• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Season 9 will be the last season of Friendship is Magic, but this is definitely not the end for My Little Pony – in fact, it's just the beginning! As we continue development on our all new CGI movie, we are dedicated to continuing our beloved stories told on multi-platforms and in the coming months we will be able to share our exciting new content plans that promise to entertain and delight our fans in more magical ways than ever before. Stay tuned for updates!

If this news sounds familiar, then it's because this was leaked back in December 2017, but now it's been confirmed.

Friendship is Magic started in October 2010 on The Hub, where it quickly caught people's attention by being far better than what they came to except from the My Little Pony franchise. There's no arguing that it blew up due to attention on places like 4chan, but the part that people tend to ignore is that it's also popular with the actual target audience of little girls, and they make up a much larger chunk of the audience than "bronies".

The popularity of Friendship is Magic resulted in the Equestria Girls spinoff being created, and it's unclear what will happen with that. Though season 9 is ending this year, they've recently ramped up the presence of both FiM and Equestria Girls on YouTube and announced TV specials for both, which likely means more will come in between the end of the series proper and the 2021 movie.

Nine years in, this is still one of the most active fanbases I've ever been a part of. I can barely keep up with all the fan art that comes in every day. It's hard to say how many will stick around after this show ends for whatever comes next, but I'll certainly give it a shot. Even if it turns out weak, FiM has definitely shifted my perspective on MLP to more or less the same way I'd view Transformers, where even if one new show sucks, I'm completely willing to give the next a try.

Many of the big retrospective videos came out back during the leak, so I'm having a hard time finding them now. But I'd prefer not to focus on that anyway. Instead, I'll post a song from the latest TV special that also works as a final song.

And some recent-ish fan videos I like

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Sad to see it made official, but I could have sworn those same leaks also confirmed that EqG will continue on, even when FiM proper ends. If so, I guess that'll be how folks will get their G4 fix. Just keep sending the girls back to Equestria!

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
The show itself has broken the fourth wall to joke about how it's ending in Season 9, so this is a strangely delayed "confirmation".

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
but i cant go to diamond tiaras quinceanera without my cutie mark

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Worth mentioning that the upcoming CGI movie in 2021 is rumored to be a reboot for the franchise and be the start of a new Generation 5, so despite FIM ending it's by no means the end of MLP.

As OP mentions this has been a long time coming so it's not particularly surprising. I'm sort of ready for the show to move on to new things so if anything I'm looking forward to seeing if the next generation is good.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Going to miss this show, but I'll remain optimistic for want comes up afterwards.

I'm just surprised it managed to last so long, but glad to have been a fan until the end.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
if you really think about it the reboot is happening just to make applejack less boring

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Sad to see it made official, but I could have sworn those same leaks also confirmed that EqG will continue on, even when FiM proper ends. If so, I guess that'll be how folks will get their G4 fix. Just keep sending the girls back to Equestria!
All the leaked slides and emails regarding the show ending and the (now) 2021 movie simply didn't bring up Equestria Girls at all, as I recall, so we know nothing about how it will be handled.

I wonder how this will end. Is there anything serialised going on?
In terms of villains, everything has more or less been restricted to the bounds of a single season in the past, so there's nothing in particular already established for season 9 to resolve. I suppose Chrysalis is still around to get trounced before the end.

Season 8 did start a continuous story of the main characters running a school, so it's likely the final episodes will involve that.

The show itself has broken the fourth wall to joke about how it's ending in Season 9, so this is a strangely delayed "confirmation".
For context

Timestamp is at 1m 58s for the full context, but the actual line is at 2m 05s.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
They ran out of ways to have the pony demi-gods embarrassingly captured every season.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
No they had too many ideas on how to do that so they need a new show just to get to them all
"OK, so these interdimentional beings cross through Equestria and trick Celestia into trading her soul in exchange for hosting a Prime Time Cooking show on TV, and the only way Twilight can save her soul is the beat the beings in a cooking competition."

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
It's vague, but the way that's written, it sounds like they're planning to keep FiM going a little longer past the end of the season with another run of web-first shorts and specials before beginning the G5 push for real.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
It's vague, but the way that's written, it sounds like they're planning to keep FiM going a little longer past the end of the season with another run of web-first shorts and specials before beginning the G5 push for real.
Yeah, I imagine they'll do that. It'll be like the end of David Tennant's run on Doctor Who, where his last year was all specials.

Including some Equestria Girls love too

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017

I sure hope not. I want it to have a proper and definitive finale.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
First time I ever saw a reboot get that much attention.

People were crazy for this damn show on GAF when it came out. Watching more and more Avatars morph into ones from the show was bizarre. Then the whole "brony" thing and people getting mad at folks who made fun of them? Just wild all around. Never seen anything like it.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
First time I ever saw a reboot get that much attention.

People were crazy for this damn show on GAF when it came out. Watching more and more Avatars morph into ones from the show was bizarre. Then the whole "brony" thing and people getting mad at folks who made fun of them? Just wild all around. Never seen anything like it.

The show basically became a meme, it was sort of the predecessor to FNAF and Undertale in a way. It's unusual subject matter was a large part of why it got so big in the first place, but most people have moved on to other things years ago. The show is still pretty good though, some would say that Season 7 was the best season so far.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I want some deaths

at least half the cast dead

gotta go fishing for award season
Dude, this isn't Transformers.
Hasbro only kills off half the cast when transitioning between toy generations for one franchise and one franchise only.

(Even if it would be cool to see Twilight Sparkle bequeath the matrix of friendship to Sunset Shimmer.)

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I want some deaths

at least half the cast dead

gotta go fishing for award season
th

It was inevitable, but a very good run. I imagine Hasbro will keep throwing bones to fans of the series even as they reboot.

Like the Ninja Turtles, I also imagine a lot of former fans will initially hate the next show, but eventually be won over.

Oct 25, 2017
I was a bit sad when the cancellation first leaked but 9 seasons is a real good run. I remember thinking season 3 was close to the end; can't even remember why.

I wonder how much longer the comics will go on past season 9, if they do. I give the IDW series credit for getting me into comics. Went from 0 owned to 300+ in a short time.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I sure hope not. I want it to have a proper and definitive finale.
A 44 minute special wouldn't be particularly different as a series finale than a two-parter at the end of the season. Might even be better that way, if they want to send the series off on more of a low key note than whatever major climax the season itself will inevitably build up to.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
A 44 minute special wouldn't be particularly different as a series finale than a two-parter at the end of the season. Might even be better that way, if they want to send the series off on more of a low key note than whatever major climax the season itself will inevitably build up to.

Yeah, a special would be good. It's mainly that I don't want the final piece of FiM content to be a YouTube short or something.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I was a bit sad when the cancellation first leaked but 9 seasons is a real good run. I remember thinking season 3 was close to the end; can't even remember why.

I wonder how much longer the comics will go on past season 9, if they do. I give the IDW series credit for getting me into comics. Went from 0 owned to 300+ in a short time.
the comics are rad as fuck

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Been a wild run. I got into the show when I was in college and dating this girl. Now I'm almost 30 and looking to buy a house. I've maybe had more to bitch about than enjoy with these last few seasons, but I'm still kinda sad to see it wrapping up. It's been a pretty big constant in my life, and even when the writing is bad, Equestria is still goddamned charming.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
that reboot is coming out around the time my daughter would be old enough to enjoy it

maybe she will, i just hope there aren't a lot of grown single men still in the theatres for the franchise by then

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dude, this isn't Transformers.
Hasbro only kills off half the cast when transitioning between toy generations for one franchise and one franchise only.

(Even if it would be cool to see Twilight Sparkle bequeath the matrix of friendship to Sunset Shimmer.)
Sailor Moon's first season ending saw the main character's entire support group of sidekicks get killed one-by-one, which gave her the strength she needed to shoot the final hostage (the love of her life), before going Super Saiyan and sacrificing herself to nuke the villains responsible.

If you're gonna go out, might as well go out with a bang.

Oct 27, 2017
Part of me hopes that G5 is terrible, so that I can finally be free of this tiny horse prison I've been in for 8 years now.

It's been a heck of a ride. It will be sad to see it go, but I'm honestly ready for it to be done.

I wonder if Equestria Girls will keep going after the end of FiM.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Several current and former members of the show crew have been talking about this on Twitter. Posting a few.

DHX Animation Director. He has several other tweets on the subject, but they aren't all in a thread.

Big Jim‏ @ TheBiggestJim

It's really inspiring to read how important this show has become and about how many folks have taken the lessons of the series to heart, and improved their own lives! It makes my tiny black heart try to beat again!

6:58 PM - 16 Feb 2019

Lauren Faust, who as a reminder stopped working on the show during season 2 and hasn't watched any of the episodes after that.

Lauren Faust ‏ @ Fyre_flye

So I hear MLP:FIM is ending at season 9 – 7 seasons after it ended for me. I'm full of mixed feelings, but grateful for how it... (1 of 2)

9:01 PM - 16 Feb 2019

Lauren Faust ‏ @ Fyre_flye

(2 of 2) ...led me to where I am now, and even more so, grateful for all the loving fans who made it all worth while in the end.

9:02 PM - 16 Feb 2019

Current showrunner (thread)

Nicole Dubuc @ NicoleDubuc

I came to MLP late, when we didn't know if 8 was going to be the last season or not. But I was embraced by the wonderful cast and crew (love to my DHX family) and had incredible, hilarious, fun story breaks with @TheBiggestJim @joshhaber and @mktoon (to name a few).

7:32 AM - 17 Feb 2019

I was constantly in awe of how the team at DHX went above and beyond-- putting their heart and soul in their work-- to plus the scripts, come up with creative blocking, and showcase character. I am a huge fan of @aynsleyking @lynxgriffin @OhJeeToriG @MorganShandro and many more!

And thanks to @dannyimusic and @Wm_K_Anderson for the music! I can't say the number of times I have sung pony songs that haven't come out yet because they're stuck in my head from animatic reviews... And of course, my work out pony playlist!

Thanks to @MMeghanMcCarthy, Eliza Hart, and @A_Whangdoodle for their executive guidance and collaboration! And to @prag_o_matic who is AN AMAZING line producer (organized, kind, the best kinda person to work with).

The directors! @Fruit_Of_The_Lu is hilarious and a delight to work with. @mhmyhre has tons of ideas and is a "yes and" kinda guy. @TheBiggestJim will likely ignore any praise I give him but I'm doing it anyway - he's a stalwart guardian of the show and a true creative genius.

More about @TheBiggestJim . He was at every record, oversaw every frame of animation, gave notes on every script. I don't know how he had enough hours in the day. And he always put the characters and stories first. I'm very glad I met him.

Thank you to @Fyre_flye for creating such a beautiful, rich, ripe-for-storytelling world. I'm thrilled I got to work in it, and bring the Young Six, kirins, Cozy Glow, and others to life. Just wait to see what happens in S9...

And thank you to the MLP:FiM community for welcoming me to the herd. Your kindness has been Fluttershy-worthy. <3 Can't wait to share this last season with you, and I'll stay tuned for whatever comes next!

The cast on this show is soooo talented. The few times I got to come up and see them record together, I was awestruck by how effortless they made everything feel. Love to @StTabitha @AndreaLibman @ash_leigh_ball @CathyWeseluck @tarastrong and SO MANY OTHERS!!!

I'm sure I've missed many who have contributed to the magic and joy of this show. Please accept this as an overall thank you for all you've done, and know how incredibly proud I am to have been a small part of our collaboration. <3

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The final season starts April 6.

Article from Entertainment Weekly and a trailer. Both have huge spoilers, if you care about that. But it's clear this will be the "final season" all throughout, as opposed to the wrapping up all being in the finale.

(Also, lol that somber theme song cover)

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not gonna lie: I will feel sad when this show ends. It is really a magical show, full of wonderful characters, funny moments and unexpected amazing and touching moments. Probably one of the best cartoon of its generation. The team behind it can be proud of what they have accomplished.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Well, it had a good run. Had some really profound impacts on people across a bunch of different communities.
Haven't kept up since season 4 or 5, but I've heard the quality has still remained pretty good all the way through. Is Discord still around? Because I'll catch up just for more episodes with him in them.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Well, it had a good run. Had some really profound impacts on people across a bunch of different communities.
Haven't kept up since season 4 or 5, but I've heard the quality has still remained pretty good all the way through. Is Discord still around? Because I'll catch up just for more episodes with him in them.
Yup, Discord is still part of the show. He remains, well, chaotic and has no qualms about trolling the whole cast every now and then.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Man this makes me sad. I fell off the wagon shortly after Season 8 started. My DVR failed to record episodes and Discovery Family didn't have episodes On Demand for some reason. I had so many shows that I was trying to keep up with thanks to all the streaming services that I ended up not really missing it. Like Sylvee said, when the show started it was a real party. It was a real wild craze that hit the internet unlike anything else before it. I was only working about three days a week, so I had PLENTY of time to partake in the deluge of fan content. But as time wore on, I was getting more and more hours at work so I had less and less time to catch up with the fan content. Pretty soon, I just said "screw it" and just kept to watching the episodes as they came out. I think this was a tragic mistake now that I look back on it. The fan content really helped the show keep its appeal and excitement whether it was amazing fanart, new episode specific memes or fads, or just material from the episode being spun into more mature humor. In a way, it's just SO FRUSTRATING how fast the fan content piles up. I'm one of those guys that can feel defeated easily if there's just too much to do where it feels impossible to catch up.

I just saw the movie for the first time the other day. It we good. It didn't blow my mind or anything possibly from being "away" for so long, but it made sad thinking what would've it been like if I had seen it closer to release?

Anyway, I'm hoping to marathon Season 8 which should be on Netflix now and hopefully tune in just in time for Season 9.

But yeah, I'm sad to see it go, it did have a wonderful run, but I WISH I could've been all in from the get go and STAYED in.

Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
Lancaster, CA
Saw the trailer. The feels of it finally ending!

Yeah I still gotta catch up to season 8, but thankfully only got a month left before it starts. Need to also catch up to SVTFOE for that matter, since it's finally season is starting today lol!

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
He died in season 8, unfortunately =(

He's fine

Last edited: