• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wasn't asked for the FIRST PS3 (i also think mine was on PC), during the first chat (where i got my account back) i gave them the one the account has been connected to for forever as I'm on my 3rd ps3. I took pictures and will be keeping them forever after this though too lol. When i got incontact a day and ahalf later for my account id to get changed back i was asked the serial of the console my PSN was first used/created on but i reiterated all this info to them and it was smooth sailing still. I'm just hoping this really is just for the investigation and I'm not banned banned. If i knew that for absolute fact i would not worry i know who's account it is lol.

Jesus, I almost had a mild (not really) heart attack. Good to know you don't need the FIRST account.

My first PS3 died, and I junk yarded it. My first PS4 I traded in for my Pro - only like a year-ish ago. For a second I thought i was really boned. Had this account since like 2006. lol

OP
OP
MulderYuffie

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus, I almost had a mild (not really) heart attack. Good to know you don't need the FIRST account.

My first PS3 died, and I junk yarded it. My first PS4 I traded in for my Pro - only like a year-ish ago. For a second I thought i was really boned. Had this account since like 2006. lol
Like 2009 here but had my ps3 longer. Had the old fat ps3 it got the yellow light. And the second would randomly shut off 2 minutes or 2 hours in so it had to go. I assume there is some way they track the actovity and of course the "active devices" in your account settings probably helps too. Always better to be safe than sorry though!

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
My account got hijacked too, and they found a way to get access again (maybe via a hotmail bookmark I was using. Microsoft moved to outlook.com, it's weird because I suddenly noticed hotmail was in German or something). I was lucky that I always remove my billing info after I buy things on the internet. I got my account back because I still had the original PS3 (serial number) that I started the account with.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't asked for the FIRST PS3 (i also think mine was on PC), during the first chat (where i got my account back) i gave them the one the account has been connected to for forever as I'm on my 3rd ps3. I took pictures and will be keeping them forever after this though too lol. When i got incontact a day and ahalf later for my account id to get changed back i was asked the serial of the console my PSN was first used/created on but i reiterated all this info to them and it was smooth sailing still. I'm just hoping this really is just for the investigation and I'm not banned banned. If i knew that for absolute fact i would not worry i know who's account it is lol.

Oh so it looks like there would be some hope for me then. Good. I had heard horror stories of that whole "first PS3 you had" bs. Which is such a nonsense thing to ask people. Who would know to check that.

The guy seems reassuring so I'm going to assume you're safe, but I'll be watching the thread curiously.

OP
OP
MulderYuffie

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Oh so it looks like there would be some hope for me then. Good. I had heard horror stories of that whole "first PS3 you had" bs. Which is such a nonsense thing to ask people. Who would know to check that.

The guy seems reassuring so I'm going to assume you're safe, but I'll be watching the thread curiously.
Thanks man! I honestly believe you would be ok without that of course i suppose it all comes down to the person you end up talking with but awhile back when there was a forced psn password reset i had to give the date of birth that was linked to the account and well....when i made the account I didn't use my own (i think we all know why on this one) so i hoped on live chat and I didn't need the serial of the first console used with the account then either so i think you are good to go!

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
2FA is not a guaranteed way to prevent hacking because there is an SMS exploit out there. Mine was hacked despite having 2FA, I didn't even realize until one day when my net was down and all my games showed lock because the hacker had made it his PS4 primary. Luckily I had no payment details saved and had like $1 in wallet (which was still there lol). Sony really needs to up their security, even beyond the 2FA and whatnot. I'd also recommend everyone to disable internet once in a while to see if you're really playing on primary console or not.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks man! I honestly believe you would be ok without that of course i suppose it all comes down to the person you end up talking with but awhile back when there was a forced psn password reset i had to give the date of birth that was linked to the account and well....when i made the account I didn't use my own (i think we all know why on this one) so i hoped on live chat and I didn't need the serial of the first console used with the account then either so i think you are good to go!

Yeah I'm really worried about date of birth.

I used a fake date of birth, but I keep forgetting it. I wrote it down, but I'm worried if this happens like, what if I can't find it and don't remember.

But I also really don't want my real date of birth there in case someone steals my account and has access to that info.

OP
OP
MulderYuffie

MulderYuffie

Oct 25, 2017
Got my account back! Didn't realize it but an hour ago i was sent an email about the refund so i went to try and log in and all i had to do is change my password again and i am now back into my account! Thank you everyone for all the help!

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
2FA is not a guaranteed way to prevent hacking because there is an SMS exploit out there. Mine was hacked despite having 2FA, I didn't even realize until one day when my net was down and all my games showed lock because the hacker had made it his PS4 primary. Luckily I had no payment details saved and had like $1 in wallet (which was still there lol). Sony really needs to up their security, even beyond the 2FA and whatnot. I'd also recommend everyone to disable internet once in a while to see if you're really playing on primary console or not.

I'd love for Sony to start using Authy for 2fa. SMS is just too weak to be a real deterrent. Until they do something more, I'm not linking any financial accounts to their systems.

Iucidium

Oct 25, 2017
Got my account back! Didn't realize it but an hour ago i was sent an email about the refund so i went to try and log in and all i had to do is change my password again and i am now back into my account! Thank you everyone for all the help!
He's already said he's now enabled that...have a glance at the thread.
I'll keep screaming it until everyone has it. We wouldn't have these...threads.