• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

open_mouth_

Nov 1, 2017
Hi to all my ResetEra brethren. Some of you may remember me from the "old" site. I finally got a chance to stick my head out from the sand to say hello and provide an update for those that find this sort of thing interesting. I'm the TubShroom guy (who was previously the MSXbox/TeamXbox guy). Long story short... my partner and I launched a Kickstarter at the end of 2015 for a new kind of drain protector and it's blown up since. We've expanded the line to cover other drains, did a couple more Kickstarters, and have hustled like crazy since to get our product(s) into as many homes as possible. Here's a recent Forbes contributor piece that was written about us and here's a clip of our fourth HSN appearance.

Instead of blowing all our earnings on parties, cheap thrills, and McMansions like we originally planned, we've been reinvesting to grow the company and product line. Success is fleeting, especially if you rest on your laurels. We don't want to end up being one-hit wonders like Right Said Fred. The old thread turned into a sort of AMA. If the mods don't mind, I can answer some Q's in here. We recently launched our fourth Kickstarter campaign which has been keeping us busy. We're also moving into a new warehouse by the end of the year. Fun (and hectic) times!

The Original Post (August 28, 2016):

I've been on **redacted - the old site** before some of you were born but I've mostly just lurked. I've trolled some sony/ms fanboy threads here and there (and got the occasional ban for it) but these last few years I put my head down and became something of a workaholic. I needed to prove to my self that I could put my mind to something and make it into something that can thrive.

Plus, I was getting bored at my profession so I said screw it let's go do something. My long time colleague and friend always bounced ideas off of me, and I him. We're both tinkers. So we collaborated on this bathroom accessory and it turned out really great. I mean, works better than any of the alternatives and wasn't crazy expensive to get into production. Gave some prototypes out to friends and they loved it.

So we put it on kickstarter and worked our butts off to get the word out and the feedback was promising. It did pretty well on there and we knew we had to get some more investors on board to try to make it big while the opportunity presented itself. Fast forward 8 months later and we're on track to break 7-figures in 1st year sales, got large PO's from at least one major retailer, and have been scheduled for an HSN appearance next month. We've been approached by multiple reality entrepreneur shows as well recently and a few large companies for licensing.

It feels sort of surreal at times, but mostly we feel lucky/blessed/fortunate. Now I feel like I just wanna go and try my hand at something else to see if this wasn't just a fluke. I tried coming out with stuff before (different inventions, businesses, etc.) and it was a whole lot of fail. Thankfully I was too stubborn to give up and I learned how powerful the gained experience from your failures can be. So now I'm browsing that McMansions thread in the hopes of buying something that says "I'm living the american dream".

There is a problem with becoming a workaholic, though... it's hard to shut it off. The mind constantly races. When you're doing something non work-related, you always think "I could be doing something more productive right now". It's pretty messed up. I feel most alive when I'm creating something, so I'm probably going to step away from this project sooner than later. Just thought I should share while I had a free moment.

tl;dr came out with an invention for the bathroom, it's selling a lot, and the money may or may not be spent on extravagant things. also, being a workaholic is a trap.

edit: since mod seems to have OK'd linking to it, the invention is called TubShroom

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
How dare you besmirch the name of Right Said Fred, who brought us such classics as Man For All Seasons, Deeply Dippy and I'm Too Sexy.

My mum played their album in the car every day on the work to school. I know all the lyrics by heart.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Sounds like things are going well - glad to hear it! I've been enjoying my shroom, although my wife consistently forgets to clean it out after her shower and I usually end up standing in a puddle of water before I realize that I have a drainplug made of her hair.

Been waiting for the chrome kitchen sink one to turn up somewhere in Canada (or maybe it has and I've missed it).

Oct 26, 2017
running your own business means you will always be working on some level

the one thing to remember and try your best to do is, leave work stress at the job. when your at home or with your family, be the family man.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Hmmm.... thread is quarter motivation, quarter interesting personal story, quarter bragging and quarter advertisement.

Nov 3, 2017
BS-X
Probably a silly question but would you be willing to invest into the idea of a physical videogame museum/library?

Just asking to make myself sound better than the folks just asking for $1000 (I'm not, but yeahhhh~)

Maurice Hamblin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I have one of these, lol. My roommate sheds like a fucking cat. Works like a charm, lol.

Thanks random internet person.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
How dare you besmirch the name of Right Said Fred, who brought us such classics as Man For All Seasons, Deeply Dippy and I'm Too Sexy.

My mum played their album in the car every day on the work to school. I know all the lyrics by heart.

Don't forget Wonderman, featuring Sonic the Hedgehog

Airegin

Dec 10, 2017
I feel even more like a loser now since I haven't made any progress since feeling like a loser from your original thread.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I truly knew you made it big when Cracked.com was shilling for Tubshroom.

Maybe not a Mcmansion but i hope you did buy a house.

Pickman

Nov 20, 2017
Huntington, WV
Would you like the link to my wedding registry, or...?

For real tho, congratulations, OP. Hard work and a fresh idea paid off, and I'm really happy it did for you.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
I remember this. Congrats on the amazing success. Also didn't know you started the TeamXbox site? I used to frequent that place and forums all the time.

Saw your tubshroom stuff as ads on facebook years ago too and I was like, hey I "know" the guy who made this lol.

RedNalgene

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, I'm curious if you have an exit strategy? Or are you so psyched to be doing this that you're just going to keep at it to continue growing the business?

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is a good example of why you need to keep quiet on lotto winnings.

Just kidding but seriously nah I'm joking give me money.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have this mat, I've been working on it for 15 years, and on it are a bunch of conclusions to help you make choices in life when you don't know what to do.

I call it the "Jump to Conclusions" mat.

I'd like $500,000 for a 10% stake.

Oct 31, 2017
giphy.gif

All roads lead back to Mr. Wonderful

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard of it before, but consider me a customer if it works. We need something like this.

OP
OP
open_mouth_

open_mouth_

Nov 1, 2017
running your own business means you will always be working on some level

the one thing to remember and try your best to do is, leave work stress at the job. when your at home or with your family, be the family man.

So much this. In the past year, I've learned to keep work at work (mostly) and home stuff at home and my wife is definitely happy about that.

Side note, here's a pic of me and the legendary Bob Circosta, in case anyone cares

AlteredBeast

Don't Watch the Tape!
Oct 27, 2017
I'm an inventor, too.

Unfortunately I only invent chaos and bullshit.

seriously: are you taking invention ideas via PM and will you help with the development/distribution and money-hoard-counting responsibilities? I have an idea that would kill in most of the United States :)

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember this thread. Would love an AMA of some sort. pretty sure there are plenty of aspiring entrepreneurs on this forum.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Congrats man. I, and I'm sure a lot of others, feel like I have great ideas but don't know what to do with them. Good on you for making it happen

Oct 25, 2017
It feels sort of surreal at times, but mostly we feel lucky/blessed/fortunate. Now I feel like I just wanna go and try my hand at something else to see if this wasn't just a fluke. I tried coming out with stuff before (different inventions, businesses, etc.) and it was a whole lot of fail. Thankfully I was too stubborn to give up and I learned how powerful the gained experience from your failures can be.
this is something people let get them down. almost every single success story is paved by a road of failures that you get back up from. that's something all success stories have in common. if you're not going to handle failure...you're not gonna be successful

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did you get the product made? The silicon and the top piece?

How much of your product did you originally make? How long did it take for that to sell out?

Meeps

3D animator
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I was just telling someone about the original thread the other day. I've been using a similar product but it's kind of crappy. I'll have to try yours out.

Status
Not open for further replies.