• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite Season?

• Season 1

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Season 2

Votes: 19 52.8%
  • Season 3

Votes: 15 41.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact for anime viewers, Bubble Girl was designed by a fan who won a hero design contest.

Thats cool but being a fan designed character probably means her role is really minor

Solid episode.

Not a fan of Overhaul's quirk seems similiar to Shigaraki in that it is another potential one touch kill quirk

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, the best part was hearing Overhaul theme song

source.gif
Gangsta beat befitting that of the Yakuza.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno, I don't think anything about Bubble Girl looks that different from how Hori would draw characters, especially since there's a decent chance he adapted elements of the fan design to suit his style. It's basically a mish-mash of Ochako's costume and Momo's.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Also for people who dislike Bubble Girl's design, reminder that won the contest, imagine how bad the other designs were.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Episode started off crazy strong, Overhaul looks ridiculous and the Magne thing completely caught me off guard.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally I'm more bothered by the Magne scene than the Bubble Girl scene. I mean, don't get me wrong, Bubble Girl's design is bad (and totally is something Horikoshi would design anyway) and the scene she's in is really gross. But the Magne scene feels like a really shitty variation of the "bury your gays" trope. She's killed off literally right after the show explores how her being trans ties into her being part of the League. It's the first time a character dies in this series too. Besides that, it doesn't help that the designs of both Magne and her friend feel like trans stereotypes.

Last edited:

Hellraider

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
You know, I really appreciated the fact that someone in universe actually admitted to how ridiculously useless and a joke the league of villains has been so far. The most irritating thing about this series for me is how every single person in the academy pretends like the LoA is that crazy strong enemy only to beat their ass effortlessly five minutes later. That chuunibyo hands dude especially is the worst.

I hope the Yakuza guy actually manages to deliver at what he promises and turn the bad guys into something threatening for once.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
It should also be noted that this whole season is basically one long arc for the show.
Nah. This arc is most likely only going to take up the first cour.

What should my expectations be for this 24 ep season? Best one yet story wise, or middling/drop off?
This first arc is generally considered a slog to have gotten through in real time, but that was due to Horikoshi being sick resulting in short chapters, rough art, and more time spent on it than was strictly necessary for its contents. It's much improved read straight through after the fact and is pretty solid, IMO.

The stuff that's probably covered in the rest of is really good.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nah. This arc is most likely only going to take up the first cour.

This first arc is generally considered a slog to have gotten through in real time, but that was due to Horikoshi being sick resulting in short chapters, rough art, and more time spent on it than was strictly necessary for its contents. It's much improved read straight through after the fact and is pretty solid, IMO.

The stuff that's probably covered in the rest of is really good.

No the poster is right. Won't say more. It wont fill 24 episodes but more than 12.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Great episode! Now the arc has started in earnest! Really enjoyed that first half. Shigaraki needs to be challenged, and Overhaul is the answer. That moment where Magne dies I always considered a real game changer in the manga, and I'm curious as to what the anime onlies think of that moment. Looking back it is fucked that it was Magne who died out of everyone.

Mirio is just the best. Really liked the moment between him and Deku in All Might's office. Sir Nighteye is...well, he's faithful to the manga
That Overhaul Theme though - WHEW

Yeah that shit slaps

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't expect to see this an actual gruesome death in this show.

I'm less surprised to see another creepo character in the show unfortunately.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
I really like to see Shigaraki continue to be a parallel to Deku, with both of them training under the number 1 villain and hero respectively, and now both having a character they have to surpass this season in Overhaul and Mirio. I'm excited for this season as an anime-only.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
I should've known magnet man was about to die, the death by flashback trope effectively came into effect suddenly and hilariously.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you Overhaul for being a more threatening villain in 4 minutes than the entire League of Villains from the beginning of the series to now. Also for being interesting. And for pointing out that they're all losers.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This episode was really well done, the art was mostly excelent, the fight was good even without the need of sakuga and they even added some scenes to make it more dynamic. The last scene was specially good, they made it much more fun to watch than in the manga
Personally I'm more bothered by the Magne scene than the Bubble Girl scene. I mean, don't get me wrong, Bubble Girl's design is bad (and totally is something Horikoshi would design anyway) and the scene she's in is really gross. But the Magne scene feels like a really shitty variation of the "bury your gays" trope. She's killed off literally right after the show explores how her being trans ties into her being part of the League. It's the first time a character dies in this series too. Besides that, it doesn't help that the designs of both Magne and her friend feel like trans stereotypes.
I would agree with the feeling if Tora didn't exist, but he was treated well so far

Last edited:

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would agree with the feeling if Tora didn't exist, but he was treated well so far
The existence of another trans character (who you wouldn't know is trans unless you looked at his character bio in a manga volume) doesn't really make this scene any less shitty.

And I'm not sure if Tora is really a good example of a well treated trans character. I mean, he's a joke character who is a comically large muscular man in a woman's hero costume. He's a "look how silly female clothing looks on men" joke.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
And I'm not sure if Tora is really a good example of a good trans character. I mean, he's a joke character who is a comically large muscular man in a woman's hero costume. He's a "look how silly female clothing looks on men" joke.
I never saw his costume as a joke, just that he kept his uniform after transition, the pussycats are a team since they graduated after all.
Also I disagree that a trans character needs to be singled out loud as trans to count (i am not sure if that was what you meant tho, if it wasnt sorry)

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never saw his costume as a joke, just that he kept his uniform after transition, the pussycats are a team since they graduated after all.
Also I disagree that a trans character needs to be singled out as trans to count, specially since it never was important to his scenes.
It's pretty blatant that his costume is meant to be part of the joke. There being some explanation for him wearing it doesn't really make that better either.

And while I agree that characters should be able to be trans without it mattering to the plot, I still don't think it matters if it isn't made clear in the piece of media itself that said character is trans. It just being mentioned in a character bio isn't really any better than like, J.K. Rowling mentioning on Twitter that actually a Harry Potter character is gay.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah Magne's death is a huge bummer. The idea of the League being the only place she could find acceptance is at the very least an interesting idea. Then it just ends up being an idea created to give her character some minor level of depth before killing her off. I would've preferred to see the positions of Magne and Compress switched.

I noticed that this is the second time the show has hit upon the idea of people feeling rejected by society and finding some level of acceptance within the League. First with Twice and his mental illness and now with Magne and her being trans. Unfortunately I don't expect the show to dig much deeper into either of these ideas.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty blatant that his costume is meant to be part of the joke. There being some explanation for him wearing it doesn't really make that better either.
Well, i really dont see that as a joke on him being trans
And while I agree that characters should be able to be trans without it mattering to the plot, I still don't think it matters if it isn't made clear in the piece of media itself that said character is trans. It just being mentioned in a character bio isn't really any better than like, J.K. Rowling mentioning on Twitter that actually a Harry Potter character is gay.
I disagree because there was never the opportunity to say he is trans to begin with, we mainly saw he doing his job and very little of his personal life.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright episode, not necessarily liking Overhauls engdub VA< guess I had a different idea for how he would sound considering how other yakuza sound, but then he did say he is pretty obscure and everything.

That said.

Magne scene would have had more sympathy expressed by characters. we move on so fast. Felt like Mr Compress got more sympathy after the fact.

Shigaraki still epic as ever.

BakuTodo scene was hilarious.

Add one more to the Kaminari playing with Ojiro tail folder, cute scene.
tumblr_pzmm7c9xcL1vh0hsuo2_540.jpg

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, are we in for a Magne backstornope. Pity.
So Overhaul has a similar Quirk as Shigaraki, only with more body horror. Yeah that sounds about right.
Missing my class moments, my favorite scene was the short teethbrushing segment.
Sir Nighteye seems like he's going to get on my nerves. Don't like the sudden humour quirk being dumped onto him at the last second. Feels too much like the author gave him it because he's otherwise too one-note. We'll see next episode.

OP
OP
Tace

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
That Bakugo/Todoroki scene was pretty funny. Their personalities play off each other well, or at least make for funny interactions.

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, i really dont see that as a joke on him being trans

I disagree because there was never the opportunity to say he is trans to begin with, we mainly saw he doing his job and very little of his personal life.
Jokes that are just "men wearing female clothes" are always jokes on trans women, even if they're not meant to be the target. Tora being a trans man doesn't really change that. I don't really see why Horikoshi would make him a trans man either aside maybe for giving a lore reason to design him like that, which would be pretty bad.

And there not being an opportunity in the plot to show that he's trans wouldn't really change things here, regardless a character only being confirmed to be transgender in something like a character bio that can only be found in a volume is incredibly weak. It's not even like there wasn't an opportunity to have a moment where it's mentioned or shown somehow in the show that he's trans. I mean, Horikoshi found time in that arc to have that gross hot spring scene, there easily could have been a character moment with Tora.

That's not to say just confirming elsewhere outside of the piece of fiction that a character is trans is necessarily a bad thing, but when that's all that's done and there's nothing in it that at the very least shows, mentions, or even implies that said character is trans then I wouldn't call them good trans representation.

(Anyway I think I've pretty much said what I have to say about this stuff at this point)
Yeah Magne's death is a huge bummer. The idea of the League being the only place she could find acceptance is at the very least an interesting idea. Then it just ends up being an idea created to give her character some minor level of depth before killing her off. I would've preferred to see the positions of Magne and Compress switched.

I noticed that this is the second time the show has hit upon the idea of people feeling rejected by society and finding some level of acceptance within the League. First with Twice and his mental illness and now with Magne and her being trans. Unfortunately I don't expect the show to dig much deeper into either of these ideas.
Yeah that makes it a bit more disappointing for me. While I wouldn't trust Horikoshi to handle it well, Magne's backstory could easily be a decent basis for exploring how trans people are treated in the world. But instead he gave the female trans characters stereotypical designs and killed off Magne immediately after they explore that even a little bit so welp.

Anyway, I'm still looking forward to seeing the rest of this arc animated.

Last edited:

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That's not to say just confirming elsewhere outside of the piece of fiction that a character is trans is necessarily a bad thing, but when that's all that's done and there's nothing in it that at the very least shows, mentions, or even implies that said character is trans then I wouldn't call them good trans representation.
My issue with that is, sorry if I am misunderstanding you, it sounds like defining a trans character by the fact they are trans, when they really dont need to be like that.

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The pacing felt a bit slow on this one (although looking online it adapted a bit more than 2 chapters) but otherwise a decent start.
Overhaul seems pretty OP at this point but that's a classic anime villain introduction for you :)

Deleted member 3294

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My issue with that is, sorry if I am misunderstanding you, it sounds like defining a trans character by the fact they are trans, when they really dont need to be like that.
That's not what I'm saying at all. It can be shown that a character is trans without it being what defines them. (Edit: though not like it'd necessarily be a bad thing if being trans is a defining characteristic of someone)

Obi

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, not a great start to the season. It's super shitty that the first actual death in the show is the trans character. I liked Magne too, she had an interesting powerset and motivation for one of the villians. Also Sir Nighteye is really rubbing me the wrong way. And it seems like he's important so I guess he'll be around for awhile too.

This coming right after a recap episode has me at negative hype levels atm. Gonna keep watching to see what happens with the Big 3 though, they seem like neat characters.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
That's not what I'm saying at all. It can be shown that a character is trans without it being what defines them. (Edit: though not like it'd necessarily be a bad thing if being trans is a defining characteristic of someone)
I'm really struggling to figure out where it was an opening for that tho. Dude was dedicated to physically training the students and kids followed hos instructions , everything was kept professional by him. Maybe if we see the backstory of the whole group we will see it but I doubt it would ever come up in his interactions with the students because I'm not sure there is a way to ask about that without looking atupid as fuck .

And im also not sure dudes in a dress is a dig at trans people if only because I know Japan crisscrossing is way more common in thier media and real life than it is here and like I know crossdressers who are family men who just likw to dress up so ots weird for me to hear you say that

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I like that even though Mirio was born with a Quirk, it's so unwieldy that he has to train extremely hard to be able to use it, just like Deku and One for All.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Magne's death was one of the things I knew about beforehand (and there's just one more spoiler I know, thankfully) and I was dreading it. They tried to shoehorn in some backstory at the last second to make it seem more "meaningful" but it still came off really gross. Queer characters are not death/shock fodder and it's extremely disappointing that they went through with it in the anime the way they did. I was hoping they'd make up for what they did in the manga.

Bubble Girl is also terrible.

It's a shame that a show as good as this still has these elements that drag it down.

Takyon

Nov 8, 2017
and it's extremely disappointing that they went through with it in the anime the way they did. I was hoping they'd make up for what they did in the manga.

As much as I'd like them to do this, I don't think the animation team has any sort of inclination to improve the story or remove problematic elements.

Bubble-girl is even more frustrating in a sense because they could take it out the tickling and the story wouldn't be effected at all. It's just a one-off gag, not a moment of any significance.

Last edited:

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Magne's death was one of the things I knew about beforehand (and there's just one more spoiler I know, thankfully) and I was dreading it. They tried to shoehorn in some backstory at the last second to make it seem more "meaningful" but it still came off really gross. Queer characters are not death/shock fodder and it's extremely disappointing that they went through with it in the anime the way they did. I was hoping they'd make up for what they did in the manga.

Bubble Girl is also terrible.

It's a shame that a show as good as this still has these elements that drag it down.

Eh To me we did get to see her meet up with her friend but we didn't see the conversation last season. And I'm not sure Magne Died for death fodder or if she died doing what she always did, She pretty much cracked one of the wild wild pussy cats with the same move and her decisiveness is what made her want to jump Izuku when fighting tiger. her doing her normal actions with a bit more fire because overhaul was saying some triggering shit to her got her killed but I can't really say she was death fodder.

And Also there are two other Queer characters on the show that we know of , one of which I hope gets to show off a bit more in the anime.