Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Transformers the movie is only 1/3 a bad movie, the middle bits, between the attack on Autobot city, and the fight against Unicron. But yeah, that part really sucks. It contains the best line of the movie tho: I have nothing but contempt for this court.

Googleplex

Oct 25, 2017
Transformers the movie is only 1/3 a bad movie, the middle bits, between the attack on Autobot city, and the fight against Unicron. But yeah, that part really sucks. It contains the best line of the movie tho: I have nothing but contempt for this court.

The actual best line is: "For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet, Cybertron. But now, you shall witness... its DISMEMBERMENT"

Transformer the Movie is tied with Masters of the Universe for my Guilty pleasure movies.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
But the Kup/Hot Rod robot ocean planet stuff is the best part.

PeacefulDream

Oct 25, 2017
I found this one really relatable and has some great points about the movie. This more personal vlog style is a nice twist on his stuff.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
The actual best line is: "For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet, Cybertron. But now, you shall witness... its DISMEMBERMENT"

Transformer the Movie is tied with Masters of the Universe for my Guilty pleasure movies.

If you want a unicron quote, go with "Then pleases me...to be the first."

But the Kup/Hot Rod robot ocean planet stuff is the best part.

It doesn't have Dare or the Touch, so it's already out of the running.

(for the record, Dare is the better song)

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

"I've got better things to do tonight than die."

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017

Not an April Fools joke, but a very deep video... about a very bad movie

You're talking about the animated movie??

giphy.gif

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, even as a kid I found the middle act a trudge to get through. The battle at Autobot City is great, the fight with Unicron is great, but everything in the middle outside of Megatron meeting Unicron and Starscream getting zapped is just eeeeeeeeeh.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I love this movie, it's the only movie as a kid where I actually wore out the VHS with rewatches.

Hbomberguy rules and I'm nearly finished with this video. Lotta themes I never really bothered to recognize in the movie that make me appreciate it more as an adult -- they seem completely obvious now that they're being pointed out but I never really bothered to frame the film beyond my persisting childlike appreciation...

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
feel free to use this excuse to discuss this masterpiece of a film. Myself, however, will abstain.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to come out and say it: GI Joe: the movie is better, with an amazing opening sequence, and a better storyline.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great video and definitely helped me view the film in ways that I would've never thought to on my own. I love this movie even with all of it's problems (Namely the Junkion planet and any scene pertaining to it).

Also Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime are great and will always be my favorite character.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
The movie does sink once everyone gets separated, what with the Sharkticons and the junk planet. It is a good movie overall.

Granted, I first watched it...7 and a half years ago? Has it really been that long? I was 26 years old.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
People who say Transformers the movie is bad are simply wrong. Sorry..yeah it's a commercial, yeah it kills of Optimus Prime, but the ladder part is what makes the movie so great. It does something that nobody thought it happen on a kids movie.

The only weak part of the movie for me at least is the ending feels rushed.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another best Unicron line is:

Megatron, near death: ...what's in it for me?
Unicron: Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Actually, let's all just relive the whole sequence of events together

Last edited:

jp319

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing I dislike about the movie is that orange robot that speaks in rhymes. Otherwise it's gas from start to finish.

New002

Oct 25, 2017
I've been watching this movie *at least* once a year since, with the help of my mom, I got a money order to mail to a business in Canada in return for a VHS copy of the movie. That was some 20+ years ago. That movie had the uncut "shit" and "hell."

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The 1987 is trash and anyone propping up Gen 1 as some sort of good fiction is crazy.

Beast Wars and Prime are all that matters.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I like a lot of this guy's videos on subjects not related to media, but he has a pathetic need to dismiss anything that doesn't fit his warped definition of "adult".

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I love his videos and agree with his politics but at the same time almost unilaterally disagree with him on anything to do with media.

First Fallout 3, then Dark Souls 2, and now Transformers: The Movie...

Edit: Forgot Sherlock, as well.

HadesHotgun

Oct 25, 2017
Harris continues his unbroken streak of god awful taste and complete lack of appreciation for good movies. Boy is a hardcore Star Wars Prequels Apologist so I would not expect him to understand how to recognize a good movie from a bad one.

Transformers is a damn near perfect film. Easily one of Orson Welles top 3 greatest works.

Also, like, what kind of monster cringes at the Universal Greeting AS A CHILD?

Oct 29, 2017
Space
If anyone cares for my (and my brother's) long take. We've been doing a podcast where we ostensibly watch 80s movies, but really it's just the shit we watched as kids. YouTube link to Transformers:

I thought this thread was gonna be about someone spending their retirement account on Toys.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
I mean he's right.

The three main acts of the movie have nothing to do with each other. Unicron, the Quintessons, the Decepticons, they all more or less crash into each other and aren't meaningfully worked into the story. Which is odd, cuz the story originally planned to have the Quints be working FOR Unicron, only for them to change it?

There's too many "to sell toys" in the movie with multiple characters that don't contribute anything. Who lives and who dies is determined by whose toys are discontinued or not or who is a new one.

The Matrix comes out of nowhere as a huge important thing when seasons 1 and 2 have multiple instances where you'd go "wait, if he had this all along, where did it go when the quintessons rebuilt Optimus as a crocodile? Why didn't the Autobots ask Optimus to show it to them when the Decepticons sent a fake to impersonate him? Etc."

The movie is a colossal mess.

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
Since I havrnt watched that movie, I will abstain from giving my two cents.
Anyway, another good video, I will watch the movie to judge it myself.

Harris's Fallout 3 video and Sherlock video are spot on, I can't say I agree with his opninion on Star wars prequels, tho

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
The 1987 is trash and anyone propping up Gen 1 as some sort of good fiction is crazy.

Beast Wars and Prime are all that matters.
I've certainly never held the cartoon show up as any sort of good fiction (The Marvel comics were great though), but Beast Wars fell at the first hurdle for me as a kid by looking like shit. It's always been the concept of cool looking robots which turned into cool looking vehicles and machinery which appealed to me. Beast Wars had goofy looking robots which turned into even goofier looking animals. It never made sense to me as a kid why they even bothered to Transform at all.

Sir Hound

Oct 28, 2017
Great perspective but I disagree that it's a bad film. I watched it a few months ago and I loved it - but it is a music video over a narrative. Taken that way the film is almost perfect.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I've certainly never held the cartoon show up as any sort of good fiction (The Marvel comics were great though), but Beast Wars fell at the first hurdle for me as a kid by looking like shit. It's always been the concept of cool looking robots which turned into cool looking vehicles and machinery which appealed to me. Beast Wars had goofy looking robots which turned into even goofier looking animals. It never made sense to me as a kid why they even bothered to Transform at all.

The comics had optimus prime kill himself 23 issues in because he sacrificed the lives of computer characters. It wasn't great, and something that stupid rivals anything the show did.