• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Same exact thing happened to mine. Just suddenly stopped working about 9 months in. I went to a true SSD and haven't looked back.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
Yeah I've never owned a Seagate hard drive that didn't fail. They all fail, sometimes within a few weeks. I personally feel they are absolute irrefutable garbage and don't understand how the company can even be in business. I would do video editing back in the day, and the Seagate hard drives would fail like clockwork.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
Just gonna mimmick everyone else and say stop buying seagates.

WD should be first choice and HGST if you wanna spend a little extra on something even more reliable. Or just get a SSD.

Mar 18, 2018
I wouldn't trust a cloud storage solution to keep my files and not corrupt them somehow over time
No, man. When you send the files to cloud, they make a super-safe backup to FBI/CIA/Homeland Security severs. You can just ask them to send you the copy.

Now, in all seriousness. I can't imagine, cloud solution doesn't have some sort of redundant syatem to keep the files safe. My company is a telecom and even we have loke 'x' days of backups on different servers in case something fcks up

Manzoon

Oct 25, 2017
East Coast, USA
The only HDD I've had fail on me was a Seagate, I thought it was the much older Western Digital in my PC. Backed up everything on the wrong drive...

Never buying one again and now I backup my important shit in triplicate.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
hmm, aren't Seagates in general not very reliable?

I think I remember hearing that but that was a while ago so I dunno if that's still the case
Years ago that was the case but testing recently showed that there's only like 0.1 to 0.3% difference between most manufactures. They're basically all the same but when you sell millions of drives there could always be a bad batch or model. Every drive will fail eventually. Backblaze does some really through testing of thousands of drives and puts out reports each year of exactly which brand and models are more likely to fail.

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I have never in my life had a positive experience with Seagate. Multiple hard drive failures, and no other brand has done this to me.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I see Seagate hasn't changed. I stopped buying their drives almost 2 decades ago. My Samsung SSD from like 2013 is still going strong *knocks on wood*

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I have a couple of Seagate Barracudas from like 2000 which still work fine, I hope that's not representative of the company's current products.

Edit: oh this is a hybrid SSHD, never was into those, waiting for SSDs to get cheap enough to get a big one. Currently have a 250 SSD only and a large Toshiba HDD, the aforementioned Barracudas being for less important backups and downloads due to their age.

As for people using this to prove the company sucks, they all have duds at some points, like Samsung that some vouch for in here and their early Evo SSD troubles.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought a hard drive a year (on average) for the past 9 years and I've yet to have one die on me. most of my drives are seagate or Western Digital. failure rates across big manufacturers are low and pretty close to one another last i saw. Sorry OP you were just unlucky.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
Eh I've learned to stay away from Seagate drives. Learned my lesson years ago after repeated failed drives after transferring my music collection to them. WD has never let me down though. I have a 16TB NAS with four 4TB reds and they simply work.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
Those 1 TB and 2 TB Seagates are complete trash. Both lasted between 2 and 3 years.

Buy Western Digital or Toshiba.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
ALL DRIVES fail. That's why you should always have a backup solution.

Seagate gets a bad rep but even if you use other brands don't think you are safe.

Same goes for SSDs also. It's not just a HDD issue.

Etain

Oct 25, 2017
... hmm, I have that in my laptop. I'll have to make sure nothing vital stays there then, thanks.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Damn. My co-worker had the same HD for his Xbox One X, and he also had a failure. He was pissed. That sucks and good to know.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
PS4 has a nice feature that allows you to back up ALL saves at once to USB. There is no reason not to use it occasionally ;)
Did not know this. Thanks for the info. I'll need to buy a modern USB stick at some point..

Edit: Also holy shit 1TB SSDs are way cheaper than I remember now. Seeing them for £170 to £200 in the UK. I'm absolutely going to be putting a large SSD in my PS5 on day one looking at the way prices are going.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
If this is the problem then surely it can be repaired. Now if the problem was the physical platters then the data would be unrecoverable.
I have no idea what the problem was, but the drive itself wasn't even recognized when connected to a PC, just the enclosure.
Having data rescued from a defective HDD is extremely expensive, I had to do it once when I lost very important academic stuff. It's absolutely not worth it for a couple of game saves and videos. Furthermore, in this case it's quite likely the drive's cache was lost, too, which means rescuing the data (which to make matters worse is enrypted) wouldn't do any good.

Gxgear

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
I'm going to have to reserve judgement since it's just anecdotal evidence. Haven't had a single failed drive in my life yet so can't say which one's better or worse.

Riesenfass

Oct 29, 2017
I transitioned away from mechanical drives way back and couldn't imagine a situation I'd want to use them anymore. They're a bit more expensive, but I can live with a bit smaller drive since I don't keep everything installed anyway.

Just a friendly head's up, SSDs can fail too, backup anything you care about.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Why are people still buying Seagate products? Their hard drives have always had relatively high failure rates in comparison to other brands, so you're really shooting dice with their discs. HGST drive failures are nearly unheard of in comparison, and tend to perform better as well.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-2017/

Don't buy Seagate drives, ever. If shopping for HDD's, go Western Digital or HGST, (which incidentally I believe is owned by Western Digital now), and for SSD's go Samsung or Sandisk.

The data in this article is very likely skewed against Seagate simply because it's an account of one datacenter's spread of drive failures and doesn't take into account how many drives of each brand they have in that datacenter. Seagate is used as the OEM drive vendor for pretty much all Dell PowerEdge servers and many HP Enterprise products. Without knowing the ratio of machines equipped with Seagate vs machines equipped with drives from other mfrs, it's hard to trust this data source as a true representation of Seagate's product.

In my own environments, we have about 300 servers and SANs, and probably about 600-700 disks (many of the servers are just vm hosts and diskless, but the SANs that feed them may have 24 disks). I would estimate without doing an inventory that about 70% of our disks are Seagate, just knowing that we use mostly Dell and HP products. We have a couple of EMC SANs that are all Samsung SSDs. I've had to replace 10-15 disks in the last 4 years, and I would say that 9-10 of them were Seagates, 2-3 were Toshibas, and 2 were Samsung SSDs. Do I see a higher failure rate on my Seagates? Sure. But is it because I have many more of them than I do other brands? Probably.

Hard drive failures happen. They happen a lot, and many times without warning. Doesn't matter what brand you choose out of the bigger guys. In my experience I haven't seen any model or brand of drive with outright high failure rates since the old clickity-clak of the IBM DeskStar.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
hmm, aren't Seagates in general not very reliable?
I think I remember hearing that but that was a while ago so I dunno if that's still the case
They have had a couple of specific models known for bad reliability, and Backblaze's stats are skewed by the drives they bought up due to the Thailand floods, but generally they are not significantly worse than other manufacturers.
Western Digital drives generally have a good reputation, but they had some models known for poor reliability in the past too, with the "Green" line of drives.

18 months is a bit quick though. Three+ years, sure, but at 18 months in a device that probably hasn't been moved once that's quick. Especially since it has a 5 year warranty. Seagate didn't plunk that long of a warranty on it expecting to have to replace them so soon.
I would always recommend doing multiple full surface write+read tests with any new drives before putting data on them to weed out the ones that are going to fail prematurely. I've had good success with that so far.

Unfortunately the other thing which really helps in my experience is to prevent them from sleeping or shutting down.
It's no surprise that WD's Green drives are the ones which had a reputation for poor reliability because they were more aggressive than normal drives for parking the head and spinning down.
If you used a tool to disable that feature in the drive's firmware, they were no less reliable than other drives.
You won't have that option with a PS4, as the console will manage that. No health monitoring tools either.

And of course the most important thing if you care about your data is to have multiple backups - though it sounds like you need to pay for a PS+ subscription to automate that on the PS4.
Hopefully next gen will support 3.5" drives, as they are cheaper, faster, and I've always found 2.5" to be significantly less reliable.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But everyone told me these were pretty great ? Lies, deception.

Edit: Can you back up saves to an external drive ?

Oct 28, 2017
i actually have been planning to switch back to a SSD when i get my SpiderPro next month, it will have to be a 1TB SSD though so going from 2TB HDD to 1TB SSD is gonna suck storage wise but im more confident in my samsung ssds than im in all my HDD purchases lol

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Haven't touched my Pro for a while and starting it now it's really slow when browsing my apps. 1TB Crucial SSD.
I guess it has to do with not using it regularly and giving enough love.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I refuse to use Seagate drives. Every single one I have ever used have died in less than two years of normal use.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
i actually have been planning to switch back to a SSD when i get my SpiderPro next month, it will have to be a 1TB SSD though so going from 2TB HDD to 1TB SSD is gonna suck storage wise but im more confident in my samsung ssds than im in all my HDD purchases lol
You can just external USB the 2TB HDD. That's what I do, 750GB SSD and 4TB external USB. Transfer new games to SSD and move them to HDD when I no longer play them.

Oct 28, 2017
You can just external USB the 2TB HDD. That's what I do, 750GB SSD and 4TB external USB. Transfer new games to SSD and move them to HDD when I no longer play them.

the thought crossed my mind but right now i dont have any more space where i got my normal pro hooked, i guess it is still a good option if i get around reorganizing everything

Kempy161

Dec 6, 2017
I bought a 2TB Seagate Firecuda and it started clicking and failed in my PS4 before it had even finished doing the first time setup, and that's not the only trouble I've had with Seagate. Not a brand i would touch again sadly.

OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 2TB Seagate Firecuda and it started clicking and failed in my PS4 before it had even finished doing the first time setup, and that's not the only trouble I've had with Seagate. Not a brand i would touch again sadly.
Interesting, I too heard a clicking sound shortly before it failed. I had no idea that was the hdd. Too bad, maybe I would have had enough time to back up all personal data if I had known.

Feb 1, 2018
Friends don't let friends use Seagate- it's one of the least reliable brands.

Put an SSD in your Pro and don't look back. Take advantage of the console's full SATA 3 bus! 500MB/s means your games will load almost instantly.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Every single Seagate I've owned has failed, both in my PS4 and in my PC. The only drives I've had fail are Seagates. The one in my PC only lasted less than a year, the one in my PS4 took about two.
Don't buy Seagate.

OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
I see that 1TB 860 EVO has become relatively affordable. Would that be a good choice? Sounds reliable, and read/write speed is about 500MB/s.

OP
OP
Occam

Occam

Oct 25, 2017
So, I went ahead and ordered a 1TB Evo 860. Once I get the Firecuda back, maybe I'll just put it into a USB enclosure and use it as external drive for games I rarely play.

DesiacX

Oct 27, 2017
I just checked and this is the drive in my laptop. Started out as a 128gb ssd + 1tb slow AF hdd, so i replaced the HDD with this. Checking the invoice, looks like ive been running it for a year and a month.

I am not too concerned since my luck with these types of things is kinda high. If is does start to break down, i hope i am lucky enough for it to not outright die and give me the clicks first so i can backup.

Mar 17, 2018
Well my Samsung SSD has a ten year warranty. Expensive but I needed it. The heat in those Pro's I would think could cause problems with unstable or already weaker parts.

Mar 17, 2018
So, I went ahead and ordered a 1TB Evo 860. Once I get the Firecuda back, maybe I'll just put it into a USB enclosure and use it as external drive for games I rarely play.

I have the Pro, and yes both of them are great. Still very near top of class stuff. I just wish I had 2 TB.

My next one for PC will probably be a WD 2 TB.

Last edited:

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Seagate did have some HDD with high failure rates. I can't remember this series having any known problems .

It might be best to either go SSD or slower drives for more reliability

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Well now I'm scared.

Is there an easy way to back up all my captures if I don't have a lot of room on my computer?