• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive me for making a slight rant-thread but I'm almost at my wits end.

I always heard that the "Windows Store was a steaming pile of junk" but I myself never had too many problems with it, the only two being it not recognizing my secondary game HDD and having to download Forza Horizon 3 twice at release. Who knew that something as simple as logging out of your Windows Store Account and then back in later could cause massive problems? I mean it's a very basic functionality that Sony, Nintendo, Apple and Google get right, it's just logging out and logging in right, there's not much that can go south! Well that's wrong!

It all started yesterday when a friend who bought the Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate Edition was unable to get his Dualshock 4 working properly with the game. After two hours of calling and troubleshooting, DS4Windows and GloSC we finally found the solution, it was the Windows Game Bar that somehow always disrupted the inputs. After we disabled that he could play fine. I watch him play on stream and then he said too bad that he won't be able to play Saturday and Sunday because he will be away with his family. At this point I was thinking: "Hey would you mind if I play a bit with your account while you are away?" thinking I could get a headstart for Tuesday when I get my own copy.

We google a bit around trying to see if Microsoft has something like "Family Share" on Steam. Sure enough we find out that there's a "Family" option and he adds me as family member but then we realize the family thing is useless for multiple devices. At this point he said screw it and gives me his Microsoft Login data. I start the Windows Store, log out of my account, log into his, go to Library and click Install on Forza Horizon 4 Ultimate. Three hours and 64gb later FH4 is installed and I just wanted to launch it once to see if it's working. We look up what the restrictions are and read:

- One Microsoft account can be linked to up to 10 devices
- An application may not run twice on different devices

Okay he shuts down the game for a minute, I start it on my end still logged into his account and nothing. I see the splash-screen and the game closes immidiately. Knowing this behavior already I download a free app thinking this would fix the issue but it didn't. I then try to reset the FH4 App and reboot my PC. Now the game had a exclamation-mark in the start menu and Windows said the game cannot be started and has to be reinstalled. Fine I thought let's download the 64gb all over again!

While my friend still can play fine, fast forward the game still wouldn't launch on my end after redownloading although there is no error message this time, just a splash-screen crash. At this point I fear the worst and try something else. I log out of his store account and log back into mine, trying to launch my own copy of Forza Horizon 3 which I was still playing earlier this week. Sure enough FH3 also won't launch anymore with a splash-screen crash. I reboot my PC, reset the app, try a ton of fixes I find online, including:

- Signing in to Windows with a Microsoft Account
- Running wsreset.exe
- Relogging into the XBOX App
- Trying the XBOX Beta App
- Trying a Windows Powershell Command that disables dev-mode for apps
- Downloading a free app (I tried Asphalt 9 which works fine and connects to the XBOX Services just fine too)
- Making sure all Windows and XBOX Services are enabled

And as of this morning nothing, my own copy of Forza Horizon 3 simply won't launch anymore. Looking into the Windows Eventviewer the error that causes the game to not work is "A DCOM Server could not be launched: Error 5." Googling that shows a ton of different people with the same error, also with Sea of Thieves and Forza 7 but no definitive solution. Right now I'm redownloading Forza Horizon 3 and removed myself of my friends Family system hoping that might fix it. But yeah at this point I don't even care for playing my friends copy of FH4 I just fear that come Tuesday when I get my own copy I won't be able to play it either. And I'm not reinstalling Windows because it broke itself while handling basic functionality, logging out and in to different accounts.

So yeah now I know while people really don't like the Windows Store.

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
Aaahhh... Windows Store...

KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Also, sorry to hear that OP. Hopefully, your problem gets fixed.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
Anyway the verification works when you log into the store, not the Xbox app.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Do you have Afterburner/similar running on start up? Known issues with FH4, at least (source: me and many others having the splash crash).

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Aaahhh... Windows Store...

KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Also, sorry to hear that OP. Hopefully, your problem gets fixed.

Seriously! And thanks!

It's very possible FH4 broke because you had RTSS running

Anyway the verification works when you log into the store, not the Xbox app.

Do you have Afterburner/similar running on start up? Known issues with FH4, at least (source: me and many others having the splash crash).

Ah okay I didn't think of that because the FH4 Demo was running fine with RTSS but right now I won't even dare logging in to his account and trying FH4 again, I just want to get my own copy of FH3 working again :/

D65

Oct 26, 2017
The full game doesn't work with RTSS for sure. Even tho it worked with the demo.

dreamcast

Oct 27, 2017
I had a similar issue a while back. I believe with ReCore.

Basically, when the game is getting to the "login" phase of the game it crashes. I believe I fixed the issue by logging out of the Windows Store and Xbox App. Also, I went to Settings>Accounts and clicked "Sign in with a local account instead". After doing that I then went back into Settings>Accounts and re-enabled using by Microsoft account (although you may be able to skip this step). Then I opened the game and when it got to the point where it checks into Xbox Live the window popped up to enter my Microsoft account credentials and all was good.

Not sure if you've tried those exact steps or not, or that this will even work for you, but hopefully you get things running. Let me know.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The way windows is trying to holistically link a Microsoft account to so many functions and integrate it really deeply is such, such a horror show

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
The Windows Store is a broken mess. Even three years since the release of RotTR, Microsoft still wasn't able to fix some of the technical issues. It's GFWL all over again, including it's console-like nature.

The best solution is to vote with your wallet against this mess, and buy your PC games in a competent store/ecosystem.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The full game doesn't work with RTSS for sure. Even tho it worked with the demo.

Okay good to know so I have one thing to rule out on Tuesday, thanks!

I had a similar issue a while back. I believe with ReCore.

Basically, when the game is getting to the "login" phase of the game it crashes. I believe I fixed the issue by logging out of the Windows Store and Xbox App. Also, I went to Settings>Accounts and clicked "Sign in with a local account instead". After doing that I then went back into Settings>Accounts and re-enabled using by Microsoft account (although you may be able to skip this step). Then I opened the game and when it got to the point where it checks into Xbox Live the window popped up to enter my Microsoft account credentials and all was good.

Not sure if you've tried those exact steps or not, or that this will even work for you, but hopefully you get things running. Let me know.

Alright thanks, I will try this when I'm back home in a few hours, hopefully it works!

The way windows is trying to holistically link a Microsoft account to so many functions and integrate it really deeply is such, such a horror show

Yeah, I mean all I basically wanted to do is borrowing a game from a friend while he is on vacation and it breaks half my OS.

The Windows Store is a broken mess. Even three years since the release of RotTR, Microsoft still wasn't able to fix some of the technical issues. It's GFWL all over again, including it's console-like nature.

The best solution is to vote with your wallet against this mess, and buy your PC games in a competent store/ecosystem.

I agree but it's such a shame that the Forza Horizon series is not available anywhere else, it's literally the only Microsoft franchise I care about. You know I'll say it, GFWL never gave me _this much_ trouble.

UPDATE: FH3 works again, the download literally finished as I was about to head out so I quickly ran to my PC and pressed "Play" and it booted fine. So I "just" had to download 55gb again, thank god I have no data-cap. I might try FH4 again when I come back home tonight, not sure.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Why don't you just try the RTSS solution we've mentioned is the most likely cause for the crash?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I'd probably sign in as him into an actual windows profile. There are various different places that the sign in is used..

As for your account, are you signed into windows with your own microsoft account or is it set as a local account? I think that this can cause problems like this

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
I was thinking about registering my Mum's new PC this week with my Microsoft Account, so my nephew can play FH4 as well, but I decided I wasn't going to risk it as she was moaning about getting a new one as her's is over 9 years and my old 7 year old rig my nephew uses went kaput (new PSU) but my Dad wanted to change it and he was bored. He read online about the processer being overclocked which it was but decided to reset the BIOS without no knowing what it did..

I have never had any problems with my the Microsoft store, but I have never logged out, and only use very occassionaly.

TailorDKS

Apr 18, 2018
Yeah, Sounds like an thing that comes from Microsoft.
I get annoyed with Windows more and more, but there is no alternative for me - same with Xbox store.
But they make money with it and as long as it comes they dont have to change a bit...

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
I'd probably sign in as him into an actual windows profile. There are various different places that the sign in is used..

As for your account, are you signed into windows with your own microsoft account or is it set as a local account? I think that this can cause problems like this

I did just that and low and behold it changed absolutely nothing. What's even funnier is when I'm inside his user account non of the UWP apps installed on my PC show even up aside from the standard apps. If I click on Forza Horizon 4's "Install" button it asks for 64gb again. Once I switch back to my account I see it as installed but I can't start it as before. My own account is a local account, I switched to a Microsoft login temporarily but that didn't change a thing.

I was thinking about registering my Mum's new PC this week with my Microsoft Account, so my nephew can play FH4 as well, but I decided I wasn't going to risk it as she was moaning about getting a new one as her's is over 9 years and my old 7 year old rig my nephew uses went kaput (new PSU) but my Dad wanted to change it and he was bored. He read online about the processer being overclocked which it was but decided to reset the BIOS without no knowing what it did..

I have never had any problems with my the Microsoft store, but I have never logged out, and only use very occassionaly.

Yikes that doesn't sound like a nice situation I'm sorry to here of your troubles. And really be glad you avoided that scenario with the Windows Store, it's a mess.

Yeah, Sounds like an thing that comes from Microsoft.
I get annoyed with Windows more and more, but there is no alternative for me - same with Xbox store.
But they make money with it and as long as it comes they dont have to change a bit...

Yeah sadly, I shudder how the XBOX One would have went if they used the original vision, it would have likely been a usability nightmare.

And I'll give up now. Forza Horizon 4 won't boot, not even when I'm signed into my friends account as an actual Windows account. I managed to get it installed under the new account by initiating the download onto the same drive it was already installed to, Windows found the files and showed "Play" but even then the game just closes at the splash screen. I'll just wait till Monday midnight for my own copy. I understand DRM and all that but if I can't even borrow a game with half of Windows breaking then wow.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I did just that and low and behold it changed absolutely nothing. What's even funnier is when I'm inside his user account non of the UWP apps installed on my PC show even up aside from the standard apps. If I click on Forza Horizon 4's "Install" button it asks for 64gb again. Once I switch back to my account I see it as installed but I can't start it as before. My own account is a local account, I switched to a Microsoft login temporarily but that didn't change a thing. .

If you clicked download again, it will look like it's downloading, but it will just do afew meg and re-license the file. In theory

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
If you clicked download again, it will look like it's downloading, but it will just do afew meg and re-license the file. In theory

Yeah that's what it did under his account in the end, funny thing is, it would still not start. I made sure Afterburner and RTSS were off too.

Two positives, my Forza Horizon 3 install didn't break this time and the whole ordeal actually fixed one issue I had with the Windows Store, my second game HDD now shows up as an install location! :D

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
9/10 it's RTSS once you get the account stuff settled

Mine would show the splash screen then crash if afterburner was open. I installed Gpu Tweak II instead

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I was trying to get my own copy of FH THREE to work again, I might try my friends copy of FH4 again when I'm back home tonight but I'm afraid it will break FH3 again.

Why not just make a new account on your PC and use that one to sign into the Store? That way you could've avoided signing-in/out and like disassociating your downloaded game and you don't have to worry about redownloading anything else later.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
As UX guy it's pretty amazing how in 2018 these game launchers are still giving dev error codes only on crashes.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
remember steam had issues 15 years ago, so you're not allowed to complain too much
Steam is not the company who dictates everything on the OS and they are a smaller company than MS, so it's understandable.
Are you ignoring the Windows Store advantage of having access to the OS software engineers and truckload of money? Don't forget nothing breaks that badly in XBox.

OP
OP
Skyfireblaze

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
9/10 it's RTSS once you get the account stuff settled

Mine would show the splash screen then crash if afterburner was open. I installed Gpu Tweak II instead

It 100% wasn't Afterburner under the new user-account, I even checked in the Task Manager of both active accounts and it wasn't there.

Why not just make a new account on your PC and use that one to sign into the Store? That way you could've avoided signing-in/out and like disassociating your downloaded game and you don't have to worry about redownloading anything else later.

Yeah initially I forgot you can even do that but when I tried it the second time just as you said it still wouldn't work.

remember steam had issues 15 years ago, so you're not allowed to complain too much

As UX guy it's pretty amazing how in 2018 these game launchers are still giving dev error codes only on crashes.

You know I wouldn't even mind issues here and there but as Mechaplum says Steam always gave you some kind of errors to work with. UWP apps though don't, they simply close without any hint as to why. It can be licensing errors, it can be due to external tools like Afterburner, it could be due to the XBOX App not functioning correctly. You have to dig though the Windows event log to get anything, in my case it was "A DCOM server couldn't be started: Error 5" Googling that links you to 1000 different problems with no cohesion what this error really means.

EDIT: I missed the /s but yeah, even in its worst days Steam was never this level of cryptic :P

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
The fact that Forza Horizon 4 crashes if you're using one of the most popular tools among PC gamers, proves how out of touch Microsoft is with PC gaming. They really don't care.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't play the pc demo yesterday, eventhough it was working fine a few days ago. I kept getting a message saying that the game could not sign into xbox live with my profile. What's odd is other games like Gears 4 worked just fine. I had to wait a while until it worked again. Might be related?

Krysuk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In case it isn't known

Error 5 is access denied - this is a permissions issue

Windows Store download folder is encrypted - probably this got messed up when you downloaded the FH4, perhaps there are some common code/game parts within the structure (guessing here) that got reset with the permissions of your mates account

Haven't read the rest of the thread fully so perhaps you have already tried this, but I'd uninstall FH3, change the default application save location in windows 10 and then goto the store and download your FH3 to that new location

Edit: Read the rest of your updates and FH3 is working again, I'd still suggest that if you use a different MS account and download store content that you change the default app storage location for the other account - then when back under your logon switch the default back to where your files are

It will keep the encrypted folders separate and only encrypted to the specific MS ID

Nov 12, 2017

No I prefeer to buy games like Forza horizon 4 on PC (a masterpiece PC game) and make it loud and clear that they have to fix the store
Boycotting incredibly good games is such an idiocy

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
No I prefeer to buy games like Forza horizon 4 on PC (a masterpiece good PC game) and make it loud and clear that they have to fix the store
Boycotting incredibly good games is such an idiocy

I strongly disagree. Voting with your wallet against something you don't like is common sense to me. It's the reason why Xbox Live is free on PC but paid on console for example.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
It's Microsoft's fault you can't play your friend's game for free? There is a game sharing function it's the "play games offline" that sets that device as the "home" device similar to xbox game sharing. Switching accounts gets messy because a lot of services and apps are tied to it, be sure to submit your feedback to Microsoft so they can fix it.

Nov 12, 2017
I strongly disagree. Voting with your wallet against something you don't like is common sense to me. It's the reason why Xbox Live is free on PC but paid on console for example.
I love those games.ms published in their store...I want also that the store get better
I don't want they stop with the store ..I want they improve it
So Buy the games so and let know Ms everyday that they need to fix the store

I play games not stores

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds to me like with running your 'google' fix tutorials and powershell commands you may have screwed something!

Try creating a new local profile and signing in and see if that works, if so you know then it's the profile which is the issue

Grigorig

Oct 30, 2017
I bought like one game from the Windows store and it was awful, broken voice chat, random logouts, people on my friends list were able to just join my single player game without asking me.. just straight up garbage.

k0decraft

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I like my UWP games, I agree the store can be real iffy at times. Everything from the downloads to not being able to launch certain titles when other titles are working.

I know the Win10 store can get hung up on Cache issues. This has been my biggest problem. If it's stuck on a cahce within the system thingsnwomt launch properly.

Of course Microsoft knows about its.issues. Hopefully a rehaul is in the works, because I.enjoy PC performance with Xbox Live capabilities.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Well, I fixed my download speeds by changing that setting someone mentioned in here. 200 Mpbs is fine I guess.

Yay for me.

Nov 12, 2017
So you just pirate everything?
:) naaa..dont even one

what I want to say is:
there are games (games that we go to pay like any other game) that you can buy on steam that are officially released on linux, at the same time we know that gaming on linux is a continuous encounter with problems of any kind and type. practically and things work as they should just 50% of the time or even less.
But strangely, also if those games cost the same money, I do not see anyone
complain every two days because they have problems ....because...you know what? playing on pc has always been a continuous accepting of the fact that sometimes you have to "fix" some problems.
I do not see anyone wanting to boycott those who publish the games for linux and I do not see anyone cry because steam has released a game for linux that after give a user various problems with his pc personal configuration
Durante and his "unofficial officers" fix are one of the most striking examples of how things sometimes go in the PC world

I do not speak directly of the op but I wonder if those who have trouble fixing themselves the problems (many times creators themselves, given the nature of the windows operating system that leaves almost the total freedom of maneuver to the user) should leave the PC and dedicate themselves to console gaming, where honestly things are much simpler.

The most absurd thing is that the same people who often complain that on pc things can not go as expected, are then the same that are totally against uwp and a way to see the gaming on pc in a very simplified way for the user (to the detriment certainly of a part of his freedom to maneuver)

I sincerely believe that the two can live together ... the simplicity and security of uwp and the freest w32

obviously this is independent of the fact that microsoft has to fix the problems related to its store.

I love playanywhere and I love the fact that many games previously relegated to the world of consoles are finally coming on PC (most likely we will be able to play the next halo on pc !!!!!) instead of boycotting what Microsoft is doing ... ... we should support them from both sides and ask them to improve things that are not right. A bit like what happened with the xbox ... and look at what they did.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I like my UWP games, I agree the store can be real iffy at times. Everything from the downloads to not being able to launch certain titles when other titles are working.

I know the Win10 store can get hung up on Cache issues. This has been my biggest problem. If it's stuck on a cahce within the system thingsnwomt launch properly.

Of course Microsoft knows about its.issues. Hopefully a rehaul is in the works, because I.enjoy PC performance with Xbox Live capabilities.

Indeed, me too.
Some of this type of stuff is surely to be expected on a platform that has so many variables and a huge degree of openness.
I know that I expect all kinds of problems playing PC games in general, whether that's down to background processes, driver instability or hotfixes that cause issues.
I've grown up with Windows PC's and it's quite normal that I've had to do in-place installations, twiddle with permissions, head to the command prompt to fix even minor issues. It's thickened my skin for tolerance of problems.

If you aren't prepared for that experience, is PC gaming really the best place for you?

The most absurd thing is that the same people who often complain that on pc things can not go as expected, are then the same that are totally against uwp and a way to see the gaming on pc in a very simplified way for the user (to the detriment certainly of a part of his freedom to maneuver.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that find's the sentiment a bit bizarre.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love those games.ms published in their store...I want also that the store get better
I don't want they stop with the store ..I want they improve it
So Buy the games so and let know Ms everyday that they need to fix the store

I play games not stores

I'd buy into this of it had improvrd more in the 2 years of games with Quantum Break, or the 6 years of Windows 8. But they haven't and we're still in this mess.

Deleted member 38397

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 15, 2018
I've grown up with Windows PC's and it's quite normal that I've had to do in-place installations, twiddle with permissions, head to the command prompt to fix even minor issues. It's thickened my skin for tolerance of problems.

If you aren't prepared for that experience, is PC gaming really the best place for you?

So have I but now I'm older, my patience for such things is running out. I'm even considering just getting a Mac now that all the AAA ports coming along will be using Metal for improved performance. And I'm already in the PS5 camp to supplement that.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I'd buy into this of it had improvrd more in the 2 years of games with Quantum Break, or the 6 years of Windows 8. But they haven't and we're still in this mess.

The store has improved quite a bit since then to be honest. Just read the articles about the store from 2015/2016 and compare them to the current situation.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Indeed, me too.
Some of this type of stuff is surely to be expected on a platform that has so many variables and a huge degree of openness.
I know that I expect all kinds of problems playing PC games in general, whether that's down to background processes, driver instability or hotfixes that cause issues.

I've never had to reformat my computer to get games working from Steam, uPlay, Origin or GOG.

And I do mean reformat. Even Windows 10 reset or restore features just reinstalled Windows with the same issues. And this happened twice.

That is well beyond "what is top be expected", especially when that open platform software is all the same company making the games, making the OS and making the store.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
My PC can no longer play Play Anywhere titles because I deleted that shit of a store and never looked back.