• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Season 8 coming to US Netflix on November 12th
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    For the first bit of news in this thread after the season 8 thread closing, season 8 will be coming to US Netflix on November 12th!

And now to demonstrate mixing news with fanfic discussion!

Sandbox by Summer Dancer
    This was recommended in FimFiction's Royal Canterlot Library (a recommendation series). It's a cute short story of filly Twilight encountering Sunset, who proceeds to subtly and unknowingly shape her future. I thought Sunset scaring her with the Magic Kindergarten story from "Lesson Zero" was a bit much, but otherwise, this did a good job showing the sort of influence she could have on Twilight after a short meeting that neither would remember years later. I liked that Twilight was already not feeling friendship, and Sunset just gave her more of a push in that direction. Still, there isn't too much to this story, but there isn't supposed to be.

An Ordinary Day by alt-tap
    Also recommended by the Royal Canterlot Library. This is another short story, just showing a normal day in the life of Fluttershy from her perspective. I can see this appealing to people, but honestly, I wasn't a fan. Fluttershy's grooming of Rainbow while talking about her muscles and smell was more creepy than sweet, and she seemed condescending when talking about the others. Also, despite this presenting itself as a season 2 setting, there's unexpectedly a changeling original character and changeling lore. I don't really have a problem with that, but I found it odd. Still, there is some appeal to this relaxed and zen-like depiction of Fluttershy.

Princess Luna is dead. Again. by Equimorto
    I don't remember why I decided to read this. Just saw the description and short length on the FimFiction front page and went for it? Anyway, this is a short and amusing story where everyone thinks Luna is dead but she isn't.

Conversations with Eternity by Sunchaser
    I think I might have seen this recommended by FimFiction when reading another story (none of the above), because I don't know how else I would have found a 2013 pre-season 3 story that isn't from an author I was already reading. I had forgotten that Gallopfree was a thing in the early fandom, as the place Doctor Hooves came from (based on Gallifrey from Doctor Who). He doesn't appear here, to be clear. Anyway, Luna goes to Gallopfree, has flashbacks involving good old pre-Princess Twilight alicorn mythology, and talks to a figure known as the Steward of the Well. Luna talks about the Nightmare Moon thing and the Steward says she can forgive herself, while acting mysterious. I found the slice of alicorn mythology interesting, but there's not much to this story, really. Still, it's alright.

And lastly, new chapter of The Enchanted Kingdom by Monochromatic
    Here's the review I posted.
    Snuggling scene was just as adorable as when it involved pirates attacking.

Hmm, interesting that the Tree of Harmony is involved here. Did we know that already? This fic has mainly used FiM concepts from the first three seasons, so I like noting when things from after that pop up--the Arimaspi mention also counts. It'll be interesting to see why the Tree spread the Elements around like that.

That part where Twilight was spiraling into self hatred after realizing she was wrong about how the Elements worked and Rarity looked really worried was rough. She was acting pretty similar to her rant before she got sealed away for two years.

This chapter was mainly story progression, but there were still fun character moments. I'm kind of surprised Pinkie speaking rock hasn't shown up in the show itself; though I suppose that's more Maud's thing. My favorite part was

"Pinkie!" Rarity cut off. "Write to Dusty Tales immediately and let him know we'll be needing every book he'll give us!"

"Oki-doki!"

"But I have books to give you!" Twilight interjected, and was promptly ignored. "

Poor Twilight, not getting to give her books.

I'm curious to see how Seeking Night will be handled.

Equestria Girls removed from Netflix
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    I have zero fear of double posts in this thread!

New Humble Bundle contains the early IDW MLP comic volumes. I bought this to get the early IDW Jem comic volumes; I was meaning to read those.

The first Equestria Girls movie has been removed from US Netflix. I guess it wasn't so safe after all. Weird that this is gone but nothing else, especially since they added Forgotten Friendship and Rollercoaster of Friendship just recently.

Another art dump.
    1. This and next three images have Humane Seven, Starlight, and Juniper - The Haunted House | Halloween 2018 (part 1 of 3) by InvisibleInkDoodles on DeviantArt - Mainly posting this set because somehow Juniper Montage is included
    2.The Horrid Hills| Halloween 2018 (part 2 of 3) by InvisibleInkDoodles on DeviantArt
    3.The Mysterious Mill| Halloween 2018 (part 3 of 3) by InvisibleInkDoodles on DeviantArt
    4. Kirin queen - Queen of Silence by Taiga-Blackfield on DeviantArt
    5.Sandbar the Clever by CloudyGlow on DeviantArt
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.King Gallus by CloudyGlow on DeviantArt
    2.Silverstream - Gotcha by Dashy21 on DeviantArt
    3.Nightmare Night Celestia and Luna by darkest-lunar-flower
    4. Autumn Blaze - Backscratcher by Szafir87 on DeviantArt
    5. Rarity - The other side by The-Park on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.gif

medium.png

1.Twinkle Sprinkle by SnakeyThingy on DeviantArt
    2.Starlight plushie getting ready to play keyboard by nekokevin - And here's the video of her playing music.
    3. Pony of Shadows and Somnambula - Hope and Fear by Ruirik on DeviantArt
    4. Flutterbat and Applejack - Happy (late) Halloween!!! by MagnaLuna on DeviantArt
    5. Smolder - Awesome Holidays by uotapo on DeviantArt
    6.Charming Princess Luna by MinamiKoboyasy on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1. Pinkie - Night For Joy by LA-ndy on DeviantArt
    2.Nightmare Rarity[+Video] by Jun1313 on DeviantArt
    3.Fluttershy and Winterchilla by Villaincorner on DeviantArt
    4. Princesses - MLPFiM: Halloween 2018 by dsp2003 on DeviantArt
    5. Dazzlings - HALLOWEEN!! by AmazingPuffhair on DeviantArt
    6.Pony and EQG Pinkie by uuunicorn23
    medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

Comics
    MLPFiM EG: What Sunset sees... [Comic] by dsp2003 on DeviantArt - Loss, but cute
    large.png

Japanese comic where Marble gets minor revenge on Sugar Belle by sazanamibd - Not translated, but easy enough to understand.
    large.jpeg

~~~

And stream announcements!

On Friday, we're watching five episodes of Utena, 25-29, with the goal of finishing it this month.

And on Sunday, we're going back to a normal-ish schedule. While we have the chance, might as well watch a two parter.
    medium.png

1. MLP - A Canterlot Wedding parts 1-2
    2. Big Hero 6 episode 11 - Killer App
    3. Reboot season 2 episode 5 - Painted Windows
    4. Fate/Zero 11
    5. Super Gals 27(-28?)

We're reaching a stretch of Big Hero 6 episodes where I won't skip any for a while.

I feel the need to get through Reboot: The Guardian Code('s first season) and to do that, we need a Hexadecimal episode so we can contrast how she's presented in Guardian Code.

And we're going to start watching Super Gals again! Unfortunately, these episodes never got an English dub, so they'll be sub only.

Comic - Friendship is Magic #72
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Ah, I remember this one. Very different, very good.
    Actually saw your two-word review while looking through the comments after.

Found this quiz, can YOU get all of the questions right first time? (This quiz may or may not be targeted at 8 year olds)

http://quizzzes.com/wpquize/my-little-pony-quiz/

The only question I got wrong was the one that was complete nonsense and wasn't in any episodes. Also they sure do love the CMC and Rarity Takes Manehattan
    I know what question you're talking about, because I got that wrong too, haha. Though is there anything noteworthy about this quiz? Pretty sure that site allows anyone to make them.

Friendship is Magic #72
    This was a pretty adorable story, following up on "The Perfect Pear" with the Apple Family (including Pinkie) working together to figure out Buttercup's pie recipe. In the process, they once again learn more about the Apple Parents from ponies who knew them, though in this case, it's ponies who weren't particularly close to them but still have good memories.
    unknown.png

Art is cute, but it's pretty heavy on ponies standing on their back legs and holding things with their front. Plus, as Silver Quill's review points out, the new locations are pretty generic and bland looking.
    pushing_box.png

Not much else to say, really. It's a sweet issue with several cute moments. I suppose I can say I didn't expect the final twist about the pie, but it makes tons of sense.

frosting_discussion.png

~~~

Some more art, no art dump yet.

EG Half Pony by Serviner-Tama on DeviantArt
    medium.png

Incidentally, that does demonstrate pretty clearly the difference between Sunset's skin color as a human and her fur color as a pony.

A cozy place by JumbleHorse on DeviantArt
    medium.png

Rarity caught by hamanaki
    medium.png

Last edited:
    MLP manga announced
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Bookish's stories tend to look like fluff and give off warm fuzzy feelings like fluff in the end, but get there through the lens of people confronting their fears, sadness, and insecurities in good company. Light on shipping, heavy on feelings and toku references.

(disclaimer: Bookish is a friend and I am not at all a neutral third party here.)
    Haha, fine, maybe I'll check them out later.

!!!
    MLP manga announced!
    1.jpg

Seven Seas Entertainment is thrilled to announce My Little Pony: The Manga – A Day in the Life of Equestria, an all-new manga series set in the world of Hasbro's My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Under license from Hasbro, Inc., this original manga series is told in the familiar four-panel style used in many manga from Japan, with eight self-contained, interconnected stories in each volume for fans of all ages to enjoy.

The land of Equestria comes alive in this distinctive My Little Pony manga series that spotlights each of the Mane 6 and a host of other characters from the exciting world around them! When Pinkie Pie lends a hoof to help Twilight Sparkle and Spike clean up the library, she discovers a mysterious mirror with the power to gaze into alternate realities. Upon entering the inter-dimensional portal, Pinkie Pie sets off a chain of events that threatens to cause a giant mess in Equestria! Follow this adventure–and many more–in this hilarious new My Little Pony manga series.

Seven Seas will publish My Little Pony: The Manga – A Day in the Life of Equestria for the first time anywhere in print and on digital platforms in single volume editions. Volume 1 will be released in June 2019 for $10.99 USA / $13.99 CAN.

There will also be a papercraft book released in July.

This is pretty interesting. There was actually an official manga before (you may remember me posting a page where Twilight brings Golden Oaks Library to life to sate a horny male tree), but to my knowledge, that never officially came to the US and it was just one release. The synopsis for this is pretty different from that, and the old manga was pre season 3 stuff anyway.

It's weird that they don't list the artist, but the art does resemble that of the previous manga's from what I recall.

The worldwide release will be the US one, so I'm not sure what this means for MLP in Japan. It's interesting that we're getting a brand new G4 comic series this late in the show's life (assuming "volume 1" isn't misplaced optimism).

The art looks cute, and the fact that it will use a 4 koma format means it will feel way different from the IDW comics no matter what, so I'm looking forward to this.

In other news, Daniel Ingram is hinting at a soundtrack release for MLP the Movie's score. To be confirmed November 16.

MLP the Movie soundtrack released
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    My Little Pony: The Movie's score has been released, including what was meant to be the original opening song, before it was replaced by "Ponies Got the Beat".

And someone combined that and the original opening exposition with the current opening to create this.

Yeah, that version of the intro is way less cringe. And given confusion reviewers had about the movie, that opening narration probably was needed.

New The Enchanted Kingdom chapter. Someone in the comments mentioned they created a TV Tropes page, and I added to it, but it's hard coming up with tropes off the top of your head. Here's the review I posted.
    Did my part in adding to these, but jeez, it's hard just coming up with tropes that apply.

This was a good chapter. I'm curious to see how this plan fails works out. It seems like failure would have a pretty small impact, since they can just try again later, so there has to be something to up the stakes.

[In response to a comment saying this]
    And yes, Twilight does need to snuggle Rarity for being a smart horse.

February comic solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Haven't read today's comic yet, but have some February synopses.

MLPFIM #75 (double size issue)
    (W) Katie Cook, Andy Price (A/CA) Andy Price
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

My Little Pony celebrates 75 issues of friendship and fun with this double-sized adventure! When a chance purchase leads to a legendary quest for a missing constellation, the ponies reach for the stars and find themselves in the path of their most galactic villain yet... the chaotic Cosmos!
    In Shops: Feb 13, 2019

Nightmare Knights #5
    (W) Jeremy Whitley (A) Tony Fleecs (CA) Brenda Hickey
    4.jpg
    5.jpg

Princess Luna and the Nightmare Knights face the ultimate test! With the fate of the heist-and Luna's powers-in the hands of Eris, will the bond between sisters be enough to overcome her chaotic plans?! The quest for Luna's stolen magic reaches its epic conclusion! Tables turn and truths are brought to light as the Nightmare Knights' heist comes to a close!
    In Shops: Feb 20, 2019

There's some significance to the use of Cosmos here. In early planning for The Movie, Cosmos was meant to be Celestia and Luna's evil brother, who had a broken horn and no wings. He used the Storm King (a powerful spirit then) to conquer Canterlot, forcing the Mane Six to go on their quest. It doesn't seem like this Cosmos has much relation to that concept, but it will be interesting if they chose to make him related to Celestia and Luna.

Katie Cook is returning as the writer, her first MLP story since the backup story of the MLP Deviations special (with Blueblood) I believe. It's neat that for this special issue, they're bringing back the writer of most of the big epic arcs, though those arcs were hit or miss, so we'll have to see how this turns out. It's also unclear if this story will be multiple issues or just this double size one.

With Nightmare Knights coming to an end, the last synopses doesn't say anything unexpected. I'm curious to see what miniseries comes next. I'm still expecting an Equestria Girls comic, because we're overdue for one. It'd be neat if the Gurihiru covers for the Japanese EQG comic volume release was a hint that they're working on this.

Speaking of which, they posted the covers in better resolutions. The volumes are out in Japan now (it's just the 2013 and 2014 specials).
    Variant A
    Variant B
    medium.jpeg
    medium.jpeg

Comic - Nightmare Knights #2
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017

Look it's Rainbow dAsh Ketchum!

The new comic I thought was really fun. The first issue was dragged down pretty hard by all of the exposition (most of which didn't really make sense if you actually thought about it) but now that it's getting to the part of the story where everyone's finally getting to interact with each other it's a lot better. Stygian hasn't been the most interesting so far, but the rest of the cast has been pretty fun. Trixie once again shows that she can be a super fun character if they actually give her something to bounce off of, (As much as I love her friendship with Starlight it's really frustrating that she never gets to do anything substantial with anyone else) Capper is maybe a bit different from the movie but his perception as a man looking to test his skills works, and Tempest feels like a character that's grown from both her portrayal in the movie and the comics. She wants to make up for all the bad things that she's done, but still isn't fully comfortable living in Equestria. Aside from the convoluted setup I really wish that this sort of story was in the show. I feel like most of the characters really could use the development and attention.

My favorite panel:
    1887414__safe_artist-colon-tonyfleecs_capper+dapperpaws_princess+luna_stygian_tempest+shadow_trixie_my+little+pony-colon-+the+movie_nightmare+knights_s.png

Kotobukiya Twilight Sparkle revealed
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    I haven't watched the video yet, but SF Debris reviewed another set of MLP episodes: Best Night Ever, Pinkie Pride, Hearth's Warming Eve, and Hearthbreakers.

I don't get this selection at all. I get that the latter two are holiday episodes, but only "Hearth's Warming Eve" particularly feels like it's in Chuck's wheelhouse.
    Alright, watched it. There's a shared theme of missing the point of celebrations, but there's still the problem that some of these aren't particularly fantasy or story focused episodes; though the boat on that set sail a long time ago, I suppose.

Anyway, there are some good quips in this video, and he seemed to enjoy the episodes.

Minor update to the Sunday stream, we'll be showing two Kaleido Star episodes (3-4) and no Super Gals.

And speaking of streams, there will be a bunch of Christmas and holiday streams this month. I'm leaning toward airing the following, using this thread as a basis for the first set.
    Animaniacs - A Christmas Plotz/Little Drummer Warners (1993)
    The Loud House: 11 Louds a Leapin' (2016)
    Hey Arnold: Arnold's Christmas (1996)
    Futurama - first (and second?) Christmas episodes
    The REAL Ghostbusters - X-Mas Marks the Spot (1986)
    The Christmas Tree (1991) (mandatory bad special)
    Olive, the Other Reindeer (1999)
    A Pinky and the Brain Christmas (1995)
    Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation
    Penn Zero Part Time Hero: North Pole Down

And others:
    The Nightmare Before Christmas (we actually have someone who hasn't seen this)
    MLP Hearth's Warming marathon (including first stream showing of Best Gift Ever)

I'll take other suggestions.
    EDIT: Bump in the Night Christmas
    EDIT: DuckTales (new episode)

~~~

Kotobukiya Twilight Sparkle Revealed!
    1543549503559.jpg

Pony Twi's face looks a bit off, but it may just be the angle. In any case, this looks great!

A new type of Equestria Girls Minis is out. I think we've heard about these before; I don't believe they're replacing the other Minis, but these are versions that have swappable accessories. I find it funny that they went anthro for the legs.
    Equestria%2BGirls%2BFashion%2BSquad%2BDoll%2BSets%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Equestria%2BGirls%2BFashion%2BSquad%2BDoll%2BSets%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Equestria%2BGirls%2BFashion%2BSquad%2BDoll%2BSets%2B%25283%2529.jpg
    Equestria%2BGirls%2BFashion%2BSquad%2BDoll%2BSets%2B%25285%2529.jpg

Last edited:
    Hearth's Warming shorts (with ponies) on Chinese site
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Three new shorts appeared on a Chinese video site. And they're PONY themed, not Equestria Girls!
    1.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg

The shorts are dubbed in Chinese, and you need a Chinese IP to watch the videos. I imagine we'll get these shorts in English later this month.

8.jpg

This title card looks really familiar. I think it was part of the leaks last year.

EDIT: The "replace" button on the image interface overlapped with the "post" button, so this got posted early.

Art dump I meant to include.
    1. Coloratura - Rara's new outfit by LordValtasar on DeviantArt
    2. Pinkie - Much candy by Mequiloano on DeviantArt
    3. Starlight and dad - Gingerbread by bobthedalek on DeviantArt
    4.[MLP] Trix by MrWh0ever on DeviantArt
    5.Mane Six alternate designs by eqq_scremble
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1.Mean Twilight listening to music by ideltavelocity
    2.EQG Rarity in dress by bibi
    3.EQG Twilight in dress by bibi
    4.EQG Applejack in dress by bibi
    5.EQG Pinkie with arms up by bibi
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.Kirin Queen by SagaStuff94 on DeviantArt
    2.Rarity humanization by rigaft on DeviantArt
    3.Humanized Mane Six sketches by lin-麟乜
    4.Fluttershy by yanamosuda
    5.Technically not Human Fluttershy but it's Human Fluttershy by yanamosuda
    medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.Lyra spinning her tail like Tails by plunger
    2.RD x FS by momori68 on DeviantArt - This and all of momori68's art below is years old, but I haven't seen it until now.
    3.pinkie pie by momori68 on DeviantArt
    4.Fluttershy Alice Ver. by momori68 on DeviantArt
    5.Princess Celestia Princess Luna by momori68 on DeviantArt
    1896280__safe_artist-colon-plunger_lyra+heartstrings_animated_drawthread_female_flying_mare_miles+%22tails%22+prower_pony_simple+background_solo_sonic+.gif

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.Angel and Human Fluttershy by momori68
    2.Rarity by momori68 on DeviantArt
    3.Pony Rarity in same outfit as above by momori68
    4.EQG Rainbow by dusty-munji
    5.Trixie X Twilight still exists by 灯灯最近不接熟人外的头像
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1896413__safe_artist-colon-momori68_rarity_clothes_female_jewelry_mare_pony_solo_unicorn.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1.Rarity by KookieChanXwX on DeviantArt - This artist has redesigns for the other Mane Six too.
    2.Seapony Twilight with an OC by whitediamonds - I usually don't post OC stuff like this, but Twilight is cute here.
    3. Luna and Nightmare Moon variants - NIghtmare by Conchita-orge on DeviantArt
    4.Lyra Heartstrings by AlexBlueBird on DeviantArt
    5. Human - Winter Starlight Glimmer + speedpaint by DrAltruist on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1. Anthro - Cozy Glow by Vautaryt on DeviantArt
    2.Yona by sa-eku
    3.Sonata Dusk by sa-eku
    4.Twilight by moozua
    5. EQG - Pinkiest Pony by mandy1412 on DeviantArt
    medium.png

1900206__safe_artist-colon-sa-dash-eku_yona_female_painting_simple+background_solo_solo+female_white+background.png

1900205__safe_artist-colon-sa-dash-eku_sonata+dusk_equestria+girls_chibi_cute_female_sonatabetes.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Hello - Drama Letter by the-butch-x
    2.Hello - Ginger Owlseye by the-butch-x
    3.Hello - Zephyr (the human girl) by the-butch-x
    4.Anthro Fluttershy by nemovonsilver
    5.Pony Fluttershy by nemovonsilver
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

1.PinkieDash Christmas by dippin-dott
    2. Based on the pony switchboard I posted earlier - Switchboard by bobthedalek on DeviantArt
    3.Human Fluttershy sketch by dagmell
    4. "A Canterlot Wedding" poster - sadasd A by YunlongChen on DeviantArt - Not intended to look lewd, but it does.
    5. Mane Six costumes - Aadsa123132213123 by YunlongChen on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

More in a later post.

Last edited:
    Season 9 fake screenshot
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    So there's a fake screenshot going around.
    large.jpeg

I'm amazed people are being fooled by this.

Just a bit of art dumping.
    .:THE MAGIC TOUCH:. (Commission) by The-Butcher-X on DeviantArt
    medium.png

1.Silverstream not just for hooves by sintakhra
    2. Trixie and her mom - HOW TO RAISE TADPOLES 1/2 by uotapo on DeviantArt
    3. Trixie and her mom - HOW TO RAISE TADPOLES 2/2 by uotapo on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

And hey, I haven't seen this guy in forever! Here's another clockwork pony figure from him, this time with a smartphone to play music!

"Triple Pony Dare Ya" Official Short
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    Those Chinese shorts are starting to get uploaded in English. I think they're all on the Discovery Go app but one of them has been uploaded to Hasbro's YouTube channel, Triple Pony Dare Ya. It's like Non-Compete Clause in short form:

"The Great Room Escape" and "Mystery Voice" Official Shorts
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    Hasbro apparently also briefly put up the next one and then took it down. It's also by the "Non-Compete Clause" writer, so it's safe to assume she wrote the third too. Maybe she's better at writing characters besides AJ and Rainbow?

The third one is by Kate Leth, who apparently did some of the CYOA stuff from last year. They're both also very awful.

Comic - Nightmare Knights #3
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    AJ definitely felt like a worry wart, considering what the elders wanted to do, but is it odd to understand that AJ had the best intentions to make sure the elders are safe? At least RD got to ride the roller coaster at the end.
    It was kind of weird that we got this at the end of the episode, implying Applejack was in the right somehow.
    small.gif

I enjoyed the grannies enjoying the resort in that episode, but Rainbow's entire role was to stop them from doing that, which only brought the episode down, IMO.

The third one is by Kate Leth, who apparently did some of the CYOA stuff from last year. They're both also very awful.
    Yeah, they were pretty bad. The first one was just Pinkie making everyone miserable. With the second, I thought the entire point was to have a voice actor joke with Ashleigh Ball showing off a bunch of voices, but then the credits show the voices were played by different VAs, so I'm confused about what they were even going for.

Nightmare Knights #3
    I was surprised to see Tempest get captured already, but this is only five issues long, after all. Her creating a distraction seemed to be way too early for their plan, but she did assume people wouldn't recognize her as the one who blew up the wheel.

Eris torturing Tempest with a nightmare was meant to establish her as a villain more, but she didn't feel menacing at all, especially with her relying on Luna's magic for this. I thought at first she was going to do something more mindtrippy to Tempest, with her seeing her allies as children, but it was just to scare her. Unfortunately, I think she'll end up being a pretty weak antagonist. Daybreaker also doesn't feel too threatening.
    unknown.png

The guard dogs getting angry at Capper was cute, but the highlight of the issue was undoubtedly Trixie getting upset about The Great and Powerful Twily.
    unknown.png

Luna has good moments in this issue, reining in Trixie and providing leadership.

In terms of cameos, we get a better look at Gloriosa, and we also have Wallflower Blush now.
    unknown.png
    wheel_of_magic.png

Overall, this was a fun issue, but it's mainly transition.

From Silver Quill's review, I hadn't realized The Great and Powerful Twily is from the Reflections dimension.

~~~

Hasbro put up this nice story of a girl with Jacobsen's syndrome opening up through MLP.

It's been a while since this happened. Pony questions appeared on an Australian quiz show. Both FiM and G1 questions appear. From the article comments, here are the questions.
    Q: Bonnie Zacherle, co-inventor of MLP toys for Hasbro in the 1980s, says she didn't play with dolls as a child, all she ever wanted was a what?
    A: Pony

Q: Part of the original toy line and '80s TV series, Applejack is a core character in the 2010 reboot FiM, with a grandma named after which Aussie apple?
    A: Granny Smith

Q: In the 1986 animated series, the characters Posey, Gusty and Honeysuckle are all voiced by which main Simpsons voice artist?
    A: Nancy Cartwright

Q: FiM protagonist Twilight Sparkle arrives in Ponyville as a unicorn, but gains wings to become which hybrid creature?
    A: Alicorn

Q: An Earth pony from the 80's toy line and series Lickety-Split is best identified by what sweet symbol on here hindquarters?
    A: Ice-cream cones

Note that there's audience snickering whenever pony names are mentioned and such. I chose not to watch it myself for that reason.

Last edited:
    Comic - Friendship is Magic #73; March comic solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Friendship is Magic #73
    Pencils returns for his third(!) comic and he knocks it out of the park with adorable art of not just Fluttershy but a huge variety of animals. I really have to say he's impressed me. I never would have thought a brony artist would do this well in an official comic setting.
    fluttershy_dogs.png

The story is mainly just an excuse for Fluttershy to do animal things. There's an amulet that makes her act like animals nearby. It apparently also makes animals act like her, but we only see this with a timberwolf and it's really just there so the ponies can figure out what happened to her, but it takes some leaps of logic.
    timbershy_attack.png

It was nice to see Zephyr appear in this story, and it was cool to see Rarity's gem finding spell pop up again. The far more confusing presence here is Trixie at the School of Friendship, not acting particularly Trixie-like but more like Starlight, with Starlight herself nowhere to be seen. It's weird.
    unknown.png

There are some nice gags. On Fluttershy's side, particularly, the part where she acts like a cat by lazing on the couch, being picky about food, and then just leaving was good. Twilight asking which is more likely, Fluttershy being tired from her work or her being under a magic spell and then realizing it's definitely the latter was great. And the resolution is fun.
    unknown.png

Silver Quill's review is surprisingly somewhat negative on the artwork. I can see his point that the character expressions could have used more exaggeration, and indeed, this can be seen with the panels he used in the article. And I hadn't considered that Zephyr's dialogue might be foreshadowing for his issue next month.

Overall, while there's little to the story, you really should just check this out for the art and cute gags.
    unknown.png

~~~

March comic solicitations. With Nightmare Knights having ended by then, we only have one proper issue, but we have a Hasbro themed special comic too, so perhaps the next MLP side series will start in April.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #76
    Katie Cook & Andy Price (w) • Andy Price (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Diego Jourdan Pereira (1:10 RI CVR)
    MLP76.jpg

The search for the missing stars of the Andalusian constellation continues! With Pinkie Pie, Big Mac, Zecora, and the Cutie Mark Crusaders on the case, this expedition's in the bag! ...Right?! Things aren't always what they seem in this thrilling new adventure featuring your favorite ponies and Equestria's biggest villain yet—Cosmos!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet points:

• Follow your favorite fillies and their friends a they seek to unravel the mystery of the missing constellation!
    • Twists and turns abound in this new story by Pony-favorites Katie Cook and Andy Price!
    Synergy: A Hasbro Creators Showcase
    Various (w) • Various (a & c)
    Synergy%2BHasbro%2B-%2BCover%2Bby%2BSara%2BPitre-Durocher.jpg

(large)

In recognition of Women's History month, IDW and Hasbro are teaming up to create SYNERGY: A HASBRO CREATORS SHOWCASE, a celebration of fan-favorites and new talent working with some of the most beloved Hasbro characters. With 13 fabulous covers drawn from the IDW archives and 27 pages of new material—including autobiographical works by Mairghread Scott (drawn by Sara Pitre-Durocher, reuniting the creative team behind the beloved Transformers: Till All Are One series) and Katie Cook (writer on the hit My Little Pony comic), as well as three original stories inspired by G.I. Joe, Transformers, and Jem and the Holograms—this anthology celebrates the women who have made, or will make, an impact on the world of Hasbro for many years to come.

FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Bullet points:

• Celebrate Women's History Month with women creators who made history!
    • Includes a collection of some of the most gorgeous and dynamic covers IDW and Hasbro have to offer—plus exciting new stories!

Here's an article announcing Synergy, and here's a tweet from Katie Cook about it.

I was asked to write a story about what Hasbro meant to me growing up so I wrote an opus to the My Little Pony Baby Bonnet School of Dance play set from 1985. I am not making this up. It will be in this very real book:

So we aren't getting a FiM story, but rather an autobiographical one related to G1, which should still be interesting. Besides, the book will be filled with other non-Pony goodies... I still need to read the Jem comic. I got volumes from a Humble Bundle, I just have to read them.

As for the main series issue, that line up of protagonists is... not what I would have expected at all. Are they the only ones involved in the story, or is it just this issue? Cosmos looks to be a chaos spirit like Discord. Eris from Nightmare Knights is supposed to be one too, but she's been underwhelming. Hopefully he turns out to be interesting.

~~~

Art dump
    1.Raridash rock by nailinhome on DeviantArt - Punk Rarity X Punk Rainbow
    2.3 by DreamSugar on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    3.Twilight doing safe magic with a book by bra1neater
    4.Believe (Speedpaint + Merch available!) by Katakiuchi4U on DeviantArt - EQG Sunset
    5.@~@ by Katakiuchi4U on DeviantArt - Pony Sunset
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Bon Bon by AlexBlueBird on DeviantArt
    2.Starlight and Trixie marriage by raikoh
    3.Daily Doodle 988 by Amarynceus on DeviantArt - Luna
    4.Rarity - Best Gift Ever Outfit by Darksly-z on DeviantArt
    5.Her Help - 2018 version by WolfieDrawie on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.[+VIDEO] Cute Fluttershy by MellonCollie-chan on DeviantArt
    2.Rariry by MellonCollie-chan on DeviantArt - Rarity
    3.Trixie for RuBronyCon's merchandise by MellonCollie-chan on DeviantArt
    4.Remember me by MellonCollie-chan on DeviantArt - Luna
    5.Marble's Minerals and More! by Sethisto on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Introductions by Pink-Pone on DeviantArt - Rarity, Applejack, and pets
    2.Broken chains by Plainoasis on DeviantArt - Cozy Glow and Tirek
    3.Mane Six by biskyfresh
    4.Rarity bubble bath by vill._.julie
    5.Filly Fluttershy and butterfly by SwitchSugar on DeviantArt
    medium.png

medium.png

large.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1.My Little Pony Christmas Rarity by SK-REE on DeviantArt
    2.fluttershy 12 15 2018 by tohupo on DeviantArt
    3.Rainbow by tohupo
    4.Tempest Shadow 12 16 2018 by tohupo on DeviantArt
    5.Cadance by tohupo
    medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1.20180416 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Seapony Luna
    2.20180314 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Seapony Celestia
    3.The Memories They Share by faitheverlasting on DeviantArt - Apple Family
    4.マイリトルポニー | Illustration: "S07E10" by Kon [pixiv] - Human Twilight and Starlight
    5.マイリトルポニー | Illustration: "S05E25" by Kon [pixiv] - Human Starlight
    1910664__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_princess+luna_tiberius_fish_pony_seaponified_seapony+luna_species+swap.png

1910663__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_philomena_princess+celestia_fish_pony_seaponified_seapony+celestia_seapony+%28g4%29_species+swap_stained+glass.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.マイリトルポニー | Illustration: "S08E05" by Kon [pixiv] - Trixie and her dad
    2.Untitled by DreamSugar on DeviantArt - Fluttershy with long hair
    3.Untitled by DreamSugar on DeviantArt - Fluttershy in clouds
    4.EQG Applejack and Rainbow in "Triple Pony Dare Ya" by dcon
    5.EQG Rainbow with backpack by dcon
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1.Fs1 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    2.Ts1 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Twilight
    3.Rr1 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Rarity
    4.Rd1 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Rainbow
    5.Pp1 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Pinkie
    6.Luna1 by yukandasama on DeviantArt - Luna
    Yes, Applejack appears to have been skipped.
    1912150__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_fluttershy_obtrusive+watermark_pocket+pony_pony_tiny_tiny+ponies_watermark.jpeg

1912153__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_twilight+sparkle_alicorn_female_mare_obtrusive+watermark_pocket+pony_pony_solo_tiny_tiny+ponies_twilight+sparkle.jpeg

1912156__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_rarity_deviantart+watermark_female_mare_obtrusive+watermark_pony_solo_tiny_tiny+ponies_unicorn_watermark.jpeg

1912157__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_rainbow+dash_female_mare_obtrusive+watermark_pony_solo_tiny_tiny+ponies_watermark.jpeg

1912158__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_pinkie+pie_female_mare_obtrusive+watermark_pony_solo_tiny_tiny+ponies_watermark.jpeg

1912159__safe_artist-colon-yukandasama_princess+luna_alicorn_female_hoof+shoes_mare_obtrusive+watermark_pony_solo_tiny_tiny+ponies_watermark.jpeg

Equestria Girls season 2 trailer
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Mainly footage from that cruise special, but we do finally have footage of that short where Sunset and Fluttershy play a video game, which was leaked over a year ago. Not feeling the song, but we already know that special has a better one. Also a shame that PonySciTwi definitely doesn't have her hair up.

Comic - Nightmare Knights #4
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Nightmare Knights #4
    For the past three issues, Eris has been the least interesting part, and unfortunately, this issue focusing on her and her backstory continues this trend. The best part of her is her nightmare powers, and even those were just stolen from Luna.

open_up_your_eyes.png

Her backstory felt oddly convoluted. Let's not forget that last we saw this universe's version of the Pony of Shadows, he tried to capture our Celestia and Luna and was in a world where he already defeated the Pillars of Equestria. This issue adds in a ton of other details of how that universe's Luna and Celestia were stashed away, and PoS capture Eris and used her powers for something, and then later used her powers to find the princesses, then raised them to be his successors, then Nightmare Moon betrayed him, then Daybreaker defeated her, then PoS turned to Eris to get Daybreaker under control, then Eris betrayed him, then yadda yadda yadda, there's a big casino of villains now. Like you could have made an entire miniseries just based on all that expo-dumping! And unless this universe's PoS pops up in the final issue, a big chunk of it is irrelevant.

steal_book.png

Further adding to Eris's lameness is how Daybreaker is able to work around her control pretty easily. It is nice that Tempest was the one to convince her to turn good, though. Luna talking to Stygian in his dreams was a nice scene too, though it was odd to reveal that even without her dream powers, she can still go into dreams (she just can't control them). Capper betraying the group is pretty obviously going to lead to him double-crossing Eris.

The highlight of the issue was the conclusion of Trixie's duel with Twilight.

magic_blast_trixie.png

Silver Quill's review reminds me that, like him, I had assumed that Daybreaker was incapable of anything but following orders, making her sudden autonomy here odd. And Luna moving the moon in issue 2 is still super weird.

Overall, this was probably the worst issue, but hopefully #5 brings it all together.

~~~

Smaller art dump.

1.Ladybug by Evehly on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    2.Egghead by Rabbitorena on DeviantArt - Human Rainbow and Twilight
    3.Silverstream by RacoonKun on DeviantArt - Human
    4.Over the Horizon by uotapo on DeviantArt - Smolder
    5.Fluttering by Aureai on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

1.Sky Full Of Tears by Queen-KittyKat on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    2.LOOK WHAT I FOUND by Celebi-Yoshi on DeviantArt - Sweetie Belle and Rarity
    3.NATG VII - Day 3 - Going batty by Pirill-Poveniy on DeviantArt - Fluttershy as a bat (not Flutterbat)
    4.Life as a DragonLord by Kenisu-of-Dragons on DeviantArt - Ember
    5.The Dazzlings by croakgua
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1936034__safe_artist-colon-croakgua_adagio+dazzle_aria+blaze_sonata+dusk_equestria+girls_arisona_clothes_cute_female_heart_hug_one+eye+closed_pigtails_.png

1.So Much More To Me by Riouku on DeviantArt - EQG Fluttershy and Fluttershy
    2.Twilight by tohupo
    3.Fluttershy by tohupo
    4.Rarity X Twilight Tangled "I See the Light" by lilfunkman
    5.Downpour of Pinkie Pies by mirroredsea
    medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1.Spike by jeglegator on DeviantArt
    2.Gallus by Spritedude on DeviantArt
    3.EG-MLP Wallpaper - Pony Swag by jhayarr23 on DeviantArt - Ponified version of EQG cruise special trailer
    4.Spike the dragon 1 16 2019 by tohupo on DeviantArt
    5.Commission - Swoop and Dash by RaikohIllust on DeviantArt - Rainbow and the Transformers dinobot Swoop
    6.... Hey by Patty-PLMH on DeviantArt - Tempest X Twilight
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

Comic - Friendship is Magic #74 and 20/20 Special
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    We got two comics today!

Friendship is Magic #74
    Our normal issue today is about Zephyr Breeze. He has a good job as a hairdresser, but he's worried about whether he's actually good enough for it, in a case of classic imposter syndrome. Fluttershy brings him and the three hairy Student Six to a hairdresser's conference. There, he befriends an experienced hairdresser, who he learns still suffers from the same worries as him, but she has learned how to manage them. It's a nice story with a lesson that will apply to many adult readers.
    encroaching_darkness.png

It was nice to see Silverstream, Yona, and Sandbar involved in this story, though they ultimately didn't do much after the beginning. It was interesting seeing Fluttershy act more teasing and playful around Zephyr, and Zephyr himself strikes a good balance between being what we saw in "Flutter Brutter" and a pony who has clearly learned from that episode's ending and has developed.
    bad_mane_day.png

Artwise, there are cute moments, but there are several moments where ponies stick their tongues out, a slam dunk for pony artists, and it doesn't look great. However, the depiction of ponies worrying with black tendrils coming out of them were good. Silver Quill's review points out that the artist is going for a more impressionistic style.
    pixie_tongue.png

The previous issue seemed to foreshadow this one, with Zephyr coming to Fluttershy's house to borrow something, but no, this doesn't follow up on that at all. Fluttershy came to see Zephyr solely because of her students, and then saw he was nervous. Though I suppose it is possible he came to get something for his nerves then decided against it.

The issue also makes the mistake of having Zephyr address Fluttershy as his baby sister, instead of his big sister.
    little_sister.png

Silver Quill points out that this is one of the few stories where a pony acts as a teacher without sabotaging themselves. No wonder Fluttershy is teacher of the month so often. The story felt a bit familiar, and he points to an unexpected reason: much of this issue is retreading the story of Friends Forever #1, the one where Applejack and Pinkie get into a baking competition but not really. This story is no doubt much stronger than that one.

IDW 20/20 Special
    Now this was a fun one, and totally adorbs. Through shenanigans, the Mane Six find themselves back in time, meeting themselves when they just got their cutie marks. It's an easy breezy story where the fillies all gawk at their older selves, come with them to Ponyville for some reason, go looking for the Elements of Harmony in easy to find places (never mind why the Mane Six had them with them), the adults return to their own times, the fillies have their memories locked away until just after they return to the present as adults.

There are three nitpicks. First, the cutie mark timeline doesn't quite work out, with Applejack shown as having them before she actually returns home and other oddities. Second, filly Fluttershy should be taller than everyone else, but she's the same size as them here. Lastly, Applejack proves she's the worst pony by not even thinking of seeing her dead parents, nor does she warn her younger self.

Also, this comic unfortunately doesn't give an exact number for how far they went back, like the synopsis did (of 20 years), so no age confirmation here.

Other than that, it's a must read if you like adorable pones.

I'll just post a bunch of cute panels.
    unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

~~~

Some YouTuber made a pony themed cake video. She had to look up the character names, so I assume this was by request. Still, the cakes look tasty.

Nice remix

Last edited:
    EQG - The Art of Cookies; April 2019 comic solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Cute enough, and I expect many stills from this to be popular, but... it's just Pinkie baking cookies
    b03_pinkieshrug.png

Only particularly wacky thing was her literally filling a bowl with tortoise kisses. Also I don't know where all the cookie dough on the walls came from.

April comic solicitations, and... there's only one comic. Does this mean they're dialing back on the comics in light of the show ending?

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #77
    Katie Cook & Andy Price (w) • Andy Price (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Philip Murphy (1:10 RI CVR)
    My%2BLittle%2BPony%2BFriendship%2Bis%2BMagic%2B77%2BCover.png

With stars aligning, villains escaping, and princesses out of commission, can Equestria's favorite ponies find a way to defeat Cosmos-before it's too late?! Cosmos is freed, and it's going to take a little bit of magic-and a lot of friendship-to stop her!

Wow, the princesses are defeated?!

Anyway, interesting that Zecora is so prominent on the cover. The synopsis kind of sounds like an ending. The first issue of this arc, #75, is double length, so it being only three issues long is possible.

Evidence of canceled IDW crossover between MLP and Transformer
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    OH SHIT, evidence there was going to be an official IDW crossover between MLP and Transformers. It was canceled.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

I don't think that cover itself looks that great, but it's a shame this never happened.

I've always felt a crossover between FiM and Transformers Animated would have worked great. In particular, Animated ends with Optimus having just become leader of the Autobots and gaining a flight mode he can't quite control yet. Perfect time for Twilight to come in and give advice! Plus, double Tara Strong with Twilight and Sari.

Equestria Girls: Spring Breakdown airs March 30
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Equestria Girls: Spring Breakdown airs March 30

It's Spring Break and the Mane 7 are about to board the most glorious yacht ever for a relaxing cruise. But Rainbow Dash is convinced that Equestrian Magic is on the loose and won't let anyone rest until she finds it! This leads to disaster on the high seas, a trip to Ponyville, and the ultimate discovery that Equestrian Magic related to the Storm King has seeped into their world and is threatening everyone on board the yacht!

That's later than I expected. So season 9 won't start until April at earliest?

About the story, I remain concerned that we won't actually get much pony stuff. Despite ED's article title, this is just a 44 minute special. The Storm King's involvement was hinted at before from previews, but now it's confirmed. I wonder how that works.

EQG Book - Starswirl Do-Over
  • Sylvee

Oct 25, 2017
    There's a new book out called "The Starswirl Do-Over" which is a CYOA book about the gang going to a music festival featuring a pop duo that Sunset and Pinkie really want to see. Here's the blurb:

In this interactive book based on all-new Equestria Girls digital content, YOU control the ending!

All the Equestria Girls are excited to be at the Starswirl Music Festival, but no one is more excited to see PostCrush, the most amazing pop duo ever, than Sunset Shimmer and Pinkie Pie! The only problem is…Sunset Shimmer is trapped in a time loop! She keeps reliving day one of the festival over and over, and she hasn't been able to make the right decisions to get to the big show. Help Sunset Shimmer find a way to figure out what kind of Equestrian magic is behind this and make it to the PostCrush concert with her best friend so she doesn't stay stuck forever!

Normally these books aren't too interesting as there's been tons of books for the mainline series that are technically canon but are never brought up in the show. However many of these EQG books have been made into specials, and this one seems like a likely candidate to be turned into one as well so it's worth checking out. I've read through probably around 75% of the book, so if you're curious about the plot for an upcoming special here's some spoilers:

The group wakes up on the first day of the event, with Sunset trying to figure out what to do before the big PostCrush concert in the evening. She tries one of the events and Pinkie tags along, but ultimately screws things up and causes them both to miss the concert. Sunset gets really mad at her and wishes that she could do the day over again. To her surprise she wakes up and finds out that it's still the first day. She tries several ways to fix things such as trying to stay up and never fall asleep, (which results in her meeting some total dreamboat guy and falling in love with him, only to return to the previous day anyway) trying to escape the festival by car only to find out that each time she always gets a flat tire, trying to get the whole thing cancelled which breaks the time stream, breaking the device that was causing the loop which causes the day to repeat forever, or trying to join PostCrush only to be terrible and get rejected every day. The canon ending happens when the gang realizes that the Dazzlings are performing at the festival. Sunset talks to them backstage and discovers that not only are they not actually responsible for the loop, but they don't even know it's going on. (Sunset is the only one that knows for some reason) Talking to them causes her to realize that friendship is magic and she should do what Pinkie wants to do instead. So she starts the day over again and everything is amazing. They eventually score some backstage passes with PostCrush and discover that they have the time loop device, which causes them to be imprisoned in the band's trailer. Pinkie breaks them out with her explosive sugar and they confront the group again. They explain that it's a big event for them and want the event to be perfect and have been repeating the event to get it right. Sunset explains that the fans just want to see them perform and that it doesn't have to be perfect. The loop ends and the duo perform with Sunset and Pinkie accompanying them

So the juicy stuff is that the Dazzlings return, Sunset totally finds a boyfriend, and Rarity has an RV

Last edited:
    Kotobukiya concept art full reveal, and Twilight statue
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    All of the Kotobukiya concept art has been revealed!

Dy3oiRUUcAE7UcC.jpg%2Blarge.jpg

376223189249949696.png
    Applejack has the shortest skirt?!

I'm glad one character has darker skin, but I would have liked at least Twilight too. But that's just my preference.

Anyway, they all look pretty great. Applejack's is weird for not resembling any of her main EQG outfits, but the top does look like an outfit she's worn at the farm in the shorts and specials. That came with jeans, though. And besides the fact that her wearing a skirt is weird in the first place, the frills are extra weird.

Rarity is (blush). None of the figurines are particularly sexualized, except for Rarity.

Glad Rainbow at least has pants (shorts). She has the same sort of look at her EQG self (first version), but it works better here.

The three we saw before still look great.

We also have the actual Twilight statue now.
    Dy3oYKQV4AArviw.jpg

Did we know about the details on the book before?

EDIT:
    large.jpeg

They are very funny.

EDIT: mirroredsea interview, he really does draw every day.

EDIT: UK comic about Silverstream that's simple, but does have a decent concept.

Last edited:
    "Teacher of the Month" Official Short
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Huh, I didn't think we'd get an actual explanation for how Fluttershy keeps becoming Teacher of the Month. This video has important CANON information, including the fact that it's apparently been 17 months since the school opened, and that no, the events of "Non-Compete Clause" didn't get Rainbow and AJ Teacher of the Month.

Beside that, it's just generally cute and charming, not particularly funny on its own. It is funny that this is literally just "if Non-Compete Clause didn't require the characters to be complete idiots", since this has Rainbow and AJ do the obvious and just ask Fluttershy how she keeps winning and then trying her suggestion.

Last edited:
    Rainbow Roadtrip special announced (through toy)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Toy Fair reveal of upcoming special (through tie-in toys): Rainbow Roadtrip
    Leading up to Toy Fair, Hasbro and their fan-favorite My Little Pony brand have big news: Spinning out of an upcoming animated special, My Little Pony: Rainbow Roadtrip, comes the My Little Pony Rainbow Tail Surprise Collection.

The world of My Little Pony is all about bold, bright colors – but in My Little Pony: Rainbow Roadtrip, the Mane 6 visit a town devoid of color! They must work together to bring the rainbow back to the town. The accompanying toys feature ponies with colorless tails! Kids can put the tales in water to magically bring the color back. The toys and animated special will premiere this summer.

When Twilight Sparkle and her friends arrive in Hope Hollow, they find the town and all its residents completely devoid of color – their dream vacation is starting to feel more like a nightmare! The Mane 6 will have to solve the mystery behind this washed-out world if they hope to bring the "rainbow" back to the Rainbow Festival and color back to the lives of their new friends.

I guess it's time to rewatch The Runaway Rainbow. Though honestly, I'm fine with a G3 style story for a special.
    It's funny that this all is to tie into one of those toys that change color in water.

my-little-pony-rainbow-tail-surprise-1158526.jpeg

Comicbook.com isn't all that reliable for news, but they have zero reason to lie about this, I think.

EDIT: Oh, and Happy Valentines Day from Tabitha St. Germain to Spike

Roses are red
    Spike's too young for Rarity
    Plus he's a dragon
    and that's species disparity #EndOf #MLP
    unknown.png

Last edited:
    EQG - Street Chic
  • Strider_Blaze

Oct 28, 2017
    Lancaster, CA
    New EQG short:

And some small LTTP reviews:

A Matter of Principals: Disproportionate much Discord?! I feel Starlight did not have to be in the wrong, but here we are. Though it didn't help he sent the Mane 6 on a wild goose chase and setting up Starlight like that. Plus practically scaring the crap out of the students, didn't help matters. I thought this a pretty low point in the season. Though I did genuinely find it funny when Discord had Cranky and Iron Will as teachers. And of course more Trixie as always!

The Hearth's Warming Club: Pretty interesting to know about the traditions of other creatures. Wasn't too bad personally, though I kind of question holding off a student during a holiday. Granted this school didn't technically get accredited did it? Gotta feel bad for poor Gallus; what he did was wrong, but I feel genuine sympathy for the guy.

Last edited:
    May 2019 comic solicitations
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    I thought Fluttershy and Sunset were cute in that short, but the punchline was really weak. This was the leaked short that Sylvee watched over a year ago, and he said it would have been more interesting for Sunset's character if she remained frustrated instead of suddenly becoming happy for Fluttershy, and I agree. Also, this had Mario music in the leak.

I can't help but wonder what Sunset's stream chat is like. And Sunset didn't make a white supremacy dog whistle. Unrealistic!

May comic solicitations

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #78
    Katie Cook & Andy Price (w) • Andy Price (a & CVR A) • Sara Richard (CVR B) • Brenda Hickey (1:10 RI CVR)
    MLP-Friendship-Magic-78.jpg

The thrilling conclusion to the "Cosmos" story arc is here! With the most powerful ponies in Equestria under Cosmos' control, do the remaining ponies stand a chance? And whose side will Discord take?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Bullet Point
    • Don't miss the end of what might be Katie Cook and Andy Price's finest MLP story yet!
    My Little Pony: Spirit of the Forest #1 (of 3)
    Ted Anderson (w) • Brenda Hickey (a & CVR A) • Tony Fleecs (CVR B) • Kate Sherron (1:10 RI CVR)
    MLP-Spirit-of-Forest-01.jpg

The Cutie Mark Crusaders are back! When Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle take a trip into the woods, they find a forest filled with trash! Just what could be causing this mess?! Looks like it's another mystery for our favorite fillies to solve—and one where not everything is as it seems...

Bullet Point
    • The Cutie Mark Crusaders return in this brand-new mini-series!
    Looks like Cosmos takes control of Celestia and Luna. I can't say I'm interested in that direction.

The new miniseries combines Ponyville Mysteries with an environmental story, so I probably won't check this out at all. Frankly, I'm shocked Ponyville Mysteries was successful enough to get another spinoff.

Season 9 trailer, coming April
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    This is a reeeeeeeeal nice Luna redesign.
    A lot of MagnaLuna's Luna art gives her a similar look, though not as a kirin.

Season 9 is coming in April! Trailer on Instagram.

EDIT:

This appears to reveal all the major events of the season premiere, as a heads up.
    Sombra returns to kidnap Flurry Heart (so his comics are definitely not canon now)
    The Elements of Harmony and the Tree of Harmony are destroyed
    It looks like the Mane Six discover the magic was inside of them all along and Rainbow Blast him anyway

Oddly, we don't see any of Grogar, who I could have sworn was confirmed to be in this.

It's funny how they're basically doing what the season 4 premiere tried to do with the Elements, but it will actually stick this time because it's the last season.

Last edited:
    Comic - Friendship is Magic #75
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    These videos are going back and covering old stuff now. Haven't watched this yet.

Sunset Shimmer = Upset Sugar
    Flash Sentry = Flush Central
    No Snips and Snails :(

The human stick figures are oddly adorable. This video was more of a straightforward summary than I expected, but it was good.

Friendship is Magic #75
    Let's get this out of the way: Celestia and Luna are corrupted by Cosmos before they even realize something bad is going on. Also Twilight.
    celestia_possessed.png

Now, if we view that aspect in a vacuum and not as a recurring trend, then we have a pretty interesting story set up here. Long ago, there was a being of chaos even worse than Discord, named Cosmos. He begged for help from the leaders of the other races, including Celestia and Luna, and they helped him seal her away. Then as extra insurance, he rewrote their memories to remove Cosmos and blame him for all the chaos. There is some timeline confusion, as the constellation that represented her being sealed away appeared "centuries ago" and then "one day" it disappeared. Discord is later depicted as being present and unstoned when the sealing stars fell from the sky, and he went out of his way to hide one. Discord should have been stone from about a thousand years ago all the way to at most a few years ago, so it's hard to fit this into the timeline in a way that makes sense. Anyway, Twilight comes across one of these stars at a market by chance (being bought and worn by Rarity), and her alicorn magic reawakens the sliver of Cosmos in that star and that subtly takes her over, sending everyone on a fetch quest for the other pieces. With Twilight, Celestia, and Luna corrupted, that leaves it up to Discord and the other ponies and Zecora to save the day.
    sci_fi_references.png

One thing to note is that Celestia and Luna are taken out much earlier in the story than, say, the Accord arc, which means it will play a much larger role in the story than just being a way to escalate tension before everything is solved. From upcoming synopses and covers, it does indeed appear we'll get focus on characters like Zecora before it ultimately comes down to Discord. Plus, it will be interesting to a story arc where Discord is afraid of the villain.

It was a bit annoying that no one noticed that Twilight was acting oddly, but Applejack did eventually notice, and this was while Cosmos Twilight was acting somewhat subtly, so good on Applejack.

Onto the art, I'd like to say it's up to Andy Price's usual standard, and it mostly is, but much of the first part had clearly rushed art. Given the fact that there's a Part 2 title screen and a brief recap halfway through, clearly this was intended to be two issues instead of a single double-length one. If that was a late change, that would explain why some of the art is incomplete. Still, there are fun visual gags and good expressions. Cosmos's chaos in particular is handled wonderfully, and with a different tone than Discord's.
    true_chaos.png

You know, this character being Eris would have made a lot more sense than the character in Nightmare Knights. I'm still not convinced NK Erin is really a spirit of chaos.

Silver Quill's review reminds me, this comic introduces the idea that every ruler we've seen so far is over a thousand years old, from Queen Novo to King Aspen to that cat leader from the Movie prequel comics. Odd, but sure, whatever.

Looking at history, there's a pretty good likelihood of this story falling apart at the very end, but still, this currently has potential.

~~~

Russian Battle Bots "Team Unicorn" Dominating With Pinkie Pie the Pony Bot

(at 6:25)

3.JPG

2.JPG

Season 9 starting April 6, trailer 2
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017

Lol it skipped most of the show and went to the winner's circle. Cranky's dog Somehow won.

Aw, I was hoping for some wacky pet competitions.

But the real story is 🐢 X 🐩. Also Apple Bloom somehow screwing up with Winona.

Season 9 premiering April 6, which is sooner than I expected. Are we really going to get the EQG cruise special before this?

There's also a new trailer, but it's HUGE spoilers. Big enough that I'll hide the embed.

Oh damn, good thing I made that bingo card before watching the trailer. I can already mark stuff off, including Celestia leaving for her home planet.

Comic - Nightmare Knights #5 (FINAL)
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Nightmare Knights #5 (FINAL)
    Well, it ended. It's not a bad ending, but it's largely unremarkable. Daybreaker betrays Eris and frees everyone, so they fight Eris. It isn't enough, but it turns out Capper never really joined Eris and had swiped the orb with Luna's magic. With Luna's magic restored, they overpower Eris. The only real twist is that Daybreaker never reverts back to Celestia and promptly kicks everyone out of the dimension she now rules. Luna seems surprisingly OK with this, but she also decides to never tell her Celestia she did any of this.
    eris_beg.png

Art remains as good as it had been throughout the series.
    was_nightmare_moon.png

Characterwise, only Capper really had a chance to shine, with his sleight of hand saving the day. Eris actually demonstrated some chaos magic for once, though she's pretty boring compared to Discord and Cosmos (from the newest main series issue), and we got a view of her personality beyond "villain" when she was curious about Capper's tricks.
    nice_trick.png

I wish this series decided to end in a different way than "everyone comes together to fight the villain". As is, it's a pretty generic ending that doesn't make good use of the characters.

Silver Quill's review suggests a final confrontation where the orb with Luna's powers bounces from villain to villain, which would have been a lot of fun. I hadn't noticed or didn't remember that Capper swiped the fake orb back in issue #3.

~~~

A bit of art.

1.Apple Family Portrait | Commission by Scarlet-Spectrum on DeviantArt
    2.Cadence by CanisRettMajoris on DeviantArt - Cadance
    3.A happy princess by CanisRettMajoris on DeviantArt - Twilight X Tempest
    4.Pear Maid by Ardail on DeviantArt - Pear Butter / Buttercup
    5.Starlight and Trixie in hoodies and socks by ardail
    medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

medium.jpeg

1.Twilight Sparkle 3 11 2019 by tohupo on DeviantArt
    2.:COMM: Flutters Referee by LupiArts on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    3.Comm: Princess Twily by LiaAqila on DeviantArt - Twilight
    4.【my_little_pony】"Fluttershy and Sunset Shimmer" / Illustration by "Rockset" [pixiv]
    5.Outlaw by Kaleido-Art on DeviantArt - Applejack
    medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

Season 9 episode 3-5 synopses
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    I didn't post these episode synopses before, since the source wasn't confirmed and the first two episodes cover stuff we already saw in the trailer or knew about, but this third episode is brand new and no one seems to be speaking out against the site. You can progress episodes just by incrementing the number at the end.

Episode 3 is SPOILERS, but the others seem fine. Regardless, all are in spoiler tags. Only episode 3 will have the title hidden too. I'll include my thoughts in the spoiler tags.

Uprooted
    The Young Six respond to a magical summons from the Tree of Harmony, only to learn it has been destroyed.

Looks like the Tree is wrecked in the premiere and then that scene of Harmony Sparkle talking to the Student Six from the trailer comes from this episode. I suppose the Mane Six never did find out about her, so it makes sense they wouldn't bring up the Tree being destroyed to the Student Six yet. I hope Twilight meets Harmony Sparkle before the end.

904. Twilight's Seven (Episode 200)
    Twilight and Shining Armor pit their wits against each other to settle a long-standing sibling rivalry, but they soon discover they are not the only competitors.

It looks like this might be about every sibling fighting each other. For once Rainbow gets to sleep this competition out.

905. The Point of No Return
    Twilight realizes she never returned a book to the Canterlot Library and may have caused her favorite librarian to lose her job.

At first I thought this might be about Twilight's time in Canterlot as a filly, but someone suggested this could be about Moondancer, and yeah, it probably is. It'll be nice to see her again. And who knows, we might get more about Twilight's Canterlot life, which we really don't know enough about.

Comic - Friendship is Magic #76
  • OP
    OP
    SigmasonicX

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
    Friendship is Magic #76
    Back before the time of "Keep Calm and Flutter On", it was widely accepted that Discord was pure irredeemably evil. After all, "The Return of Harmony" had that stained glass window of him holding ponies above a fire while you heard screaming. Then he was redeemed. There was a fair amount of grumbling about this mainly because of that stained glass window, even though nothing he did in the episode proper really came close to that. As it turns out, this comic fully retcons that by revealing that it was Cosmos who was going around roasting ponies over an open fire. And previous issue, we saw that Discord rewrote everyone's memories so they thought he was the one doing that. Ultimately, I'm not opposed to this, since that didn't quite fit in with Discord's character, though he was still willing to throw Tree Hugger into a different dimension. I did think Discord going out of his way to rescue the ponies that Cosmos was tormenting was a bit much, though.

discord_rescue_orphans.png

The scenes of the groups in Klugetown and Griffonstone were fun, and I liked Capper's role for much of the story. I especially liked the scene where it's revealed the contest trophy is always stolen, we see Capper stole it, and Pinkie and Big Mac are fine with it.

meet_capper.png

However, I think it was a huge mistake to have all of them get captured, because it makes this issue feel pointless. In particular, all the set up of Capper's skills, only for him to be captured and turned into a kitten. That said, the fight with the princesses was fun.

king_of_the_hill_reference.png

Silver Quill's review points out a ladybug motif with Cosmos. Interesting. I wonder if it will lead to anything.

~~~

Since the weekday stream is on Thursday now, I decided to split up stream announcements. The Thursday stream is announced today, and the Sunday stream is announced on Saturday; this will help for episode streams a lot.

Anyway, on Thursday, we're watching the following:
    1. Tiny Toons Spring Break Special
    2. Haruhi - Endless Eight part 5
    3. Haruhi - Endless Eight part 8

And The Promised Neverland 11 will be right before that.

The Tiny Toons special is NOT the Summer Vacation special that many are familiar with. This was produced in 1994, the same year as that Night Ghoulery special, and like that, not many even knew this existed. This was brought up to air with the Equestria Girls cruise special, but someone who was interested in this may not be here for the EQG stream. And my feeling is that we don't want two different 45 minute specials that stream.

There's a reason why we're jumping around in the Endless Eight story of Haruhi. Also, this should be fine for first time viewers, I think.

~~~

Art dump
    1.Coco Pommel and Raripunk Rarity go to a mosh pit by flutterthrash
    2.Quick Sketch by Miokomata on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    3.Light by Miokomata on DeviantArt - Fluttershy
    4.Night Shy (collab) by Alissa1010 and Miokomata on DeviantArt - Fluttershy, the fur is interesting
    5.rarijack 3 19 2019 by tohupo on DeviantArt - Rarity X Applejack
    medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.jpeg

1.T46 by Hierozaki on DeviantArt - Celestia and Twilight
    2.+Black roses+ by Kitten-in-the-jar on DeviantArt - Inky Rose (from "Honest Apple")
    3.Twilight and a griffon OC by jumblehorse - I usually don't post art with OCs, but that's a cute Twi
    4.Marble Pie by jumblehorse
    5.Pony Twilight hugging Pony SciTwi by luciferamon and tingsan
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

medium.png

1.Daisy, Lily, and Rose by luciferamon
    2.MLP:YL - Not So Friendly by InuHoshi-to-DarkPen on DeviantArt - Shining Armor, Flurry Heart, and Blueblood
    3.Commission172 by AiriniBlock on DeviantArt - Vinyl Scratch
    4.What's next on the list? by Deraniel on DeviantArt - Twilight and Spike
    5.Commission: Sword Practice by DANMAKUMAN on DeviantArt - SciTwi with sword
    medium.png

medium.png

medium.jpeg

medium.png

medium.png

And decent piano medley.