• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
season_9_header_png.png

(Belle Eve 2.0 art by pastel-pony-pictures)

guide_season9_mains.png

guide_season9_side_png.png

guide_season9_eqg_png.png

Season 9 starts April 6, 2019, but the Saturday before that, on March 30, we get a new Equestria Girls special: Spring Breakdown, which features the Equestria Girls versions of the characters transforming into ponies for the first time.

New episodes air on Saturday at 11:30 AM ET on Discovery Family. They're usually put on iTunes the next day. Seasons 1-8 can be found on US Netflix, along with holiday special "Best Gift Ever". Netflix also has most of the Equestria Girls specials and movies, though they are oddly missing the very first movie. Equestria Girls has an ongoing series of YouTube shorts that are currently in season 2, with new episodes every Friday.

If you want to get started, then good news, we have an episode guide! Many episodes not listed as recommended are still good, and if you like how an episode sounds, feel free to watch it too. Also includes Equestria Girls. Every YouTube short, both human and pony, is linked, so you don't have to search for them.

We have a Hangouts thread for fanfic discussion and such, and we have a Discord! See the bottom of this post. We even have group watches; join the Discord or PM me for the link.

Oh, and that mare in the header? That's Belle Eve, our mascot! Well, Belle Eve 2.0, since her old look was based on the other place.

XC0WXn9.png

New episodes air on Saturday at 11:30 AM ET on Discovery Family. They're usually put on iTunes the next day. Seasons 1-8 can be found on US Netflix.

Special - Equestria Girls: Spring Breakdown - March 30, 2019
It's Spring Break and the Mane 7 are about to board the most glorious yacht ever for a relaxing cruise. But Rainbow Dash is convinced that Equestrian Magic is on the loose and won't let anyone rest until she finds it!

1-2. The Beginning of the End - April 6, 2019

In the back-to-back season premiere episodes, titled "The Beginning of the End," Princess Celestia and Princess Luna decide to retire and hand off the ruling of Equestria to Twilight Sparkle and her friends, which sends Twilight into a tailspin of self-doubt. Meanwhile, an ancient villain bands together a legion of nefarious characters to conquer all of Equestria, challenging Twilight Sparkle and the rest of the Mane 6 to step in and save the day.

3. Uprooted - April 13, 2019
The Young Six respond to a magical summons from the Tree of Harmony, only to learn it has been destroyed.

4. Sparkle's Seven - April 20, 2019 (Episode 200! if "Best Gift Ever" is counted as a numbered episode)
Twilight and Shining Armor pit their wits against each other to settle a long-standing sibling rivalry, but they soon discover they are not the only competitors.

5. The Point of No Return - April 27, 2019
Twilight realizes she never returned a book to the Canterlot Library and may have caused her favorite librarian to lose her job.

6. Common Ground - May 4, 2019
Rainbow Dash's old pal Quibble Pants needs help to bond with the daughter of his new special friend because, like Dash, she's a real sports pony.

7. She's All Yak - May 11, 2019
When Sandbar asks Yona to a pony dance, she goes to Rarity and her friends for a makeover in appearance and personality.

8. Frenemies - May 18, 2019
Grogar sends his legion of doom on a mission to become allies, but his plan works too well and they almost become friends.

9. Sweet and Smoky - May 25, 2019
Smolder returns to the Dragonlands with Spike and Fluttershy to help cheer up her sensitive brother, but when they arrive they discover the dragon eggs aren't hatching.

10. Going to Seed - June 1, 2019
Applejack's plans for an orderly harvest go awry when Apple Bloom becomes obsessed with catching a magical creature she thinks can help them.

11. Student Counsel - June 8, 2019
Starlight Glimmer relishes her role as school counselor and encourages the students to come to her anytime about anything, but she becomes overwhelmed and learns a lesson.

12. The Last Crusade - June 15, 2019
Unexpected visitors to Ponyville threaten to break up the Cutie Mark Crusaders forever.

13. Between Dark and Dawn - June 22, 2019
Luna and Celestia take a sister vacation while Twilight and her friends struggle to cover the princesses' many royal duties.

Special - Rainbow Roadtrip - June 29, 2019
Rainbow Dash has been invited to the Rainbow Festival at Hope Hollow as a guest of honor. She and her friends hop on a balloon, but when they crashland, no one is there to greet them. The mystery grows at sunrise when the entire town and the ponies in it are revealed to have been drained of color.

(BREAK)

Special - Equestria Girls: Sunset's Backstage Pass - July 27, 2019
The Starswirl Music Festival is finally here, and the Mane 7 are going to get their "glamping" on! Sunset and Pinkie are the most excited to see their favorite band perform but when Equestrian Magic causes a "Groundhog Day" inspired time loop to start, Sunset gets stuck reliving "Festival Day 1" forever!

14. That's a Laugh - August 3, 2019
When Pinkie Pie seeks help from her old friend, the super-silly Cheese Sandwich, in finding her life's purpose, she discovers the unimaginable has happened.

15. 2,4,6, Greaaat - August 10, 2019
The School of Friendship is starting a buckball team and Rainbow Dash has to come to terms with the fact that she won't be coaching the team.

16. A Trivial Problem - August 17, 2019
Twilight's hopes of keeping her Trivia Trot winning streak alive are waylaid when she's unexpectedly paired up with Pinkie Pie, who has never been to a trivia night before.

17. The Summer Sun Setback - August 24, 2019
Twilight is determined to make Celestia and Luna's last Summer Sun Celebration memorable, but things start going horribly wrong.

18. She Talks to Angel - August 31, 2019
When Fluttershy and Angel Bunny's relationship hits the skids, Zecora gives them a potion to help them understand each other.

19. Dragon Dropped - September 7, 2019
When Spike shows zero interest in an impromptu gem cave expedition, Rarity has to come to terms with the fact that she's taken his doting affection for granted.

20. A Horse Shoe-In - September 14, 2019
Twilight appoints Starlight Glimmer with the task of recruiting new teachers for the School of Friendship... and her friendship with Trixie gets put to the test when she considers herself a shoe-in for a teaching post she may not be qualified for.

21. Daring Doubt - September 21, 2019
When another author releases his own version of the events in AK Yearling's Daring Do books, Rainbow Dash is furious, while Fluttershy is curious to know the truth.

22. Growing Up is Hard to Do - September 28, 2019
When the Cutie Mark Crusaders are magically transformed into grownups, they discover that growing up the right way means gaining experience and wisdom that simply can't be rushed.

23. The Big Mac Question - October 5, 2019
When Big Mac and Sugar Belle decide to propose to each other, everything their friends do to help ends up making a mess of the whole thing!

24-25. The Ending of the End - October 12, 2019
A villainous alliance unleashes their unified might on Equestria, and it's up to the Mane Six to save the kingdom.

26. The Last Problem - October 12, 2019
[REDACTED]

0bUcTBq.png

This thread is for the discussion of all things pony, including Equestria Girls, the IDW comics, and even general fan content. Fan fics are encouraged to go in our Hangouts thread, but there is no issue if you bring them up here.
* Episode titles and official synopses can be freely discussed, along with things tweeted by show crew and such.
* If an episode is released early, but legally, then discuss it behind spoiler blocks until it airs in the US.
* If an episode is leaked illegally, the contents can't be discussed here at all until it airs legally.

CIXMCcN.png

Hangouts thread
Season 8 OT
Show ending announcement thread
Old Community thread (Blocked site + /threads/my-little-pony-fim-community-ot3-surely-you-saw-this-coming.819103/ )
Old season 7 OT (Blocked site + /threads/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-season-7-ot-is-this-still-a-fad.1360665/ )

mlp_discord_invite_png.png

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
Credit to DrForester for the older assets, and everyone in the PonyEra Discord for feedback on the new assets

Last edited:

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
time to smother this fucker and build a new pony show, with blackjack, and strippers

menacer

Dec 15, 2018
Does John De Lancie actually sound and act like Q from Star Trek in this and if so any highlights.

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
The day I never wanted to happen although I knew it had to, is here :(
Does John De Lancie actually sound and act like Q from Star Trek in this and if so any highlights.
Yep, around the season 2 release they had an interview with Lauren Faust where she said that although they modeled him after Q, John De Lancie himself only agreed to do the part later on, she almost crapped herself on the spot lol

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm in line in the drive thru at Taco Bell, car in front of me rocking a mane six decal

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
As someone who watched like 5 episodes of the show ... equestria girls is canon within the regular ponyverse?

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Here's Discord's introduction (yeesh, these old YouTube clips are surprisingly low quality)

And a post-face-turn clip.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Time for Applejack's final season before she becomes Sunset Shimmer. How exciting!
Also, Trixie got robbed by not being included in the OP character menagerie.

1842373.gif

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I feel like the show is ending exactly on schedule for me. It's not going on forever like SpongeBob or something, but it's also gone for long enough that I'm ready for it to end.

Still feels weird though.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who watched like 5 episodes of the show ... equestria girls is canon within the regular ponyverse?
It's a bit weird, in that Equestria Girls acknowledges the events of Friendship is Magic, but Friendship is Magic almost never acknowledges Equestria Girls.

The closest it has ever come is when the villains of the EQG movie Rainbow Rocks appeared in a flashback in the FiM season 7 finale.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
It's a bit weird, in that Equestria Girls acknowledges the events of Friendship is Magic, but Friendship is Magic almost never acknowledges Equestria Girls.

The closest it has ever come is when the villains of the EQG movie Rainbow Rocks appeared in a flashback in the FiM season 7 finale.

So it is like Agents of Shield?

Ok xD

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
I'm ready for one last go 'round before the reset. Season 8 didn't start too well, but it came back around in the end, and I'm excited to see how they wrap everything up after so long.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to include the EQG special in the episode guide in the OP, when it was the entire reason I created this thread now.

It's Spring Break and the Mane 7 are about to board the most glorious yacht ever for a relaxing cruise. But Rainbow Dash is convinced that Equestrian Magic is on the loose and won't let anyone rest until she finds it!

The official synopsis goes for another sentence that, well, goes a bit too far in describing the story. Suffice it to say, this happens:
small.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Forgot to include the EQG special in the episode guide in the OP, when it was the entire reason I created this thread now.

The official synopsis goes for another sentence that, well, goes a bit too far in describing the story. Suffice it to say, this happens:
small.gif
We've trotted full circle.

It's been a wild ride since this show began and, honestly, I wouldn't have believed it if I tried convincing myself back then it was good.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's been a long and strange run. Didn't get into it until after Season 2 was finished which was right when the series peaked in mainstream appeal, but the series retreated from the public eye but quietly grew in quality after that point.

Season 3 was annoyingly short but kicked off the CMC-Luna trilogy and set the stage for the series to grow through Twilight becoming a princess.

Season 4 then really kicked off from there. This season doesn't get a lot of credit among current community members, but it also gave us this:

IkADCXj.gif

And so will be fondly remembered.

Season 5 onward is when it really started becoming character driven. Here you started to see the show's lows get lower but the highs got higher as the writers got more confident. The stakes lowered but the personality really started coming out:

QC8PCV.gif

Seasons 6 and 7 kind of blend together in my memory, taking the strengths of season 5 and playing them up further with more focus on side characters.

Season 8 used the movie to expand the world and started setting the stage for the endgame. By now you've got a huge cast of characters all with their own stuff going on and it's fairly impressive how the writers manage to juggle it.

Compared to some of my favorite cartoons from this decade, like Adventure Time, Regular Show, Clarence, The Legend of Korra, OKKO, and Craig of the Creek, it doesn't reach that level of excellence as consistently as I'd like, but the showrunners and writers deserve credit for building a world that really grows and changes over time, while not being properly serialized and still being shackled by needing to sell what the toy line needs them to sell. They've done something special in having such a large and well-realized cast of characters in a changing world. Long after the shock factor of "they made MLP into this!?" wore off, the show grew into a great strength in its own right.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Oh man, I can't wait to watch another EQG thing and not like it but watch it anyways because I AM SCUM

Fuck though. Nine seasons. Been a hellova ride so far.

EQG - Spring Breakdown

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Finally managed to watch the entirety of Spring Breakdown. (Don't know why you would upload a super quality version of the episode on a service that kicks you out when you've downloaded too much) There's some really fun moments, but they're almost entirely condensed into the 2nd half of the special and the first half is pretty insufferable. This is easily the worst showing from human Rainbow, and all of the other storylines might not be as bad as Rainbow's but they're all generally uninteresting or not funny. The 2nd half is more fun, but even that part has a lot of problems. I know it's a cartoon but it's really annoying to me that both SciTwi and Applejack know how to fix the yacht but the crew that actually runs the boat has no idea. The time in Equestria is fun until the characters go "oh wait there's an actual plot going on we should deal with that" and it's abruptly cut short. Pony Twilight freaks out about how the storm is really bad but doesn't go to Dougworld to make sure it's actually taken care of? And it's kind of disappointing that the pony versions of the EQG characters are basically identical to their pony counterparts. SciTwi is just Unicorn Twilight with glasses on, and Rainbow is literally identical. Similarly to Forgotten Friendship it feels like the big concept that people were really interested in seeing is only there for a short portion of the running time and doesn't come close to reaching its potential. I don't want to come off sounding too negative because once the special got going it was pretty enjoyable, but it's pretty disappointing and easily my least-favorite special so far.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
The main series is ending but is EQG ending too?
There has been no clarity on that whatsoever... outside of them marketing this weekend's special as the start of EQG Season 2.

Personally, I expect they'll keep Equestria Girls running post-Friendship is Magic completion so as to afford themselves a safety net in the event that Gen 5 stumbles out of the gate. Not just as a My Little Pony property but as a baked-in vehicle to transition fan-loved characters from Gen 4 to Gen 5 to encourage fandom bleedover. (Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer are the most likely candidates for this.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Equestria Girls: Spring Breakdown
Yeesh, Rainbow is really annoying in this, eight minutes in.

Oh no, Rarity love interest! Getting mixed messages from this and "Rollercoaster of Friendship"...

And I hadn't noticed until they were right next to each other, but Ragamuffin is a male Irish version of Applejack. Even more mixed messages...

When Rarity heard the riverdancing, I thought it was going to be like that scene in Titanic where Rose goes to that party on the lower decks. I mean, that's obviously what they were going for, but I thought more so.

Alright, guessing this guy is faking it.

Rainbow is really the worst in this special.

SciTwi, to Sunset: "I wouldn't trade you for anything in the world. In any world." holds Sunset's hand.
eyes_1f440.png

Halfway through, this special is straight up bad. The pony side has a lot of slack to pick up.

Spike has no wings? Weird that this would be set in the past.

This is suffering from the same problem as "Mirror Magic". Instead of focusing on the fun stuff, it keeps cutting back to the main conflict, which I don't care much about. Rainbow is Juniper in this comparison, I guess.

Wait, why didn't Princess Twilight go with them? She's the only one that knows how to use the Staff. Though I guess SciTwi magically does too now.

Oh, everyone can fly indefinitely in ponied up form, I guess.

Sunset's power used for something besides getting story exposition for once!

Ragamuffin accent confirmed fake.

I'll be blunt... that was "Mirror Magic" 2. Complete with them constantly cutting away from the good stuff. Specials go "Forgotten Friendship" > "Rollercoaster of Friendship" >>> "Spring Breakdown".

Wait, what happened to that "Hands in the Air" song? With Fluttershy walking a lobster? I guess that just like how "Forgotten Friendship" was followed by several beach shorts, we're getting a bunch of cruise ship shorts later.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
There has been no clarity on that whatsoever... outside of them marketing this weekend's special as the start of EQG Season 2.
As a correction, the start of EQG season 2 was this short back in January. Even says Season 2 in the video title.

There's some really fun moments, but they're almost entirely condensed into the 2nd half of the special and the first half is pretty insufferable. This is easily the worst showing from human Rainbow, and all of the other storylines might not be as bad as Rainbow's but they're all generally uninteresting or not funny.
Honestly this might beat "Grannies Gone Wild" and "Non-Compete Clause" in terms of Annoying Dash in general. And I agree that none of the other storylines were interesting. Rarity's shopping spree especially was complete padding.

The time in Equestria is fun until the characters go "oh wait there's an actual plot going on we should deal with that" and it's abruptly cut short.
It couldn't let us enjoy Sunset and the others talking to Princess Twilight, and kept interrupting with the ship sinking.

Come to think of it, no response from SciTwi to Spike being a dragon? Or Rainbow to the fact that SciTwi and PonyTwi look so different while she looks exactly like her pony self? Or PonyTwi to the fact that SciTwi is a unicorn?

And it's kind of disappointing that the pony versions of the EQG characters are basically identical to their pony counterparts. SciTwi is just Unicorn Twilight with glasses on, and Rainbow is literally identical. Similarly to Forgotten Friendship it feels like the big concept that people were really interested in seeing is only there for a short portion of the running time and doesn't come close to reaching its potential.
Could have at least given SciTwi a ponytail. And yeah, there was so much more they could have done in Ponyland other than everyone just sitting at a table talking.

I don't want to come off sounding too negative because once the special got going it was pretty enjoyable, but it's pretty disappointing and easily my least-favorite special so far.
Same here.

~~~

Here's the old Comic Con trailer, which has footage that wasn't in the special. 50 seconds in, if the timestamp doesn't work.

Tweets from Katrina Hadley, director of EQG, that should clear things up.

Sean Horace
‏ @SeanHorace
Mar 29

@ishiH3Art @isitlunchyet_t @MMeghanMcCarthy @TheBiggestJim About the new EqG special airing tomorrow? After it's release, will it air into 4-5 parts on Hasbro's YouTube channel? And will there be any deleted scenes intact in them if it does?

K.Hadley
‏ @isitlunchyet_t
Replying to @TheBiggestJim @SeanHorace and

I assume it will. We split them into 6 parts this time around, all running approximately 7 minutes and 30 seconds. There will be no cut scenes as each part was timed and cut to be reassembled for broadcast on TV without losing any content.
9:06 AM - 29 Mar 2019
She didn't follow up on this, so it's safe to assume nothing was cut.

Christian suess
‏ @Christiansuess2
5h5 hours ago

@isitlunchyet_t what happened to those spring breakdown scenes that were shown in the promos where the mane 7 were dancing and that first song that was shown in the san diego comic con trailer ?

K.Hadley
‏ @isitlunchyet_t
Replying to @Christiansuess2

They were from a different piece of content. Those promos are often mash ups of many different episodes to get people hyped
10:35 AM - 30 Mar 2019

Confirmed further here that it's real footage, not made for the trailer.

I suppose everything else we've seen could fit into a single song short. I guess they sang it before Rainbow decided to screw everything up?

Christian suess
‏ @Christiansuess2
2h2 hours ago

@isitlunchyet_t i also saw in the special that spike doesn't have his wings does this special takes place between the movie and season 8

K.Hadley
‏ @isitlunchyet_t
Replying to @Christiansuess2

We didn't know spike was getting wings when we made the special. So I suppose yes.
12:54 PM - 30 Mar 2019

Why Spike didn't have wings. Honestly, I just sort of assumed that once Spike gained wings, they archived all the old Spike assets, so it's interesting that something that came out after not just season 8, but "Best Gift Ever", would be made without knowing that happened.

And lastly for now,
Amar-Kareem Guimba
‏ @AMARKAREEM2
2h2 hours ago

@isitlunchyet_t The ending to Dance Magic with the Yacht implied the Shadowbolts might play a role in a spring-themed special but they weren't in this one. Were they ever intended to be in it at point but were due to too many characters?

K.Hadley
‏ @isitlunchyet_t
Replying to @AMARKAREEM2

They were never intended to be. It was just a device to give motivation to the SBs.Also we don't plan that far ahead with storylines. Hasbro wanted a dance theme to make dance outfits for toys- so dance magic. They wanted a spring break on a boat so there could be cruise wear.
1:10 PM - 30 Mar 2019
Yeah, before I watched this, I just assumed this story was following up on "Dance Magic", which ended with the Shadowbolts (minus Indigo Zap) inviting the Rainbooms to play on their yacht.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got all 18 episodes of season 7, all of season 8 and the christmas special to watch between now and season 9 starting... Gotta do a marathon.

Nali

Oct 25, 2017
Cruise ship special thoughts:
  • One of those stories where the moral of the whole thing comes out a bit fuzzy in the end because someone's behavior isn't really in the right, even if they were right. Kinda hard to get worked up about those at this point.
  • Like RoF, Confalone is funny enough that the jokes carried my enjoyment, overall. Could've gone for seeing the Twilights bond a little, but I didn't think they'd ever even meet face to face again in the first place, and this just wasn't that story.
  • I'm flabbergasted that we got a reference back to the play shorts, and it's nice to see a piece of media that pulls FiM, EG, and the movie all into a single script. Give me a Tempest episode in S9 plz :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

Cruise ship special thoughts:
  • One of those stories where the moral of the whole thing comes out a bit fuzzy in the end because someone's behavior isn't really in the right, even if they were right. Kinda hard to get worked up about those at this point.
  • Like RoF, Confalone is funny enough that the jokes carried my enjoyment, overall. Could've gone for seeing the Twilights bond a little, but I didn't think they'd ever even meet face to face again in the first place, and this just wasn't that story.
  • I'm flabbergasted that we got a reference back to the play shorts, and it's nice to see a piece of media that pulls FiM, EG, and the movie all into a single script. Give me a Tempest episode in S9 plz :(
Yeah, Rainbow being proven right is whatever.

On their own, the jokes are great, but so many of them were tied to Rainbow being a jerk or the fact that the story isn't actually suited to the characters spending a bunch of time in Ponyland, so that brought them down. And yeah, my expectation was that Sunset, SciTwi, and Rainbow wouldn't actually go to Ponyville or anywhere, and just be ponies for a few minutes. What they did is still a wasted opportunity, but not as much as I thought.

Oh yeah, I did really like that Rarity called back to the play shorts.
thumb.gif

It didn't occur to me that this special brings together so much of the franchise. I too hope they splurge on Emily Blunt and Tempest returning for this last season.

~~~

By the way, every Sunday at 3:30 PM PT, we have a group watch for new episodes and other things. I announce them in the Hangouts thread, but for this time only, I'll announce it here too. We'll be watching:
1. EQG - Spring Breakdown
2. Tangled - The Brothers Hook
3. The Simpsons - A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again
4. The Simpsons - E My Sports
5. The Simpsons - Bart vs. Itchy & Scratchy

For details about where to watch, either PM me or join our Discord. Invite below.
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
EQG continues to deliver pretty bad plotting and character work. Which sucks because we've SEEN good stuff out of it before. It just wasn't this.

RBD took the idiot stick and batted the plot around until it actually went somewhere, but by then we were so far in that it didn't matter. Also no real showtunes was a letdown.

"Let's put animals on a yacht so Flutters has something to do" also was just lame. Like I'm perfectly fine with a 45 minute episode with these characters on vacation. I'm also fine with them doing nothing more than having like, fun and no real stakes. Make it like Seinfeld. Just low-ball character moments and jokes. I don't need lasers or magic. Like, that's kind of the appeal of EQG. They're supposed to be somewhat NORMAL.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
... OK, I think I'll wait for Derpibooru to end their dumb April Fools joke before making the episode followup. They're marking random images as deleted due to EU Article 13; you can still access them by clicking the comments instead of the thumbnail, but it's a huge pain. Their previous pranks weren't as obtrusive, as I recall. The special has been surprisingly light on fan art so far anyway. I guess people drew everything they wanted to draw from the trailers; there was a big fan art influx after each of those.

In any case, we have some news! Discovery Family's current Instagram story is a 15 second animatic from the season 9 premiere. You need to be logged in to see it, but someone helpfully put it on YouTube.

But the real big news is:
Capture.JPG

Lewis and Songco are back! And writing the season premiere! If you aren't familiar, they wrote the following episodes: The Perfect Pear, A Royal Problem, All Bottled Up, Celestial Advice, Top Bolt, Gauntlet of Fire, The Hooffields and McColts, Rarity Investigates!, and Castle Sweet Castle. Not many writers have such a solid record with this show. They left after season 7 to work on a sitcom called The Great Indoors, which seems to have ended.

Also, random dumb video.

Last edited:

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
I'm ready and...not ready for the end. Deep down I'm gonna be sad when it's finally all over. But I know it's all for the best, and I'm glad they'll be able to end it on their own time. Not having to be surprised by it or having the show become a shell of it's former self. I really hope they release that piano rendition of the main theme soon or after the show is over. Beautiful and big.

This show will always hold a special place in my heart and has helped change my life in a big way that probably hasn't hit me yet. I'll probably gather up all my plushies that I have and watch the series finale with them all!

Thank you little ponies...I'm ready for one last ride.

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Derpibooru's back to normal, so time for the "Spring Breakdown" followup... tomorrow.

In contrast, Equestria Daily had a pretty tame April Fools Day joke, with a fake season 9 episode list that's space themed, and has some nice gags. They had other space themed articles, including this collection of space-themed fan art from over the years; lots of good stuff in there.

The MLP Reddit had fake discussion topics for season 9 leaks, which fooled people in the Discord for a hot second.

Compared to last year's poop joke, the official MLP Instagram April Fools Day joke is pretty weak: just a picture of Spike with, "Season 9 is coming, but Spike will be going! The first episode, premiering Saturday, will bid Spike farewell as the baby of dragons is off on a search for his mother." But in the process, I did spot this fun image from last week.
Screenshot_2019-03-29-19-06-10.png

Also earlier, Equestria Daily held this poll.
1.jpg

Pretty accurate, I should say.

Lastly, this video is from a couple days ago, but I held off watching it because I didn't realize what it was. Michelle Creber and (halfway through) Claire Corlett, the voices of Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, sing a selection of CMC songs, and have a message for the fans.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Lastly, this video is from a couple days ago, but I held off watching it because I didn't realize what it was. Michelle Creber and (halfway through) Claire Corlett, the voices of Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle, sing a selection of CMC songs, and have a message for the fans.

Man this is crazy, I remember way back in the day when she first made a YouTube channel, she was so young back then. Both of them look like young adults now, it sort of drives home just how long this show has been around.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Man this is crazy, I remember way back in the day when she first made a YouTube channel, she was so young back then. Both of them look like young adults now, it sort of drives home just how long this show has been around.
We've been watching them grow up just as we have watched the CMCs grow up throughout the show. They're clearly no longer blank flanks and it's going to be interesting to see where their voice acting efforts take them from here... or whether they'll move on to other exploits.

Madeleine Peters was already a little more grown up at the start so her, not so much. Curious to see whether they just leave Scootaloo's lack of flight as this unstated, unresolved thing at the end of Season 9... or if she'll actually find a way to fly on her own two wings.

Ravio-li

Dec 24, 2018
Oh, already? I'm going to miss that show :( Time to rewatch all of it!

If I remember correctly they want to do another movie to close with the series, right? And then afterward start with the next Gen. It's a bit sad to see these characters go, but I'm quite excited to see how Gen 5 will be.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
If I get dusted in a few minutes, I hope to see the rest of you on the other side in a little over 3 weeks time.
Likewise for those of you who get dusted should I survive.

Best wishes and take care!

OP
OP
SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
If I get dusted in a few minutes, I hope to see the rest of you on the other side in a little over 3 weeks time.
Likewise for those of you who get dusted should I survive.

Best wishes and take care!
RIP Uber, won't even get to post his reaction when Flurry Heart steals the throne.

Speaking of which, the Discovery Family Instagram put up a story with various suggestions as to who the season premiere villain could be. ED link. There's more at the link, but the most worthwhile one is:
2.JPG

And there's a new animatic, more spoilery than the last but nothing we didn't see in the trailer.

Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
Another new animatic was also released on Tinder, showcasing some new stuff that's pretty interesting: Link because it can't be embeded

Sombra's new voice is pretty weird (people are speculating it's voiced by a staff member) but honestly I like him a lot more here then I did in his first appearance. The big problem with Sombra the first time wasn't that he wasn't meanacing enough, but because he was pretty boring and had almost no personality aside from obsessing over crystals and being evil. He seems a lot sillier now, but at least he has more of a personality and presence to him. We'll see how it's actually executed in the episode though.