• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

Village Roadshow Entertainment Group has acquired the film and television rights to the classic adventure puzzle video game Myst. The production company will mine the game's deep mythology of the Myst franchise to develop a multi-platform universe across film and television (both scripted and unscripted).

Village Roadshow will develop and produce the projects alongside Myst co-creators and brothers Rand and Robyn Miller, as well as Delve Media's Isaac Testerman and Yale Rice. Village Roadshow will take on a "full-scale approach" to developing Myst content, utilizing its entire creative team to adapt the properties across film and TV.

Myst was first released in 1993 by Cyan Productions, the video game development company co-founded by the Miller brothers in 1987. The first game sold over six million copies, making it the top-selling PC release for years until The Sims unseated it in 2002. Over the years, the franchise has grown to include nearly 10 individual titles which have cumulatively sold more than 15 million copies. There have also been a number of novels based on the game published by Hyperion.

The franchise features a deep canon spanning thousands of years of mythology and history, though the primary saga follows Atrus, the grandson of a woman named Anna who sets off a momentous series of events when she discovers a mysterious civilization, the D'ni, in a cavern deep beneath the New Mexico desert. The D'ni possess a unique ability to pen books that connect distant worlds, which serves as the catalyst for the Mystgames and novels.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Weird. I think, as long as it's not a direct adaptation of the games, it could work. There are events referenced throughout the series that could work well in film if the right people are producing.

SJurgenson

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm surprised at how accurate that summary is.

I could see some good Myst movies/TV shows if done right.

I want a Game of Thrones knockoff about King Kerath.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I could see myst making a really haunting and interesting film. Let Darren Aronofsky direct it. One actor for the entire film.

Chocobo Blade

The Wise Ones
Oct 29, 2017
The Myst lore is amazing so it could be good but I'd rather they returned to the franchise by making new games.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Hmm, the potential is definitively there. The first two books are pretty good. Together with the first two games they form a pretty compelling lore. If they focus on that this could be legitimately great.

Myst 3&4 felt more like fanfiction to me (well, they were not made by Cyan) and 5 and Uru are a bit too out there storywise for my taste even though the world and puzzle design was top notch.

napkins

Nov 18, 2017
Loads of potential.
If this came out in the 90s, I could imagine how it could be. Every episode would start in D'ni and Atrus would greet the audience and introduce the upcoming story. Maybe each episode could be self contained. Or maybe it could have been more like an anthology type show with new characters having to solve puzzles.
But with it coming out now, I have no idea what they'll do.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I really hope this turns out well, there's so much good Lore behind the games, and I hope they capture that atmosphere of them and don't try to shoehorn the story/lore into something that's formulaic.

For those that don't know Myst still has a VERY loyal fanbase to this day and Cyan is still making new games using crowdfunding because they have such a passionate fanbase still. Obduction, which was crowdfunded, turned out great and they more recently crowdfunded both a Myst 25th anniversary edition and a new game that they are working on called Firmament.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Either way I hope it goes somewhere this time. I wouldn't mind a streaming show at least about the D'ni.