• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Not a problem with Switch and its onslaught of original indie games. Even with life and a SO, it's relatively easy to dedicate time to it because of the portability.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You've gone from having alot of time to play games to something along the lines of a person with more responsibilities.

Perhaps there's a little tiredness thrown in, as I know I'm a lot less patient with games when tired.

Maybe it's time to change things up. Shorter single player games, and ease up on the online multiplayer. Sounds like you're a little too serious about it to get so upset over things you should just shrug off.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the reasons why the Switch is such an enormous success. It fits better in the live of mature people with a job and partner.

Oct 25, 2017
If at all possible, with the little time you have with games. Try to switch up the times you play, it sounds like you need to break the cycle you've been playing in. Changing up your gaming routine can help a lot.

Octopop

Oct 27, 2017
If you're not used to working a full time job then the change can definitely affect you. There's no harm in having a break, focus on your work and then get back into gaming in a few months. As you settle into your new role you'll find that it's not as tiring and you adapt to the new work/life balance.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
it's understandable wanting to play a short burst game like Overwatch or Apex when time is limited. HOwever, these games are stressful and competitive.

There could be other more relaxing games out there. Maybe puzzle games, or "walking simulator" games or whatever. Something that you can play in short spurts, but isn't raising the tension level.

ByteCulture

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm 27 years old and after long years of enthusiasm, joy and non-stop gaming, I fear I might be starting to hate my favorite hobby.

This year I finally secured a new job position which requires a lot of responsibility from my part. I basically start at 9AM and I'm not back home until 18.30PM.

This has seriously lowered my gaming time to a couple of hours a day if I'm lucky. As soon as I'm back home, I eat something, spend time with my girlfriend and then play something that could give me short bursts of fun in as little time as possible, like Overwatch or Apex Legends for example.

Before my new job happened, I would just sit and play videogames for at least 3 to 4 hours a day and -more importantly- I would enjoy it. Last year I managed to play and finish over 50 games, which included fantastic experiences such as God of War, Breath of the Wild and Spider-Man. I would just have a smile all over my face when playing this and I still do when I remember last year.

Nowadays, I just feel too tired to commit myself to playing long games. Hell, I bought both Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3 when they came out and I think I barely played around 3 hours of each before I just called it quits. This is why I decided to only focus on OW and Apex, as it was easier for me to play for an hour and still manage to have fun, but...

It's been bad the past few days. I started to grow tired of those 2 games and I also felt like I was not even trying to enjoy them anymore. Today, after 5 games of losing in OW, I got heavily criticized by strangers in my team. I have never really minded this, but today it felt different.

I switched right away to Apex then and that's when I snapped out of myself. My buddies I usually play with and I were fighting an enemy squad when I got killed. We were right next to a Reviving Beacon, yet my teammates decided to loot my corpse (I had a legendary backpack) and that made me super angry. I got so angry that I just quit the game without saying anything. Now, I know I'm probably in the wrong here, but it just scared me that I reacted this way.

This got me to sit on my sofa and reflect onto everything that's been happening to me lately. Now, while I watch my girlfriend play Assassins Creed Odyssey, I have also come to the realization that although I do not enjoy playing games as much as I used to, I am slowly starting to enjoy watching my girlfriend play games. It's just relaxing to watch her solving puzzles in BotW or simply exploring the world in AC Odyssey.

I don't know why I made this thread to be honest. I guess I needed to vent; however, I would still like to use this chance to ask you ERA for advice, because I truly feel confused and somehow scared after my unnecessary angry reaction today.

Should I start playing more relaxing and shorter games? Should I take a break from online gaming? What games could I play to reignite my passion for gaming? Has this happened to you before?

Since iam getting successful in Blockchain with our company... i hardly have ever time or the urge to play something. I just want to work and get rich. ;)

There is more important stuff in the world then videogames.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have less time than you and I go through peaks and troughs. Had a recent phase of Stardew Valley on the train commute in, and quietly sitting on the sofa to wind down after work.

I do like story based games so that can be challenging - I will tend to session those on a Sunday so I don't lose too much track of where I am.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the same boat, I worked a job that I hated so I spent a lot of time playing video games late into the night and not getting sleep and coming in the next day late and tired. Video games was an escape for me at that point.

Fast forward to now, I'm working a job I enjoy, at a salary that I'm very happy with, and now I'm down to maybe like an hour of video games a day. I'll play a few hours more during the weekend if that. The Switch though is awesome for the train ride.

Mitch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never hurts to take a break and find new hobbies. I have a busy job, a girlfriend and a social life. At times, it's tough to find time to sit down and play a game. I usually get 3-5 hours on a Sunday, which is a nice block of time. Recently I got back into reading. Once I had put the controller down for a couple weeks, I slowly started to regain some interest in games I hadn't played yet.

It can come and go. Simply go with the flow, enjoy other hobbies and don't stress too much. Games will always be here.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Happens to everyone, take a break, as long as you want, come back when you feel like playing again

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Since I got my job I just do whatever on weekdays when I get home and play more on weekends instead. Playing longer games is doable, you just have to keep at it. No one says you actually have to finish a game in one sitting.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Dump girlfriend, u ll get there hour or two.
Marriage is a trap.

Also stop playing for month or two, maybe u ll find your love for games again.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
I probably game once a week, maybe twice, for 2-3 hours. I've just become incredibly selective about what games I play and the time investment. I'm no longer going to be the enthusiast who plays every great game, but I'm still getting a lot of excellent experiences.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I've been in a similar mood recently. I was super excited for Kingdom Hearts 3 - I've played maybe 20 hours since it came out. It's fun, but just wasn't all I was expecting after 13 years. I almost always buy the new big games. But I skipped Anthem, Division 2, and Sekiro. Not sure what it is. But the last 2 games I really, really enjoyed were BotW and God of War. But those are generational games, so I'm not sure when another will come.

I did try Subnautica last night and found that really engaging. Mostly because I have a fear of open water, so I felt like it was therapeutic in some way.

Oct 27, 2017
Those are all normal feelings, frustration and such

Sounds like you have an unreasonable standard of how many games you played before the job and not, you especially seem like you play too many games if you beat 50 in 2018.

Take time with some titles and let them simmer longer if you enjoy them. For example, had you not bought RE2 and KH3 at the same time you'd have beaten one of the RE2 pathes in a combined 6 hours ish (you said 3 hours each)

It's okay for your life to change and time to be limited but the games didn't change, you did it. You have to understand this and adapt. Weekends, late nights, small pockets here and there will show you you do have time for it. Any partner should support you engaging in your hobbies as well so hopefully yours does too

Sometimes games do require us to sit down and persevere for a bit, just take a small break and then get back at it.

I think a big key would be try a game that's very different than what you normally play. I'd recommend Stardew Valley imo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Welcome to real life OP lol

Best option is to take a break from gaming and come back refreshed in a few weeks or however long you feel but get used to playing in shorter bursts because gaming time probably isn't going to get any better from now on. You get used to it though, I did.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
DId you try narrative-focused, more shorter games? I mean, if you enjoy good stories, as in books, movies, TV series, why not enjoying them interactively.
If that doesn't work, try games that rely almost purely on gameplay but don't need much investments (lots of smaller, indie games).
Or relaxing games that aren't competitive and easy to play and are easy to progress in (e.g. Elder Scrolls Online).

Also, replay old games you love. I find myself more often replaying old stuff than all this new mainstreamed stuff. Memories attached to it come back and I REALLY enjoy myself playing and not wondering, almost begging, when does a game finally ends.

Stop playing games you don't enjoy and don't force yourself. I gave up on AC Odyssey for example, after roughly 35h. At first it kind of ticks in your head, nagging you, that you have unfinished business. But soon you'll realize that there are no obligations; the game's job is to be fun to you.

Oct 25, 2017
I've been doing the restricted gaming time thing for a while now. It's just become a bit more of a deliberate activity.

My tips would be:
- don't play more than one or two games simultaneously
- step back from time to time and ask yourself why you're playing something, move on if you don't have a decent answer
- only move to the next thing when you're done aka don't build a backlog
- listen to a gaming podcast to "keep up", if you don't want to lose that part of gaming

The reason I'm not advising to play different types of games is that if you'd enjoyed them more, you'd already be playing them. So I would rather sit on a game I like for weeks than do something I'm not actually all that crazy about.
The backlog thing is about feeling pressure to play or even guilt for not playing something. You don't want that in your life, it ruins the hobby. Saves you money, too.
I'm also playing Apex right now and having a great time. I might do Sekiro next, who knows.

Last edited:

catberry

Oct 31, 2017
London
I don't think this is game-related in any way.
I see this in anyone who works long hours, not just gamers, but anyone who values their free time or has any kind of hobby.
It has nothing to do with games, it's just not a healthy lifestyle imo. Stress buildup, lack of free time to relax, lack of time to chill with your family etc.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 49 and still love gaming, been playing all my life. I take long breaks sometimes and binge on TV shows, there are sooooooo many 10/10 TV shows that can suck up hundreds of hours and are well worth the investment - Breaking Bad, The Wire, Rome, Deadwood, Mad Men, Spartacus, Black Sails, Sopranos, The Good Place, Parks and Rec, Star Trek TNG/DS9, Battlestar Galactica, etc, etc. Once you sink a few months into just watching great shows you will be jonesing to play an amazing single player game like Spider Man or God of War to get that deep narrative immersion in an interactive medium.

Switching genres definitely helps a lot. I still play daily games of Black Ops 4 and WW2, but I'll also switch to single player games and once I find one I love I finish it. I do like multiplayer, battle royale games but I find them to be a bit like busy work, you get them done and they are fun but they don't hit the emotional highs and resonance of something like a Witcher 3 or Nier Automata. I'd burn out of gaming if all I played were MP games.

I am really enjoying Division 2 now, mostly solo, the "grind" of constantly upgrading loot scratches some weird itch.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
1. Those hours are shit
2. Stop playing competitive MP if you're already irritated
3. Do some couch coop with your GF
4. Play smaller indie titles that can be finished in a couple/few sessions

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
I'm 27 years old and after long years of enthusiasm, joy and non-stop gaming, I fear I might be starting to hate my favorite hobby.

This year I finally secured a new job position which requires a lot of responsibility from my part. I basically start at 9AM and I'm not back home until 18.30PM.

This has seriously lowered my gaming time to a couple of hours a day if I'm lucky. As soon as I'm back home, I eat something, spend time with my girlfriend and then play something that could give me short bursts of fun in as little time as possible, like Overwatch or Apex Legends for example.

Before my new job happened, I would just sit and play videogames for at least 3 to 4 hours a day and -more importantly- I would enjoy it. Last year I managed to play and finish over 50 games, which included fantastic experiences such as God of War, Breath of the Wild and Spider-Man. I would just have a smile all over my face when playing this and I still do when I remember last year.

Nowadays, I just feel too tired to commit myself to playing long games. Hell, I bought both Resident Evil 2 and Kingdom Hearts 3 when they came out and I think I barely played around 3 hours of each before I just called it quits. This is why I decided to only focus on OW and Apex, as it was easier for me to play for an hour and still manage to have fun, but...

It's been bad the past few days. I started to grow tired of those 2 games and I also felt like I was not even trying to enjoy them anymore. Today, after 5 games of losing in OW, I got heavily criticized by strangers in my team. I have never really minded this, but today it felt different.

I switched right away to Apex then and that's when I snapped out of myself. My buddies I usually play with and I were fighting an enemy squad when I got killed. We were right next to a Reviving Beacon, yet my teammates decided to loot my corpse (I had a legendary backpack) and that made me super angry. I got so angry that I just quit the game without saying anything. Now, I know I'm probably in the wrong here, but it just scared me that I reacted this way.

This got me to sit on my sofa and reflect onto everything that's been happening to me lately. Now, while I watch my girlfriend play Assassins Creed Odyssey, I have also come to the realization that although I do not enjoy playing games as much as I used to, I am slowly starting to enjoy watching my girlfriend play games. It's just relaxing to watch her solving puzzles in BotW or simply exploring the world in AC Odyssey.

I don't know why I made this thread to be honest. I guess I needed to vent; however, I would still like to use this chance to ask you ERA for advice, because I truly feel confused and somehow scared after my unnecessary angry reaction today.

Should I start playing more relaxing and shorter games? Should I take a break from online gaming? What games could I play to reignite my passion for gaming? Has this happened to you before?
Honest advice from an old fart: Gauge your priorities.

Don't listen to anyone telling you how many hours you should "play" a day, or how many hours you should "work" a day, and even less how many hours you should "take care of your wife and kids" a day.

Do you enjoy video games? If you don't ask yourself why? Is it a byproduct of lacking "free time"? Is it simply some lack of interest on your current games? Is it possible that's it's simply your taste is evolving over time?

Do you enjoy your work? Could you accommodate for less work hours to have more "free time"? If not, why? Social obligations and peer pressure? Is it because you simply need the wages?

I don't have the answer to your problem, and trust me I doubt anyone around here do. Just try to ask yourself the "good questions". I just listed some obvious examples. There are many other relevant questions to be asked. And answered as honestly as possible. As always, try to think outside the box. It's easier said than done, I know. But still, give it some thought.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1. Those hours are shit
2. Stop playing competitive MP if you're already irritated
3. Do some couch coop with your GF
4. Play smaller indie titles that can be finished in a couple/few sessions

He has standard working hours as most people do, id assume if he's getting home at 6:30, he's done with work earlier than that.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Adulthood is hard work - your children, your wife, your career, your friends. You will need to work to ensure all of those are in good places.

What little free time you have left will need to be split between all your hobbies - choose wisely.

DC5remy

Jan 20, 2018
Denver co
I play - hour a day if I am lucky OP. This happens to most grown ups with a family or careeer.

It should be a past time activity, taking a back seat to the life around you.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
This is why I usually put The Office on the TV for the hundredth time and play a nice casual game on my Switch after a long day at work. I save the serious gaming for the weekend.

Azusa

Oct 25, 2017
I have also come to the realization that although I do not enjoy playing games as much as I used to, I am slowly starting to enjoy watching my girlfriend play games. It's just relaxing to watch her solving puzzles in BotW or simply exploring the world in AC Odyssey.
Its just you are tired after work or just in lazy mode and don't want to put an effort to do anything. Of course its comfy to passively watch other playing games, its like watching TV.

Oct 25, 2017
You're busy and tired. It's okay to take a break from games or just play certain kinds of games. Gaming isn't a job and you don't have to do it a certain way.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
All the sweet money to finally fund your hobbies as much as you want from working.

But you will find you don't have the time, energy or enthusiasm to game much anymore especially when you have to fit in the rest of your life too.

Sucks I know.

Deleted member 34132

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Sound like a regular adult life...

My day starts at 5.45 am. After showering and so on I take the dog for a walk and my working day starts at about 7.15 am. I'm home at about 4.45 pm then I'm taking the dog for a walk again. After that I'm going to cook, eat and spent some time with my girlfriend, from 8.15 pm until about 9.45 pm I'm going to the gym three to four times a week. When I get home I prepare some food for the next day, spent some time with the dog and at 11 pm I'm going to sleep. If I'm lucky I got 30 minutes to 1 hour on a regular day for video games.

Thizzles

Banned
Feb 9, 2019

This happened to me. I'm 28 I work 4 10 hour shifts. I also have a 3 year old. I stopped playing games for a few months and came back. I used to play every game that caught my interest. I stopped playing as many games and just focused on the ones that really interested me. I'm having just as much fun as I did before.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Take a breather OP. Gaming was my main hobby for all of my teenage/young adulthood, but around 24-25 it started taking a backseat. I still enjoy it, but I'm playing probably 4-5 hours a week now and find Nintendo (which has always been my favorite) tends to hold my attention the most.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
As others notes, it's just normal for it to ebb and flow as you get older, busier and have more responsibilities. Gaming requires attention, focus and effort while providing few (if any) tangible rewards. Thus it's easy to not feel like it after a day of work and prefer just watching TV/movies/sports on the couch. Or to do something like work out or work on home improvement projects or what not that have more tangible rewards.

The simplest advice I can give as a 40 year old that's dealt with gaming fatigue for years is to follow this one simple rule: Only play a game when you truly want to play it.

That means not forcing your self to play out of boredom on days you don't feel like playing (even if it's a game you've been enjoying), not caring about hype and just playing the games you are truly excited about regardless of buzz, review scores, forum hype etc., and not feeling obligated to finish games you buy if you aren't feeling them.

I enjoy gaming much more since doing that, along with disconnecting a fair bit from the online gaming community--just this site left and I'm very choosy about what threads I click on and which I post in and avoid all arguments now.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It got really crazy for me when I got married and got a new job

The switch was the savior. I could play during any short period of time imaginable, I would take my care to maintenance, and play while waiting. My wife hugging the tv, and me playing, even at work - yep at work during lunch break.

I would also say, take your time, its okay if you can only do 1-2 hours a day. Maybe play shorter story driven games on your consoles, gamepass is great for this, or sony's exclusives.

For longer games, I can make them happen easier on switch. That is why i have 150 hours there on xeno 2, and only like 10 in persona 5

HOSKINGJ

Jan 5, 2018
join the club op.
i've been like this all gen :/
i recommend taking a more focused approach to gaming.
i only really play games i'm truly interested in or from creators i trust now.
i'm over the hype wagon bullshit now. i find that i enjoy things more now when im not super invested in the hype machine and i dont consume every piece of promotional material for games. i highly recommend looking for shorter games to avoid getting burned out since so many games are bloated to hell and back now.

This resonates so closely with me. I only choose and play games I'm REALLY interested in. Also I'm rarely able to play new games as they come out as I'm still giving my attention to what I'd already set my sights on. I then may play these newer games 6-18 months after they come out and a real benefit is there are plenty of reviews, bugs fixed, potentially Switch ported, often cheaper etc.