• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people still buying Seagate products? Their hard drives have always had relatively high failure rates in comparison to other brands, so you're really shooting dice with their discs. HGST drive failures are nearly unheard of in comparison, and tend to perform better as well.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Don't buy Seagate drives, ever. If shopping for HDD's, go Western Digital or HGST, (which incidentally I believe is owned by Western Digital now), and for SSD's go Samsung or Sandisk.
Your link shows almost all Segates have better reliability than Western Digital. Only Two 4TB models have an insane failure rate.
blog-table-3-years.jpeg

Atraveller

Oct 25, 2017
Seagate was already trash around 2005, i worked in a computer store and we had many Barracudas that failed. Go with Western Digital if you have the option.
Looking at the latest Backblaze stats, Toshiba was the best option if you don't want to pay enterprise money for HGST drives.

TazKa

Oct 27, 2017
No one has a good answer?

I can only think of uploading videos to youtube and pictures maybe local or twitter.

This thread comes 2 years too late for myself. Bought a 2TB Barracuda SSHD for PS4 Pro. First install and instant failure of the drive. Last year around Horizon The Frozen Wilds dropped, again my 2nd drive failed. Lost my midgame save of TFW on ultra hard and had to start from the beginning of the expansion. Fun, just fun. XD

3rd drive seems to running alright at the moment, but my hopes that the drive will last until PS5 releases are not high, , more like I expect it to fail this year. :(

Mar 17, 2018
Same, but I can't justify spending more than a PS4 Pro costs on the SSD. At present, a 2TB 860 Evo is more than $500.

It definitely sucks man. I got my 850 Pro about a year ago for 360 plus Watch Dogs 2 for free on PC, which I valued at about 40 bucks. 320 was tough as hell for a 1 TB, but I cannot handle load times on some games, and it was the only option with a 10 year warranty. Now Samsung has no 10 years anymore either. With the PS4 Pro being so hot, I didn't want anything mechanical in there so I had to bite the bullet.

WD for me next though. They are the price war company, and their products are solid. When that 2TB hits closer to 300 I will be picking one up for the PC and then in the future my PS4 I would think.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're comparing it with other consumer electronics. 24hr on electronics are commercial grade electronics.

I didn't say it's built to be on 24/7. It's built to be in rest mode rather than turned off completely, just like any laptop. In rest mode the whole thing is not "on", it just powers the main memory and has the ability to boot up in a low power mode to handle downloads.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
I had the exact same problem with a 2TB Firecuda SSHD on a PS4 Pro. It failed exhibiting the "no storage connected" message.

Because I had a couple of game saves not backed up and didn't want to reinstall my games I spent some time diagnosing the problem. In my case it was not the drive itself, but the printed circuit board (PCB). After replacing the PCB with a spare of the same model the drive spun up again, but it was not possible to recover the data at that point. This may be because I tried too much troubleshooting stuff before getting to that point, or failure of the PCB damages crucial data.

If you ever get a message of "no storage connected" with this setup – STOP immediately messing around with the drive (unless the fix is simply that the HDD slid out a little bit and needs to be pressed back into the socket). It may not help and could make the problem worse. If you are desperate, I would try replacing the PCB to see if that works (easy procedure, but hard to get the same PCB); if so using a HDD-to-USB dongle and then cloning the drive 1:1 using a PC.

I think the point of failure was when my PS4 was shutting down, but I unplugged the console right before it completely finished the shut-down procedure.

TLDR

If you use a Seagate drive of the Firecuda make, particularly the SSHD hybrid version, on a PS4 you should be aware of a high failure rate. Immediately double check that your PSN settings are set to automatically backup saves. Inform yourself about Sony's policy regarding cloud saves after Playstation PLUS expiration, and backup of your saves to a USB is recommended on occasion. Consider replacing the drive at some point with a more reliable HDD.

Taffy Lewis

Oct 27, 2017
Years ago that was the case but testing recently showed that there's only like 0.1 to 0.3% difference between most manufactures. They're basically all the same but when you sell millions of drives there could always be a bad batch or model. Every drive will fail eventually. Backblaze does some really through testing of thousands of drives and puts out reports each year of exactly which brand and models are more likely to fail.

That doesn't mean these drives aren't potentially much more prone to failure. Shingled Magnetic Recording, which these SSHDs use (it's also the reason they tend to be dog slow), means the drive is going to be writing much more data than a typical hard drive.

Backblaze only uses specific models, not from all segments of the market.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
I didn't say it's built to be on 24/7. It's built to be in rest mode rather than turned off completely, just like any laptop. In rest mode the whole thing is not "on", it just powers the main memory and has the ability to boot up in a low power mode to handle downloads.

And like any laptop, putting it in sleep mode all the time is not healthy. In addition to sleep mode, laptops and PCs have suspend/hibernate mode where a snapshot is stored in a hard drive so you can power down. For the PS4 in rest mode, it has to power up and check for updates which means it still accesses your hdd even in this mode.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
An awful tech experience as a non expert in IT was having a HDD crash on me on 2 consoles, an external drive where the enclosure itself went bad, and another external with bad sectors.

It's an awful experience because games crashed randomly, so diagnosing the problem is incredibly time consuming, plus redownloading is equally time consuming. Plus your favourite hobby is out of commission for a while and you ruin tons of free time you could be spending on gaming.

I've been using old external drives, that while old, have been reliable as backup drives instead of full-time use drives in case this ever happens again.

No matter the brand, backup what you need!

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Fuck i have this currently in my PS4Pro. Luckily i'm backing stuff up with PSplus and have a fair amount of games on an external. Generally i trust WD (& Samsung) for other Hard drive related matters but the hybrid storage and speed plus and generally good reviews made me bite. You can back up game captures to your PC (via external) as well so basically anything that you don't want to lose you're able to backup. Not too worried and if it fails, I won't be setback too bad.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Fuck i have this currently in my PS4Pro. Luckily i'm backing stuff up with PSplus and have a fair amount of games on an external. Generally i trust WD (& Samsung) for other Hard drive related matters but the hybrid storage and speed plus and generally good reviews made me bite. You can back up game captures to your PC (via external) as well so basically anything that you don't want to lose you're able to backup. Not too worried and if it fails, I won't be setback too bad.

Wait wait you can hybrid storage on PS4?

Conflict

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Seagate is a garbage company. Every HDD I have bought off them (around 8) has died within 4 years. I strongly recommend anyone but them.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
Weirdly enough, I had this drive die in my Pro a few months ago after installing it the first day the Pro was out and I picked up mine. Seagate replaced it without any hassle, but now I run a 512GB SSD in my Pro and use this drive externally on it. Didn't realize it was potentially a wider issue.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
The 2TB baracuda I got for my launch pro was DOA and I never went back to replace it after that because it was sold out everywhere and not too long after that external HDD support for PS4 finally became a thing so I picked up a 4TB WD.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The Crucial MX 500 is the cheap SATA SSD to buy. There's no reason for going with a Samsung Evo if you're not buying a NVMe (card format) drive.
I have one in my Pro, a 275Gb. Means 3-5 big games, a bunch of indies and some regular check in the growing Capture folder. Transfering <--> Uncharted 4 to the WD Passeport 2Tb plugged into the 3.1 USB back port takes less than 10 minutes and 6-8 minutes from the WD to the Crucial.

On Resident Evil 7, I mesure half loading time with my nose. But I also play on the WD too, I just commonly use an old-fashioned online/offline strategy, putting my current most played games on the SSD and the rest on the "cold" external storage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
That was quick: I just received a free replacement 2TB Firecuda drive. I had to pay postage to return my broken drive, but at least Seagate shipped the replacement for free. The new drive is sealed, but on its sticker it says "recertified". I don't like the sound of that.
I was going to use it externally for PS4, but decided to get a 4TB USB drive by Western Digital instead, because 2TB is too small and I don't simply don't trust those Seagate SSHD drives anymore.
Guess I should sell it on ebay to recoup a few bucks.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
Sorry for bumping this thread but since black Friday is upon and me being in need of a new harddrive for my ps4 pro I figured this would be the best thread for the type of drive I might. So do you guys think I should get a 2tb firecuda harddrive or the 4tb barracuda harddrive? They're both relatively the same price. I just want one that hopefully won't crash and will give me more space.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Mine was starting to fail on firmware updates. Best to just use the stock drive and find a good external HDD.

Oct 27, 2017
I noticed in Destiny 2 I was loading into raids and strikes long after everyone else. After my Firecuda died I put the stock drive back in and started immediately loading in as fast or faster than everyone else.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
These SSHD drives are not meant for gaming

Either a normal HDD or SDD is fine
Mine was starting to fail on firmware updates. Best to just use the stock drive and find a good external HDD.

I noticed in Destiny 2 I was loading into raids and strikes long after everyone else. After my Firecuda died I put the stock drive back in and started immediately loading in as fast or faster than everyone else.
Thank you for the replies. So firecuda is not even meant to be used for ps4? I wonder why digital foundry recommended it

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So... are the 1TB SSHD from Seagate prone to this same failure?
Ive been using mine for 3 years so far.... but this thread is making me nervous.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
my brother's failed and had to be rma'd over the summer. I had mine bug out and wipe the drive last spring but was able to reinstall everything. My friend had his fail to boot but when he checked the drive it was fine. At this point I'm waiting for a cheap 1TB SSD to swap it out

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
I have that same one linked in the OP.

I'm 15 months in... seems all right up to this point. About to make sure important saves etc are backed up.

bigstef71

Banned
Jul 5, 2018
Chicago
The drive is relatively new. Digital Foundry isn't doing recommendations based on reliability. It's a cheap drive with plenty of storage space. Just might not last long.
I might just bite the bullet and just go with it to see how long it will last me. I'm not familiar with hardrive crashes but if it does can it mess up my system or will I be okay if I put back the original drive that came with the system?

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Haven't had any problems yet. Had no idea Seagate was a bad brand. I'm going to back up most of my saves and just buy one of those Samsung SSDs when it fails.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I nearly bought one for my Pro, but decided against because of the overwhelming evidence of high failure rates. Seagate fucked up.

I've always had issues with Seagate hard drives, even a couple decades ago. I swear by WD.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
I have a firecuda installed in my PS4 and when I booted it up it made a weird noise and the system turned off. Now I am getting a flashing blue light for around a minute with no tv signal before I finally get a message saying cannot access system storage. I stupidly didn't back up my save files so I was wondering if it's possible to try and get the hdd repaired somewhere or am I finished?

DonMigs85

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder if it's the Flash portion that fails. Maybe it's not ideally suited for a console-tweaked OS?