• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Hi All,

I recently bought the Last Guardian recently due to the sale and finally got the chance to play it. My wife walks in sees Trico and the Boy. She is interested what will happen and curious about their relationship. She grabs the controller and to my amazement, the Hints on the screen are done so good she was able to know what button and sticks do and when they should be used. Hardcore people might hate this but it definitely was an under rated feature. We will hopefully beat this game together. 😊

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on sharing your hobby with your wife, OP :)

I'm currently playing lots of smash with my GF. We never played a lot together, but now it's actually she who asks me if I want to smash.

Drain You

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
I don't know whats to hate, that sounds awesome. Only thing that is boggling my mind is that this is her first console game. That's nuts.

Wink784

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't that game really awkward and clumsy to control??
No. Its controls contribute to its personality. If players, instead of walking into a game with set expectations of how it is supposed to work would approach it with the intent of understanding how it's actually working, then TLG controls would largely be considered a success. Ergo, someone picking up a controller for the first time without expectations of how things should feel, but open for what is being presented, plays the game the most ideal way.

OP
OP
Dante316

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah she wasn't bothered by the controls, I do help if the camera is too wild for her. The "clumsy" and slow natured gameplay are being the factors in her enjoyment.

OP
OP
Dante316

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know whats to hate, that sounds awesome. Only thing that is boggling my mind is that this is her first console game. That's nuts.
She really hasn't been interested in any games I have played before. The last guardian has been the only one that has caught her attention to say gimmie that controller.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My 6 year old daughter loved the game, she actually progressed a lot when i left her with it for an hour. She spends most of her time petting Trico though

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
The controls were absolutely fine (as was the camera). Games should't be lambasted for doing its own thing. I hate it when every game just controls the same as the one before it; it's a huge part of the AAA homogenization that's been going on these last years. Last Guardian did what it needed to do for the game and it worked wonderfully.

Necron

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
My girlfriend also loved Trico. The Last Guardian for all its faults is really memorable and unique.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
My wife doesn't play at all. Every now and then I try a game I think she might like - but no.

However that changed with VR. Turns out she's a psycho and loves shooting range type games and throwing knives at people. Love it :D

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's great, TLG really seems like an interesting and engaging game! Cool that your wife gave it a try. Also, gotta admit that I LOL'd at the "Hardcore people might hate this" part, that almost read like a bait headline.

Hardcore people might hate this, but what happens next when his wife sees the on-screen button prompts is UNBELIEVABLE

Oct 28, 2017
Please don't underestimate your wife's ability to play a videogame, it sounds really childish to act in amazement of things like this and it almost sounds condescending. Seriously, she's an adult.

OP
OP
Dante316

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Please don't underestimate your wife's ability to play a videogame, it sounds really childish to act in amazement of things like this and it almost sounds condescending. Seriously, she's an adult.
Well I will be amazed because she's not a fan of this hobby and she's finally excited about wanting to play something. I'm just happy she can somewhat understand why I enjoy games

OP
OP
Dante316

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
That's great, TLG really seems like an interesting and engaging game! Cool that your wife gave it a try. Also, gotta admit that I LOL'd at the "Hardcore people might hate this" part, that almost read like a bait headline.

Hardcore people might hate this, but what happens next when his wife sees the on-screen button prompts is UNBELIEVABLE
Lol good point, it seems baity..had no intention of it

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trico out there impressing all the ladies.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Have you shown her Detroit OP?

Being married to a gamer, and presumably having seen a lot of games before this, and only now wanting to play herself, that actually is amazing.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
OP, let us know her reactions when Trico make cute things like play on the puddle or chase/keep starting at the birds. Those moments actually made me say "Awww"

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Last Guardian is wonderful, and I feel bad for anyone who disliked the experience because the controls weren't their idea of what the controls should be.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi All,

I recently bought the Last Guardian recently due to the sale and finally got the chance to play it. My wife walks in sees Trico and the Boy. She is interested what will happen and curious about their relationship. She grabs the controller and to my amazement, the Hints on the screen are done so good she was able to know what button and sticks do and when they should be used. Hardcore people might hate this but it definitely was an under rated feature. We will hopefully beat this game together. 😊
Now try the same thing with Until Dawn and Detroit: Become Human. Worked for me. Now she's asking me all the time when Until Dawn 2 is coming.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad your wife finally gets to see how far videogames have come.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Your wife starts out with the greatest game of this generation. It's all downhill from here unfortunately OP

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
My wife tried to play Heavy Rain when it came out. Couldn't control the character and got frustrated, so she mostly just stuck with games like The Room on iPad. A few months ago she got Minecraft on iPad and that's all she played. Over Thanksgiving some of my family came in and they had a Switch. So my wife went out and bought one (with Minecraft and Stardew Valley). I also got her into Dragon Quest Builders.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017
My wife doesn't play at all. Every now and then I try a game I think she might like - but no.

However that changed with VR. Turns out she's a psycho and loves shooting range type games and throwing knives at people. Love it :D
Same. However I finally broke through last week with Snipperclips. She was in tears laughing she loved it so much. First console game I've got her to even try outside of Mario Kart in 10 years.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
In fact the hints are essential given how bad the controls,the input lag and the general unresponsiveness of this game is.

OP
OP
Dante316

Dante316

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully will provide more updates, didn't get chance to play today. But looking forward to showing more games. Ik she likes Mario lol but don't have a switch