• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DOA

Oct 26, 2017
I may be a bit picky here, but I waited on 2 vouchers, to see if anything good will come out, until the end, but today I came to use my vouchers, and they're gone 😠
I thought I bought them on the 31st of July, but after looking at the purchase history, I saw that I bought them on the 30th instead.

I thought maybe they'll send a reminder that my vouchers are gonna be expired soon, but nope.

maybe it's just me, but come on nintendo, you're sending me spam about games and stuff that are sale, at least send an email telling me that my vouchers are gonna expire

UPDATE:
thank you all for the replies. i've called their support, and it help a lot :)
the guy there extended my vouchers for another week, and using my Nintendo Switch, I was able to redeem them both (bought Xenoblade Chronicles: definitive edition, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2)
again thank you all for encouraging me to try and call their support

Last edited:

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
That sucks, OP. Sorry to hear that.

It would be a decent thing to do to send reminders about expiring vouchers, but I guess maybe they might be hoping that people forget about them just a little bit?

Mekanos

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 17, 2018
The whole handling of the voucher system was really bad. It's a mess. Sucks though, that must feel bad.

Deleted member 12186

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo is pretty backwards to be honest. I can't take them seriously when compared to the competition on multiple fronts.

Dec 13, 2017
keikaku.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
might be worth contacting support, they may be able to help you out.

100% sucks that they never sent out any reminders though.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to hear that. The vouchers having an expiration date of a year was pretty ridiculous from the get go, let alone before the year nintendo didn't even announce anything.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'd call customer support and see if they can hook you up. That's a lot of money wasted. I don't know why you wanted to wait until the very last minute though. You say you wanted to see if anything good would come out but a magical $60 Nintendo game wasn't going to suddenly drop to use vouchers on this week. What if your internet went out for a day?

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Nintendo. They are so deliberately fucking backwards in so many bizarre ways. Sorry you got screwed, OP. The existance of an expiration date was 100% horseshit in the first place.

Zool

Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo knew they didn't have much games this year so they started to sell vouchers last year. Smart guys there....

jkk411

Jul 22, 2018
Call them. The closer you call relative to the expiration date the more likely they might help you get them back.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo knew they didn't have much games this year so they started to sell vouchers last year. Smart guys there....
Nintendo's still offering the vouchers in Japan and Europe. It's only in the Americas where they restricted the sale of the vouchers for some reason.

While it's silly that the vouchers expire after only a year in the first place, it's at least is tolerable in Europe and Japan because you aren't enticed to stockpile these vouchers - there's never a reason to buy more than a pair of vouchers if there aren't more than two game on sale already that you want to have. By limiting the availability in the US NoA enticed people to gamble on how many interesting games will come out in a year's time and that's just shit. Likely wasn't intended either and is more a product of not thinking it through, but still shit.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
In America, vouchers became a bizarre exercise in gambling and game speculation instead of a normal member loyalty product. I hope that if they come back, it isn't time-limited, or if it is that people who were burned know better than to buy into it.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how is nintendo able to have expiration days on these vouchers? aren't there laws saying companies can't put expiration dates on gift card you buy?

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Yikes, sorry OP. You fell for the expiration/subscriber trap like many of us probably had.
Happens even to the best of us.

Astraea

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Insane there's even an expiry. Nintendo basically got free money here.
Hope they refund you since you never used them. Refund should be automatic after they expire.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The vouchers were always super shitty. You're barely saving any money, you're paying far in advance if you plan on holding them for a while, and they expire. Crazy that Nintendo seriously tried to pass them off as some great deal.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The vouchers were always super shitty. You're barely saving any money, you're paying far in advance if you plan on holding them for a while, and they expire. Crazy that Nintendo seriously tried to pass them off as some great deal.
They were advantageous if you already knew exactly what you were spending them on. Barely.

Otherwise, bad fucking money.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe in the US? In the U.K. you're saving a good £20-£25. £6 - £15

Also you could use your Eshop coins to get a further discount on them. They're a great deal.

Last edited:

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The vouchers were amazing If you could get deals on Eshop credit, but also awful because an expiration date at all is insane for such expensive vouchers.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Sometimes you should take responsibility for your own mistakes. You had 1 year to act.

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Maybe in the US? In the U.K. you're saving a good £20-£25.

Also you could use your Eshop coins to get a further discount on them. They're a great deal.
Same thing here in Spain. Games are normally 60€, two of them being 120€, compared to the 100€ that two vouchers cost, you're saving quite a bit of money. That's without taking into account the coins you are also getting.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like, much like gift card/Groupon value expiration led to numerous lawsuits, that voucher expiration could be equally legally contentious. Companies can't just take your money, promise you something then give you nothing in return after a select time period.

Nov 4, 2017
Vouchers are also excellent value in Australia. Brings games down to 67.5 dollaridoos, compared to 80-90 dollaridoos. For digital on a Nintendo platform, it's more like 90 dollaridon'ts, AMIRITE??

I would only get the vouchers if I had two games in mind to buy in quick succession due to the crappy time limit (also I doubt that would hold up here if put to the ACCC).

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
It would have been nice if they sent out a reminder but why would you wait until the last minute to use them? And if you're waiting until the last minute you should at least double check when exactly they expire...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
...You knowingly waited until the last second to use vouchers, expecting to get a warning? A new game wasn't going to suddenly drop in their final weeks.

Sorry for the loss, OP, but let this be a lesson. Worth trying CS, but I doubt they'll help in this instance.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Call support. They've always been generous when I've had stuff going on, so it's worth a shot.

They should absolutely send a reminder, it's the least they could do. But they were also upfront about the vouchers lasting one year, and you clearly remembered they were expiring at the end of July. They weren't about to shadow drop anything. What were you waiting on?

Saving $10 per title was almost in GCU territory for a brand new title, and people flipped their lids when Best Buy ended that. That $20 is a lot of money to a lot of people. Plus, if you ever found deals on eshop credit then you save more. I bought $100 of credit for $90 from Costco, effectively netting me Fire Emblem and Link's Awakening for $45 apiece. The money I saved wound up paying for the Fire Emblem DLC, plus the $5 I got in gold points paid for one of the indies on my machine.

In what world is that not a good deal lol

Last edited:

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Do they still do vouchers for North America?
Vouchers are still a thing in Japan and it makes it much cheaper to buy games.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Support will probably help you if you call today, though you'll probably be screwed if you call tomorrow after all of them expire. I can understand having 1 left over, but 2?

dom

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If they don't end up refunding the money that was paid, I smell a lawsuit.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
They were just meant to be "Buy 2 games, get a discount". If people were already all digital there was no reason not to buy them. The idea wasn't for people to bulk buy them to use on unannounced games over the next 12 months like the OP here.