My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic FINAL SEASON |OT| I used to wonder what friendship could be...

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

This is an interesting Q&A overall, bad transcript aside, and Bonnie got a decent amount of questions too, even if I got a real, "... I don't know what to ask her," vibe from them. Still, she made the most of those questions. However, the thing I imagine most people will find most interesting is the bit below.
Lauren Faust: I think for me, I had no idea that the show would ever last this long. And I stayed for the first two seasons. I wish I had on that second season I decided let's just tread water, because I had a ending in mind, and I didn't know is the second season going to be our last season, or are we going to have a third? They're like, we don't know. We don't know yet. So I just decided to tread water and I wish that I had taken into it to my ending. I think that's my ... and then it could've lived on after that. That's actually a big regret for me. I wish I could have told the whole story the way and the way I wanted to.

TJ Carson: I assuming you get this question a lot. You can answer if you want. How would you have ended it?

Lauren Faust: Oh my goodness. I think I've talked to some people about it and I think it's leaked, so I might not be getting a whole lot of information. But I wanted ... I have this idea for elements of discord that characters like Trixie and other characters knew more kind of bad guy characters would come into and the girls would have to go off on like this bigger adventure to find the elements of discord, and then eventually find out that discord himself was the one who put them around, and he's back. And during this whole time they would've still thought that he's stone.

Lauren Faust: This kind of bigger, grander adventure where their relationships went on as they went on this adventure and grew, and what were those elements of discord? What are the offices of the elements of harmony? Ultimately culminating in a big battle. Discord versus Celestia who wins. That was the vague sort of concept that I wanted to take it to like the beginnings of the ideas. And with ultimately Twilight becoming the [inaudible 00:19:52]. That was like another rough baseline of what I was interested in doing.
Note these plans would have been from before "The Return of Harmony" was even made. I have to imagine if they chose to go this route, that story would have gone differently too. So this isn't as simple as remove "A Canterlot Wedding", insert this. Plus she's at least somewhat being influenced by later events, as shown by her saying the show would continue from there, after Twilight becomes the [inaudible].

Still, it would have been neat to see a season long story like this. I assume the idea is that they'd journey around and come across different people with Elements of Discord, like Trixie in one episode, Gilda in another, etc. Well I say etc., but it would basically just be Diamond Tiara after that. I suppose you could have a good episode with Luna being targeted but rejecting it. I'm surprised they didn't do an evil Elements thing for the entire run of the show, excluding them maybe showing up in the last episodes.

Who knows if this story would have happened even if she chose to do it, though. Or at least as a season long story. It could have been forced to become a two parter.

Twilight becoming the [inaudible] would have been better received if handled this way than how it initially was when it actually happened. I like "Magical Mystery Cure", but it more or less happened out of nowhere.

I imagine if the story did happen in season 2 and as planned, that would have had a huge influence on how later seasons were handled. So much so that you can't really go, "Under this plan, this episode would have been like this."

AgPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, put in the OP.

Both episodes sound interesting, though about the first one, I already know the way it handles Rarity's character has gotten a mixed reaction, to say the least, mainly because it's potentially the last Rarity episode of the entire series. Even aside from how Rarity's handled, it will be a shame if her final episode, and in fact her only focus episode this season, is about Spike instead.
I need to watch the show post Tanks for the Memories, but none of this surprises me. You could write long form articles on how the show wasted Rarity's potential. If this is her final episode, it'll be a nasty dark cloud on how I look back on this series.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I need to watch the show post Tanks for the Memories, but none of this surprises me. You could write long form articles on how the show wasted Rarity's potential. If this is her final episode, it'll be a nasty dark cloud on how I look back on this series.
There have been plenty of great Rarity episodes after "Tanks for the Memories", to be clear. Heck, checking, that's before Rarity even opened her second shop, in "Canterlot Boutique". Her being a successful owner of three stores with practically her own supporting cast between her employees is a pretty good use of her potential, I think. Only really have an issue with this season and the last in particular being light on Rarity episodes, us still not getting an episode with her parents, and so few Rarity and Twilight friendship moments.

I'd recommend you check out:
Season 5:
Canterlot Boutique
Rarity Investigates!
Season 6:
Saddle Row Review
Season 7:
Just this scene from Honest Apple
It Isn't the Mane Thing About You
Equestria Girls:
Dance Magic
Rollercoaster of Friendship

And she's fun in other episodes too.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Laugh
Pinkie eating the paper cupcake got me.
Surprised it took this long for a Willy Wonka parody to show up, in retrospect.
I'm glad that Sans Smile didn't turn out to be the reason why Cheese lost his smile, and that he didn't have to undergo a big personality change in the end.

I thought this was an interesting episode, and a pretty natural development for Cheese. He wants to bring a smile to more faces and does what he thinks will accomplish that but loses sight of what he enjoys in life. Then in the end, Cheese is happy, Sans is happy, and the factory workers... well, can't expect this show to go all the way in criticizing late stage capitalism.

I connected with Sans a lot for whatever reason, so I'm glad he was treated well by the episode.

Biggest weakness of this episode is that the gags aren't all that funny, which is a problem with a lot of Pinkie episodes involving the concept of humor. Heck, even "Pinkie Pride" was carried more by the songs than the gags. Plus there is actual scientific research into humor, but despite that being a big part of this episode, we don't see much of the real thing besides the rule of three. That was one gag I liked, actually, along with the super slip banana. That said, I didn't find the gags bad enough to get annoyed at or anything.

I recall before this episode that there was some concern about the premise of Pinkie finding her place in life, when she should already know it's where she is now. I think it was justified well here, especially in light of Pinkie learning about Cheese's new job.

Lastly, the song in this episode was alright. I liked the chorus, and the bits with Pinkie singing backup, but the rest was eh.

Overall, if this is Pinkie's last episode, like the title implies, I think it was a good send off.

~~~

So it looks like Discovery Family is going to pull a Cartoon Network and put episodes up early on their app. Next week's episode is now officially available. You guys can feel free to talk about it, but I have a schedule and will wait until next week.

~~~

Looks like while they're continuing The Retro Show, it won't be G1 focused anymore. Assuming this wasn't the plan all along, it makes sense after seeing how few views the G1 videos had compared to even normal G4 show clips on that channel, and given there wasn't a video last week, it's possible they put this together over a few weeks (a stretch, admittedly). Anyway, this is a pretty fun fake opening with a mix of reused and new animation, like that Full House intro parody from last year, though I'm not familiar with the Beverly Hills 90210 intro so it didn't connect with me as much. And Twilight, I know you enjoy school, but you don't have to sit with the students.

New Daniel Ingram cover, which even ties into the new episode. That bit at the end was cute.

Comic - Feats of Friendship #1
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Already filled in the gaps with previous Humble Bundles.

MLP: Feats of Friendship #1
Before the previous miniseries even ends, we're starting this one, written by Ian Flynn. Twilight's school is holding a series of friendly competitions and the Student Six are a team of course, but Twilight introduces a transfer student into the group: Swift Foot. Sandbar immediately gets a crush on her, but she starts sowing discord among the rest of the group, leading to a reveal in the last panels.

I thought this was a pretty good issue, especially in how it brings up things the students should rightly be upset about. From the fact that the ponies didn't bother to help the hippogriffs until after the Storm King attacked the ponies, to how no one bothered to learn how to speak Yak after Yona went through the effort of learning Ponish, to how no one brings Smolder gem snacks. Well, some more rightly than others. Still, they all felt like in-character reasons to get upset.

This does all feel reminiscent of Cozy Glow in "What Lies Beneath", but oddly more individualized despite Swift Foot knowing them for less time (as far as we know). Still, Cozy was absent from that episode aside from the start and very end, while Swift Foot will be around the entire time. The fact that the Students are going to start fighting during a competition is reminiscent of Rainbow Rocks, and Swift's actions are like Sunset's in the first EQG but without the outright lies.

It's revealed at the end that Swift Foot is the Storm King's daughter and I'm curious how that would work.

The art was good. Yona especially has more moving parts (her fur and her blanket) depicted than either the comics before or the show. Swift Foot has a cute design. There were some people upset about Sandbar falling for her when the show has shipped him with Yona, but he's a teen colt. And of course, on surface level, that was always a story about just friendship.

Tony Fleecs has drawn for the comics before, but his stuff feels different now. That's almost certainly due to Lauren Perry providing the flat coloring, as noted in Silver Quill's review. I hadn't noticed all the digitally added details in the art, so I don't have the same problem he has.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the other two parts of this series.

~~~

Big Jim answered some questions a couple days ago, and here are the ones I want to highlight.

Full tweet chain in the quote block
Rayve
@RayveReviewsYT
·
Aug 3
What is something you wanted to do with MLP, but couldn’t?

Big Jim
@TheBiggestJim
Replying to @RayveReviewsYT and @BronyCon
A full, interconnected season of stories. We’ve done it subtly with key seasonal episodes, but one where every episode leads to the larger story. But honestly, we got to try a lot of what we wanted.
6:56 PM · Aug 3, 2019·Twitter for iPad

Rayve
@RayveReviewsYT
·
Aug 3
Replying to
@TheBiggestJim and @BronyCon
Was that a Hasbro decision, or was it some other reason?

Big Jim
@TheBiggestJim
·
Aug 3
It’s a combo. Hasbro was already concerned that the level of continuity made it difficult for new viewers to understand what’s going on, not to mention it’s a crap ton of work to write a season that way.

Though this is part of a tweet thread, I'm only including this last part.
Mister Fantastic Super Handsome Strong As Steel
@GreenRangerDon
·
Aug 3
Really now. I always assumed you guys would get a higher budget with each season.

Big Jim
@TheBiggestJim
Replying to @GreenRangerDon and @BronyCon
The budget has been the same since S1.
7:18 PM · Aug 3, 2019
So the budget of each season hasn't changed much if at all. This is honestly a big surprise to me, especially when you look at the improvements in art and animation from the first season. I suppose it really is just a matter of building off of what's already been made, and getting used to working on this show.

~~~

We got some more fan art from Bevin Brand that was made before she stopped working on the show, so it's going here. First is a long comic showing a cute moment between SciTwi and Timber. As a reminder, this is a couple that actually was heavily supported behind the scenes.

And one image with Rarity, Applejack, and Aunt Orange, who I'm pretty sure hasn't been in EQG. And hasn't appeared in the show since season one, which goes to show people who worked on the show have their random pet characters too.

~~~

"The Last Laugh" stuff coming tomorrow.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I've waited days and still no more fan art for "The Last Laugh". Well, Cheese Sandwich never really had much art, and the major new character of this episode is male, so not a huge surprise really.

NOTES
There was a tweet saying that getting Weird Al to return was just a matter of asking him, but I can't find it at this point.

Osaka Jack
@OsakaJack
Aug 5
Huh. Just noticed something in the last MLP episode. @AndreaLibman
is credited as Pinkie, obviously, but... nobody is listed as "Pinkie singing voice." Did Andrea sing for Pinkie? #MLPSeason9

Big Jim
@TheBiggestJim
Replying to @OsakaJack and @AndreaLibman
The singing parts were brief, so it made the most sense budgetarily (and creatively) to have Andrea do it.
9:09 AM · Aug 6, 2019
I didn't even think about this.

SCREENSHOTS
Not much. All GIFs
1.Cheese mask
2.Boneless 2 turns his back on Cheese
3.Pinkie deep analysis
4.Pinkie conveyor belt

FAN CONTENT
Not much art.
1.Cheese Sandwich [MLP] by Shad0w-Galaxy on DeviantArt
2.Fanart - MLP. Season 9, EP 14. Wonka Sandwich by jamescorck on DeviantArt
3.Lelly-Baugh tout suit (Pic of the week MLPS9E14) by JonFawkes on DeviantArt - Humanized
4.Cheese Sandwich Gets His Laugh Back (pixel art) by SuperHyperSonic2000 on DeviantArt
5.Willy Ponka by Underpable on DeviantArt - Life of Brian reference
6.Pinkie pie and Cheese sandwich Party EQG by TheRETROart88 on DeviantArt

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
No new Retro Show video today or yesterday. Have they been moved to Saturday?

Maud's VA singing for Diamond Tiara, which is interesting.

And hey, we got a remix of the song from "The Last Laugh", mixing it with music from some game I've never heard of.

And here's tomorrow's episode.

15. 2,4,6, Greaaat - August 10, 2019
The School of Friendship is starting a buckball team and Rainbow Dash has to come to terms with the fact that she won't be coaching the team.

I figured this would be Rainbow's final episode, but "Daring Doubt" later on shows that isn't the case. Though perhaps this will still be the final episode concerning Rainbow's character development.

2, 4, 6, Greaaat
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
2, 4, 6, Greaaat
This is one of those episodes where everything was pretty great... except for the actual focus character. Rainbow was insufferable here, though I suppose less so than in "Grannies Gone Wild" and "Non-Compete Clause". But then again, this episode didn't have Applejack goading her, so this is the biggest example of her base level insufferability. Oh wait, forgot about "Spring Breakdown". She's probably better here than in that EQG special, since one can at least buy into Rainbow's logic here.

I liked the lessons here, both the main one about bringing enthusiasm to something you may not care about if you care about the people involved, and the one about not assuming that because you don't like something that means no one does and don't be such a wet blanket. And I loved seeing Twilight pull a Celestia at the end with teaching Rainbow a lesson being the intention of this all along, to Celestia's approval.

I was waiting for some reference to "Sonic Rainboom" and Rainbow trying to get Fluttershy to cheer for her, especially with Ocellus's problem being her softspokenness, and was surprised none appeared. Like this is the one moment they choose not to reference "Yay"? Hell, they could have mixed it up and done something like this scene from Blackadder.

I liked the new characters in this episode, with those two ponies apparently already going around everywhere in cheerleader uniforms and then changing into different ones for the routine. We got something I've wanted for a while: the Student Six being friends with someone other than themselves! Even if we don't see them talk with those other ponies outside of the cheer lessons, it's nice to see them together. I liked Yona, Ocellus, and Smolder here, and how this ties into Smolder's interest in girly things. I liked seeing some of Celestia's current Magic School students, which has always been an oddly unexplored element of the show. Good on a bunch of NERDS for winning against the School of Friendship's team. And how about that cheering from Celestia, huh? Clearly they won through fear.

Overall, I adored this episode outside of Rainbow being insufferable. Oh, and Snips wasn't too great either.

fony

Feb 17, 2018
The Last Laugh

I thought this was a great reverse episode of sort where we get the answer to Pinkie's destiny without having the episode focus on her searching for it the entire episode. Sans Smile was great (who served as a red herring villain).

2, 4, 6, Greaaat

I didn't find this one so great, or at least the plot itself. Having characters going about doing things the wrong way feels a bit too overdone by this point for me.

Not sure about the lesson for this one (about caring about things you don't care about). Twilight doing Celestia-style planning was pretty cool.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New In a Nutshell video. The knock knock jokes are actually pretty clever, in a dumb way.

Episode GIFs
1.Snips pulling Rainbow's tail
2.Celestia cheering
3.All the flips
4.And all the flops - Yona is one of those Mega Man bosses that shake the ground.
5.Ocellus chant - No embed. So when the show says "friend", we say "ship". Got it.

And art. This first bunch from before the US airing.
1.Cheerleader Smolder GIF by rockset
2.Shimmy Shake and Lighthoof by notadeliciouspotato
3.Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake by nancy-05
4.Cute Mare Cheerleader by LOCKHE4RT on DeviantArt - Shimmy Shake
5.Dragon Ocellus Cheerleader by dashingjack

1.Cheers by uotapo on DeviantArt - Smolder and Ocellus cheerleaders
And post-US airing art starts here
2.Shimmy Shake and Lighthoof [MLP] by Shad0w-Galaxy on DeviantArt
3.Best Friends [MLP] by Shad0w-Galaxy on DeviantArt - Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake
4.Smolder cheer by Celebi-Yoshi on DeviantArt
5.Fanart - MLP. Season 9, EP 15. Smolcheer by jamescorck on DeviantArt - Smolder

1.Cheerleaders (Pic of the week MLPS9E15) by JonFawkes on DeviantArt - Humanized(ish)
2.Pony pyramid with Yona, Lighthoof, and Shimmy Shake by mightyshockwave
3.2 4 6 greAAAt by AmarthGul on DeviantArt - Humanized Shimmy Shake and Lighthoof anime style
4.Happy Cheerleader Horse by LOCKHE4RT on DeviantArt - Lighthoof
5.Naked Shimmy Shake and Lighthoof by cheezedoodle96

1.Cheerleader Ocellus by chibichangeling
2.Cheerleader Smolder by (looks) cpenguin, I think
3.Cheerleader Pones by Banquo0 on DeviantArt - Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake
4.Cheerleader Rainbow by seidouryu
5.Shimmy Shake and Lighthoof by violyre
6.Dance for All Our Friends by Chopsticks-Pony on DeviantArt - EQG Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake
7.Other, and other, and other again...!!! by PyroPk on DeviantArt - Lighthoof and Shimmy Shake

And comics

The Budding Volunteer by bobthedalek on DeviantArt

Student Six #278 by Sintakhra on DeviantArt

Comic - Spirit of the Forest #3 (end)
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Spirit of the Forest #3 (end)
And here ends a miniseries, after its replacement already started.

I enjoyed this issue for a healthy dose of good Diamond Tiara. It was nice to see her be the one to resolve the conflict here with her father.

This story has a nice speech about how if there isn't a spirit of the forest protecting it, then we (ponies and humans both) have to do it. Like I said before, I don't think we can rely on shaming each individual industrialist, though.

The art here is really cute.

Overall, this miniseries was better than I expected, and worth checking out, I think. It isn't one I'd push hard, though.

Silver Quill's review doesn't add anything I want to bring up, I think.

~~~

Pretty good NPR article about Bronycon. It helps that the writer is a fan.

Bunch of Flurry Hearts.

Those MLP toys look pretty nice. What is it with fast food chains getting oddly good looking MLP toys?

~~~

So the last normal story (barring a scheduling twist) seems to be about Big Mac proposing to Sugar Belle. It should be a fun story. Oddly, we still don't know what episode 23 is. Hopefully it's a Rarity episode.

Lastly, here's an odd one

This Polish site lists for September 22 a special called Equestria Girls: Holiday Unwrapped. In normal conditions, I wouldn't be shocked by this, but we were told there were no more specials after Sunset's Backstage Pass. However, it would make sense if this was made before SBP but was saved for closer to the holiday season.

A Trivial Pursuit
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
A Trivial Pursuit
So TwiPie is now canon.

This episode was an (intentional) exercise in frustration, both on the "Jesus Twilight it's just a game" side and the "Jesus Pinkie get a clue" side. It's hard to criticize when that's clearly what it was going for, but nonetheless, I didn't have a great time with this episode. Part of it is probably that I connected to Twilight a lot and I was thinking, "Someone, please, save Twilight (and me) from this stress!" Twilight goading Pinkie into cheating was a step too far, of course.

There were great Twilight expressions here, feeling like something more from Adventure Time and the shows that followed in its wake, and I enjoyed seeing all the trivia participants interact. It was interesting seeing how the characters view each other in this context. Fluttershy is a filthy cheater for taking answers from Angel.

I might like this episode more on a rewatch, but for now, I need a nap.

~~~

Huh, there was a new G1 Pop Up Music Video, which Equestria Daily never bothered to report.

This one feels more mean-spirited than the last, but it's fun.

~~~

So according to Simple Ponyclock, although the Chinese airing of the series finale has been delayed to September 26, Australia will pick up the slack and air part 1 on September 5 and part 2 on September 8 (September 6 and 9 in Australia itself). The US airing will likely be October 19. Well, a month and a week and a half difference isn't as bad as what we thought it would be.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Forgot to mention, I found myself enjoying the episode more on the second go around in the episode stream.

Bunch of expressions this episode. I follow people who worked on the show on Twitter, and basically all of their talk about this episode resolves around praising each other for storyboarding a particular expression. I'll generally just say which character's making the face, not bothering to describe each one.
1.Pinkie and Twilight
2.Fluttersmug and Angel
3.Twilight and Spike
4.Twilight hopping GIF
5.Twilight

1.Twilight and Spike
2.Pinkie eating a plate GIF
3.Twilight and Pinkie
4.Twilight
5.Twilight

1.Twilight and Pinkie BANANA GIF
2.Derpy trying to pull the door GIF
3.Twilight
4.Twilight rules GIF
5.Twilight with chart

As for art, there surprisingly isn't any from before a day ago.
1.Pinkie face by cowsrtasty
2.Nuts (Pic of the week MLPS9E16) by JonFawkes on DeviantArt - Humanized Twilight and Pinkie, bananas
3.Team Sunlight (Sunset and Twilight) by artiks
4.Twilighting More by AssasinMonkey on DeviantArt
5.S9E16 - Rule 34 by luminaura on DeviantArt - Suggestive, Twilight and Pinkie

1.Twilighting by ColdRivez on DeviantArt - Twilight and Pinkie
2.A Trivial Pursuit by KimmyArtMLP on DeviantArt - Twilight
3.Twilight and Spike by jowybean
4.Obsessives by bobthedalek on DeviantArt - Starlight and Sunburst

Comic
Sleepless Night by bobthedalek on DeviantArt

Last edited:
EQG - Costume Conundrum
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
New EQG short has heavy Fluttershy, so of course I had to watch it.

Costume Conundrum
Applejack keeps chickens in her room
Applejack already had the G1 costume
Fluttershy had Rarity put a coin in a jar every time she said "darling", ended up with a full jar
Actually a bit upset that Rarity's short has her make a dress for Fluttershy that she likes, but it's actually for Rarity and Rarity instead has her choose a dress she already made.
Sunset has a hot dog mascot costume
Fluttershy is dressed as Cthulu in the end
Weird that the title screen has Flutterbat, but she doesn't dress as a vampire in any of the shorts.

In a twist, the best one was Applejack's, though we got some new information about Sunset. I assume the way she made money before the events of the first EQG movie is mascot work.

~~~

Well this came out of nowhere

A CG short, straightforward about Pinkie doing Pinkie stuff. The voice definitely isn't Andrea Libman, but she does a decent enough job. The animation is alright. I've seen people try to extrapolate G5's animation quality from this, but at best this is an animation test and the movie certainly won't look like this. I've also seen people complain that fan animations look better, but: (1) most fan CG animations aren't even trying the things in this short; (2) this was made on a schedule with a budget; and (3) this didn't use assets that fans built up over years. In any case, it's hard to read much into this short. If there are more, I expect it to stick to Pinkie, but it would be neat to see how the other characters are handled.