• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just had someone log into my account and make a fraudulent order. Canceled it right away and changed my password, told CS and they are flagging the card as fraudulent and closed the account afterwards.

Strangest thing, they tried to purchase some $10 apple headphones, delivered to their address in Florida but the CC wasn't mine but did have my name for the billing address. Strange

Anyways, make sure to stay vigilant.

[thread title edited for accuracy -- one anecdote does not suggest a data breach for the entire site]

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this once since seems important to me. Maybe we need a data breach thread

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
Have you checked haveibeenpwnd.com? You might have been compromised on another site and they used that data to try and log in on multiple sites.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
That's interesting that they weren't using your card information. Oh, I guess it would be a stolen card that was being used instead. They'd also have to be using an address that isn't theirs.

rhn94

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao alright... other than vague anecdotal evidence do you have anything? Or just scared feelings because you don't know how technology works?

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's virtually impossible for a data breach to be confirmed by a single end-user.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
$10 Apple headphones don't exist. What the heck you talking about?

In the 10 or so years of having credit cards, I've only ever had a fraudulent charge once... it was a ~$500 purchase at Walmart.com.

Lost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
200w.gif

kreepmode

Oct 25, 2017
OP, just last week I received a notification that I had opened a Walmart credit card (I have credit monitoring setup), which was a super red flag as its been a while since I actually opened an account, let alone with Walmart. I called them immediately and had it cancelled. Someone in Orlando (I live in Virginia) ordered over $700 worth of stuff on the card. I'm supposed to be getting the statement in the mail so I can see what they ordered. Now I also have to contact the 3 credit agencies to tell them to put a hold on letting anyone open a new account under my name.

Why is it always Florida?

Tecnniqe

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Antarctica
OP, just last week I received a notification that I had opened a Walmart credit card (I have credit monitoring setup), which was a super red flag as its been a while since I actually opened an account, let alone with Walmart. I called them immediately and had it cancelled. Someone in Orlando (I live in Virginia) ordered over $700 worth of stuff on the card. I'm supposed to be getting the statement in the mail so I can see what they ordered. Now I also have to contact the 3 credit agencies to tell them to put a hold on letting anyone open a new account under my name.

Why is it always Florida?
Because it's nice and sunny =)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Talk to a credit agency first. Wishing you all the best, but that title is straight up wrong

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
Had me worried for a bit. Seems like an isolated incident. Change your password to something other than "password".

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
1. Don't store your Credit Cards on web stores.

2. Don't use simple passwords.

3. Don't use the same password on multiple web accounts.

4. If you used the same email/password on the Walmart site on other web accounts you have, go change all of them to unique passwords right now. Do not reuse the same password on multiple sites.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
TI92 This is the second time you've made a thread with a similarly inaccurate title. It's fine if you want to share what happened to you to encourage others to secure their accounts with T2A and so on, but please stop jumping to conclusions and making sensationalized thread titles.

(Also, I would suggest you choose more secure passwords in the future, or use a password manager... Just a thought. ^^)

OP
OP
TI92

TI92

Alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TI92 This is the second time you've made a thread with a similarly inaccurate title. It's fine if you want to share what happened to you to encourage others to secure their accounts with T2A and so on, but please stop jumping to conclusions and making sensationalized thread titles.

(Also, I would suggest you choose more secure passwords in the future, or use a password manager... Just a thought. ^^)

Yeah I use a password manager, just hadn't changed this one since I never use Walmart for anything lol. And okay I'll try and use less crazy titles in the future. What's also weird is Walmart can only do 12 character passwords. I tried to do a 120 character just to mess with the hacker lol.

And yes users ive checked haveibeenpwnd before, nothing crazy there either.