• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
How old is she and how good is your relationship with her? I'm inclined to say let it be for the moment, but if she's not a dick and just ignorant as to how tone can come across over email, it might be worth bringing up.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
giphy.gif

Right, but even though I acknowledge a fuck up, it's still a matter of whether she's aware that may come off as rude. So apart from me, it's a matter of office etiquette I'm inquiring about. Cool Desus gif, though.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
Probably just using it to stand out. I'm lazy as fuck sending emails in work and can't be bothered bolding or underlining stuff so just use caps. I wouldn't worry about it. It's hard to tell tone from text anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's tricky to be sure, but I'm also an intern, and don't want to come off as a doormat.

I also need to be careful, as I can be scathing and don't want to get myself in trouble.

Actually, as an intern, you should absolutely come off as a doormat to those you answer to, as far as professionalism goes

Definitely not your job to tone police. In her language, she's not yelling at all - if you're reading it as such, it's a you problem and you don't have leverage to change the local culture

Drop it, absolutely nothing good can come from bringing it up

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
Don't say anything, just remember how it feels and treat people better when you're a supervisor.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46958

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
You made mistakes on account of being lazy, got corrected on them, and your takeaway was that she was maybe accidentally being rude if you look at it just right.

Yes, because while it was once incidence of being laid back, it doesn't condone the possible lack of awareness she may have.

When I was working back at a 9-5 full time, as an employee and not an intern, I would never address others with CAPS because it comes off with a tone. I always placed text in bold or italics.

Nov 9, 2017
Yes, because while it was once incidence of being laid back, it doesn't condone the possible lack of awareness she may have.

When I was working back at a 9-5 full time, as an employee and not an intern, I would never address others with CAPS because it comes off with a tone. I always placed text in bold or italics.

YOU are in the right, make sure everyone else knows it too.

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bit early for weekend threads isn't it? Honestly kinda shocked this is a legit thread lol.

War Peaceman

Oct 28, 2017
I would say the fault here is with the manager. If they wanted clear instruction, they have failed - it has ony created confusion and uncertainty in the OP.

She probably meant nothing by it, but equally as a person in a position of power, she should have been mindful of how she comes across, especially to a new/junior member of staff.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
If I didn't know you were being serious I'd think you were joking, let it go.

Nov 17, 2017
What? No. You're just very strongly opinionated.
Again, I've said that while I think it's rude and unprofessional, it's not to any extent that it's worth making a fuss out of and when it's happened to me in the past, I've at most found it annoying. You decided to skip over me saying that to push that I was really upset and strongly opinionated. You don't get why I'm annoyed at how you're choosing to frame my argument?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Again, I've said that while I think it's rude and unprofessional, it's not to any extent that it's worth making a fuss out of and when it's happened to me in the past, I've at most found it annoying. You decided to skip over me saying that to push that I was really upset and strongly opinionated. You don't get why I'm annoyed at how you're choosing to frame my argument?

I will leave you alone, sir.

Apath

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm conflicted. This woman offered me some feedback on work I sent over on Friday, and that's all well and good.

What I don't like is the fact that she CAPPED the things i should NOT do, and it feels like there's a tone and she's yelling? Could she not be aware? Should I bring it to her attention and how? I don't want to seem antagonistic myself, but you will watch how you address me.

What do you think Era, is there a tone in CAPPING letters? I always feel it should be in italics or bold for emphasis. I also don't want to be sensitive so idk.
Have you spoken to her in person? Does she come across as someone who yells a lot? I feel like you are interpreting a tone that isn't there. She is emphasizing using caps instead of bolding, underlining, or italicizing her font.

But more than any of that, even if my manager were "raising their voice" in an email by capitalizing, so long as the feedback is constructive and not just trying to denigrate my work or character, I cannot imagine being offended by it. I agree with everyone else telling you to let it go. I've run into much worse from people dozens of times during my career and I don't know how I'd have dealt with those situations had I let something like this bother me.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019

this is a joke thread, right?

if on the off chance this is actually real... let it go.

or

good luck in your future endeavours

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
It's tricky to be sure, but I'm also an intern, and don't want to come off as a doormat.

I also need to be careful, as I can be scathing and don't want to get myself in trouble.

Edit: Shadow222, yeah that's what I also considered.
Yeah, don't be that intern. Correcting something like this is just going to come off as annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.