• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
* First Equestria Girls movie happens between season 3 and 4, but I'll leave out EQG mentions from here on.
* Twilight is a princess now. She has a nice song about her doubts.
* The Elements of Harmony came from something called the Tree of Harmony, which over the course of the series gains more sapience, until it actually develops an avatar that looks like Twilight Sparkle.
* It turns out even when he's good, Discord is still a jerk. He actually has a pretty long and subtle story arc of chilling out over the course of the series. Eventually he becomes close friends with Spike and Big Mac, and has a pretty heavily implied crush on Fluttershy.
* Daring Do is real and becomes a recurring character. It's weird.
* Pinkie's sisters are properly introduced, and they're all super popular. Maud especially, despite not actually being in Pinkie's season 1 flashback.
* Twilight has a freaking DBZ fight with a villain named Tirek, who destroys her library. It gets replaced with a castle.

* It turns out the castle is connected to the Tree of Harmony, which displays friendship problems on a map. Using this, they discover a cult run by Starlight Glimmer and stop her. One of the former cult members, Sugar Belle, later dates and then marries Big Mac.
* Rarity opens stores outside Ponyville, each with its own supporting cast.
* There's an episode focused on background ponies like Derpy, Dr. Hooves, Lyra, and Bon Bon.
* The Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks. Other songs in that episode are really good too, BTW.
* Yaks are introduced as a recurring species.
* Starlight uses freaking time travel to get revenge on Twilight. Twilight friendships her. Like with Discord, her reformation actually lasts much longer than this song implies.

* Cadance and Shining Armor have an alicorn baby, Flurry Heart. She's a force of destruction. If you're wondering, no, this still hasn't gotten an explanation.
* Starlight's childhood friend Sunburst becomes a pretty major recurring character.
* After screwing up in season 2, they eventually revisit dragon culture and make it, well, not junk. In particular, Dragon Lord Ember (formerly Princess) becomes a recurring character.
* Trixie becomes a recurring character, and Starlight's love interest best friend.
* Rainbow Dash joins the Wonderbolts. It's oddly underplayed.
* By season 6, they mostly stop having "Fluttershy is shy" episodes. She's consistently pretty assertive in her focus episodes.
* They introduce a good changeling, Thorax.
* Starlight, Trixie, Discord, and Thorax defeat Queen Chrysalis. The latter takes her place as ruler of the changelings, and they all transform into brightly colored forms once they accept friendship.

* Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's families are both introduced. Fluttershy has a younger brother (who is an adult, not a colt), Rainbow is an only child.
* Celestia and Luna actually start getting focus episodes.
* Apple Parents shown in a flashback.
* One of the best songs of the show not already linked happens.
* Starswirl the Bearded and other ancient heroes are brought to modern times. Starswirl turns out to be a jerk, but he's friendshipped.

* The Movie happens. Despite no characters from it showing up again (except for Capper in the background once), it has surprisingly big repercussions.
* Hippogriffs are introduced as a recurring species. They can transform into seaponies.
* The Mane Six decide to open a school to spread friendship, so something like the Storm King's invasion won't happen again.
* The Student Six are introduced: Gallus the griffon, Smolder the dragon, Yona the yak, Silverstream the hippogriff, Ocellus the changeling, and Sandbar the earth pony. They end up having connections to the Elements of Harmony too.
* The next villain is Cozy Glow, a normal filly that joined the school but then decided to drain all magic from Equestria.

* The newest villain, Grogar, has gathered all the other living villains together for a plan to be enacted in the series finale. They have a song.
* Celestia and Luna are retiring, and Twilight and the others will take over for them. This has been the season long arc.

There, with more info than needed, yet still leaving a lot out.

Congratulations. When I saw that they wanted a recap since Season 3, I instantly gave up. I think the only major thing missing from your recap is you don't make it clear how significant and prominent a character Starlight is. She's not at quite the level of the Mane 6, but she's at least at Spike's level.

Oct 27, 2017
London
I stopped watching since 2013. Man, it's been going on for so long now. I remember it exploding in popularity on the internet, and I started watching it when it did become a sensation. Should try to catch up on it and see if it still holds my interest.

Queen

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
MLP somehow remains pretty consistently good for the whole show. If you made it through Season 3 the worst is definitely behind you

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
SigmasonicX left out the most important bit of news in his recap.
Starlight Glimmer adopted her own pet, Phyllis.

And then Trixie dumped her in the trash.

Also, Luna finds the work of mail ponies to be fascinating...

2055429.gif

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's a shame that the show seems to be going out on a whimper though. I didn't even realize that it was ending until very recently and it feels like if it had ended even a year or two ago, the internet would be a lot louder about it compared to this strange, quiet end we're getting.

A significant contributing factor was that the whole season was leaked (with full episodes)... just like the last season, and the season before that. Whole communities died out from the number of people afraid to engage in discussions anymore for fear of spoilers. Like me.

Remnants

Prophet of Regret
Jul 18, 2019
I didnt realize how much I missed this show til I saw this thread. Stopped watching after S4.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Still have yet to watch season 9, but came here to say it's been a long road ahead and was glad to have seen the series. Didn't actually check it out until a year later, when someone randomly posted gifs of the show on another gaming forum.

Earlier part of the series was definitely significant in starting the new '10s of animations; fitting in that we are almost close to the end of the 2010 decade.

I'd want to express my gratitude to the crew that helped develop the episodes and to the voice actors that help bring such iconic characters to life. But most importantly to Lauren Faust herself. Even if she did stop working on episodes after season 1, plus the first 2 season 2 episodes I'll nonetheless be thankful for creating the show itself.

And would like to commend Sigma for contributing to maintaining the FiM community.

I guess we'll see how gen 5 will go, but it's probably a show I likely won't spend time watching, but wishing the best of luck to any cast and crew that will work on what will surface.

zzz

Oct 27, 2017
*ahem*
I've gotten complaints before about only talking about stuff in two parters and not character development related stuff, so...

* First Equestria Girls movie happens between season 3 and 4, but I'll leave out EQG mentions from here on.
* Twilight is a princess now. She has a nice song about her doubts.
* The Elements of Harmony came from something called the Tree of Harmony, which over the course of the series gains more sapience, until it actually develops an avatar that looks like Twilight Sparkle.
* It turns out even when he's good, Discord is still a jerk. He actually has a pretty long and subtle story arc of chilling out over the course of the series. Eventually he becomes close friends with Spike and Big Mac, and has a pretty heavily implied crush on Fluttershy.
* Daring Do is real and becomes a recurring character. It's weird.
* Pinkie's sisters are properly introduced, and they're all super popular. Maud especially, despite not actually being in Pinkie's season 1 flashback.
* Twilight has a freaking DBZ fight with a villain named Tirek, who destroys her library. It gets replaced with a castle.

* It turns out the castle is connected to the Tree of Harmony, which displays friendship problems on a map. Using this, they discover a cult run by Starlight Glimmer and stop her. One of the former cult members, Sugar Belle, later dates and then marries Big Mac.
* Rarity opens stores outside Ponyville, each with its own supporting cast.
* There's an episode focused on background ponies like Derpy, Dr. Hooves, Lyra, and Bon Bon.
* The Cutie Mark Crusaders got their cutie marks. Other songs in that episode are really good too, BTW.
* Yaks are introduced as a recurring species.
* Starlight uses freaking time travel to get revenge on Twilight. Twilight friendships her. Like with Discord, her reformation actually lasts much longer than this song implies.

* Cadance and Shining Armor have an alicorn baby, Flurry Heart. She's a force of destruction. If you're wondering, no, this still hasn't gotten an explanation.
* Starlight's childhood friend Sunburst becomes a pretty major recurring character.
* After screwing up in season 2, they eventually revisit dragon culture and make it, well, not junk. In particular, Dragon Lord Ember (formerly Princess) becomes a recurring character.
* Trixie becomes a recurring character, and Starlight's love interest best friend.
* Rainbow Dash joins the Wonderbolts. It's oddly underplayed.
* By season 6, they mostly stop having "Fluttershy is shy" episodes. She's consistently pretty assertive in her focus episodes.
* They introduce a good changeling, Thorax.
* Starlight, Trixie, Discord, and Thorax defeat Queen Chrysalis. The latter takes her place as ruler of the changelings, and they all transform into brightly colored forms once they accept friendship.

* Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash's families are both introduced. Fluttershy has a younger brother (who is an adult, not a colt), Rainbow is an only child.
* Celestia and Luna actually start getting focus episodes.
* Apple Parents shown in a flashback.
* One of the best songs of the show not already linked happens.
* Starswirl the Bearded and other ancient heroes are brought to modern times. Starswirl turns out to be a jerk, but he's friendshipped.

* The Movie happens. Despite no characters from it showing up again (except for Capper in the background once), it has surprisingly big repercussions.
* Hippogriffs are introduced as a recurring species. They can transform into seaponies.
* The Mane Six decide to open a school to spread friendship, so something like the Storm King's invasion won't happen again.
* The Student Six are introduced: Gallus the griffon, Smolder the dragon, Yona the yak, Silverstream the hippogriff, Ocellus the changeling, and Sandbar the earth pony. They end up having connections to the Elements of Harmony too.
* The next villain is Cozy Glow, a normal filly that joined the school but then decided to drain all magic from Equestria.

* The newest villain, Grogar, has gathered all the other living villains together for a plan to be enacted in the series finale. They have a song.
* Celestia and Luna are retiring, and Twilight and the others will take over for them. This has been the season long arc.

There, with more info than needed, yet still leaving a lot out.

EDIT: Oh, more. Added a song for the School of Friendship, and
* Spike has wings now.
Wow. This is far far more than I ever expected. Thanks for taking the time to break everything down!

Reading it all makes me want to finally watch the seasons I've missed, but at least I can now go into the finale with an idea of what's happened.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Congratulations. When I saw that they wanted a recap since Season 3, I instantly gave up. I think the only major thing missing from your recap is you don't make it clear how significant and prominent a character Starlight is. She's not at quite the level of the Mane 6, but she's at least at Spike's level.
Both of us forgot about Spike gaining wings, lol.

And I suppose people would be interested in that time the CMC used a magic flower to become adults for a bit.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot about even more.
* Scootaloo has parents!
* Lyra proposed to Bon Bon in the background of an episode.
thumb.gif

~~~

Bunch of tweets from the show crew about the ending

A bunch of fun facts

And a bit of plugging the next shows people are working on

Besides The Rocketeer, we also know MLP crew are working on DC Super Hero Girls (Faust, Larson, and others) and Netflix's Carmen Sandiego (animators).

~~~

2 hour warning! Or rather 1 hour and 51 minutes.

Reminder that we'll we streaming the final episodes when they air, so PM me or join the Discord server for details.

Last edited:

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
yeah, i remember when /mlp/ became a thing, lol.

maybe i will check the series out again one day, stopped following it after S2 back in the day

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, those were some episodes.

I think I'll wait a bit longer before posting spoilers, but I was very satisfied by them. With so much happening, there are some things people will be disappointed didn't get resolved, but a lot did. A lot more than I ever expected.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
2 Part finale was just like every other 2 part finale (except now the princesses got defeated TWICE!)

Great epilogue episode though. Very sweet. Not a big fan of giant-twilight's design though.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh, we're doing bingos?

2019bingo7.png

Double bingo! EDIT: Triple bingo!!

Added:
* Story begins with Celestia defeated (TEOTE part 2)
* RariLight shipping fuel went from ? to X *
* Older Flurry Heart appears (stained glass window in TLP)
* Equestria Girls character besides Flash (Sunset in last song's montage)
* Celestia leaves for her home planet
* Far future seen (TLP is far enough)
* Discord in love (TLP implying marriage with Fluttershy)
* Student Six Elements followup went from ? to X

* Monochromatic can confirm, that was some RariTwi ass RariTwi teasing. Also note that Rarity and Twilight are the only Mane Six not to be strongly teased to be paired up with someone.
BlushingGiganticCornsnake-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The reveal at the start of this finale was pretty dumb.

Otherwise, a great way to close out this series.
9 seasons is pretty long run. Enjoyed a lot of it.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The reveal at the start of this finale was pretty dumb.

Otherwise, a great way to close out this series.
9 seasons is pretty long run. Enjoyed a lot of it.

I would have been fine with the Grogar reveal if Discord's plan had been trying to get them to become friends, and in his own weird way, try to reform them. Him just trying to screw with Twilight was just stupid.

Oct 25, 2017
I would have been fine with the Grogar reveal if Discord's plan had been trying to get them to become friends, and in his own weird way, try to reform them. Him just trying to screw with Twilight was just stupid.
It wasn't really screwing with her. He was creating the final scenario to help her prepare for her rule, only to backfire spectacularly.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Looking at that GIF I posted, can I just say I adore that Cozy Glow was turned into an alicorn? It's just so dumb but perfect.

EDIT:

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I loved it.

I'm kind of surprised that I do. Endings are hard. And I know not everyone was thrilled with how it all played out.

But no, I loved it. I'm so happy.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Oh that's incredible. I was so focused on Sunset's cameo appearance that I completely missed that friggin' Flash Sentry was there too.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's incredible. I was so focused on Sunset's cameo appearance that I completely missed that friggin' Flash Sentry was there too.
Flash already appeared a couple times in season 4, so him appearing isn't that remarkable compared to Sunset.

On another note, here's a nice view of the aged up Ponyvillians.
medium.png

I like Older Diamond Tiara, but, uh
2166897.png

I guess some fillies have to grow up into those occasional weirdly proportioned ponies. Good that she, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon seem to have formed a friend group, at least.

To erase that, there's a bunch of fanart for these episodes, of course. I'll just post this really pretty one for now.
medium.png

Princess Twilight by Celebi-Yoshi on DeviantArt

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to miss this show so much... It was a fantastic adventure, and the people behind it are kind individuals and genuises that I deeply respect.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
So, reading around, it looks like a lot of people were unhappy with the reveal that Grogar had actually died long ago, and the Grogar we'd seen the whole season was actually Discord in disguise.

I dunno, I was really happy with that twist. Grogar was such a nothing character that I feel it would've been underwhelming if he really was the "final boss" at the end.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
So, reading around, it looks like a lot of people were unhappy with the reveal that Grogar had actually died long ago, and the Grogar we'd seen the whole season was actually Discord in disguise.

I dunno, I was really happy with that twist. Grogar was such a nothing character that I feel it would've been underwhelming if he really was the "final boss" at the end.

I agree

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

I thought it made sense in retrospect. Grogar hardly got any focus this season, while we saw a ton of the other villains. As for how it reflects on Discord, it doesn't exactly make him look good, but I also thought it made sense for the character. He views things in a more meta way than the others, so he thought he could deliberately invoke the pattern of previous two parters in a controlled manner to increase friendship.

Making sure the focus villains were the villains people already liked was a good move, I felt. And here's a tweet saying that was their intention.

And as for Grogar, his bell means that a Grogar existed at one point, and he may still be lurking in the shadows. The Mandarin is getting a second shot in the MCU, so Grogar could too in the comics or fan content.

~~~

Tons and tons of tweets

School of Friendship was originally just ponies, but then they realized they could have more. Funny that the major overarching story for the rest of the series came from that decision.

On Twilight's friends dying before her, who knows what their magic exposure has done to them.

Luster Dawn is not Starlight and Sunburst's child.

Or maybe she is!

They left things open with the hope that fans will fill in the gaps themselves.

They never got a chance to explore what Cozy's deal actually is

Fitting everything in as is was a tall ask, so introducing Scorpan was too much. Plus Hasbro was already worried about the amount of continuity knowledge needed for these last episodes.

They chose not to use Sunset Shimmer in the show because it was the EQG crew that defined her and it didn't feel right to use her without their involvement.

No name determined for Big Mac and Sugar Belle's child. Jim suggests Big Sugar, but hopes fans will come up with something better.

The Endgame comparisons were a complete coincidence. The episode was in production eight months before Endgame came out.

And I'll embed this one. A brief look at a recording session for the last episode, featuring some line improvisation by Tabitha St. Germain.

It's still so weird watching Ashleigh Ball switch between her Rainbow and Applejack voices on the fly.

~~~

And there's still a bit more pony(ish) left. A promo aired for the EQG holiday special, Holidays Unwrapped, coming November 2nd. I'll just discuss this in the Hangouts thread once it airs. This is actually a collection of shorts, to be clear.

BTW, for those who missed yesterday's stream, we'll be streaming the episodes again in about 2 hours (or rather 1 hour and 52 minutes).

Last edited:

Veldin

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't watch the finale when it aired but I caught a recording later. I thought the ending was wonderful, but then I've never really been dissatisfied with the show. Very happy and sad at the same time. FiM has been this constant thing to watch and enjoy for the past nine years and I'm really going to miss it.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
So the Lyra and Bon Bon wedding announcement in The Last Problem came first, then they added the proposal to The Big Mac Question

On the subject, is it safe to say at this point that there isn't a shipping meltdown for this finale? It explicitly confirmed Lyra X Bon Bon and Pinkie X Cheese Sandwich, and strongly hinted at Applejack X Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy X Discord, and Yona X Sandbar. The closest I've seen to people getting upset is people continuing to draw Applejack X Rarity, which is perfectly fine, I think. And the people doing that aren't getting much push back. I don't really know what the threshold is for a shipping meltdown, though. Is a few people enough?

And also on the subject, I find it interesting how FiM went with Applejack X Rainbow Dash, but Equestria Girls has been pushing Applejack X Rarity really hard, to the EQG staff's own admission. It's actually a nice lesson to have the pairings differ across dimensions, I think. It shows that there isn't a DESTINED person for you and, in fact, multiple people could each be valid partners.

~~~

There's a crazy amount of fan art. Not entirely sure how I'll handle it; maybe just the best of the best here, and the rest over in the Hangouts thread? Anyway, here's a pretty well done edit. Warning: dark.

I'm pretty sure these guys caused it.
medium.jpeg

Season 10 villains right there.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
There's a crazy amount of fan art. Not entirely sure how I'll handle it; maybe just the best of the best here, and the rest over in the Hangouts thread? Anyway, here's a pretty well done edit. Warning: dark.

It's funny, I've been seeing a lot more chatter about Fallout: Equestria then I've seen in quite a while. It seems like the accidental reference to FO:E in the finale sparked some renewed interest (or easy meme fodder, at least).

fony

Feb 17, 2018
Two parter

Discord being Grogar came out of nowhere. I'm ambivalent towards it.

Despite what the story shows, it didn't feel like the combined villains were that much of a thread. Something felt lacking in the presentation that I can't quite put my finger on. Like, if you think about what happened (the racial divide, the fallen pillars), they should be trouble but it just doesn't feel that way.

And so sending multiple armies against them in the end felt more like overkill to me.

Twilight sulking and then turning around could have been much better, imo. It just felt like the conversation wasn't going anywhere and then she's convinced. Maybe not the first time something like this happens though. Magical mystery cure comes to mind.

There were a few battles which were nice. Starlight vs Crysalis and Mane Six vs Cozy Glow in the castle. Kind of usual for MLP, but still nice. Really didn't like Tirek vs pillars on the other hand.

Oh and teleport abuse. Teleport abuse everywhere! Even Pinkie does it. People can now stop complaining that ponies forget to teleport when needed.

Overall, it was alright 2 parter but was hoping for more.

Epilogue

So. Much. Stuff. I'm really glad they put this in instead of not saying much on anything.

My brain hasn't really settled on the actual things that happened in the future yet. So many ships.

This has the same problem as the 2-parter and other episodes: Luster Dawn is convinced way too quickly.

I'm glad there's also a main plot to this (coronation day) even though its an epilogue.

The ending song showing ponyville and everyone was pretty nice.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Despite what the story shows, it didn't feel like the combined villains were that much of a thread. Something felt lacking in the presentation that I can't quite put my finger on. Like, if you think about what happened (the racial divide, the fallen pillars), they should be trouble but it just doesn't feel that way.
I thought in-story, it worked, but compared to things like Chrysalis replacing basically everyone back in "To Where and Back Again" and Tirek absorbing everyone's magic in "Twilight's Kingdom", and Cozy draining everything's magic in "School Raze", it does feel oddly small in scale. There was also the unfired Chekov's Gun of not just the chaos magic in the bell but also the Princess's magic. Perhaps that was fired at some point in an earlier version of the script, but it took up too much time.

~~~

Alright, like I mentioned before, I'm going to post the art I really liked out of all the art, and I'll post the remaining ones in Hangouts on a later date. There's still a lot.

Jojo reference video

FlutterCord comic by sadistjolt
tall.jpeg

Art in upload order, starting from leak-based art.

1.Luster Dawn by techycutie
2.Li'l Cheese and her parents by switchsugar
3.Forever together by Marbola on DeviantArt - Older Hug
4.Big sparkle horse by nutty-stardragon on DeviantArt - Older Twilight
5.Rainbow Dash 2019 by 1AN1 on DeviantArt - Older
medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Older Mane Six and princesses by forgottenrabbit28blr
2.The CheesePie Fam by ArtsiePeach on DeviantArt
3.Luster Dawn (spoiler!) by Perilun on DeviantArt
4.Rarity (Spoiler) by RedHeartPoniesFan on DeviantArt
5.MLP:FiM - Good Bye! by riukime on DeviantArt - Older hug
medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1.Luster Dawn and Older Twilight by shadowreindeer
2.Queen Chrysalis by Steffanie-Remony on DeviantArt
3.CHAOS by Pegasister223 on DeviantArt - Chaos Cozy Glow
4.Tempest by mangoshibi
5.Princess Flurry Heart (adult) by Rosereade on DeviantArt
medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

2144874.png

1.better in color by FIoweress on DeviantArt - EQG Rarity X Applejack, Pony Applejack X Rainbow
2.Ts by qq961130277 on DeviantArt - Crying Twilight
3.Princess twilight sparkle by Shu-jeantte on DeviantArt - Horse
4.Princess Twilight by Perilun on DeviantArt - Older
5.Immortal gfs by IncendiaryBoobs on DeviantArt - Luna X Older Twilight
medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

This group starts including art posted post-US-airing.

1.came a long way - Twilight by waterz-colrxz on DeviantArt
2.Pinkie and Baby Li'l Cheese by hiccupsdoesart
3.Older Twilight by not-ordinary-pony
4.Together forever by RaikohIllust on DeviantArt - Lyra and Bon Bon wedding
5.Huge Spike and Older Twilight by the-blackeye
medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.MLP Friendship Forever 9 years gift - by Light262 by Light262 on DeviantArt
2.Thank you by LooknamTCN on DeviantArt - Older hug
3.Older Mane Six by pinweena30
4.after a long time by RenoKim on DeviantArt - Older Twilight who is sad
5.Passing The Torch by theluckyangel on DeviantArt - Twilight, Celestia, Older Twilight, and Luster Dawn
medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1.Finally by Waackery on DeviantArt - Older Fluttershy X Discord
2.Thank You (2010 - 2019) by kimjoman on DeviantArt - Older hug
3.Applejack X Rarity through the ages by tcn1205
4.Sweet Peace by IBrainWashedYou on DeviantArt - Rainbow X Applejack, with Big Mac and Sugar Belle's child
5.Endgame by CalvinLaudrensio on DeviantArt - Starlight like a boss
medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1.Older Hug by wildetrashbag
2.Older Twilight crying by jadekettu
3.Older Twilight and Luster Dawn by motger-mor
4.Older almost hug by motger-mor
5.Friendship Will Always Be Magic (ending) by LinaVillain on DeviantArt
medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Twilight's Coronation by luminaura on DeviantArt
2.AppleDash Forever by johnjoseco on DeviantArt
3.Queen Twilight Sparkle by Marbola on DeviantArt
4.Older Twilight reading a book by acesential
medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

And this isn't even a quarter of the art.

Probably should have, like, pointed out details in the episode itself before making an art dump, come to think of it. Well, whatever.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I thought in-story, it worked, but compared to things like Chrysalis replacing basically everyone back in "To Where and Back Again" and Tirek absorbing everyone's magic in "Twilight's Kingdom", and Cozy draining everything's magic in "School Raze", it does feel oddly small in scale. There was also the unfired Chekov's Gun of not just the chaos magic in the bell but also the Princess's magic. Perhaps that was fired at some point in an earlier version of the script, but it took up too much time.

The pony tribes turning against each other / the Windigos was intended to be the "large scale conflict" paralleling the main baddies. I actually quite liked the scene where the Windigos first appeared and the villains seemed equally freaked out by it. Really, those things are the true Big Bads of the series. They can't be permanently defeated and are ready to pounce the instant ponies falter.

I don't think previous versions of the script were different. The chaos magic thing was setting up the final joke where Pinkie absorbed it and shut up Chrysalis's ranting by dropping a giant cupcake on the gang. And the Princess's magic thing was just to ensure that Celestia and Luna remain useless, as is a two-parter tradition.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The pony tribes turning against each other / the Windigos was intended to be the "large scale conflict" paralleling the main baddies. I actually quite liked the scene where the Windigos first appeared and the villains seemed equally freaked out by it. Really, those things are the true Big Bads of the series. They can't be permanently defeated and are ready to pounce the instant ponies falter.

I don't think previous versions of the script were different. The chaos magic thing was setting up the final joke where Pinkie absorbed it and shut up Chrysalis's ranting by dropping a giant cupcake on the gang. And the Princess's magic thing was just to ensure that Celestia and Luna remain useless, as is a two-parter tradition.
Yeah, the villains reacting to the Windigos was good. I'm surprised that didn't result in them teaming up with the heroes. I suppose that would have then needed more time to either have them reform or fight the heroes anyway after getting rid of the Windigos.

The chaos magic was meant to set up the Pinkie joke, yeah, but I think it would have addressed fony's complaint if during the final battle, Tirek was huge like the end of "Twilight's Kingdom" and Cozy was in her chaos form and Chrysalis was... red or something. Make it feel more like these are the strongest threats ever.

~~~

They put up these fun "behind the scenes" clips on Instagram.

1.JPG

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tomor... oh, wait.

Well, thus starts the Saturdays without any new FiM episodes.

~~~

Made this post about "The Ending of the End" on another board.

I enjoyed this two-parter. I didn't expect the Grogar twist, but in retrospect, the other villains were the ones who got focus in the previous episodes, and Big Jim's tweet that they wanted to focus on the villains people already care about rather than the new one makes sense. Pillars fight aside, all the action scenes were fun; I especially like Alicorn Cozy Glow.

I was expecting the villains to have to team up with the others to stop the Windigos, but I'm fine with them being stoned. The epilogue doesn't show the statue (only in the flashback train ride), so one can easily assume they were released and reformed like Discord.

And adding onto that post.

I had a discussion on Discord about the fact that Discord basically broke out villains out and was behind their ability to perform the big crimes they did, yet was involved in their punishment and got off with little on-screen punishment. I definitely would have preferred that he at least be uninvited from the coronation. The person I talked to also didn't like that the villains were turned to stone after they were already defeated, but I viewed the stone punishment as inherently temporary like Discord the second time, as opposed to lasting a thousand years like for Discord the first time. Basically, I subscribe to the fanon that they at least attempted to reform them in between the coronation and the epilogue.

And I made this post about "The Last Problem" on that same other board.

I liked this ending a lot. It's probably the most solid ending of all the big '10s cartoons, and went in directions I would have never expected from this show. People were calling this ending safe, but really, did anyone seriously expect the ending to show them 20-something years older with bags under their eyes, gray hair, and with children? Especially back in season one.

Concerning Twilight not aging the same way as the others, I find it more interesting this way, really. And if they aged normally, then someone would have to die before everyone else anyway. And Spike would still live longer than the ponies.

BTW, there was a lot of confusion on Twitter and elsewhere about the fact that Li'l Cheese was intended to be male, and just has feminine features because he's adorable. Known colts like Rumble already have the round snout, and male background colts have had eyelashes. Still, totally going to write Li'l Cheese as nonbinary or otherwise non-cis, as part of a conspiracy with other fanfic writers.

~~~

About that last part,

And yes, I really do plan on writing a short fanfic where Li'l Cheese is nonbinary.

Random things to note from the episodes:
* They remembered that Rockhoof got his size and strength through magic, so he reverted to his normal wimpy self when drained.
* This is the only two parter with Shining Armor where he doesn't get his ass kicked.
* Equestrians Assemble - Even Greta the Griffon is here! You remember Greta, right? That griffon Gilda wanted to befriend in "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone".
* Besides Tempest, Skystar and Novo also appear in the episode.
* Discord references Tirek's father, King Vorak. This is from the comics. Discord appears in that issue, and since Discord knows about Vorak, I suppose this issue as a whole is more canon than it was before.
* It was good to see the girls eat at Donut Joe's, to match up with the season one finale. It's also like the end of Avengers with the shawarma, of course.
medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpg

* In the last episode, Spike mentions the Abyssinians not getting along with the Diamond Dogs. Abyssinian is the name of Capper's species from the comics, so this is about cats and dogs.
* We see a bit of a stained glass window with Sweetie Belle and presumably the other CMC, showing they save the day at some point. Also this has the other stained glass. The Student Six fight a red monster of some kind. This isn't the G1 villain Lavan; he was a humanoid lava demon. We also see Flurry Heart as an adult. Many assume this means Shining Armor and Cadance retired, but I don't see why it has to mean that.
* Lyra and Bon Bon wedding picture
* Rumble is cooking for Gordon Ramsay pony
* The spiders have tiny sewing machines - Unpaid labor!
* That coronation dress is really pretty
* Crowd shot - Twi parents, Tempest, Capper, and Rose and Doctor Hooves holding hooves.
* Treehugger blazed out of her mind - She has this expression the entire time she's on screen.
* Did you notice Twilight's line in the last song, "Oh and how I used to wonder / what friendship could be"? And how the "ah ah ah" between those lines is like that in the intro?
medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

2128448.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

And yes, I'll make Blazed Treehugger the last screencap ever.

About the last song, it was pointed out on Discord that the beginning is actually very similar to another MLP song.

It's even the same singer.
The weird thing about "Embrace the Magic" is that I keep forgetting it exists.

~~~

Bunch of videos

MrPoniator used to make a sprite animation for each episode, and he came back for the finale.

There are some good remixes and covers for the final song.

Some nice tribute PMVs and a song

And for now, I suppose I don't have anything else to add.

EDIT: Oh wait, there is something else! Fanfics! If you want post-finale stuff, check these out.

One of the first good post-finale stories in general, this is a RariTwi story that will never be contradicted.

The very first Luster Dawn fanfic!

www.fimfiction.net

A Slice of Cheese

If everyone could see themselves as L'il Cheese saw them, the world would be a much brighter place. A story about love in the shape of laughter.

And the very first Li'l Cheese fanfic!

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I liked this ending a lot. It's probably the most solid ending of all the big '10s cartoons, and went in directions I would have never expected from this show. People were calling this ending safe, but really, did anyone seriously expect the ending to show them 20-something years older with bags under their eyes, gray hair, and with children? Especially back in season one.

I agree. I'm genuinely surprised Hasbro didn't shoot down the idea of ending the show with the Mane 6 in their mid-40s/50s. This is a toyline after all—cute plastic ponies sold to little girls, with the main revenue stream being toys of these characters specifically. I would think that there's some pretty specific and inflexible rules on the branding and portrayal of them.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Alright I said I was going to write up my thoughts on the finale or else Celestia was going to banish me to the moon if. So, let's write up the thoughts.

Firstly lets do some backstory to the whole thing with the show. I've been watching since Mid-Season 1 of FIM. Like many others I saw the surge of memes going online around 2011 and got into the show right when A Dog and Pony Show aired. After that basically got hooked and watched the show continously, and I associate the show a lot with Uni life as it basically came on during the first year of Uni (I guess something similar happened with Spongebob for the generation before me).

At around Season 6 I was wavering on the show a bit and just generally having a bad time in life losing my job that year and being out of a position for most of the year (Oh and it was 2016, go figure). I wanted to jump back on in Gen 7, although 2017 had... let's say really bad family related matters. I did however watch the Movie at the end of the year. And I enjoyed it...then I watched the film a couple more times... 4 times in the cinema in total. Hehe. Watching the movie decided to tell me to watch the rest of the show. It was just getting to a backlog of an entire season was a little daunting at the time, and I didn't watch season 8 because of it (I joined PonyEra at that time but didn't want to get through the whole season at once). When Season 9 was announced as the last one though. I made it an effort to get through both a backlog of 7 and 8 just to be ready in time for the final season. And I'm glad I did as I enjoyed both seasons. I'm of the minority that prefers Season 8 over Season 7. Most say the opposite. I think I prefer that because I prefer the big new characters of Season 8 (The Student 6 and Cozy Glow) over the new characters of Season 7 (The Pillars and Stygian).

Season 9 has been a fun ride wrapping things up, It does feel like the conclusion season trying to wrap everything up it can, and I believe it does that to a good degree. It also brings back some of the more popular villains of the whole show (That weren't reformed yet) for the Villainous Team Up was great. Frienemies being my personal favourite episode of the season. My personal life however has yet again also being a wild ride on it as well, with my job being made redundant around the episode 17 this season (Summer Sun Setback amusingly enough). Though my job eventually came back to me and offered the position back... just 2 weeks ago. My start date going back was the day after the final episodes aired.

So deciding it would be the final weekend before working again, I booked a ticket for UK Ponycon to watch it with a bunch of other Pony fans that day. I had wonderful time whilst there seeing all sorts of various people, enjoying some nice music and some nice fan made merch including a cute Tempest Poster. If you were there you may have spotted me with my Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza Plush Ponies so if you said hi, thanks very much. Unfortunately my Sunday was... not great. I fell badly ill over night and was ill for basically the entire convention day, having to actually get some medical aid and abandon the convention before the end of the day. That sucked. I do have to give personal thanks to the two individuals who gave me a Britannia Seapony plush to cheer me up. That's one of the nicest things someone has done all year to me. So massive thanks to you two.

PRE-AMBLE OVER, NOW HERE BE SPOILERS

Alright, so the finale itself. Let's start with The Ending of the End. Whilst It's a bit of a Surprise that we don't get Grogar as an actual threat for the finale (Something I've seen be compared to Snoke of The Last Jedi), seeing the powered up versions of Chyrsalis, Tirek and Cozy Glow was a blast. Espicially Princess Cozy Glow. Discord wanting to give Twilight one final task to boost her confidence fits his Q-Like Nature. I don't know if Twilight would entirely feel like all of her past failures didn't matter, but adding in Coronation nerves probably does throw things off (And it's not like this is the first time Twilight over-panics on things). It gives all her friends a good moment to give her encouragement as well. The division of the entire ponies could have been something they have been setting up a bit more over the season. It's a little tacked on (Although ironically if they made it too obvious, the Mane Cast would have noticed sooner). But again, show is designed to be watched in any order, so they couldn't have done super huge continuity and MLP generally has better continuity and progression than most shows anyway. The fight sequences for this are good fun to watch. Starlight VS Chrysalis and Mane 6 VS Cozy being stand-outs here.

The prison break of Part 2 gives Discord some fun lines (Including his fight efforts of throwing rocks) though the Alicorn Magic in Grogars Bell doesn't real get a big payoff, Celestia and Luna are still fairly decent fighters even without magic. The reveal that the Wendigos are now present due to the splitting of Equestria is a fun callback and even the Villains not knowing what to do with them is fun. Implies there are threats even beyond some of the shows biggest of bads teamed together. The weirdest part of the episode reveals itself here after Twilight gets her confidence back. Cadence and Shining offer they aid to help out, but Twilight tells them they need to defend Flurry Heart again... and that's basically the last major thing for Cadence and Shining. Considering Cadence is one of the royal Princesses. She's proabably the one that gets screwed over the most in the finale with nothing really to do. Maybe Cadence and Shining could have gotten a message from Sunburst telling them what happened with the Pillars and Cadence and Shining could have helped them out after the Tirek's defeat... but that's probably a time constraints to get that. There's already so many characters to juggle in 44 minutes anyway.

Which leads to what is essentially the Avenger's Endgame finale for the final battle. Quite amusing considering this would have been made long before Endgame even came out. Even the "Get the Bell" aspect ties in as well. And there's a lot of easter eggs to spot here as well as the final episode (Hi Tempest, nice you came along as well). The final gag with Pinkie being able to control Discord's Chaos Magic is great and I'm sure the fanfic is being written right now. Turning them to Stone seems appropriate too, it's amusing how Steven Universe has reformed more villains than MLP has now. I wonder if the comics might let someone try to reform the 3 of them, sorta like Discord and Fluttershy. Maybe could be something to play with in the future. And the post-apocalypse donuts is an old, but nice final breather for the finale.

Now for The Last Problem. And the flash forward to the future to see everyone grown up is real nice, the designs feel appropriate and fun to see, Spike is a little weird propotionally but that's the only complaint. Pinkie and Rainbow Dash design stand out the most of the bunch. Applejack having Granny Smith's Scarf was an interesting decision, one that let's you come up with your own opinion with what happened with Granny Smith, Apple Bloom also had Goldie's Shawl as well. There is also the implied pairings of ponies in the finale too (Include the official Lyra and Bon Bon one which is sweet). Even the Stain Glass window shows that more stories have been happening even inbetween the time gap. Luster Dawn also matches the naming convention of our previous mane characters of Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer. So nice name choice. This was the big goodbye episode I always thought MLP would be ending on and they handle it right. It does feel like an appropriate ending for the show. The Coronation being a bit of a disaster is also fun, reminds me back in Season 1 Gala Episode with that going disastrously as well but all of them finding the joy in it. The book of memories Spike and Starlight make would make for a real nice DVD/Blu Ray box set in the future for the whole show as a collectors item. The Magic of Friendship Grows is a bittersweet song to close the series on, I'm hoping a big art-piece of all the characters will get released sometime soon.

I'm also really happy the show ended with the book closing.

So, that's it right? No more Ponies. Well, I wouldn't say that. Personally I still have a few of the Equestria Girls specials to watch left (Only seen the first and Rainbow Rocks along with the last one with Sunset Shimmer). There's still going to be Comic's releasing which is donning a Season 10 title. The CGI Movie is due for 2021 (Hopefully they've improved on the CG since the first film). And then we'll get Gen 5 shortly. I know there will certainly be discourse when Gen 5 get's revealed (Heck, I already saw that when Equestria Girls and Alicorn Sparkle got revealed back to back) but I imagine Gen 5 isn't going to try and stray super far from the grounding Gen 4 laid for the series. We may even see new takes on Twilight and the Gang for it, as I imagine Hasbro would be using the Mane 6 as the face for the series going forward sorta like how Optimus, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream are the faces Transformers, heck. Apparantly Warner Bros is going to have some MLP in their planned Funko Pops movie, wonder who will be voicing Pinkie Pie in that. (Can't wait for that Platinum Games MLP Action-Beat-Em-Up in the future though, Give this to me please). I hope it keeps with the Fantasy Setting, as that's one of the biggest reasons I really like MLP with all it's various creatures from all fantasies (And why I haven't been grabbed by DC Super Hero Girls yet. The characters are fun indeed in that show... but the School Setting is something i'm less enthusiastic on. Plus DC Heroes and Villains that I may know about from the comics aren't as fun for me as stuff like Timberwolves, Wendigos and Kirins.) So I'll stick around and see what the fanbase has to hold. This is the ride that will never end.

Right, now to carry on listening through the MLP Song Tracks so I can pick my 25 favourites of the entire run. Gotta be ready for all the "Best of" polls we'll be doing to bide the time between generations.