• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
http://www.ausretrogamer.com/e3-news-my-arcade-to-launch-two-classic-bandai-namco-mini-players/

This was announced at E3, but nobody noticed. I liked the Data East mini player they put out earlier in the year, and this is looking to be a great compliment. It should be out by the end of the year.

Here's a render with a games list.

Namco-Museum-Mini-Player-Product-Sheet.png

Four of the games (Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures, Pac-Panic, Splatterhouse 2 and Rolling Thunder 3) are going to be the 16-bit Sega Genesis ROMs, while the remaining 16 will be the arcade ROMs. I'm not sure if Phelios or Battle City were ever released outside of Japan, and the rest looks to be familiar games, like Pac-Man, Galaga and Dig Dug.

Also, next month will see the release of a handheld that includes Pac-Man, Pac-Mania and Pac-Panic. Presumably those won't be the arcade ROMs for the first two.

Namco-Pocket-Player-2.png

So, between this, the Data East mini player and the Neo Geo Mini, it's like having an arcade without having to deal with the size and maintenance commitments of the real thing. I want to get one of these to go with my Data East mini cab, and get a Neo Geo Mini for the trifecta. Anyone else interested?

Fishsnot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Cute but there seems to be too many pieces of plastic clogging up peoples rooms now.
Mini consoles out the Wazoo.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Retro Classic Mini all the things!

Library is kinda small, so the success of this one will probably depend on the price. Also, from the link it sounds like there's no HDMI Out on this one?

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
I'm skeptical about the quality of the product but I'll never complain about more Pac-Man 2 representation.

OP
OP
twinturbo2

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
I'm skeptical about the quality of the product but I'll never complain about more Pac-Man 2 representation.
The quality of the Data East one was pretty good, IMO.
Retro Classic Mini all the things!

Library is kinda small, so the success of this one will probably depend on the price. Also, from the link it sounds like there's no HDMI Out on this one?
There was no HDMI out on the Data East one, so I doubt it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
What size is this? Tempted by rolling thunder and would be nice if you can either add rooms or just whack a pi in there and use the little cab+screen. Could have a little mini arcade lineup of a few of these if they had standardised size (which they likely won't)

OP
OP
twinturbo2

twinturbo2

Oct 27, 2017
Jupiter, FL
What size is this? Tempted by rolling thunder and would be nice if you can either add rooms or just whack a pi in there and use the little cab+screen. Could have a little mini arcade lineup of a few of these if they had standardised size (which they likely won't)
Looks to be the same size as the Data East one, which is 10" tall with a 4" screen.

If you guys want an actual arcade cab, Namco has something called Pac-Man's Pixel Bash coming out. That one has 32 games, although Ms. Pac-Man gets added to the list only if you put the machine into free play (no idea why). This one has an LCD screen, though, so games might look a little muddy compared to an original cab.

http://arcadeheroes.com/2018/06/19/bandai-namco-debuts-pac-mans-pixel-bash-at-bowl-expo-18/