• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
My Seagate 4TB died a couple of weeks ago after a year and a half. 3.3TB's worth of games gone.

Gutted.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
Can I just say that I imagine this as a bad creepy pasta thread?

" It was dark. I finally went to bed, still feeling upset. I heard a faint grinding sound coming from the corner of my room. But how? The playstation 4 had been turned off an hour ago. Its dead hard drive discarded, thrown into the trash like so many of my aspirations and dreams. The grinding continued--rose in pitch, still soft, nearly inadible. It sounded to me, much like a hard drive protesting against years of overuse and neglect. The sound rose. I felt a shadow cover me in my lightless room. Fear gripped me. My PS4 Pro's 2TB Seagate Firecuda Just Died, And I'm Not Alone . It's here, watching me."

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, the Seagate is the issue. I know it's going to be people that are going to yell and scream at me that it isn't it, but it is.

If you have the funds for it, stop playing on that drive now, back up everything you can to an external, and get a new drive from WD.

If you can afford to, don't go into this weekend with that drive still in your PS4.

I've started having some weird stuttering problems as well. I think I still have the old original hard drive that came with my pro.

What is there to back up? All my saves are in the cloud, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to redownload some games.

Only thing I can think of is pictures and videos, but I have no idea where I could back those up to. :( Don't really have the spare cash for an SSD.

Is there some easy way of transferring them to my PC hard drive? I've got an internal 1TB that's about half free ish that should be able to hold onto them.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Seagate SSHD in my gaming laptop as the secondary drive.

This topic is making me sweat :-/

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
True...but I really don't want to have to install and update every time I want to play something different. It can take hours.

Yeah, I went with the seagate 2TB because it was cheap, and it has lasted me quite a while, but if this one dies soon I'm probably going to put the hard no on Seagate. I've been hearing about their relatively unreliability compared to everyone else for some time. Brother and dad both had issues with them too.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
i'm generalizing here, but tbh all people i've seen that use external HDD's with their ps4's only last them for 2 years or less.

Last edited:

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
People never learn with Seagate. I love what they do but man when it comes to reliability everything goes out of the door with them.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Yep my bad. External HDD's

Oh external? That would honestly probably be better. Although I didn't at first due to the hitching externals can have.

Replacing it is so much cleaner, but more of a hassle.

I'm worried extra hard drives will be much harder next gen. I don't want to be stuck with a 1TB, even if it's true game sizes will be a bit smaller.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I went with the seagate 2TB because it was cheap, and it has lasted me quite a while, but if this one dies soon I'm probably going to put the hard no on Seagate. I've been hearing about their relatively unreliability compared to everyone else for some time. Brother and dad both had issues with them too.
The thing is...who can we trust? I want to be able to get another 4TB drive but it seems by design the mechanical nature of the technology fails too quickly and too often. I would have though these days it would be way more reliable but I guess that's the point of SSD's, which are really expensive.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
My Seagate 4TB died a couple of weeks ago after a year and a half. 3.3TB's worth of games gone.

Gutted.

Jeez. I've been using a 4TB Seagate for about a year and a half now as well. I feel like it's just a matter of time before it fails.

Does everybody disconnect their drive before turning off their PS4? I wonder if that makes a difference.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is...who can we trust? I want to be able to get another 4TB drive but it seems by design the mechanical nature of the technology fails too quickly and too often. I would have though these days it would be way more reliable but I guess that's the point of SSD's, which are really expensive.

Western Digital is just going to be your best bet.

If you ever want to go SSD, Samsung all the way.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent decision. I'll keep an eye out for some BF deals on SSDs and update you.
So, completed the process. So far, so good. Gallery isn't acting up anymore, will play a few games this evening and check if all's good.

Amazingly, the stutter and freezing was happening while playing games on my external SSD. So will try some of them on there as well.

Thank goodness the SSHD didn't just die on me!
A warning to everyone, if you see symptoms, CHANGE THE SSHD!! Before it's too late!

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Jeez. I've been using a 4TB Seagate for about a year and a half now as well. I feel like it's just a matter of time before it fails.

Does everybody disconnect their drive before turning off their PS4? I wonder if that makes a difference.
I honestly don't know if this means anything but I noticed my 4TB drive always failed to be a recognised device when I booted up from Rest Mode. An HDD icon flashes where the time should be on the menu screen (top right) and applications showed an exclamation where the disc image should be. I always had to shut-down to get it to work. Over time it just got worse until it didn't want to know anymore.

Yeah, I do want to get sorted again so I'll go Western Digital early next year.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't know if this means anything but I noticed my 4TB drive always failed to be a recognised device when I booted up from Rest Mode. An HDD icon flashes where the time should be on the menu screen (top right) and applications showed an exclamation where the disc image should be. I always had to shut-down to get it to work. Over time it just got worse until it didn't want to know anymore.

Hm. You think I oughta start switching to full shut downs? I wonder if that would preserve the life longer.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Slightly off-topic, but can you backup saves to the same USB drive that has external installs? I've been backing up to PS Plus, so I don't think about it much.

RoboPlato

Oct 25, 2017
I think mine might have just died. What can I get that's 2Tb or more and faster than the stock drive? Bonus points if it's available at Best Buy

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
I think mine might have just died. What can I get that's 2Tb or more and faster than the stock drive? Bonus points if it's available at Best Buy
Best Buy options are:

$85: WD Blue 2tb HDD - $85 -- Faster (probably) than the stock HDD by virtue of areal density, but similar access latency.
Samsung 860 QVO 2tb SSD - $200 -- Solid SSD, cheap (relatively).

Alternately, if you want to mix speed and capacity, you could combine a 1tb internal SSD and a 4tb USB3 HDD for around the same price as the 2tb SSD.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
]
As far as SSHD, Seagate unfortunately has the upper storage amounts covered. The only option is a 1TB WD Slim SSHD.

[URL unfurl=

For now, Im going to replace the SSHD with the 1TB Toshiba drive the Pro came with. Then coast until Black Friday. Was playing Vampyr this evening and the game actually froze while running through the hospital..
In the process of backing up save games now (5 profiles, wishing Sony let you back up more than just the one profile that bought PS+).
Just back the saves up to a thumb drive. It's quicker than using cloud storage anyway.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just back the saves up to a thumb drive. It's quicker than using cloud storage anyway.
True, it is. But amazingly, I didn't realize the System Backup also backed up save games. Only realized when plugging in USBs with my backed up save games, it said "Are you sure you want to overwrite the data in system?", or something like that.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Hm. You think I oughta start switching to full shut downs? I wonder if that would preserve the life longer.
Just for clarity, the only time I let my PS4 Pro enter Rest Mode is when I had to download a massive file update (which became more frequent) and I couldn't stick around. I'd turn off my TV and the console reverts to Rest Mode. I personally always selected full shut-down after use.

I can't say for sure but I in my experience if I hadn't let my unit fall in to Rest Mode I feel my 4TB drive would still be working. However, if you use Rest Mode all the time and never experienced the issue then I wouldn't worry so much.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Just for clarity, the only time I let my PS4 Pro enter Rest Mode is when I had to download a massive file update (which became more frequent) and I couldn't stick around. I'd turn off my TV and the console reverts to Rest Mode. I personally always selected full shut-down after use.

I can't say for sure but I in my experience if I hadn't let my unit fall in to Rest Mode I feel my 4TB drive would still be working. However, if you use Rest Mode all the time and never experienced the issue then I wouldn't worry so much.

Well I have pretty much exclusively used rest mode. Unfortunately sometimes I have turned it on and it like, didn't turn on right away and when it did it said I hadn't properly shut it down...which, I didn't unplug it so idk. I have also had some recent issues with like, freezing at the dashboard requiring a full restart at one point (controller couldn't interface with the menu items, but could pull up the quick menu by holding PS button), or a few games just opening and taking a while to actually start. Just a lot of weird oddities in the past idk couple months? It's hard to say. Most unstable it's been in a while.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

I'm going with Western Digital for my Nvme SSD on my next PC and currently on a Crucial SSD, but yeah I would love to go with Samsung someday as well for extra storage with games.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going with Western Digital for my Nvme SSD on my next PC and currently on a Crucial SSD, but yeah I would love to go with Samsung someday as well for extra storage with games.

I still have my 240GB sata drive back from when SSDs were still like, so so so expensive and really new and regularly you'd see them failing even from WD. I think this was around 2012? I was having people tell me it was worth the upgrade but have a backup because of how unreliable they were.

But then everyone was saying Samsung was really great so I did that and it's still going strong.

I ended up going with a kind of low end Intel M.2 for my 1TB SSD a little while ago, but I was really strapped at the time. If I had the money I'd probably go samsung.

I'm sure now WD are probably plenty good though.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I still have my 240GB sata drive back from when SSDs were still like, so so so expensive and really new and regularly you'd see them failing even from WD. I think this was around 2012? I was having people tell me it was worth the upgrade but have a backup because of how unreliable they were.

But then everyone was saying Samsung was really great so I did that and it's still going strong.

I ended up going with a kind of low end Intel M.2 for my 1TB SSD a little while ago, but I was really strapped at the time. If I had the money I'd probably go samsung.

I'm sure now WD are probably plenty good though.
I never had WD fail on me yet and I use them for most of my hard drives.=O Plus the WD Nvme I have and saving up for the next PC got fantastic reviews. But yeah at some point some great brands will fail here and there but at least not too often.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Well I have pretty much exclusively used rest mode. Unfortunately sometimes I have turned it on and it like, didn't turn on right away and when it did it said I hadn't properly shut it down...which, I didn't unplug it so idk. I have also had some recent issues with like, freezing at the dashboard requiring a full restart at one point (controller couldn't interface with the menu items, but could pull up the quick menu by holding PS button), or a few games just opening and taking a while to actually start. Just a lot of weird oddities in the past idk couple months? It's hard to say. Most unstable it's been in a while.
Sounds like Rest Mode itself isn't stable. If you've been generally fine all this time though I can't see much changing unless the life of the external drive is shorter than expected.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
yup just tested mine in my pc and it failed the test just about immediately. its under warranty though. but still. that sucks.

Oct 27, 2017
Seagate is known for having the highest failure rate. WD all the way for SATA drives, Samsung for SSD's, and Micron makes an amazing U.2 drive (another form of SSD). I would steer clear of their storage drives at all costs for both commercial and residential uses. Sorry to hear this happened to you. Glad they are taking care of it though and getting you a replacement. Sounds like a second external backup would not hurt to have as well for the future. Two backups at minimum (I usually have a cloud / network then an external) is the safest best.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a CE-36329-3 error. Which it said the solution to was updating it. Of course, I can't update it...so.

Yeah I think it's on the way out. I do have my saves backed up, but pictures and videos I'm not sure what to do about. I don't have an external hard drive :/

Is there a way to just hook it directly to my PC and back up?

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard a single positive thing about seagate. My own experiences too. I've owned two separate external seagate HDD's, which both died around or under a year. Utter trash.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
having it inside my PS4 pro from launch day. Never had any issue. Always using rest mode

ImpendingFoil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Mine just died on Monday. Lost like four hours of Death Stranding. I feel for my faulty drive friends in this thread.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Seagate are the only drive manufacturer that has failed on me prematurely. I stopped using them a very long time ago and now just stick with Toshiba or Samsung SSD's.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I always think it's funny to see Seagate take such a beating in public opinion, mostly spurred on by the one backblaze report.

Each brand has a few bum skus and there are outliers out there, but believe me, I work in a job with a LOT of storage devices, and we replace WD, HGST, Toshiba, DELL(rebrands ofc), and Seagates on a regular basis. Drive failures are all a low single digit % across the board, the 2tb firecuda failures stand out with this community because it was the go to internal replacement for PS4s a few years ago. I feel for everyone that's had a drive failure, but I've had 3 WD drives fail in one storage device within the span of a week, it doesn't mean they stand out as unreliable, shit happens. It sucks when it's something important to you like your games or family photos, but there's a reason people that deal with data always recommend backups.

That said I wouldn't buy one now, but only because 1-2tb sata SSDs are so cheap currently.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I always think it's funny to see Seagate take such a beating in public opinion, mostly spurred on by the one backblaze report.

Each brand has a few bum skus and there are outliers out there, but believe me, I work in a job with a LOT of storage devices, and we replace WD, HGST, Toshiba, DELL(rebrands ofc), and Seagates on a regular basis. Drive failures are all a low single digit % across the board, the 2tb firecuda failures stand out with this community because it was the go to internal replacement for PS4s a few years ago. I feel for everyone that's had a drive failure, but I've had 3 WD drives fail in one storage device within the span of a week, it doesn't mean they stand out as unreliable, shit happens. It sucks when it's something important to you like your games or family photos, but there's a reason people that deal with data always recommend backups.

That said I wouldn't buy one now, but only because 1-2tb sata SSDs are so cheap currently.

Agreed in part. I have had 4 drives die on me in the last 25 years or so. They were all Seagate. So while it is irrational, I won't be buying any of their drives moving forward.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London

Anecdotal, of course, but every single seagate drive I've used from student film projects from ten years ago, to extra storage drives has had issues and gone into mechanical failure much quicker than acceptable. I have a lot of important files on an 8 tb Xbox ones right now for my windows 10 machine and I'm a bit worried, for sure.

GetDigitized

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I've had worse experience with Toshiba , My seagate drives are fine, but I purposely steered clear of their hybrid drives since the issues started poppig up like a year after they first released.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
PS4 has a nice feature that allows you to back up ALL saves at once to USB. There is no reason not to use it occasionally ;)
Damn, that is nice! I don't know anything about the PS4's format for saved games, but would I be able to do this total backup to a USB, then copy the files to my PC for long-term storage? Then if my PS4 ever died, I could copy the files back to a USB and then back into the PS4?

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
My goal is to never buy a mechanical HDD again, but even if I were to buy one I'd never buy a Seagate drive again after the 3TB drive fiasco. I managed to save a lot of the data on the drive before it bit the dust, but I was lucky enough to notice the signs it was on it's way out.