• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Pretty self-explanatory, the up-down movement works fine, but side to side its very unresponsive, sometimes it takes the input, others it doesn't, sometimes it drifts to the left. The stick feels a bit wonky and harder to move than usual but not all that much. People on Reddit say when this happens the step 1 is lifting the rubber to clean what's beneath. What else can I do?

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Had the same issue. People on reddit said to use canned air to spray the dust out from under the analog flap, but that didn't fix the issue for me. Was about to buy a new controller when I read about trying QD electronic contact cleaner instead.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI

Did this 2 months ago and haven't had an issue since. My right stick used to drift every 10-15 seconds making shooting games impossible.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Happened to me some weeks ago.
This is what they told me to do:
- Try to resincronize the joycon.
- Update it.
- Calibrate it.
- Set the calibration to factory settings (in the calibration screen, press Y).

In my case, nothing of this worked, so I had to send them to the maintenance service.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Happened to me as well and I fixed it by opening the controller and taking out the analog stick, opening it and removing a tiny bit of dust that was messing with the contacts. Such a bitch.

oatmeal

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah when I play BOTW, if I hit left he continues to walk that direction for a bit even after the stick is centered.

Sceptre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
iv had this problem for months. iv tried everything, and nothing worked. finally, this solved my left con's drifting issue

b8PVpaC.png

but now my "-" button is completely unresponsive. probably sprayed too much, and while it was on.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Happened to my right joycon, cleaned it from the outside but happened again after some hours of playtime. I just ended up opening my joycon, tearing down the stick enclosure and cleaned it all, now it feels like brand new.

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
Just started noticing the same thing a few weeks back. Makes for 4 player Puyo Puyo Tetris a bit frustrating for one player.

I tried updating and calibrating it but that didn't seem to do anything.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I"ve never removed them from the bulky litlle tablet but I really should as I have 6 months warranty left lol.

Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me about a year ago. I had to send it off to Nintendo to repair it, fortunately they paid for the shipping.

lowmelody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same damn thing happened to me and was worried that it got damaged some how. Made playing Okami an existential crisis.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
Had the same issue. People on reddit said to use canned air to spray the dust out from under the analog flap, but that didn't fix the issue for me. Was about to buy a new controller when I read about trying QD electronic contact cleaner instead.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-05103-Electronic-Cleaner-11/dp/B000BXOGNI

Did this 2 months ago and haven't had an issue since. My right stick used to drift every 10-15 seconds making shooting games impossible.

So how did you apply it? I'm having the same issue and compressed air isn't working.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Happen to me. Remove the cap of the joycon ( be very careful if your doing this ) , clean up, put back cap and work like a charm. But , now my cap is not looking perfect like it was, but it fixed the issue for me. Its just hard to put back cap as it was, its not perfect.

mrpoopy

Oct 27, 2017
Fixed mine with some WD-40. Just sprayed it on the bottom part of analog stick. No need to take it apart .

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
mine will drift downwards, in the eshop I will not be touching anything and it will scroll down. Hollow Knight was a pain because of this

OP
OP
Elfotografoalocado
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Yeah, contact cleaner is what I thought of, problem is I just moved last week and I have no tools whatsoever hahaha.
My girlfriend does, so I'll make her bring it tomorrow and update on how it goes.

Tito

Oct 28, 2017
OMG, I have the same, can someone post a step by step solution?

I have contact cleaner and WD 40, but if I'm going to open it, I need some guide it something.

Noobcraft

Nov 23, 2017
I just had to send one of my joycons to Nintendo for repairs (free) because of this. Pretty disappointing given the cost of the controllers but at least it happened under warranty.

Oct 25, 2017
People, try lifting up the rubber thing underneath the top of the stick and air blasting it.

Worked for me and I sent one in for the problem ages ago and probably wouldn't have had to.

Of course it's not necessarily that though.

MattD

Nov 4, 2017
Happened to me a while back. I sent it to Nintendo, they sent it back and it was like new. Then I started having even more severe drifting issues with the new one after a month or so. Still haven't done anything about it after all this time because I have no faith that they'll actually fix it lol.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
A friend of mine used WD and it fixed his issue, but now his Zr button and joycon LEDs stopped working.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've had to recalibrate my left stick every month or so since release. It also stopped clicking in eventually so I wound up just getting a new pair. It now occurs to me that it'd be super easy to just replace the joystick and buy the part for cheap

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Tried the canned air thing before and that just works temporarily. After a week or so it just goes back to drifting. I've tried this on about 4 joycons too.

Sent a set of joycons to Nintendo and they replaced it, but 6 months later it's back to its old self.

Took the joycon apart and took out the control stick, but I didn't take the control stick apart because I've read it's pretty hard to get it back together.

Here's a link on how to do it if anyone's brave enough. https://www.instructables.com/id/Nintendo-Joycon-Drift-Fix-Not-Software-Related/

I bought control sticks from eBay and will probably brave taking the old one apart now.

This is a hardware flaw that'll most likely affect everyone after a period of time. I hope they fix it in a future revision.

mrpoopy

Oct 27, 2017
OMG, I have the same, can someone post a step by step solution?

I have contact cleaner and WD 40, but if I'm going to open it, I need some guide it something.

Just spray some WD-40 directly on the bottom of the stick and wiggle it a bit to loosen it up. No need to open it .

Sal_S

Oct 30, 2017
Hamilton
Happens to my Wii U Pro controller and used to happen to my left Joycon (down insted of left tho). The pro controller gets (temporarily) fixed by blowing on the inside while spinning the stick.

I dont remember how I fixed the Joycon, but it might've been that or just re-calibrated. It's fine now.

Perona

Oct 31, 2017
It's been happening to me for months and seems to be pretty widespread. It's so dumb that a little dust can ruin the joycon like that.

hiro_x

Nov 2, 2017
Happened to both of my joycons. I used WD-40 contact cleaner, spray it on qtips and wipe under the flap. My right joycon worked fine after doing it once, the problem comes back with my left joycon about once a month and just do it again if it comes back.

After wiping with qtips with the WD-40, do a circular motion with the analog pressed down then let it dry.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
One of my four shipped like this, I just dealt with it. Seems super common.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Happened with both my joycons. Started right ass i began playing bayonetta. No cleaning solutions worked for me. Its just shoddy low quality springs.

Oct 26, 2017
I was on the same boat after 3 months of heavy use (only the left joycon).

I bought some canned air and tried to clean it to no avail... But, during my umpteenth attempt at fixing it, the can released some liquid (because I tilted the can too much) and... That sort of fixed it.
It used to drift -all- the time, making Mario Odyssey more like Mario's Calvary... Now it drifts once every few hours and it's not even noticeable. Yesterday I collected my last moon. All's well that ends well (for now).

Edit: Imma buy some electric contact cleaner like a few people suggested.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
1. Get some Electronic Contact Cleaner (heaps of brands make it, including WD-40 but DO NOT USE regular WD-40).
2. Detach Joy-cons and make sure they're turned off.
3. Move the joy-con stick to one side and, using a toothpick, needle or similar, peel up the small rubber flap underneath the joy-con stick.
4. Spray a small amount of cleaner into the opening under the rubber flap. Note that doing this whilst keeping the rubber flap up can be very finicky.
5. Repeat on the other 3 sides and wait 2-3 minutes for the cleaner to dry.
6. Attach and re-calibrate the joy-cons.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like we shouldn't have to do anything but send it to Nintendo? The lengths you guys are going to...

depward

Oct 29, 2017
This is wild. Having this issue with my right joycon and seemingly... very much not alone! I'll have to try some of these suggestions.

Chae3001

Oct 27, 2017
I recently tore down my out of warranty joycons to replace the cases (used a Dpad conversion case for the left), and simply replaced the joystick. They are 13 bucks on Amazon, so as long as you have the right tools, some magnifying glasses, and some time, it's a straightforward (but I won't say easy). I was only brave enough to try as they were an extra pair, as you can easily ruin a ribbon cable connector (learned my lesson from ruining a PSP during a case swap).

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have this issue and have tried every fix I could find and none worked.

The only thing I haven't done is send it in.

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to me as well and I fixed it by opening the controller and taking out the analog stick, opening it and removing a tiny bit of dust that was messing with the contacts. Such a bitch.

Happened to my right joycon, cleaned it from the outside but happened again after some hours of playtime. I just ended up opening my joycon, tearing down the stick enclosure and cleaned it all, now it feels like brand new.
Just did this today myself after canned air was proving not to work. There's a bit of mechanical deadzone horizontally in the center now though; do either of you experience this? Basically, if I'm pressing straight up or down, it'll be biased towards whatever side I pressed last. I think it's because I noticed one of the contact arms was bent out of shape (probably because of me, I was a bit clumsy) and I tried to bend it back, but might've messed it up. Either way it's far preferable to the drifting stick.

OP
OP
Elfotografoalocado
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
1. Get some Electronic Contact Cleaner (heaps of brands make it, including WD-40 but DO NOT USE regular WD-40).
2. Detach Joy-cons and make sure they're turned off.
3. Move the joy-con stick to one side and, using a toothpick, needle or similar, peel up the small rubber flap underneath the joy-con stick.
4. Spray a small amount of cleaner into the opening under the rubber flap. Note that doing this whilst keeping the rubber flap up can be very finicky.
5. Repeat on the other 3 sides and wait 2-3 minutes for the cleaner to dry.
6. Attach and re-calibrate the joy-cons.
Oh, I know, people use regular WD40 on the strangest places. Seen people use it as degreaser for bikes, and even on the brake calipers :(
Thanks for the more detailed process. It's not necessary to wipe down the dirt, or is it enough with some circular motions?

Last edited:

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I have an issue with the left one where it sometimes registers an 'up' input when I clearly just go left or right. This is litterally killing me sometimes in Hollow Knight.