's probably my number 3 arc so far)?

Oct 25, 2017
Another great episode. The League of Villains scene was awesome villain one-upsmanship. The Nighteye death scene was sad, but part of me was thinking "oh thank god they actually killed him, it would be insane if he lived through that". I started to notice that heroes in this show don't die, so I kinda expected them to somehow save Sir Nighteye. I don't want heroes dying left and right, but it's good to see they aren't immortal. One of the reasons I like the show so much is how "upbeat" it can be. Upbeat isn't the right word, I suppose it's more hopeful? The heroes are all heroes and actually saving lives and it just feels good. I don't want this story to get insanely dark. Maybe more anime is like this, but the stories I generally consume aren't so it's a nice change of pace for me. There's enough negativity elsewhere, I like that My Hero helps me escape that for a bit.

Speaking of negativity, be honest ya'll, is it just this arc or is this thread always filled with people who read the manga just complaining about the anime? I recognize I didn't have the same experience as most of you, I just caught up to the show and only had to wait a week between episodes for the last 3, maybe that makes this arc more tolerable but man oh man, each week I come here to read people's impressions and they are almost overwhelmingly negative. Hell, this week people were just nitpicking small lines that weren't in the show but were in the manga. I don't expect to agree with everyone's opinion on things, but it just feels coming into this thread that all I see is complaints. Has it always been like this? Or is it just this arc (which I loved, by the way. Won't top the first half of Season 3 for me, but it's probably my number 3 arc so far)?
It's an unfortunate combination of the new director for the series being below average and the arc itself being below average.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Man Chisaki got messed up bad. It was kind of hard to follow the fight that preceded it, did the magic guy trap the sand hero in his bubble with the flames?

Anime-only watcher here and I loved the arc.

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see Shigaraki finally do something since threatening Deku in season 1. Overhaul got played like a god damn fiddle. Also nice to see someone die after sustaining life ending injuries, unlike what happened with Best Jeanist awhile back. Sorry it had to be Nighteye though. Feels like he died too early to me. There was more of an emotional punch due to how Mirio reacted instead of how the death played out itself.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion

Thanks for your impressions! I think it's just this arc people are being negative on

I certainly hope so.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Bet Overhaul wishes he did more than stroll down that hallway. Really liked that highway scene. Shigaraki is actually growing on me, and I never thought that would happen. It seriously feels like Horikoshi introduced the Hassaikai just to deliberately be shit compared to the LOV.
Except LoV also sucks. This series has a serious rogues gallery problem.

Boat Times

Made the Grade
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, let's be honest all. Stain and All for One and presumably people like Muscular etc are all in My Hero's version of Arkham Aslyum, right? You know at some point they are gonna be released. They'll be back.

Also, changing topics, presumably next week is a new opening/outro. Just wanna pour one out for one of the greatest My Hero outros that we will no longer experience. RIP "About a Voyage". You got me more hyped then the opening song.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit, well now I felt bad for Chisaki. I assume he realized that he now can't heal the boss anymore.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The half of that one episode that focused on Twice and his origins is still one of the best segments in the entire show for me. It had a noir feel to it that I was really into, and an internal monologue and perspective that was much more interesting than the recurring "I wanna be the best at saving people."

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Except LoV also sucks. This series has a serious rogues gallery problem.
I'm not their biggest fan either after their first introduction, but I loved Toga and Twice hamming it up this arc, and seeing Shigaraki actually do something competent was refreshing after several episodes of Overhaul walking down a corridor whilst some boring underlings fight our side characters.

And if they do get the development people are teasing, then I'll happily sit back and enjoy the ride if its as interesting as that highway scene.

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
By far the best episode so far this season - basically because of the LoV scene. Show is so much stronger with them IMHO.

Oct 25, 2017
behind cause life pokemon sword and teaching interview but that means I can watch the episodes back to back.

Infinite 100% {EngDub}

I thought the insert song should have just extended from Eri being caught by Mido to the major fighting scene, would have actually cut some of the random character lines from the others and just focused on Eri, Mido, and Chisaki, actually would have saved Chisaki's discussion of Eri's powers before he hit Mido as something post fight as he lay defeated.

--

I still pray for HeroAca NxtGeneration with Eri Kouta as the leads would be cute.