• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
You probably shouldn't say that here. It took only a few minutes for people in this very thread to basically accuse me of being a Nazi because I didn't see the tiny logo in the middle of the cross.

I'd say report it and don't let them get to you. Stuff like this only has power if you let it.

You could read the thread or double-check the image before posting if you don't want a dogpile.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
It will get dealt with. There is no need to limit the functionality of a social console out of fear. Adults need to understand and accept there is always going to be a small percentage of offensive shit that manages to slip through automatic detection systems, that will then be punished retroactively when reported.

It's not as if Major Nelson will be dancing in his office right now going, fuck yeah, free speech bro!

Yep, stuff like this is bound to happen with any system that allows customization (gamerpics, gamertags, club names, etc.) Report them whenever you see them, and raise the living dead when they're not dealt with in a timely fashion.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Uhm, just changing the icon isn't enough when the name of the community references the Nazi party...

The whole thing needs to be nuked.

Take5GiantSteps

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
I didn't read the thread. Still doesn't change th brave I missed the tiny logo in the middle of the cross. Sue me

Lol. Sounds like maybe you should read the thread or double-check yourself next time then. I asked if you were joking and told you to zoom in less than a minute after you posted. Could have saved you a lot of headaches.

Sue me.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
You probably shouldn't say that here. It took only a few minutes for people in this very thread to basically accuse me of being a Nazi because I didn't see the tiny logo in the middle of the cross.

I'd say report it and don't let them get to you. Stuff like this only has power if you let it.

The bolded text is making you look even worse. Neo nazis and white supremacists killed several people in this country last year, and are guiding policies that have brought harm to many millions more.

The onus should not be on a 10 year old Disney fan to prevent these people from mobilizing on Microsofts social media platform. A platform they choose to further legitimize by proactively recommending groups to its users with zero oversight.

I should be able to turn this group shot off my dash. If I join a group it'll be because a friend invited me.

modsbox

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back into XB1 platform with the purchase of an X1X recently. Can someone help me understand if it is possible to suppress invitations to join groups and/or ads in Settings somewhere? My kids often use my Xbox and as a simple proactive fix here I'd rather just not make it possible for these invitations to surface in the UI at all.

DevilPuncher

Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't read the thread. Still doesn't change th brave I missed the tiny logo in the middle of the cross. Sue me
Typically people don't double down when they get called out on not reading a thread and then subsequently derailing it. I don't think that this approach will work too well for you...

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
But they are, that is why the report functionality exists. As much as I'm on board to accept this is offensive and unacceptable on XBL, I'm not quite signed up to anyone in here acting like their day is ruined and they can't turn on their Xbox again without fearing the dashboard. Like with a lot of content creation on networks, things will slip through automatic detection, or simply need to be reported. That's why decent reporting tools are required. All of this content, whether it be groups, usernames, messages or more can be traced back to account creators, and as it says in the T&C for these services your account can be terminated or suspended as a disciplinary action. MS will already be inundated with constant reports of rude messages on XBL and soundclips of recordings from screaming teenagers playing Halo. You'll find the teams that moderate the online network handle a whole host of reports.

If MS do not do anything about this being reported, then you can be more on their case. For now it's just one example of something that may slip through a word blacklist, as it doesn't expclicitly state "Nazi", and image detection, as the swastika, while incredibly recognisable despite some trolling this topic saying "it's not a swastika", is a shape, so, AI shape detection always has to air on the side of caution. It's not quite the same as nudity filters which have a much higher hit ratio of not producing false positives. This is why games like LBP even panic about allowing users to upload their own images, as it's a nightmare to try and moderate.

The problem I have with people saying "just report it", is that it means the moderation is entirely passive. For it to be removed a customer has to actually see it first, and that customer has to be sufficiently disgusted by it to go through the reporting process. But there are a lot of of people who aren't, and are willing to let it continue to fester - and there's quite a few people today who might actually agree with the group's message. Platforms have a responsibility to make sure these views don't proliferate.

Personally I think social platforms need to be a bit more proactive in their response. A while ago Instagram's shitty algorithm recommended me a video (thankfully not graphic) of what appeared to be someone slipping off a ledge and falling into an active volcano. Did I report it? Of course I pressed that report button as quickly as I could - but you know what, I would have much rather preferred if that thing never appeared on my screen to begin with. (And of course, to actually report the video you have to first tap to make the thing full screen, great UI design, Instagram.) The fact is, the reason why that video appeared on my screen is that it became viral to some extent - a video so outrageous people can't help but look, much like how millions ended up watching that stupid Logan Paul video to the point where it became one of the top trending videos on the site. By the time the reports come in and the website moderators finally remove it, the damage has already been done. The moderators are simply the clean up crew.

Oct 27, 2017
You could read the thread or double-check the image before posting if you don't want a dogpile.

Or people (mostly whites on this forum, let's face it) could stop randomly accusing others being of Nazis/racists. Because half the time you guys are making asses out of yourselves when you realize your target is a minority that would be instantly exterminated in WW2-Germany.

I don't need people who's ancestors enslaved blacks for 300 years, pillaged/genocided 90% of the native american population, and stole other country's land to call me a Nazi. That's a white supremacists thing, doesn't even have anything to do with me or my people. We don't do that shit.

Take5GiantSteps

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Or people (mostly whites on this forum, let's face it) could stop randomly accusing others being of Nazis/racists. Because half the time you guys are making asses out of yourselves when you realize your target is a minority that would be instantly exterminated in WW2-Germany.

I don't need people who's ancestors enslaved blacks for 300 years, pillaged/genocided 90% of the native american population, and stole other country's land to call me a Nazi. That's a white supremacists thing, doesn't even have anything to do with me or my people. We don't do that shit.

Please show me where I called them a Nazi/racist.

I told them to avoid drive-by posting to avoid dogpiles. Pretty sound advice, clearly, given this thread.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Just got back into XB1 platform with the purchase of an X1X recently. Can someone help me understand if it is possible to suppress invitations to join groups and/or ads in Settings somewhere? My kids often use my Xbox and as a simple proactive fix here I'd rather just not make it possible for these invitations to surface in the UI at all.
Mhm, there are options for that! Set up their accounts under an adult account (yours in this case) in Microsoft Family. From there you can set screen time options and privacy settings. Here's a sample of some of the settings:

2HRudgJ.png

I was actually changing settings for my family so this was a great time to screenshot this haha. Xbox and Switch have great parental control settings, the former having more specific account controls.

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem I have with people saying "just report it", is that it means the moderation is entirely passive. For it to be removed a customer has to actually see it first, and that customer has to be sufficiently disgusted by it to go through the reporting process. But there are a lot of of people who aren't, and are willing to let it continue to fester - and there's quite a few people today who might actually agree with the group's message.

Personally I think social platforms need to be a bit more proactive in their response. A while ago Instagram's shitty algorithm recommended me a video (thankfully not graphic) of what appeared to be someone slipping off a ledge and falling into an active volcano. Did I report it? Of course I pressed that report button as quickly as I could - but you know what, I would have much rather prefer if that thing never appeared on my screen to begin with. (And of course, to actually report the video you have to first tap to make the thing full screen, great UI design, Instagram.) The fact is, the reason why that video appeared on my screen is that it became viral to some extent - a video so outrageous people can't help but look, much like how millions ended up watching that stupid Logan Paul video to the point where it became one of the top trending videos on the site. By the time the reports come in and the website moderators finally remove it, the damage has already been done. The moderators are simply the clean up crew.

Moderation is not entirely passive. I already explained a lot will be picked up by automated systems. Try and create a group called "A bunch of Dicks looking to Fuck some Cunts", with a logo of an erect penis in all its glory. See if that slips by.

Honestly, as much as the OP was right to make this topic to highlight this, and get some mass reporting going on, some of you need to understand and accept how things work in the imperfect world we currently have with content creation and the battle of handling the small numbers of offensive content that slips by. This should be gone within a calendar day, tops, probably a few hours now that it's getting reported a lot. How is that the end of the world and "damage already being done"? I seriously doubt anyone is becoming a Nazi because of this group and Resetera topic. It's offensive content that shouldn't be on the service, and it will get dealt with.

Going off on tangents to talk about Logan Paul and YouTube, who routinely do not ban/discipline or restrict has nothing to do with MS here. Reign the emotions in a bit and accept this for what it is. A sad user generated group name/logo which is unsuitable for XBL, and something that now it is being reported will get closed and possibly the creator disciplined. MS has a reasonable history with aiming to deal with shit reported on their service.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
I would create your kids their own accounts as part of your family, then you can customize their settings (as shown above as well). I can't recall exactly if you can completely block groups, but I know you can prevent them from adding friends so I would imagine so... I'd need to check. My kids are getting old enough where I've allowed some things, although I still block voice communication for them.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
It will get dealt with. There is no need to limit the functionality of a social console out of fear, especially not gating even more behind paywalls considering everything on consoles currently gated off. Adults need to understand and accept there is always going to be a small percentage of offensive shit that manages to slip through automatic detection systems, that will then be punished retroactively when reported.

It's not as if Major Nelson will be dancing in his office right now going, fuck yeah, free speech bro!

I understand there will always be a risk to social features, but my main issue is that this isn't just some small mistake. This is a public facing hate club that is literally being recommended from a viewing a children's game in the marketplace.

If that's possible in however the current set up is, then I believe that's a failure on the part of MS and the team at Xbox. Not only has it successfully evaded moderation in its creation, but its now being actively recommended to people.

I'm not going out and selling my Xbox in protest or anything, I'm just saying that in a world where the normalization of that kind of hate filled ideology is already an issue, seeing something like this only furthers the problem, and to potentially even younger minds than what is in this thread.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I understand there will always be a risk to social features, but my main issue is that this isn't just some small mistake. This is a public facing hate club that is literally being recommended from a viewing a children's game in the marketplace.

If that's possible in however the current set up is, then I believe that's a failure on the part of MS and the team at Xbox. Not only has it successfully evaded moderation in its creation, but its now being actively recommended to people.

I'm not going out and selling my Xbox in protest or anything, I'm just saying that in a world where the normalization of that kind of hate filled ideology is already an issue, seeing something like this only furthers the problem, and to potentially even younger minds than what is in this thread.

It's no different a system than Netflix recommending based off of statistical similarities. Someone already explained earlier what happens with groups. If the owners play a game, or the groups playing a game, or something like that, a system will try to randomly recommend groups to you that have other XBL gamers with similar tastes. Did you see the Gay Furry group recommended earlier because of a Night in the Woods?

So now MS is trying to turn kids into Gay Furries? No, it's because people in that group, maybe most of the group, has played a Night in the Woods.

This is not MS normalizing a hateful ideology, for goodness sake, it's the "funny" consequence of an automated recommendation system linking a Disney game to an offensive XBL group that shouldn't be on the service. And before anyone gets smart with this post, as that other poster said earlier, there is nothing wrong with Gay Furries. The comparison here is to show how an automated system for recommendations cares not about group name, but what the users of said group are playing.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely disgusting, MS need to refine whatever logic they use to determine offensive pictures. I can't say I'm shocked to see racist gamer groups but I really hope this stuff isn't being pushed onto kids or MS have a lot to answer for.

OP should put this on Reddit and watch it grow

Last edited:

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
It's no different a system than Netflix recommending based off of statistical similarities. Someone already explained earlier what happens with groups. If the owners play a game, or the groups playing a game, or something like that, a system will try to randomly recommend groups to you that have other XBL gamers with similar tastes. Did you see the Gay Furry group recommended earlier because of a Night in the Woods?

So now MS is trying to turn kids into Gay Furries? No, it's because people in that group, maybe most of the group, has played a Night in the Woods.

This is not MS normalizing a hateful ideology, for goodness sake, it's the "funny" consequence of an automated recommendation system linking a Disney game to an offensive XBL group that shouldn't be on the service.

At what point did I say MS was actively trying to turn anyone into anything?

At this point I think we can just agree to disagree.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At what point did I say MS was actively trying to turn anyone into anything?

At this point I think we can just agree to disagree.

The fundamental misunderstanding that the group is being actively recommended because of it's name/logo/purpose, rather than accepting it's been recommended based off what the owners/people part of it are playing. This matters to contextualize or else you get people unfairly stating MS are somehow responsible for pushing Nazi-ism.

The hilarious PR nightmare for both Disney and MS hinges on the fact it's their "operating system" which has caused this unfortunate mix. Not anything of actual intent/purpose. Someone in that group has played a Disney game, and now the group has been recommended to the OP because of said Disney game.

Starburns

Oct 30, 2017
Denver
Yeah, put me firmly in the column of "oh great, what's this overblown shit about" up until I opened the thread. WOW.

WOW. Hard to believe they don't have group content filters. Though, I'd imagine they will soon.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Oh fuck off.

If your going to allow the creation of social features like clubs on your platform, an automated moderation system is a joke.

Human language is fluid, it constantly evolves from day to day making a blacklist of specific words and phrases useless when there will always be another word to be used in place of whatever is blacklisted.

Leaving it all up to a report system is also a failure, as any club creator can just hide their club from public searching and proceed to invite whoever they wish. No, they wont show up as obvious as they do here, but they still exist in way that the platform owner has a responsibility to not allow, and in a way where they can get people to their club.

And the current set up is not the best possible solution either. Limiting creation of clubs to gold members would be a solid first step, instantly making the amount of possible clubs a measurable number.​

So every console manufacturer should ensure manual approval for gamertags?

Automated systems are fine so long as companies act promptly when inappropriate content is reported.

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY
The fundamental misunderstanding that the group is being actively recommended because of it's name/logo/purpose, rather than accepting it's been recommended based off what the owners/people apart of it are playing. This matters to contextualize or else you get people unfairly stating MS are somehow responsibly for pushing Nazi-ism.

Context matters.

In what you quoted the use of actively is referring to the fact the automated system deciding all this is now (actively) recommending it to people outside of it, not something that can just be searched and found.

I'm aware MS isn't literally deciding who gets to see the club and who doesnt.

So every console manufacturer should ensure manual approval for gamertags?

Automated systems are fine so long as companies act promptly when inappropriate content is reported.

Automated systems are fine, I'm taking issue with the fact this one in particular has failed so spectacularly.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just gonna leave this here
4525274963_b7d8ea6e7c_z.jpg

And I'll just leave this here

https://www.resetera.com/posts/3618126/

Context matters.

In what you quoted the use of actively is referring to the fact the automated system deciding all this is now (actively) recommending it to people outside of it, not something that can just be searched and found.

I'm aware MS isn't literally deciding who gets to see the club and who doesnt.

But that is what matters here? This is the context of an unfortunate scenario of mishaps. The group getting through any automated moderation, the owners then playing Disney games, and a random person who has also played a Disney game being recommended to join a Nazi group on XBL. It's a comical line of mishaps, that one should be able to laugh at due to the imperfection surrounding AI/automated systems, whilst simultaneously reporting for removal.

MuzikFreq

Oct 26, 2017

But that is what matters here? This is the context of an unfortunate scenario of mishaps. The group getting through any automated moderation, the owners then playing Disney games, and a random person who has also played a Disney game being recommended to join a Nazi group on XBL. It's a comical line of mishaps, that one should be able to laugh at due to the imperfection surrounding AI/automated systems, whilst simultaneously reporting for removal.
Ah thank you for clearing this up.
Wow.. So that's a thing

Zeta Ori

Oct 25, 2017
NY

I just can't find the situation comical when at it's core, it furthers the reach of violent and hate fueled ideology, even in a miniscule way such as this.

Deleted member 888

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Automated systems are fine, I'm taking issue with the fact this one in particular has failed so spectacularly.

I broke it down earlier, but I'll do it again with more examples. The words themselves, nationalist and socialist are not going to be blacklisted outright. Unless used within a certain context, of which an automated system may struggle to decipher, they're not necessarily offensive words. The political party I vote for in the UK is the Scottish Nationalist Party. SNP. Absolutely nothing to do with Nazis. Socialist/socialism, again, not necessarily anything to do with Nazis given multiple contextual political uses of the world. I don't need to explain how Womens and League will not be part of a blacklist.

The logo, well, this could have been more likely to get caught. However, go lookup White Supremacist or Neo-Nazi logos. There's a lot. Yes, the Swastika is often a re-occuring part of all the images, but automatic image detection in general is very hard to implement without false positives. Need I remind everyone here of the topic on GAF around Destiny 2 armour and everyone being convinced it was KEK and there was white supremacists working for Bungie? It ended up being chevrons, double K design and "unfortunate" similarities. Images outside of nudity may often require manual intervention, and even with nudity, sometimes it can slip through as well.

"Accidental Swastikas" have often been a thing

A shoe company in the US has apologised and recalled a boot after a viral photo showed it left behind tiny swastika prints.

Conal International Trading Co, which manufactures the Polar Fox boot, said it was "no way intentional" and an "obvious mistake" made by manufacturers in China.

"We will not be selling any of our boots with the misprint to anyone," the company said in an open letter.

"We would never create a design to promote hate. We don't promote hate at our company."

The City of Industry company took action after a user on the social media site Reddit posted a picture of the boot's sole and the prints it made on the ground.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...alls-boot-swastika-prints-apologises-obvious/

Sometimes it's just a comical error of mishaps.

Last edited:

Easy_D

Oct 28, 2017
First they came for anime...
Then they came for Disney...

Terrible jokes aside, that's so stupid that this was even allowed to happen in the first place.

TheWorthyEdge

Oct 25, 2017
That's actually absurd. I'll admit, I laughed my wazoo off when I saw it was recommended for Disney Kingdom or whatnot.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The worst thing is that the name of the group dont match the image. It probably just using that name as a cover up for some more bad shit