• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I transitioned away from mechanical drives way back and couldn't imagine a situation I'd want to use them anymore. They're a bit more expensive, but I can live with a bit smaller drive since I don't keep everything installed anyway.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I have the same but goddamn I wish WD had the same type of thing for the same price that I could use for PS4 Pro as I would rather have one of them. Seagate is iffy at best and has been for years.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Why are people still buying Seagate products? Their hard drives have always had relatively high failure rates in comparison to other brands, so you're really shooting dice with their discs. HGST drive failures are nearly unheard of in comparison, and tend to perform better as well.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Don't buy Seagate drives, ever. If shopping for HDD's, go Western Digital or HGST, (which incidentally I believe is owned by Western Digital now), and for SSD's go Samsung or Sandisk.

Yeah, I will never buy Seagate again. One year I had a drive I had for media storage fail on me under warranty. They sent me a replacement that was broken 3 times in a row. Either DOA or immediate boot errors. It wasn't until the 4th, which ended up being a bigger and entirely different line of drive, that I finally got one that worked. And that was just *one* of the Seagate incidents I had. Not a single one is still working and I don't know why I ever bought more than one.

In contrast I've only had one WD drive fail ever, which was one of the like 80 gig or whatever smaller Raptors back then, which WD replaced with a 300gb Raptor that I'm still using for extra game storage to this day. My WD Blacks and Passports have all worked perfectly without fail.

My Pro houses a 1TB Samsung 850 Evo that I got pretty cheap on a black friday sale, so not worried about that failing thankfully.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I use a 1TB Crucial SSD inside my PS4, but have a 4TB Seagate HDD external. Only reason I bought a Seagate was because of the low price per GB, I would have chosen another if they were beat or matched their €/GB ratio.

I keep P.T. on my Crucial SSD though, can't trust Seagate not to have some deal with Konami to brick hard drives with P.T. on it under the guise of high failure rate.

dabri

Nov 2, 2017
seagate and wd drives have always crapped out on me after a short amount of time. Some models are better than others but I've never been happy with my random hd purchases from them.

Oct 27, 2017
All HDD's are bound to keel over at some point, but I've had my worst reliability experiences with Seagate HDDs. After that had one or two issues with WD drives. Their blue / green drives are trash because of weird aggressive head parking (their red drives are good though).

Best HDDs I've had by far have been HGST.

Nov 4, 2017
That sucks, OP. At least you're getting a replacement though. For my PS4 I bought that 2TB Seagate external that used a Samsung drive people were going mental for a few years back. Two and a half years on and no dramas yet. I also have a Hitachi external drive that I back the system up to occasionally.

The PS4 came with a HGST 500gb which I chucked into the caddy for a handy little portable drive. I quite like HGST drives. Even though BackBlaze and other testing stats don't really apply to home user scenarios, but I've never had a Hitachi fail on me (a few Seagates and WD have given up the ghost on me). Drive failure is a strange beast in the consumer space. Your odds of a drive failing on you are pretty damn slim if you take good care of it (they offer 5 year warranties for a reason), but when they do fail it's catastrophic because home users often fail to adequately backup their data. These days I run a NAS in RAID6 (for that dual redundancy + striping, my 4 drive array can tolerate 2 drives failing and still recover), with all my vital stuff backed up in the cloud (because RAID IS NOT BACKUP!!!).

No_Style

Oct 26, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Hard drives fail. It sucks but it happens. I was wary of WD early in life due to a failure then I was wary of Seagate. Now I judge by model.

Seagate hard drives are everywhere; they're one of the models as stock hard drives for all consoles if I am not mistaken. I am curious what the failure rate of these specific models are.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why are people still buying Seagate products? Their hard drives have always had relatively high failure rates in comparison to other brands, so you're really shooting dice with their discs. HGST drive failures are nearly unheard of in comparison, and tend to perform better as well.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Don't buy Seagate drives, ever. If shopping for HDD's, go Western Digital or HGST, (which incidentally I believe is owned by Western Digital now), and for SSD's go Samsung or Sandisk.

your link literally shows that only specific seagate drives have abnormally high failure rates. and this doesn't even include 2tb drives and below, which have been pretty low in the failure rate department. this kind of fearmongering doesn't help at all. i always suggest to just go for whichever has the best deal.

Nov 1, 2017
To everyone saying Seagate sucks: If I am not mistaken, WD and Seagate assign specific plants to manufacture HDDs depending on your location. Wouldn't that play a factor? I've had equal luck with both brands over the years.

Either way, thanks for the PSA OP. It's always a good idea to have a backup... Especially when I have that specific HDD in my system. :S

Last edited:

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hmm, aren't Seagates in general not very reliable?

I think I remember hearing that but that was a while ago so I dunno if that's still the case
Around the time people were first talking about replacing the HDD in their consoles this survey was posted (on the old site) showing Seagate drives at the time were indeed less reliable than the competition overall.

blog-fail-drives-manufactureX.jpg

That site has more current numbers (per model) if people are interested. Things seem a lot more even now.

30yearsofhurt

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This happened to me after 6 months. I got sent a replacement but the hassle is just awful. Thankfully I have unlimited internet but it still takes ages to re-download 1.8 tb of games.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit.

I installed 2TB in my vanilla PS4 in December 2015 I think, and I moved it to my Pro whenever the Pro came out. So I'm going on 3 years. Uh oh.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but Seagate are pretty awful drives. They are usually slower and fail more (as stated above)

Personally it's worth staying with Western Digital Black drives. High quality, good warranty, great performance

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
Oh a Seagate. Never purchase one of those in your life. Worst hard drives ever.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I was hesitant to do a internal HDD upgrade for those reasons. I find though not as fast using a external is a safer way for handling large storage of games on my PS4PRO.

I wonder if it's possible to us HD CLONE on the Seagate and see if you can image it to another new drive.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There was no alternative to Segate's Firecuda 2TB SSHD for PS4 when I bought it last year; I never buy Seagate for data storage. Are there any similar drives by other makers?
Isn't the BarraCuda an alternative? Has better reviews and is cheaper.

PS: yes, Toshiba. I have a 1tb sshd in my PS3 since many years and I love it!

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like I need to crack my ps4 open today and find out which 2tb drive I put in. I probably should have kept track of that....

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
So glad I didn't half ass this. I full assed this one thing and bought a Samsung SSD. Still going strong since launch. The Pro itself however....

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well I mean... you bought a Seagate.

I learned my lesson when I had to replace a RAID 5 server with all Seagate HD's. Every single one of them failed after a year and a half, thankfully everything was backed up through Veeam. I will never buy another product from them again.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Seagate was already trash around 2005, i worked in a computer store and we had many Barracudas that failed. Go with Western Digital if you have the option.

Yea, they even had a MASSIVE HDD recall ~2008 in which many of the OEM drives that were bundled with all sorts of branded computers were declared faulty which really caused a lot of fuckery. I was impacted myself having bought a PC around then. Didn't even bother waiting for the eventual replacement fix and instead just bought a WD Black to throw in. To this day I still use that same drive to run my Steam Library(in different machines) and it never has given me faults.

I did give Seagate another chance with this 2tb for my PS4 Pro, crossing fingers mine doesn't corrupt.

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is your console turned off when you don't use it? Completely turned off, not power savings mode. Because otherwise the HDDs run 24/7 and are not built for that, you need server grade HDDs for that.

The PS4 doesn't keep the hard drive constantly online during sleep, only when there is a download or something.

Also, hard drives are more strained when turned off/on often, not when they are constantly running.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Great, I have this exact drive and I was planning on tranferring it to my Spider-Man PS4 Pro. Now I'm not so sure...

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Hard drives have been very unreliable ever since the Thailand floods. The good ones used to be ~1-2% failure rate. Now pretty much everything is ~5% failure rate.

I doubt there's anything special about this Seagate.

edit: maybe I was wrong. Haven't looked into it for a few years.

blog_chart_q3_2017_lifetime-1.jpg

And this is from ~2 years ago:

screen_shot_2016-05-17_at_2.14.20_pm.jpg

Last edited:

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I knew that the despite all of the praise that I was better not buying this lol. It's simply because of Seagate.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When I researched hard drives to buy maybe 8 years ago, there were always warnings about buying seagate. I usually get WD for hdd and samsung for ssd.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
yeah my brother's firecuda died a few months back and mine had a cache error that wipe the drive. Seems like there was something with that batch

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I have a 4TB Seagate back up plus connected via USB to my PS4. Are these faulty and shitty or reliable? Now i'm scared

Fairxchange

Oct 30, 2017
I got a 2tb external drive on my Pro with 1tb internal. Possibly best to go the external route for easier replacement.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
Wow... i have one of those... It is about a year old-- it was in my launch PS4 and I moved it into my Pro... i hope I don't run into that problem.

Kudo

Oct 25, 2017
Seagate HDDs have the highest failure rates on market, no surprise here.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
Mine died as well... I dont recommend getting an RMA, since the last 3 I sent were DOA. But yeah I would use either the stock drive or something else. The original 1tb SSHD from seagate was good, I've had that one for 3 years now, and no problems.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Same shit happened to me with that drive. Died after 10-11 months. Lost about 50 hours of saves, the rest was on a backup fortunately. Last HDD failure i had was over 15 years ago.

At least i got a replacement swiftly. Nobody could replace my headache though.

Oct 26, 2017
I have a Seagate in mine too. It makes a big beep sound every now and again. I'll be sad if I lose all my videos and screenshots.

Deleted member 11517

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have the same but goddamn I wish WD had the same type of thing for the same price that I could use for PS4 Pro as I would rather have one of them. Seagate is iffy at best and has been for years.
SSHDs are really common nowadays and barely more expensive than a standard HDD, the reason why the BarraCuda is well reviewed is that it is slightly faster than average. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a firecuda instead (as they're slower and cost more *and* have a higher failure rare appearantly)

The Toshiba in my PS3 died after few years. It can happen with every brand.

I mean yeah, it sucks, only way to mitigate the issue is to make backups.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man your stories scared me. I have a Seagate Seven that I store some... Memories on and I will buy another HDD as a back up of my Seagate.