• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017

So I did

My Hero, Luke Skywalker

I was totally fucking blown apart by what they did with Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi. Just totally blown away. I've seen a lot of arguing over whether or not the direction they took old Luke in was right for the character, but I loved it so much I thought my heart would burst. I had a really intense personal reaction to Luke Skywalker, Depressed Asshole, and thought I should explain it.

Really quality piece of writing about depression and seeing it represented in a character like Luke.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This post was really good, something about it resonated with me, likely the fact I've suffered depression before. Just a good piece all around

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I had similar thoughts after seeing The Last Jedi. It was humbling, powerful, and personal to see your childhood favorite crumble and grapple with their sadness and rise up and find peace and meaning through it all. As someone who has struggled with depression in the past, it was just really nice to see.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird that someone as depressed and mired in self-loathing as I am didn't really notice the similarities. I noticed that he was depressed and broken, but for whatever reason I didn't really look into it because I was paying attention more to Rey's story, and framed Luke's depiction as how she would see it.

Viewed on it's own...yeah, Luke's in a bad spot, and one I now see myself immensely relating to.

You know, the dark side of the force is just summarized as "Space Magic, but EEEEEVUL", but in this case, Luke could be said to have fallen to his own sort of dark side. Not murderous or maniacal, but just empty. He's willfully cut himself off from the Force, which he acknowledges is basically life force, so how dead must that make him feel inside.

I feel like I got to see the movie again and observe Hamill's performance with this in mind now.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Luke behaved so much out of character - even as the TLJ-Luke. It was just inconsistent. His death was also so pointless and anti-climatic. Like, he dies from exhaustion after using long-distance-force-facetime... really? It's not like he was 500 years old like Yoda or some shit.

Lifejumper

Oct 25, 2017
Luke behaved so much out of character - even as the TLJ-Luke. It was just inconsistent. His death was also so pointless and anti-climatic. Like, he dies from exhaustion after using long-distance-force-facetime... really? It's not like he was 500 years old like Yoda or some shit.

He was the the spark that will light the fire, that will burn away the first order by:

Saving what was left of the resistance;
Inspiring a new generation (broom kid).

Watch the movie breh. Its good.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Luke was easily the best part of TLJ.

Loved just about everything about him. Especially that he didn't become some magically perfect and infallible mentor character, Luke was still very much human and going through his own personal issues and crisis of faith.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
It's an amazing goddamn character arc that so many people can relate to.

I know exactly what it's like to be totally crippled by anxiety and self-loathing because of a past personal failure. Watching Luke move beyond that and find peace in the end was truly the most heroic thing I've ever seen in this kind of movie. I dream of being that at-peace with myself in the end.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I dunno about exalting suicide as a heroic "recovery" from depression.

It's not suicide though? He was at peace with himself, with his actions and his place in the galaxy, and moved on to the next phase of existence, embracing the Jedi way. Like all great science fiction/fantasy it's taking something mystical and amazing and applying it to a concept we can relate to as normal people.

His last act in the living world was one of pacifism, which is beautiful to me.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
He was the the spark that will light the fire, that will burn away the first order by:

Saving what was left of the resistance;
Inspiring a new generation (broom kid).

Watch the movie breh. Its good.
That doesn't change anything? He could have sent a letter, that brought peace to the entire galaxy and it wouldn't make the fact that he died doing so any less dumb and anticlimactic. Also, his character is just all over the place and not consistent.

Broom Kid wasn't even needed. The whole "resistance is rising" was kinda the setup of TFA already, so they essentially made the same thing twice.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
That doesn't change anything? He could have sent a letter, that brought peace to the entire galaxy and it wouldn't make the fact that he died doing so any less dumb and anticlimactic. Also, his character is just all over the place and not consistent.

Broom Kid wasn't even needed. The whole "resistance is rising" was kinda the setup of TFA already, so they essentially made the same thing twice.

How does a letter save the trapped members of the remaining Resistance on Crait? And, how does a letter spark Hope for the rest of the Galaxy? Luke went out, ALONE, and faced down the entire First Order, by himself. And, apparently held them all off. That's the story that is being told across the galaxy now. One man held off the ENTIRE FIRST ORDER. It's the new spark for Resistance across the galaxy.

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's weird that someone as depressed and mired in self-loathing as I am didn't really notice the similarities. I noticed that he was depressed and broken, but for whatever reason I didn't really look into it because I was paying attention more to Rey's story, and framed Luke's depiction as how she would see it.

Viewed on it's own...yeah, Luke's in a bad spot, and one I now see myself immensely relating to.

You know, the dark side of the force is just summarized as "Space Magic, but EEEEEVUL", but in this case, Luke could be said to have fallen to his own sort of dark side. Not murderous or maniacal, but just empty. He's willfully cut himself off from the Force, which he acknowledges is basically life force, so how dead must that make him feel inside.

I feel like I got to see the movie again and observe Hamill's performance with this in mind now.
The moment when Rey says, "You've cut yourself off from the Force...of course you have," really resonated with me, but I could not put my finger on why until reading this piece. I have chronic depression and anxiety, but by now I've learned to spot when they are rearing up. The first thing I do is cut myself off. From family, from social media (which is probably a good thing), from everyone. I withdraw, and slowly drown in the isolation. It's the place Luke is at. Mark Hamill's performance is heartbreaking, and ultimately uplifting, in its honesty.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
How does a letter save the trapped members of the remaining Resistance on Crait? And, how does a letter spark Hope for the rest of the Galaxy? Luke went out, ALONE, and faced down the entire First Order, by himself. And, apparently held them all off. That's the story that is being told across the galaxy now. One man held off the ENTIRE FIRST ORDER. It's the new spark for Resistance across the galaxy.
Yeah, but where does him dying ties into any of that? It doesn't. In fact, him surviving is what "sparks hope".

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Wait how did luke inspire broom kid. I thought he was given the resistence propaganda merchandise by finn

Luke is not my main problem with TLJ. The idea is good on paper, i still think they whiffed on the execution though.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The moment when Rey says, "You've cut yourself off from the Force...of course you have," really resonated with me, but I could not put my finger on why until reading this piece. I have chronic depression and anxiety, but by now I've learned to spot when they are rearing up. The first thing I do is cut myself off. From family, from social media (which is probably a good thing), from everyone. I withdraw, and slowly drown in the isolation. It's the place Luke is at. Mark Hamill's performance is heartbreaking, and ultimately uplifting, in its honesty.

100%.

I spent the better part of this year a sad self-loathing mess cut off from the world and my family & friends, afraid to face anyone. Seeing my childhood hero Luke Skywalker going through similar shit was really powerful to me.

Oct 28, 2017
Because Rian said so and he wanted to undo TFA and any and all OT-connections as much as possible. This point really irks me almost the most about Luke. His death feels just "convenient to the plot", but doesn't really make much sense.

I can see that. Leia's space Jesus power and Luke's astral projection really don't follow anything thats been established and the movie gives no explanation other than these are things now in Star Wars.

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see that. Leia's space Jesus power and Luke's astral projection really don't follow anything thats been established and the movie gives no explanation other than these are things now in Star Wars.
So like nearly every Star Wars movie to date? Nearly every single Star Wars movie introduced new powers and usually never explained what they were.

Nothing in ANH gave you any indication you could use the Force to lift objects and make them float around. That was new in ESB.

Nothing in ANH and ESB gave you any indication that you can use the Force to shoot LIGHTNING BOLTS from your fingers. That was new in ROTJ. Way more out there than anything Leia did.

Nothing in the OT gave you any indication you could use the Force to run crazy fast like the Flash. That was new in TPM.

Do I have to keep going?

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not suicide though? He was at peace with himself, with his actions and his place in the galaxy, and moved on to the next phase of existence, embracing the Jedi way. Like all great science fiction/fantasy it's taking something mystical and amazing and applying it to a concept we can relate to as normal people.

His last act in the living world was one of pacifism, which is beautiful to me.

I dunno how you read choosing to die as anything but suicide.

Luke sat down on his couch, sent some snarky texts to his punkass nephew, lied to the whole galaxy, and then bailed.

Which, fine. From some angles that's a worthwhile story. But specifically framing this as an inspirational story about depression is wild. Luke didn't even leave the damn apartment he'd shut himself into.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, but where does him dying ties into any of that? It doesn't. In fact, him surviving is what "sparks hope".

I don't think he should've died, but the movie clearly communicates that his last act took every last bit of effort out of him performing an unparalleled feat with The Force unlike any before ever witnessed.

You want The Force explained now? Like some video game shit? Like the prequels?

"If you strike me down now, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What were his inconsistencies in character?
One the one hand, he is that seemingly hermit that is fed up with the Jedi and force and everything, on the other hand he is still on that fucking Jedi island for no real reason. Then he cracks jokes, but is utterly somber and depressed and what not. Then he refuses anything Jedi, but still teaches her, but then goes back to being against it, but then does it again etc How he treats her is also all over the place. It just feels like he is a character with schizophrenia aka written by 2 people with very, very different ideas for his characters.
It's just not consistent. And that's not even compared to the OT, where he is the fucking most hopeful character in the universe. I mean even Mark Hamill himself said "'The Last Jedi' Was Not His Vision Of Luke".

Deleted member 13131

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because Rian said so and he wanted to undo TFA and any and all OT-connections as much as possible. This point really irks me almost the most about Luke. His death feels just "convenient to the plot", but doesn't really make much sense.
In Kylo and Rey's first conversation, he says, "You're not doing this, the effort would kill you."

What Luke does is the most incredible use of the Force in the series to date. The effort took all he had. It makes sense, and being an act of pacifism that also saves the entire rebellion while ALSO concluding Luke's return to the light is quite fitting and beautiful.

And from a narrative standpoint, Luke had to go, so Rey could step out from under the shadow of the OT. Rian Johnson found a perfect way to do it.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neither did freezing blaster shots or force lightning when they first appeared. And Leia isnt even the first to do this, Kanan did it on rebels.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I dunno how you read choosing to die as anything but suicide.

Luke sat down on his couch, sent some snarky texts to his punkass nephew, lied to the whole galaxy, and then bailed.

Which, fine. From some angles that's a worthwhile story. But specifically framing this as an inspirational story about depression is wild. Luke didn't even leave the damn apartment he'd shut himself into.

He sent himself (or a projection) to Crait to inspire hope in the rebels (at a point where even Leia, bastion of undying optimism in the galaxy had given up) and give them an opportunity to escape. He didn't want to actually fight his nephew, and if he actually went there he would have just been pulverized by cannon fire. He went out without violence in his heart, completely at peace with himself in the end. Fully embracing his ideals and the Jedi way.

He didn't even have any way to leave the island so...how would he have done anything physically?

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So if you hold them off and survive you are a hero but if you hold them off and die you're a failure? He still single-handedly saved what was left of the Resistance regardless of whether or not he survived.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
In Kylo and Rey's first conversation, he says, "You're no doing this, the effort would kill you."

What Luke does is the most incredible use of the Force in the series to date. The effort took all he had. It makes sense, and being an act of pacifism that also saves the entire rebellion while ALSO concluding Luke's return to the light is quite fitting and beautiful.

And from a narrative standpoint, Luke had to go, so Rey could step out from under the shadow of the OT. Rian Johnson found a perfect way to do it.
What?! How was that "perfect". That was almost the most awful way I could imagine getting rid of Luke.

I mean, why not go with Rey on the MF and be there in person and do it from closer distance? Or why not have him do it IN PERSON and then die somewhere else, watching into the sunset? That would have actually meant something and made the scene - hell the movie- a fuckton better.

Also, why does EVERYBODY see Luke's projection, when only "force-sensitive" people / user can see the projection? So why did Hux and everybody else see him as well?

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
So if you hold them off and survive you are a hero but if you hold them off and die you're a failure? He still single-handedly saved what was left of the Resistance regardless of whether or not he survived.
=
It's not about Luke dying, it's about Luke dying just like that. It serves no purpose.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
One the one hand, he is that seemingly hermit that is fed up with the Jedi and force and everything, on the other hand he is still on that fucking Jedi island for no real reason. Then he cracks jokes, but is utterly somber and depressed and what not. Then he refuses anything Jedi, but still teaches her, but then goes back to being against it, but then does it again etc How he treats her is also all over the place. It just feels like he is a character with schizophrenia aka written by 2 people with very, very different ideas for his characters.
It's just not consistent. And that's not even compared to the OT, where he is the fucking most hopeful character in the universe. I mean even Mark Hamill himself said "'The Last Jedi' Was Not His Vision Of Luke".

This totally reads as a smart, self-loathing individual who has been broken by their own failures and cooconed themself in isolation. Depression rarely manifests as outright morbidity in people who don't really have any in their personality.

I loved the treatment of Luke in TLJ, maybe the most impactful ( if not the most effortless) character arc in the series.

Oct 28, 2017
In Kylo and Rey's first conversation, he says, "You're not doing this, the effort would kill you."

I dont remember that exchange but at least they suggested the strain of using some Force powers puts them under considerable strain. But thinking about it this way makes it seem less disappointing. But after having waited 30 years for Luke to take some punks to school as a Jedi Master, theres always going to be some regret. We never got to see Luke in his prime which is a shame.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this sentiment, somewhat. It's why I said his death, while executed well, was unearned. I'm fine with a Luke that is depressed, tired, and just wanting to die so the Galaxy can never again be drawn into a war between two competing ideologies of the same religion. However, if that's what you are going to do then fucking commit to it. Instead, Luke just feels all over the place. I wanted a Grand Master Jedi Luke Skywalker, haggard, but reluctantly deciding to teach Rey about The Force. I wanted a kind of Galdalf Luke. Instead, he just acts weird and assholish the whole time, only teaches Rey one valuable lesson, the rest of his lessons are horseshit ramblings about the Jedi needing to die. Then Rey gets fed up with his bullshit and leaves to try and turn Ren and so Luke decides to burn it all down. Then, suddenly, Yoda shows up and burns it all down for him, explaining to him that, that stuff was never important. That he needs to teach his pupils his failures, not just his victories and the gilded past. Then Kylo murders Snoke and tells Rey to "let the past die" and "burn it all down," but she refuses. Then Luke shows up, does amazeball Force Magic, says "see you around, kid." And then, dies. So, I guess he meant, "see you around" metaphorically? But then, at the very end, we see that Rey stole the Jedi books which Yoda convinced Luke weren't important. Huh? Who the fuck are we supposed to be agreeing with here?

Is the past supposed to die? Or are we supposed to hold on to that shit? Yoda tells Luke to burn it down and then Kylo says the same to Rey, which would seem to suggest that Kylo is in the right. Then we see Rey holding onto the books at the end suggesting that instead she is right. The fuck is the message of this movie?

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I was not a fan of how Luke was portrayed in this film. Mark Hamill did a great job acting, but they turned Luke into a grumpy old man who basically betrayed the characters arc in the OT. In the OT Luke was unwilling to kill the second most evil person in the galaxy, who was even was responsible for blowing up a planet. He believed in his fathers redemption so much so that he threw his lightsaber down and to not give into his hate, and accept his fate at the hands of the Emperor as long as he tried to find the good in his father again. Which he miracously achieved but now Luke is willing too kill his nephew while he was sleeping in the middle of the night, because he has dark side tendencies. Huh? So much for trying to talk to the kid first.

If you enjoyed this interpretation of Luke, more power to you but I just was let down. This is not the same Luke I grew up with. Plus the mysteries built up from TFA were thrown out the window. I felt like Rian Johnson was saying "Fuck you, JJ" the entire movie by taking away the mysteries that went unaswered in TFA. Which were really the only interesting things in TFA. So in a way this film also retroactively ruins TFA.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
uh spoilers, I think.

I jumped down here after reading he did something bad.

Or am I just SOL and it's too late to care about poor mac's feelings?

kukubrew

Nov 7, 2017
Dark force by inaction. Interesting take there. Means he turned himself back in the time end which is an interesting preposition

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Why was it shocking? I thought they telegraphed the whole "Obi won" send off for him. You didn't think this Trilogy was gonna be Luke focused as well?

See above post,
I always figured Luke would die but that it would be in the third movie after spending some good time with him and him spending some time with the new cast. I didn't figure the new Trilogy would focus on him, but I didn't expect the hero of the entire last trilogy to be sidelined into one movie where he sat on an island the whole time doing fuck all. Han Solo got a better send off than Luke.

uh spoilers, I think.

I jumped down here after reading he did something bad.

Or am I just SOL and it's too late to care about poor mac's feelings?

Why would you jump into a thread talking about Luke Skywalker if you haven't seen TLJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.