• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Hello everybody,

I just bought my tv on Monday and today I was watching Netflix when all of a sudden my tv turned off. I tried to turn it back on and now it keeps going on and off and makes a clicking sound. I called LG and I'm getting a repair guy on Thursday to come by. I just this its crazy! TV isnt even a week old and had a huge issue! Anyone have any ideas what could of happened? I have a 1 year and 3 year warranty with LG and the place I bought it so I know I'll get my TV working again but it's just annoying!

Freestyler

Oct 27, 2017
Power surge possible? Or do you have it connected to a receiver/amp/HDMI splitter that could be controlling the LG TV without you doing anything?

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
That's awful. The warranty is what it is, but having to reassemble that shit is just annoying.

Mine has been mostly fine. But yesterday was the first time I noticed some odd, seemingly random dimming (it was on Disney+ Dolby Vision). No matter what I did, the aggressive dimming during scenes wouldn't stop, but I think it might've just been the show.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you just bought it, why not return it to the store? I would assume you're well within any exchange and return policy if you got it on Monday.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
If you just bought it, why not return it to the store? I would assume you're well within any exchange and return policy if you got it on Monday.
True, I'll see what the repair guy says on thursday and if he says I have to take it into LG I'll ask if it's better if I just return it and get a brand new LG

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
That's awful. The warranty is what it is, but having to reassemble that shit is just annoying.

Mine has been mostly fine. But yesterday was the first time I noticed some odd, seemingly random dimming (it was on Disney+ Dolby Vision). No matter what I did, the aggressive dimming during scenes wouldn't stop, but I think it might've just been the show.
Was the dimming during dark scenes?

Leona Lewis

Oct 25, 2017
Was the dimming during dark scenes?
It was weird. During neutrally lit scenes, it would gradually get darker and darker, and then suddenly ratchet up the brightness once the shot changed (at which point it would darken again until the next shot, rinse and repeat).

If anyone wants to test it out, it was Ep. 9 of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (technical issues aside, it's surprisingly great!).

Mike Works

Oct 28, 2017
It was weird. During neutrally lit scenes, it would gradually get darker and darker, and then suddenly ratchet up the brightness once the shot changed (at which point it would darken again until the next shot, rinse and repeat).

If anyone wants to test it out, it was Ep. 9 of High School Musical: The Musical: The Series (technical issues aside, it's surprisingly great!).
Google 'ABL' if you're unfamiliar with it. Often happens during dark scenes that last longer than a minute.

Oct 25, 2017
Just return it to the store, you get a lemon

It happened to me with a non-LG tv years ago, the repair guy just said to take it back to the store since it was only 2 days

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Oct 25, 2017

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have it exchanged OP, I got a c9 but didn't have that problem. I got a b7 with a screen problem and I have it replaced asap. LG Oled from my experience have been great outside of B7 (been an owner since B6)

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Definitely return it if possible.
When I bought my C8 it had a screen flaw and I just called the store and they came over and replaced it.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
True, I'll see what the repair guy says on thursday and if he says I have to take it into LG I'll ask if it's better if I just return it and get a brand new LG

Unless it is different in Canada, LG's warranty is for in-home repair, so you won't have to take it into a shop. The repair person will look at your TV, and if they determine some part is defective they will come back and replace it in your home.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Have you tried updating the firmware on it? My TCL did something similar until I updated the firmware and it stopped doing it.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Unless it is different in Canada, LG's warranty is for in-home repair, so you won't have to take it into a shop. The repair person will look at your TV, and if they determine some part is defective they will come back and replace it in your home.
Yeah I called Leon's they said they will exchange it if the repair guy says they cant fix it. That's a bummer. :/

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a faulty mainboard, my old LG started doing the same last month, it also lost signal to all three HDMI ports. I had to replace some tiny ceramic caps near the power socket and reflow the CPU to fix the HDMI.

Your repair man will probably straight swap the board. I'd have taken that shit back

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like a faulty mainboard, my old LG started doing the same last month, it also lost signal to all three HDMI ports. I had to replace some tiny ceramic caps near the power socket and reflow the CPU to fix the HDMI.

Your repair man will probably straight swap the board. I'd have taken that shit back
Yeah I wish I could take it back but we shall see what he says.

OP
OP
Star-Lord

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
Update: this shit is a nightmare! So I get a call yesterday from the company whos suppose to fix my tv and they tell me pretty much they'll call me again when the part comes in, lg told me an appointment on Thursday the lady laughs and says no and says we'll call.you next time to make an appointment. I'm pissed! Two weeks without a TV and I called Leon's and blasted two people and the one guy says he might make "exception" for me if I can confirm again today that they wont be there Thursday. I just want a working new tv it waant even a week old when it broke. Why the fuck is it this hard to return or exchange a tv?!