• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Hi, so my PS4 Pro is either possessed or being remotely controlled by a leprechaun or some stuff. Anyway, it turns on by itself, without me interacting with it or the controller. When I turn it off, it turns on again right after.

The only way to prevent this from happening again would be to pull the plug, but it kind of pisses me off, especially if I have to do that every time I want to play games. Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do to fix it? Do I need to call the ghostbusters? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
Might be the capacitive touch on the front if you have one of the first models of PS4 (without physical power and eject buttons). I had an early PS4 that did this- I sold it on craigslist when the PS4 pro came out, newer systems don't have this issue as they changed from capacitive touch to physical buttons.

OP
OP
Hanbei

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Do you have HDMI-CEC enabled?
I don't, for the simple reason I have no idea what that is.

Does it eject the game disc?
No, the game disc stays inside.

Might be the capacitive touch on the front if you have one of the first models of PS4 (without physical power and eject buttons). I had an early PS4 that did this- I sold it on craigslist when the PS4 pro came out, newer systems don't have this issue as they changed from capacitive touch to physical buttons.
Like I said in OP, it's a PS4 Pro.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
See if Enable HDMI Device Link is checked in settings/system, disable it if so.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Check to see if remote play is on. Iirc the PS4 emits an open wifi signal for the Vita to access and when someone connects to it the console turns on. If not that, then you might have ghosts ミ●﹏☉ミ

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe a Bluetooth tv remote is triggering it. My Samsung tv remote does this sometimes, and I have no clue how to unpair it.

OP
OP
Hanbei

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe a Bluetooth tv remote is triggering it. My Samsung tv remote does this sometimes, and I have no clue how to unpair it.
I just checked, the only Bluetooth device that is connected to my PS4 is my Dualshock 4.

I'm sorry for not having an answer to your problem OP. I'm actually perplexed and waiting for someone to come up with a solution.
No problem. I really want to know what is the issue here, and until we learn more, I'll just keep it unplugged.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Maybe try to unpair your DS4 and see if the problem persists. Maybe there's a short in the controller that's triggering the console.

RexNovis

Oct 25, 2017
I had a similar problem. In my case it was an issue with the actual physical button on the front of the console. I tested it by draining my controllers till they couldn't power on and the problem still persisted. Did some readers have online and found out the button contacts are problem prone. You can disable the button by opening the console up and disconnecting it but I just ended up getting a new console (had some other minor issues as well).

OP
OP
Hanbei

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Maybe try to unpair your DS4 and see if the problem persists. Maybe there's a short in the controller that's triggering the console.
I will try and see if it works but I kinda doubt it: when the console magically turns on, the controller does not. I have to manually press the PS button to turn it on and use it to turn off the PS4 (before it turns on by itself again the next following 3 seconds, of course).

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Or "first" PS4 model with the capacitive button (I had the same problem), or some signal from the TV through the HDMI that tells it to power on...
I dont see any other possibilities.
You already excluded any bluetooth device or remote connection that could trigger the power on.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
Check if your cat has not made purchases.
On a serious note, rebuild the database. My ps3 does this and even my tv in the living room turns on, but this is gor system updates. My ps pro has never done it.

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or "first" PS4 model with the capacitive button (I had the same problem), or some signal from the TV through the HDMI that tells it to power on...
I dont see any other possibilities.
You already excluded any bluetooth device or remote connection that could trigger the power on.
For some reason, the PS4 is set to do this by default, so if your TV is also set the same, the PS4 will power on whenever the HDMI powers on.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would try to rebuild database, and then isolate the controller to see if that is the issue. Sounds like you've gotten the usual suspects checked already

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Possibilities

1. PS4 actually works with some TV remotes with no configuration so it's possible that someone is turning it on via remote (found this out by accident when I realized I could use my TV remote on my PS4)
2. PS4 works with HDMI CEC (allows your TV to control your PS4 and turn it on) so if your TV is sending a wake signal to your PS4 it could be turning it on. Check both your TV and PS4 settings to see if it's enabled
3. PS4 is possesed and you should probably call the closest man of God in your life to fix it.
4. PS4 has some kind of software glitch causing the problem and you should try booting it into safe mode and rebuilding the database

Other than that I'm not sure

Mar 19, 2019
Holy water is what you need.

I had a similar thought...
simon4.original.jpg

OP
OP
Hanbei

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Okay, so to summarize:

1) I don't have any pets.
2) The data base has been rebuilt twice since this morning. The issue is still not fixed.
3) I have completely disabled any sort of wireless connection between the PS4 and any other device (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, etc). It doesn't make things any better.
4) HDMI-CEC is also disabled.
5) I tried using my arcade stick, once I got rid of my DS4, to see if the latter was messing with the PS4. The problem is still there with a wired controller, so it must really come from the console itself.

And now there is a newly found issue on top of that: now, the PS4 won't even log me in. It turns on, then I am unable to select which profile I wanna use. PS4 won't let the controller (wireless or wired) work properly: I can't only press and hold the PS button to either turn off the console or put it in rest mode. Either way, it will turn on again right after, so that won't make any difference.

I'm growing tired of this situation. It is unplugged, but the moment I will plug it again, it will turn on again, and won't even let me use it.

Hitokiri03

Oct 25, 2017
Have you verified if the physical power button on the console is working properly (making the clicky sound when pressed)?

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried leaving it in rest mode instead? Just wondering if it's set to auto update and that's why it's waking but if it were in rest it might not do it explicitly.

--

edit, just saw the update, it's malevolent ghosts.

OP
OP
Hanbei

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Have you verified if the physical power button on the console is working properly (making the clicky sound when pressed)?
It appears to work properly indeed.
Have you tried leaving it in rest mode instead? Just wondering if it's set to auto update and that's why it's waking but if it were in rest it might not do it explicitly.
Turn off => Immediatly turns back on
Rest mode => Immediatly turns back on
That's the first thing I tried. Auto update is also disabled.

OP
OP
Hanbei

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
What in gods name you you been doing on it?
Nothing special, I swear. I even barely use it now, since I moved to PC gaming. It's just that, from time to time, I like playing The Last of Us Factions, so I play the game maybe twice or three times in a month. But since last night, at around 3 or 4 AM, the console has been doing all those crazy things. God knows why.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
  1. Could be static electricity buildup. Is the PS4 near carpet? Try a different outlet and see if it happens (annoying to unplug and check, I know)
  2. Automatic updates may be on and you have it set to a certain time. Does it only turn on during a certain time range?
  3. Could be a firmware issue. It's a known issue for some people. Maybe rebuild the database or format to factory default. (your best bet)
  4. The Power button on the console has some debris underneath (this is really reaching).
  5. If it's the version with capacitive buttons, it can be sensitive enough for dust or pet hair to turn the console on.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Well...this is the day it all started. Can't wait for terminator.

i don't have anything brilliant, try dusting off the buttons or maybe your DS4 has its PS button stuck. Worth a try.