• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
This is how my wife and her sister are with their parents and tbh I don't even notice it anymore

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
stewie-stewie-griffin-887939_200_212.gif

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Pretty typical phase kids go through. My 10 year old is extremely respectful but occasionally calls me Dave, which always cracks us both up.

I don't think I'd always want him to call me that, but not sure I'd care either. He's a happy kid and I'm a happy dad. Nothing else matters much.

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I did it all the time as a child and still do it today as an adult. I don't do the whole "yes sir" or "yes ma'am" thing either.

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Have a stepson who is 9 and 2 biological daughters, 2 1/2 and 9 months. The 2 1/2 year old juggles between daddy and my real name, but she hears her mother and brother call me that on a daily basis so I don't dwell too much on it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

User requested account closure
Banned
May 29, 2018
I don't know why I didn't think to include this earlier...

Imagine me at a family gathering at my parent's house. So in the house are my 2 parents, my 2 kids, and my wife. I have 3 siblings. Those siblings bring a further 3 kids under the age of 7. Each sibling brings a partner. That's a noisy, happy room of 15 people with a couple of drinks inside each adult. I'm trying to get my dad's attention. "Dad!" "Dad!", "hey Dad!". It's just blending into the cacophany. I finally have an idea and shout "Jeff!" and he finally turns to me and goes "yeah?....Wait, why did you call me jeff?". I reply "It got your attention"...... I was 40 at the time.

Maybe I just answered my own question.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My kids know me and my wife's name, but I didn't tolerate it for a second when the younger one (5) tried to call me by my name versus Dad or Daddy. It sounds mean, but we aren't friends, we aren't peers. If they want to call me by my name when they are adults, that's absolutely okay... but as a kid? Nah. There needs to be that kind of level of separation.
That such a strange attitude to have towards your kid. You treat them like pets or soldiers.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
Hey OP, if your wife and you decide you don't want it to happen anymore, the fix is pretty simple.

Basically, do not respond to any comments, requests, etc when they use your actual names, and only give attention when they use mom/dad (or whatever you prefer). As long as both of you are consistent with it, their behaviors should change pretty quickly (especially since they're young). You can also provide richer attention when they use your preferred name.

As far as thoughts, it's really up to you. If none of their other behaviors seem off towards their parents, seems innocent enough.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
If the OP is ok with it, then the only thing to be concerned about is that they recognize "dad" "father" "mom" "mother". If something comes up and they are asked, "What's your dads' name?", they should be able to identify that properly. My kids were raised from the start with the words "dad" and "mom", as was I. I still call my dad, dad, and my mom, mom. Tia Kathy, Tio Herb, etc.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
If it bothers you, you and your wife can start calling each other mom and dad and maybe it will translate for the kids to do that too.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Well, if you aren't sure then what do they call their grandparents? What do you call your parents? What does your wife call her parents? If bet it's "Grandma, Mom, Dad" or a variation.

I'd reflect that so it doesn't sound disrespectful in family gatherings.

Retsudo

Oct 28, 2017
I've been calling my parents by their name for years and at first they were a bit annoyed but have since come around and find it endearing.

I have a baby boy, and while he doesnt speak much yet, i have no problem with him calling me whatever he wants.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
You just have to keep teaching them this isn't ok. It's fun at first and that's where it starts. Just got to kill the habbit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
No worries, I can totally understand the other way around. I don't judge anyone that does it this way. As long as your kids are treated well and with respect and grow up in a loving home that is most important. Sorry if it came off any other way than that.

It's all good. We're good. I'm finding that parenting as a whole has been this delicate balance of taking some bits of how I was raised (a little strict, loving, but no nonsense and with the occasional smack on the arse), with how I would IDEALLY like to raise my kids. The smack on the arse has gone. No physical punishment in my house, but there has to be understanding and make them feel like I'm a peer.... But a peer who sometimes tells you it's time to get shoes on and go to school who they take seriously.

The name thing was a curious thing I never expected. Thought it was interesting to discuss.

PerfectFlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't fly with me. As it has been said, we are not peers and it's seen as a sign of disrespect towards your parents, even if a parent may not consider it disrespectful themselves. My kids and I have an incredibly loving relationship, but I'm their parent, not their best friend. It's totally cool though if you are ok with it. People can let their kids call them whatever makes them happy.

On that note, my wife and I call each other by our actual names in front of our kids all the time, but when talking to our children we refer to each other as mama and daddy. We've yet to be called anything else yet, luckily.

Deleted member 2321

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did the same to my parents and looking back I find it weird.

My daughter is 6 and calls me dad. I like that.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Its not about the words but the tone. If they say it with love and respect more power to them. As long as they're not calling you zaddy.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This seems a bit harsh. They're hardly subordinates either.
If children aren't subordinates, then what even is a subordinate?

OP it's your job to raise these kids to be good people. That will be way more difficult if they don't respect you and see you as a peer or a friend. I'd shut it down, quickly.

I also can't imagine calling aunts and uncles by their first names. Super disrespectful.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Respect is an important skill to learn. It may be ok if they call you by your first name but not other adults/authority figures.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I wouldn't accept it. They are not your peers.
This

There is a respect that needs to be taught for elders and those in authority. It allows the children ro be receptive to learning from the mistakes of the past.

Without a sense of that respect they possibly will assume that their naive ideas are as good as yours when in reality it will take years for them to be wise enough to learn those lessons.
Thats why there is a gradual graduation to adulthood.

I still call all of my Aunts Uncles etc by their family title regardless of their age. It is a sign of respect that I pay for their time on earth and their wisdom.

Granted Im old-school but think there is a benefit to it that is being forgotten by some with a side effect of a lack of respect in general ror others.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
No acceptable. They think they cute but you're their parents not their friends. I'd check that nonsense in a age appropriate way. Explain that's not acceptable and provide age appropriate consequence until they get the picture.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44129

Banned
May 29, 2018
I knew a girl in high school that addressed her parents by their first names. It shocked me a little, and sure enough she treated them like she was a roommate paying rent there.
Oh, this makes a good point. It's kind of progressive now, but what about when they're teenagers, addressing me in a way that sounds like a precocious little shit giving a fantastic step-dad a terrible time?

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, this makes a good point. It's kind of progressive now, but what about when they're teenagers, addressing me in a way that sounds like a precocious little shit giving a fantastic step-dad a terrible time?
and it'll be too late by then, since they'll have had it ingrained in their heads since they were young.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like it would make their demands less charming, and more like overly demanding roommates.

"I pooped my pants. Clean it up, Jeff."

"Karen, I spilled fruit loops and milk on the floor, so...."

"Steven, I'm not going to clean my room, and you can't make me!"

Once they're teenagers, all cuteness and novelty of them arguing with you and calling you by your first name will wear off pretty quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
My kids know me and my wife's name, but I didn't tolerate it for a second when the younger one (5) tried to call me by my name versus Dad or Daddy. It sounds mean, but we aren't friends, we aren't peers. If they want to call me by my name when they are adults, that's absolutely okay... but as a kid? Nah. There needs to be that kind of level of separation.

Separation from what? Absolute madness...

I think this is actually something you may want to modify because it's going to be awkward if they do it to say, a teacher.

Why would it? Teachers introduce themselves as Mr. or Ms. last name.

Oct 27, 2017
I personally wouldn't be into it, but if you're okay with it then that's all that matters. Once they're older if you wanted to go by first name basis to me that would make a lot more sense even though for me I can't fathom the idea of calling my parents by their first names at any age.

I think there is something to the idea of titles creating a certain type of dynamic and understanding when they're young that can be helpful for establishing boundaries and rules.

Cookie

Oct 26, 2017
If children aren't subordinates, then what even is a subordinate?

OP it's your job to raise these kids to be good people. That will be way more difficult if they don't respect you and see you as a peer or a friend. I'd shut it down, quickly.

I also can't imagine calling aunts and uncles by their first names. Super disrespectful.

A subordinate is someone who works for you. At worst it is someone who is inferior to you.